Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:03:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.2 FEE!!!! ? am i missing something?  (Read 12001 times)
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:55:17 PM

did i just lose a .2btc transaction because the fee was set at .2btc?

Aww man, I'm so sorry reading that!! Things can be confusing in advanced settings, yeah... Better just stick to the regular send-feature! I once almost screwed up with those long Bitcoin addresses. Mixed up a few numbers or letters. It was already pretty late and I was out partying!
It is really not possible in practice to mess up typing a BTC address. Your wallet program would likely not allow it, as if you make a typo it would most likely show up as being an invalid address. What could happen, and does somewhat frequently happen is you could copy the incorrect address to send the funds to. This is a similar but different problem that the OP had, as the OP setup the TX so too big of a fee would be given to the miners.
I think the OP's situation is an important lesson of the importance of attention to detail when using BTC.

Yeah it's those little things that people who know Bitcoin and know how to use it don't get. The normal person on the street wants something to be easy and safe. If it was possible to pay more than you intended to pay with your Credit Card, people would freak out as well!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:57:24 PM

Aww man, I'm so sorry reading that!! Things can be confusing in advanced settings, yeah... Better just stick to the regular send-feature! I once almost screwed up with those long Bitcoin addresses. Mixed up a few numbers or letters. It was already pretty late and I was out partying!
It is really not possible in practice to mess up typing a BTC address. Your wallet program would likely not allow it, as if you make a typo it would most likely show up as being an invalid address. What could happen, and does somewhat frequently happen is you could copy the incorrect address to send the funds to. This is a similar but different problem that the OP had, as the OP setup the TX so too big of a fee would be given to the miners.
I think the OP's situation is an important lesson of the importance of attention to detail when using BTC.

Yeah it's those little things that people who know Bitcoin and know how to use it don't get. The normal person on the street wants something to be easy and safe. If it was possible to pay more than you intended to pay with your Credit Card, people would freak out as well!

Sure, but BTC is more like cash. Irreversible.

if you drop a stack of 100$ notes when going out, they are gone.

If you pay someone too much and he is not cooperative, the money is gone.

I don't see the harm, but yes, everything could be more user friendly!

This spot for rent.
BowieMan

Activity: 154

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:04:24 PM

Yeah, sure. But that's exactly the thing. People want the security that Credit Cards offer them. I think they also still just have to learn to be more careful when it comes to Bitcoin. They shouldn't believe everyone and just send BTC to some address.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:05:55 PM

Yeah, sure. But that's exactly the thing. People want the security that Credit Cards offer them. I think they also still just have to learn to be more careful when it comes to Bitcoin. They shouldn't believe everyone and just send BTC to some address.

But the extra service that CC offer can just be offered using a service provider. In the background you could still use BTC.

Look at XAPO for example. Sure they fucked up by having such high fees, but that model is basically everything you said is missing from BTC.

This spot for rent.
DumDumz

Activity: 126

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:14:20 PM

i dont understand how to find the block, the miner, and then contacting them assuming i acquire all this info

BTCreward

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:28:58 PM

i dont understand how to find the block, the miner, and then contacting them assuming i acquire all this info
There is no real way to find the miner. The miner in question sent the blockreward to an "unknown" address so no one really knows which pool the block was mined on; it was probably someone who was solo mining with a lot of hashpower.

DannyElfman

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 07:34:41 PM

There is no real way to find the miner. The miner in question sent the blockreward to an "unknown" address so no one really knows which pool the block was mined on; it was probably someone who was solo mining with a lot of hashpower.

This address is very famous, as it has a big chunk of the network hash. The guesses in the forum are pretty educated and if OP does contact them and proves he is holder of the private key, there is a good chance he gets it back!

This spot for rent.
Panthers52

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

#SuperBowl50 #NFCchamps

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 08:36:32 PM

This address is very famous, as it has a big chunk of the network hash. The guesses in the forum are pretty educated and if OP does contact them and proves he is holder of the private key, there is a good chance he gets it back!
It has a small percentage of the hashrate when compared to most pools. AFAIK no one really knows the identity behind the address.

PGP 827D2A60

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:43:16 PM

I don't think it is quite famous enough so that most people know who it belongs to. If you look on blockchain.info it says "unknown ...address" so they don't really know who it belongs to.

This is a stretch but the OP could send a .0001 TX to the address with a message asking the owner of the address to contact him, it is a long should and the OP would likely get a lot of spam but IMO it is worth a shot.
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:53:08 PM

It has a small percentage of the hashrate when compared to most pools. AFAIK no one really knows the identity behind the address.

It has 6% now and had around that rate for weeks now (even months if the found links are correct)

This spot for rent.
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:45:29 PM

It has 6% now and had around that rate for weeks now (even months if the found links are correct)
Even a 5% or a 6% hashrate is pretty small. The fact that they are essentially solo mining likely means that they wish to remain anon and value their privacy. I would say that they are likely mining for financial reasons as opposed to an interest in BTC or wanting to help the network. Looking at the address history I do see some inputs that are from the ghash mining address so it is possible that they are mining on ghash as well. The OP could contact ghash to see if they can try to get contact info for the address, but I think that would be a long shot at best as ghash also values privacy.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:48:09 PM

If it is unknown, it's most likely ASICMiner that mined the block. They're currently ramping up tens of PH/s new hashing power in order to capture 20% of the total network! I think they're solo-mining on secret new addresses, therefore we don't know that it's them by now. He should try and contact baked cat.

BTCewdquestion (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:18:51 AM

I've sort of let it go for now, once i get another few minutes to follow up on this mistake of mine I will, but like others said, i could earn it back faster than tracking it down. realistically i have enough time to earn it back and track it down MotherF*krs!!! Sry its late..

This thread is fascinating, I am shocked at the response it has received.

I have contacted ghash, they responded with a "we dont know, sorry, wish we could help you further but we cant good luck"

as for bitfury, still no response.

As for others I have yet to contact.

And can someone elaborate a bit more on how I send a small tx with a message to the miner who mined that block... My understanding of bitcoin says that is nearly impossible but I am no expert..

I will say this, it would be cool as heck if i got it back, but I have lost and made hundreds of thousands of dollars in my life, so this is just one more little lesson a long the way.

Thank you guys for such an overwhelming response...

Now if any of you would like to help a lost cause.... 19E8Jx1adTUbonp3Y3RAGXgkDjkiW32Cif   Wink Wink Wink Wink
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:21:34 AM

I doubt it will do you any good, but please post here just in case: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=733875.0

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
rapta

Activity: 325

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:04:49 AM

This is one of the more interesting threads on this board.   This shows how mining can be extra profitable at times Smiley
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:53:28 AM

Yep compared to pools but still enought % of blocks and hash to become multi-milionare.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:56:32 AM

It's not known who controls it so it's probably meant to be as anonymous as they can be. Revealing their identity to give someone's 0.2 back is probably not going to happen.
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:06:10 AM

It's not known who controls it so it's probably meant to be as anonymous as they can be. Revealing their identity to give someone's 0.2 back is probably not going to happen.
Well it may really be bitfurys one but yep they want it anonymous if they don't answer.
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:54:00 AM

The receiver still got those 0.2 but you paid 0.2 from elesewhere to make it go through. That sucks man sorry.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:10:16 PM

The receiver still got those 0.2 but you paid 0.2 from elesewhere to make it go through. That sucks man sorry.

No, the receiver got 0.0001. The amount that was supposed to be the fee.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: