Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:32:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 Upgrade Kit  (Read 16000 times)
ubergeekin

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:11:40 AM

Got all 6 of these upgrades in over the weekend. I have 3 of the kits installed all using the original S1 firmware on the controller card. I had to change the asic-freq values to make it work without the S3 firmware update, but these units are consistently hashing @ 500 GH/s. The drawback is that the ASIC listing on the Miner Status page in the GUI still expect 32 chips when there are only 16 values, but past that they work just fine.

I'm using the following settings in /etc/config/asic-freq

option 'freq-value'  '0982'  #250M
option 'chip-freq'    '250'
option 'timeout'      '16'

I was able to make the upgrades for each unit in about 1 hour. I did purchase thermal paste from a local source, then used an old credit card to scrape the old thermal paste off the S1 blades as I removed them. I then incorporated new thermal paste into the old and mixed it with a cotton swab. I used the mixture on each of the ASICs on the new S3 boards and they are all consistently running @ 39-42 C. Once I have the others done I'll post what stats they are running with before and after the S3 firmware updates.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:26:04 AM

Has anyone ordered any of these in the past week? Do you know if they are still in stock?  Thanks in advance.
I had such fun time upgrading a couple of S1's that I tried to order more upgrade kits today seeing as I have a pile of unused S1's in my basement. Unfortunately it appears like they are no longer selling them.
mine just arrived today

Mine are coming Friday "i hope". UPS says they're going to CA and I live in Texas :| Anyone had that happen to them before with Bitmain?
bmoscato

Activity: 361
Merit: 267

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:37:35 AM

Has anyone ordered any of these in the past week? Do you know if they are still in stock?  Thanks in advance.
I had such fun time upgrading a couple of S1's that I tried to order more upgrade kits today seeing as I have a pile of unused S1's in my basement. Unfortunately it appears like they are no longer selling them.
mine just arrived today

Mine are coming Friday "i hope". UPS says they're going to CA and I live in Texas :| Anyone had that happen to them before with Bitmain?

UPS had to track me down because they didn't put my street address (number or name) on the delivery, just my name, city, state and zip... So, I got the kits tonight.

I upgraded 1 unit tonight and it's hashing, but not displaying heat values or second fan speed. Is this normal?  I use the latest S3 firmware.
patriotminer76

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:42:40 AM

Listed as Up Coming now from bitmain direct.  Oddly, those I have saved in my shopping cart are still available to be ordered.  Would love to get a few more (have 2) since I still have some S1's staking up space. 
bmoscato

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:35:13 AM

I've tried most of the frequencies from the default 325, 317, 350... I can't seem to get the unit to hash over 325 GHS, it seems to sit at 290 through 315.

Also, my miner isn't displaying temperature or the second fan speed.

Am I the only experiencing these issues?

I still have 3 more kits to upgrade and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have issues.
buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:12:58 AM

having a problem with one of my s3 upgrade kits, does anyone know how to fix this? I think the issue is related to the fact that the miner status screen is showing 4 chains:
bmoscato

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:19:36 AM

I only see two chains on the unit I just ugraded. I'm assuming that you shouldn't see 4... But I'm having issues as well with mine.
buysolar

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:36:33 AM

I only see two chains on the unit I just ugraded. I'm assuming that you shouldn't see 4... But I'm having issues as well with mine.
Ya this is my second unit. The first one went fine. But this one isn't working and I'm sure it has something to do with the 4 chains. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:17:03 AM

I've tried most of the frequencies from the default 325, 317, 350... I can't seem to get the unit to hash over 325 GHS, it seems to sit at 290 through 315.

I still have 3 more kits to upgrade and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have issues.
Upgraded 2 S1's to S3, neither shows the temp of the second fan.
By the way - why don't you upgrade the firmware from S1 to S3+?  - this is what Bitmain advises and others have done.  That would probably resolve the number of chains issue.

Cheers
bmoscato

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:39:14 AM

Upgraded 2 S1's to S3, neither shows the temp of the second fan.
By the way - why don't you upgrade the firmware from S1 to S3+?  - this is what Bitmain advises and others have done.  That would probably resolve the number of chains issue.

Cheers

I am running the latest S3 firmware...
SunnyIgor

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:40:37 AM

Listed as Up Coming now from bitmain direct.  Oddly, those I have saved in my shopping cart are still available to be ordered.  Would love to get a few more (have 2) since I still have some S1's staking up space. 

now it's gone completely....
I myself was waiting for the first price decline the get me some.
I hope they are still continuing with this upgrade kit
hdouglas

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:44:58 PM

Upgraded a couple of S1s, first went smoothly, second does not work at all. Miner Status page just shows "This section contains no values yet"

Have upgraded firmware to each option available but no joy with any of them.

Blades do not get hot and the red LED on each on does not light. Sometimes the odd quick flash during power up but nothing else.
Anyone any ideas? Is there a way to work out what is going wrong?
hdouglas

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:17:56 PM

Upgraded a couple of S1s, first went smoothly, second does not work at all. Miner Status page just shows "This section contains no values yet"

Have upgraded firmware to each option available but no joy with any of them.

Blades do not get hot and the red LED on each on does not light. Sometimes the odd quick flash during power up but nothing else.
Anyone any ideas? Is there a way to work out what is going wrong?

Perhaps bad form to reply to my own question, but this might be useful to someone else.
Problem now solved. I took a backup from the working device, the restored it on the non working one.
Switched off the working device (because both now have the same IP address)
Logged into the newly restored miner and changed IP address
Switched on the original working device - Result - both miners now upgraded and working.
drukoz2

Activity: 395
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:43:59 PM

mine are running perfectly if anyone needs help PM me or something ill try to help
buysolar

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:46:18 PM

having a problem with one of my s3 upgrade kits, does anyone know how to fix this? I think the issue is related to the fact that the miner status screen is showing 4 chains:

Has anybody figured out what's causing this problem yet?
drukoz2

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:29:41 PM

send a pic of the miner control board and ur set up it really looks like you might have made a wrong connection
buysolar

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:43:55 AM

send a pic of the miner control board and ur set up it really looks like you might have made a wrong connection
Here's a picture. Their aren't very many connections, they look like they are correct to me:

bmoscato

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:02:38 AM

Here's a picture. Their aren't very many connections, they look like they are correct to me:

Do you have all 4 power ports active? I'm only running 1 on each side...
buysolar

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 03:37:49 AM

Yes all 4 pcie ports are active on both of my upgrades
drukoz2

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 04:54:43 AM

did you make sure that all the data connections are completly down ? and that you placed them the correct way with the 2 pins  look at the connector plastic
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: