Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:40:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do if you received 20 bitcoins?  (Read 9713 times)
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 07:10:13 PM

Call me cynical, but I find it difficult to believe so many of you would really send back the coins.

Checkout the feedback that DannyHamilton left me (the escrow): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=16614

He sent 11.2 BTC to me by accident, I didn't even think a second about keeping it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:16:37 PM

Call me cynical, but I find it difficult to believe so many of you would really send back the coins.

Checkout the feedback that DannyHamilton left me (the escrow): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=16614

He sent 11.2 BTC to me by accident, I didn't even think a second about keeping it!

I mean it's not much different then finding money on the ground.  Not in the case of TwinWinNerd I expect.  I would think in that case he had a clue who the money belonged to but not sure. 
If I find a wallet with no ID in the street loaded with money I'd like to believe I'd make an effort to return the money but apart of me is really going to want to keep it I have no doubt.  Even then it is not the same situation I guess because with Bitcoin I could always just send the coins back where they came from.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:12:56 PM

Hold the majority of the coins.

Maybe buy some AM shares or play some dice on PD3
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:46:38 AM

Hold the majority of the coins.

Maybe buy some AM shares or play some dice on PD3

Solid strategy! Hodl
mrcashking

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:51:34 AM

I would hold 10 and flip the other 10 using altcoins. Rinse and repeat until Im a btc whale. lol
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:54:00 AM

Hold
1 or 2 bitcoins to play BiPolarBob
Buy some altcoins
Play on Primedice.

That is it.

Lucky Cris

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:58:51 AM

Nothing in this world is free. I'd send it back to the originating address.

Well, let me rephrase that. I'd send a few bitcents back asking if it were a mistake. Because ya never know... maybe someone wanted to bless me.

seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:02:06 AM

what a dumb ass OP is.

Are you still a fcktard who think bitcoin is some toy money?

Because the same question can be asked for USD, what would you do if you found $10k on the ground?

Bitcoin is money, now think how dumb you just sound.

My advice to you, spend it to have better education dumbass.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:07:22 AM

what a dumb ass OP is.

Because the same question can be asked for USD, what would you do if you found $10k on the ground?

why you so angry man? you got issues or what?
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:11:46 AM

what a dumb ass OP is.

What is wrong to think what would happens if you win in lotto or if you get $10k work bonus/prize anything? That can happens with everyone.

And there are things that would be easier or harder with BTC than with fiat

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:21:51 AM

Someone may send to the wrong address and could be sad to lose 20 BTC. Absolutely return back to the sending address. Same as pick up a wallet containing cash, card, ID etc, what will you do?

It concerns me that there are thee posts advocating returning the funds to the "sending address," no questions asked.

Bitcoin has no such concept. When you spend Bitcoin, you spend coin outputs. Often, but not always, you must sign the transaction with a specific "address" to spend those outputs. If any type of coin mixing is involved, it may not be clear who the "sender" is. Which of the (for example) 5 "senders" would you return the coins to?

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:38:46 AM

Give 1 btc away and invest the rest in altcoins

The virtual way of watching it spiral down the toilet?
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:01:43 AM

Someone may send to the wrong address and could be sad to lose 20 BTC. Absolutely return back to the sending address. Same as pick up a wallet containing cash, card, ID etc, what will you do?

I agree, or at least make an effort to contact the person.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:04:24 AM

It concerns me that there are thee posts advocating returning the funds to the "sending address," no questions asked.

Bitcoin has no such concept. When you spend Bitcoin, you spend coin outputs. Often, but not always, you must sign the transaction with a specific "address" to spend those outputs. If any type of coin mixing is involved, it may not be clear who the "sender" is. Which of the (for example) 5 "senders" would you return the coins to?

If it was clear who the sender was I'd absolutely return it. Otherwise, I'd make an effort to contact the sender. The reality is that sending it back is probably better than keeping it unless the transaction is so complicated that it could be from anyone. How would you feel if you mistakenly sent 20BTC (don't ask me how).

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:07:05 AM

I would not advocate blindly sending the coins back to the address that the coins came from, but rather try to find someone who clearly controls the address that the coins came from to see where the coins were intended to go. You are correct that you would never be able to contact the sender if a mixer (or shared send) was used, but other then that you could probably figure out who had sent the coins as they would likely attempt to locate the person they sent the coins to.  
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:07:10 AM

Better question maybe...
What would you do if you setgenerate true and mined a block with 25 bitcoin after only a few seconds?
Then there's no moral obligation to send it back to anyone, because there's nobody to send it back to (unless you decide to distribute it evenly among everyone who has bitcoin, proportional to the amount they have, but I don't see the purpose in doing that).

Yep, exactly. That would be a much better question!

In that case, I'd probably blow a few, donate a few, and sock away or invest the rest.

master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 04:07:46 AM

If it was clear who the sender was I'd absolutely return it. Otherwise, I'd make an effort to contact the sender. The reality is that sending it back is probably better than keeping it unless the transaction is so complicated that it could be from anyone. How would you feel if you mistakenly sent 20BTC (don't ask me how).
I agree with this. If I am able to somehow figure out who the sender was then I would return the coins to them, otherwise the coins would be mine for the keeping.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 04:23:12 AM

White Paper - Receipt of BTC From Unknown Person https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155112.0

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

I Believe

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:29:30 AM

I wish someone sent me that much. I would be rich! haha. But seriously i would send them back if someone made a mistake.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:46:54 AM

I agree, or at least make an effort to contact the person.

I would wait some days to see if the sender tries to contact me. Since everything is registered on blockchain, he would know how to contact me, unlike someone that lost his wallet. Otherwise I risk send back to an exchange/mixer/betting site/wharever, or refusing a legitimate donation
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: