Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:23:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: do bitcoin ATMs really suck this much?  (Read 6423 times)
CokeCoin

Activity: 235
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:57:01 AM

It's not bitcoin, it's the KYC laws

TheTruth4

Activity: 108

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:02:39 AM

Just 11 simple steps, with one of the steps including a 15 minute wait..
So futuristic.  Grin
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:07:57 AM

If you have not watched the Tested video of them buying bitcoin from an ATM it is so worthwhile:
http://www.tested.com/tech/concepts/460600-tested-we-buy-bitcoin/
Watch as the guy goes from enthusiastic confident bitcoin proponent to angry hater in just 15 minutes
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:16:17 AM

I view it as setting up a bank account because after the initial set up I can return to the ATM and simply buy Bitcoin just like I would withdraw cash from a normal ATM. Also, I had a pleasant experience.
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:34:16 AM

I think we don't need bitcoin ATm
You just waste money to create Bitcoin ATM

I think we just need 1 smartphone (with bitcoin wallet) & barcode address (or you can show barcode image on your smartphone)
It's much more simpler & faster  Grin

I think Bitcoin ATM will fail  & closed

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:46:41 AM

I just got the Circle invite. Very useful. It can use bitcoin to pay credit card bill directly (visa/master with limitation of $500 a week or so), by passing bank.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:24:05 AM

I used a bitcoin ATM for the 1st time yesterday. It was a Lamassu one and it was so easy to use. 3 steps, push start, scan QR code and insert money, done.
No fingerprint, no eye scan just easy bitcoin purchase they way it should be.

The main problem is that the unit makes it easy as heck
But the question is how do they maintain Know Your Client and Anti-Money Laundering compliance on the machine
Government regulations on money service businesses means that it is a giant pain to get it complying or risk getting in trouble with gov.
They do follow these types of rules. That is why you need to give them a scan of your hand, your ID and let them take your picture. All this is for record keeping compliance purposes.

Also regardless of if the ATM operator follows the AML/KYC rules you would generally not get in trouble if you were to the machine unless you were structuring your transactions (doing several transactions that are under the reporting threshold over several days - and the sole purpose of these smaller transactions is to avoid reporting).

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:51:38 AM

I used a bitcoin ATM for the 1st time yesterday. It was a Lamassu one and it was so easy to use. 3 steps, push start, scan QR code and insert money, done.
No fingerprint, no eye scan just easy bitcoin purchase they way it should be.

The main problem is that the unit makes it easy as heck
But the question is how do they maintain Know Your Client and Anti-Money Laundering compliance on the machine
Government regulations on money service businesses means that it is a giant pain to get it complying or risk getting in trouble with gov.
They do follow these types of rules. That is why you need to give them a scan of your hand, your ID and let them take your picture. All this is for record keeping compliance purposes.

Also regardless of if the ATM operator follows the AML/KYC rules you would generally not get in trouble if you were to the machine unless you were structuring your transactions (doing several transactions that are under the reporting threshold over several days - and the sole purpose of these smaller transactions is to avoid reporting).

What I meant is that it gets expensive quickly
But your right the users aren't the ones who get in trouble its the operators that take the risk as annoyingorange pointed out without all that extra stuff this is what a Bitcoin transaction would look like.

This is the fault of government regulation. This is what a bitcoin ATM that ignores regulation looks like.
http://instagram.com/p/oGedybhnQF/

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
wordman267645

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:52:11 AM

The process is too slow..I have not seen such like ATM machine.That is so stupid..
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:05:37 AM

Bitcoin ATM's are a scam to line the opperator pockets with 6% vommision. More than using a traditional currwncy exchange.

The procedure is hirrible to watch. .... teuat me i watched a man try and buy €10000 from a ATM, the painful process of him inserting all those notes..... atleast €8000 was in €10 notrs. Oh the cringe i got watching thia going on in a public coffee house.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:08:07 AM

They aRE TRYING TO MAKE BITCOIN LOOK BAD...DONT GET INTO IT...BITCOIN RULES... Cool Cool

Bitbirdhunt

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:41:58 AM

They are being too much cautious. Normal atm machines requires no hand/thumb impressions..haha.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:31:25 AM

They are being too much cautious. Normal atm machines requires no hand/thumb impressions..haha.

Normal fiat bank run ATM's require the use of a card which has KYC regulations following it  around.
CreamyPie

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:45:33 PM

Giving id, phone number and hand print, that's a sick level of security.

They might remove it in future..
MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:01:42 PM

That sucks really bad, its worse then atm machine just typing password...

MileyJohanson
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:12:21 PM

I view it as setting up a bank account because after the initial set up I can return to the ATM and simply buy Bitcoin just like I would withdraw cash from a normal ATM. Also, I had a pleasant experience.
+1
These laws apply to all money. It's not like there was a chance that bitcoin would be magical tax free money. For example, can you use an ATM machine without a bank account?
I know a lot of people here would be fine taking the legal risk of using a non-compliant machine. However you are not going to find someone willing to risk their capitol and their freedom so you can break the law. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
onlyu

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:46:46 PM

This is the fault of government regulation. This is what a bitcoin ATM that ignores regulation looks like.
http://instagram.com/p/oGedybhnQF/

This is a very nice ATM.

Where is it located and is it legal?
MoonRise

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:34:24 PM

I fastforwarded the video, got the idea..

They are trying to make btc atms too much secure
Wealthy

Activity: 92

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:36:29 PM

Where the video is from? Are BTC atms available to public? Are they legal?
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 06:29:24 PM

There's one at Hacker Dojo in Silicon Valley. It's similar to the one in the video, with the hand scanner and license scanner.  There's about a 15% spread between the buy and sell price, plus a $5 fee. Nobody uses it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: