Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:04:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 Upgrade Kit  (Read 16000 times)
hennessyhemp

Activity: 511
Merit: 500

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 05:11:58 AM

Please upgrade the firmware with S3's version:
https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633

What? The S3 firmware? What frequency did you set the S1 for then?

If you try this, do not uncheck the "keep settings" tab and it should retain the frequency settings of your S1.

(I used the word should...maybe attempt to make a backup first, just in case)

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kabopar

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 10:39:07 AM

Just received a reply from bitmain

Hi,
Please upgrade the firmware with S3's version:
https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633

make sure uncheck "keep settings". after upgrading, select the “miner configuration” tab. Select “advanced” and set the frequency at the default of 225M,  click “Save and apply”, all will be better.

Best Regards
BITMAIN
BTW this works on S1, just did it see if i could and it did . not everyone should  try it , i didn't care if I  messed one up . i have a S1  with the S3 firmware . might do them and wait for the upgrade kits to come in on all my S1.
What? The S3 firmware? What frequency did you set the S1 for then?
After this upgrade the modified S1 is now an S3+, so you set the frequency using the S3+ method from the Miner Configuration/advanced settings gui menu with the drop-down frequency list (which now says that 225 MHz is the default S3+).  I started from the S3+ default and all went well.
The only minor problem encountered is that a molded RJ45 connector doesn't fit into the LAN socket now, so had to select LAN cables without the molding for the modified S1/3 units.

Cheers
patriotminer76

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:25:47 PM

anyone come up with a use for the old s1 boards yet?

love to tinker.
miTgiB

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

Du hast

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:11:42 PM

love to tinker.

I would think if the community worked more on this for the S1 boards it could be a huge benefit for breathing added life

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671128.msg8920630
Taugeran

Activity: 658

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:12:55 PM

love to tinker.

I would think if the community worked more on this for the S1 boards it could be a huge benefit for breathing added life

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671128.msg8920630

There's two almost finished ideas in the thread: one by J4bberwock, and the other by myself. Take a look. I'm they could be undervolted to the hash point similar to the bitfury 400G rigs where each chip was doing between 1.5 - 2Ghash and they would not need heatsinks and could be mounted in a high density fashion.

Once one of the ideas bears its fruit I'd love to see something like this happen

Oh lord there's my next home project; wife's gunna hate me

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:34:25 AM

Has anyone ordered any of these in the past week? Do you know if they are still in stock?  Thanks in advance.
djob001

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:23:33 AM

i have just got my kits and i am having problems with the upgrade,the machine turns on with the blinking lights looks like its hashing only to have 0 gh in miner status its connected to my pool because it says alive also in miner status all parts are correct thermal paste as well  i used an anti static wrist band when building it looks like the one in the picture after i was finished on the bitmain site only it has green boards i have tried all firmwares S1 AND S3 oldest first and still the same looks like its hashing but not

any help please thanks   
kabopar

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:35:39 AM

i have just got my kits and i am having problems with the upgrade,the machine turns on with the blinking lights looks like its hashing only to have 0 gh in miner status its connected to my pool because it says alive also in miner status all parts are correct thermal paste as well  i used an anti static wrist band when building it looks like the one in the picture after i was finished on the bitmain site only it has green boards i have tried all firmwares S1 AND S3 oldest first and still the same looks like its hashing but not

any help please thanks   
I installed this upgrade yesterday.  Used the latest firmware (antMiner_S320140826.bin, do not tick 'save settings').  After re-flashing the firmware it returns to 'default' settings  (IP 192.168.1.99 and the test pools).  You cannot leave both miners at this IP, so you'll need to re-configure the network WAN addresses and your pool configuration. You also need to select the frequency settings at Miner Configuration/Advanced settings, 'save & apply'.  In the odd case of a 'stubborn' miner, you might need to perform a system reboot  (System tab, reboot, click on 'perform reboot').  My upgrade went smoothly and both S1's are now functioning as S3+.

Cheers
djob001

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:43:28 AM

kabopar said ,
I installed this upgrade yesterday.  Used the latest firmware (antMiner_S320140826.bin, do not tick 'save settings').  After re-flashing the firmware it returns to 'default' settings  (IP 192.168.1.99 and the test pools).  You cannot leave both miners at this IP, so you'll need to re-configure the network WAN addresses and your pool configuration. You also need to select the frequency settings at Miner Configuration/Advanced settings, 'save & apply'.  In the odd case of a 'stubborn' miner, you might need to perform a system reboot  (System tab, reboot, click on 'perform reboot').  My upgrade went smoothly and both S1's are now functioning as S3+.

i probably the only one who's using wireless on 10 of my miners my router would normally resign a diff ip  is that gonna make a difference  
kabopar

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:49:03 AM

I installed this upgrade yesterday.  Used the latest firmware (antMiner_S320140826.bin, do not tick 'save settings').  After re-flashing the firmware it returns to 'default' settings  (IP 192.168.1.99 and the test pools).  You cannot leave both miners at this IP, so you'll need to re-configure the network WAN addresses and your pool configuration. You also need to select the frequency settings at Miner Configuration/Advanced settings, 'save & apply'.  In the odd case of a 'stubborn' miner, you might need to perform a system reboot  (System tab, reboot, click on 'perform reboot').  My upgrade went smoothly and both S1's are now functioning as S3+.

i probably the only one who's using wireless on 10 of my miners my router would normally resign a diff ip  is that gonna make a difference 
I've never used the wifi on the S1's or S3's.  I always use the wired network connection with different fixed WAN settings (WAN = wide area network) for each miner.  Try the wired connection to verify basic operation.  Note that re-flashing without retaining old settings would have also wiped out your old wifi settings (such as SSID, WPA passwords etc.), so if you insist on using wifi, you'll need to reprogram all of those.

Good luck
djob001

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 11:31:21 AM

wifi wasn't a problem after i followed your steps and changed the ip its  hashing away 450+ now i can breath a sy of relief on my other s1's now and start doing them  Cheesy

cheers
pj40

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:14:43 PM

Well I bought 2 kits and upgraded one of my S1's without a problem.  The other S1 had issues when I restarted, the fan was blowing hard, getting up to 53C and finally dying. After removing the heatsink, I noticed the smell and brown spot on the white heat sink paste I used.  The box doesn't hash at all anymore due to this bad board most likely.

Is it possible to operate the S3 on a single blade by only powering that one?  I would rather get half the hash than no hash at all.

Free faucet + lotto!  http://freebitco.in/?r=420364
tempestb

Activity: 729

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:59:33 PM

Should be possible to hash with just one board.  That's easy enough to test.  Just disconnect the one board and see how it goes.

I use WiFi on three of my upgraded S1's.   I will say that the hash rate is slower on these than wired.  Maybe around 40gh slower give or take.  But it is what it is, I'm not rewiring the house for those three units.  They still perform better than the S3's I originally bought. 

I don't own S3+ but I imagine they hash as well as the upgrades do.

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
armstrong4140

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:22:58 PM

I'm a bit unhappy with Antminer ATM. I ordered (2) of the S1 rebuild kits back when they first came out. They're already expensive enough, but when I ordered their add said that it included a "bag" of thermal paste. Got them today, NO PASTE!! So I had to plunk down another .1 BTC to Newegg for the good paste and quick shipping. Oh! and they changed their advertisement "AFTER" they shipped my hardware. Real nice customer service Antminer. If you were an American company someone would probably sue you for false advertisement.
Okay, guess I'm done venting, but if you've ordered any of these you'll need thermal paste.
drukoz2

Activity: 395
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:07:44 PM

I'm a bit unhappy with Antminer ATM. I ordered (2) of the S1 rebuild kits back when they first came out. They're already expensive enough, but when I ordered their add said that it included a "bag" of thermal paste. Got them today, NO PASTE!! So I had to plunk down another .1 BTC to Newegg for the good paste and quick shipping. Oh! and they changed their advertisement "AFTER" they shipped my hardware. Real nice customer service Antminer. If you were an American company someone would probably sue you for false advertisement.
Okay, guess I'm done venting, but if you've ordered any of these you'll need thermal paste.

they updated the upgrade kit description before they shipped i asked them about it stop being retarded please they had problems with customs to send thermal paste its not their fault u din't read the memo
kabopar

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:19:20 AM

wifi wasn't a problem after i followed your steps and changed the ip its  hashing away 450+ now i can breath a sy of relief on my other s1's now and start doing them  Cheesy

cheers

Congrats,
Happy Hashing!!!
kabopar

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:22:02 AM

I wasn't expecting any thermal paste with the upgrade kits, so wasn't disappointed.  As any common hardware nerd, i always have some of this stuff around anyway....Smiley

Cheers
pekatete

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 09:35:18 AM

I wasn't expecting any thermal paste with the upgrade kits, so wasn't disappointed.  As any common hardware nerd, i always have some of this stuff around anyway....Smiley

Cheers
I used thermal pads on the chips (1 strip is 1mm thick, 11cm X 2cm) costing about GBP 1.00 and should be enough for 1 complete unit (2 boards). The one care that you need to take with heat-pads is once you have applied them to the chips (as I did rather than to the heatsink), you get one go at placing the heatsink on, else they'll stick to the heatsink in the wrong place and you have to remove them one-by-one  back onto the chips.
I did NOT add any extra paste on the larger heatsink (there was a little bit there to get my hands dirty!) and the unit is hashing away consistently at stock freq of 225 @ 450+ GH/s.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:01:51 AM

Has anyone ordered any of these in the past week? Do you know if they are still in stock?  Thanks in advance.
I had such fun time upgrading a couple of S1's that I tried to order more upgrade kits today seeing as I have a pile of unused S1's in my basement. Unfortunately it appears like they are no longer selling them.
krodmandoon

Activity: 434
Merit: 105

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:06:21 AM

I had such fun time upgrading a couple of S1's that I tried to order more upgrade kits today seeing as I have a pile of unused S1's in my basement. Unfortunately it appears like they are no longer selling them.
mine just arrived today

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: