Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:58:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions to prevent scammers launch new shitcoins  (Read 4774 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:04:59 PM

This is so disappointing. Do you have any solution to suggest about pool operators? It seems a good clue to add pool operators to that sentence in the OP.

It is, isn't it. I wish I had a solution but I don't. Unfortunately pools aren't allowed to advertise in ANN threads anymore, so there's really no way to know other than to check the source code for specific values. If they're missing, then you can only assume that the pools listed in the ANN post has some inside dealing with the coin dev; they couldn't bring their pool online otherwise.

I added your post to the OP, so other people express their suspicious experience with pools here.

Kewl hill of beans. Are you going to eventually put together a list of the exchanges/hashrate rental sites/pools suspected as being part of the scam coin ring? That's a good idea I think.   

Certainly I will do that. Waiting for more cases to find, then I will add a list of suspicious/scammer exchanges/hashrate rental sites/pools to the OP.

I have a good idea on how to start this list. Shoot me a PM.

LordPiccolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:10:02 AM

Oh look another scan coin in the way of jade coin, bittrex adds it and then boom!

Thankfully I never get burned by these but surely there is a way to stop this happening?

▄███████████████████████   
    █████████████████████████   
    ███████           ███████   
    ███████          ▄███████   
    ███████   ▄▄▄▄███████████   
    ████████████████████████▀   
    ███████████████████▀▀▀       
    █████████████▀▀▀             
    ███████▀▀                   
    █████▀▀                     
    ▀▀▀                         

.phore.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
xD E L I V E R I N G   B L O C K C H A I N   T E C H N O L O G Yxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxT O   T H E   R E A L   W O R L Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
..Telegram....
..Facebook...
..Instagram...
..Youtube...
..LinkedIn...
..Twitter......
..Discord...
..Reddit.....
..Github.....
(██████████████████████████████
xphore.ioxx

██████████████████████████████████████
)
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:05:37 AM

The problem is, I really don't think there's anything you can do, unless the community at large begins to stop accepting the behaviour of these scammers. I remember when the community started just outright rejecting coins with large premines. The same has to be done with these ridiculous mostly-premined coins. IPOs should be held in safe escrow hands. Real, solid assurances that protect miners/investors/buyers.

Not just "we promise we're honest. honest".

There's a small group who are releasing scam coins, dumping, then moving on and starting others. I'm not the first to notice it. They look pretty, but that's all it is. All style and no substance. People need to stop being taken in by nice looking threads and wallets and ask some tough questions.

Who are you? Why should we trust you?

The problem is, some people are happy with this status-quo. Some people know they're scams, and are relying on people being suckered in and pushing up the price.

The community at large has to agree to a set of rules and standards coins must abide by to protect investors, and actively prevent the coin from getting anywhere if they don't agree to those terms.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Mr. Spread

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:09:49 PM

We need more miners of this coin. It is a good coin: no premine, fair launch, still solo-minable by wallet.
Would be nice if some pool (or the Dev) would be able to adapt some miner code in order for it to be minable with pools. It is X11 with an adaption in the timestamp code: 64 bit instead of 32 bit. Any poolowner around that has the skills to work on this?

Not possible. The hex values needed to identify the network is missing from the source code: SCAM COIN

^ obvious shit/scam coin called Spreadcoin or something... I couldn't resist, lol. It took me less than 2 minutes to navigate over to github and peek into the code.
My coin is not a scam. This method for detecting scams is flawed:
1. You search for these values in main.cpp. For different cryptocurrencies they may be in different files, for example for SpreadCoin they are in protocol.cpp, for Bitcoin they are in chainparams.cpp.
2. This values are not only for pools, they are necessary for ordinary nodes. If wallet source code is released then they are available to everyone.

For everyone else who is interested there is discussion about this (with me and Lucky Cris) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.100

Developer of SpreadCoin
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 03:02:40 AM

I have no interest in stopping scams - humans (Lego people) only learn things when there is a cost.

I however will point humorous scams like "NXT" out and help educate people.

if they don't listen, i also don't care, and find it amusing when they lose wealth.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
MajidBC (OP)

Activity: 182

KryptKoin is one of the best!!!

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:18:21 PM

I had the first esperiência with bitcoin in mid-2013.
Tried bitcoin miner with a HD 7870, but without success with mining, destroying the video card!
Then I discovered that bitcoin mining was only possible with professional miners (ASICs), I could not buy.
Then I met Doge coin, I got miner a little ...
I took the bank loan and bought a R9 290, and began altcoin mining in order to achieve some bitcoin. In my opnion prefer P2Pool.
Since then, I only managed to win two bitcoins, which sold to give a gift to my daughter.
So far not win anything, just expenses or investments (calculating all), depending on your point of view.
But I think there are some interesting ideas here, starting with the bitcoin which is also an idea (This is an experimental software). Smiley

Definitely there are some interesting ideas in crytocurrency world. Let's take anonymity related ideas. You can study a little about them here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=724208.0
Especially fluffypony's posts who is one of the Monero's dev team.

I wish a good future for your INVESTMENTS!
MajidBC (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:18:57 PM

I have no interest in stopping scams - humans (Lego people) only learn things when there is a cost.

if they don't listen, i also don't care, and find it amusing when they lose wealth.

They live, they learn, right?
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 09:17:52 PM

And they don't come back. That can't be good for business.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
MajidBC (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:46:45 AM

And the intention of this thread is to reduce the amount of people's lost. Some people just don't listen to others, it's like they want to be scammed. On some coin ann threads when I ask the dev to use his\her original username, other people don't back me up, instead they support the dev, Actually, the bagholder situation happens, which is mentioned on the OP.
LordPiccolo

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:57:57 AM

And the intention of this thread is to reduce the amount of people's lost. Some people just don't listen to others, it's like they want to be scammed. On some coin ann threads when I ask the dev to use his\her original username, other people don't back me up, instead they support the dev, Actually, the bagholder situation happens, which is mentioned on the OP.

I agree with what you're trying to do here, but in my experience, people don't listen at all!

I was over in the Mantiscoin thread yesterday and even though the dev has so far lived up to promises someone decided to spread fud and started a panic.

It's not just the scam coins we have an issue with here, it's muppets that start spreading crap because they want cheap coins.

▄███████████████████████   
    ███████████████████▀▀▀       
    █████████████▀▀▀             
    ███████▀▀                   
    █████▀▀                     
    ▀▀▀                         

.phore.

..Telegram....
..Facebook...
..Instagram...
..Youtube...
..LinkedIn...
..Twitter......
..Discord...
..Reddit.....
..Github.....
xphore.ioxx

)
MajidBC (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:56:10 AM

I agree with what you're trying to do here, but in my experience, people don't listen at all!

I was over in the Mantiscoin thread yesterday and even though the dev has so far lived up to promises someone decided to spread fud and started a panic.

It's not just the scam coins we have an issue with here, it's muppets that start spreading crap because they want cheap coins.

Apparently most of the coins have at least one permanent fudder. Democracy doesn't work all time. A self moderated thread is the solution. What do you think?
LordPiccolo

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:03:25 PM

Apparently most of the coins have at least one permanent fudder. Democracy doesn't work all time. A self moderated thread is the solution. What do you think?

I am all for letting people say what they think, but they should back it up and actual facts. I can ignore fud, it's easy to spot.

▄███████████████████████   
    ███████████████████▀▀▀       
    █████████████▀▀▀             
    ███████▀▀                   
    █████▀▀                     
    ▀▀▀                         

.phore.

..Telegram....
..Facebook...
..Instagram...
..Youtube...
..LinkedIn...
..Twitter......
..Discord...
..Reddit.....
..Github.....
xphore.ioxx

)
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 07:40:11 PM

Each person can already choose what coin to invest in and follow now without your vision of centralization becoming a reality

It's only centralisation if it goes beyond denouncing crapcoins and exhorting people not to buy them, with the exchanges voluntarily tightening up their policies to restore their reputations and win back the business of (most) people who withdrew their business in disgust.

But I do see what you're saying. Some people 'round here would rather have the quick fix, and centralizing does promise a quick fix.  

On a related point, "the free market" isn't a floating abstraction. If I take the pledge and vow to abjure crapcoins forevermore, in my own tiny way I am part of the free market. So are all others who voluntarily withdraw their business because they've had it.  

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 07:44:38 PM

Regulation on exchanges seems a little hard to implement.

You can buy a reasonably secure, ready-to-go, new exchange outright for less than ten thousand bucks' worth of Bitcoins in fiat terms. So yes, I would say that regulation on exchanges seems a little hard to implement... 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 07:55:15 PM

The problem is, I really don't think there's anything you can do, unless the community at large begins to stop accepting the behaviour of these scammers.

And that won't happen until they get the idea that buying or mining a crapcoin cynically for a quick profit is altcoin land's answer to a sucker bet, like drawing to the inside straight.

MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:20:34 PM

I think all of those accounts that instantly support a new coin and defend the dev are the dev's sock puppet accounts.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 02:16:57 AM

I think all of those accounts that instantly support a new coin and defend the dev are the dev's sock puppet accounts.

What else can we assume? In particular the n00bs, who just seem too overly excited about a coin when there's nothing to be excited about.

Lucky Cris

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 02:34:59 AM

We need more miners of this coin. It is a good coin: no premine, fair launch, still solo-minable by wallet.
Would be nice if some pool (or the Dev) would be able to adapt some miner code in order for it to be minable with pools. It is X11 with an adaption in the timestamp code: 64 bit instead of 32 bit. Any poolowner around that has the skills to work on this?

Not possible. The hex values needed to identify the network is missing from the source code: SCAM COIN

^ obvious shit/scam coin called Spreadcoin or something... I couldn't resist, lol. It took me less than 2 minutes to navigate over to github and peek into the code.
My coin is not a scam. This method for detecting scams is flawed:
1. You search for these values in main.cpp. For different cryptocurrencies they may be in different files, for example for SpreadCoin they are in protocol.cpp, for Bitcoin they are in chainparams.cpp.
2. This values are not only for pools, they are necessary for ordinary nodes. If wallet source code is released then they are available to everyone.

For everyone else who is interested there is discussion about this (with me and Lucky Cris) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.100

Ah, following me, I see. chainparams.cpp isn't used by any new coin nowadays. But it seems that one dev placed the network's hex value code in some obscure file, that that even the people who provide instructions on how to start p2pools don't know about. I wouldn't doubt that the coins where they're missing from main.cpp and found in protocol.cpp are all just clones of that one coin.

I'll say it here as well - I still don't have confidence in your coin. Actually, I have none. Your ANN has nothing special... nothing that would make me think that spreadcoin will maintain a permanent position in this scene; hell the only people who seem to be mining it are newbies like yourself.

MajidBC (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:23:16 AM

I am all for letting people say what they think, but they should back it up and actual facts. I can ignore fud, it's easy to spot.

It's not about "let people say what they think", actually they say what they don't think that way, I mean fudders. They want to to lower the price to buy cheap, or have personal hostility with the dev, or they are supporting another coin which is the rival of your coin, or want to extort the dev, or ...
bitbets

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:29:41 AM

Don't buy their coin, and they wont get rich

I dont know why altcoins went crazy over the new coins recently
(oh sure, they say they do this or that, but ... )

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                 
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,         
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖       
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌     
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,   
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`   
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████     
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜       
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀         
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin |  Trustless Anonymous Cryptocurrency |  PoSA3
Forum | Bitcointalk |  Twitter |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram |  IRC-Chat |  Faucet
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: