Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:18:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I visited BFL, any questions ?  (Read 14830 times)
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 08:21:10 PM

Prior to that revelation I honestly thought they built their boards out of potatoes.  

No way dude.  If that were true, they would produce power instead of guzzling it. Smiley

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 08:27:14 PM

Quote from: DeathAndTaxes
Prior to that revelation I honestly thought they built their boards out of potatoes.

Nice one D&T !

Quote from: Inspector 2211
Don't try to cloud the issues, but educate yourself instead.

D&T is one of the most educated people around here. Your point is moot !

On another note, WHY are you all trying to find BFL's secret Cheesy ?

Are you all in China ( no offence meant; just the location where all the computer equipment is made Tongue ) and trying to counterfeit BFL's design Huh

Leave the unicorn alone ! It is meant to be "seekrit! neener neener!"
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 08:39:01 PM

D&T is one of the most educated people around here. Your point is moot !

I would disagree... his point isn't moot at all, it's at best academic but largely irrelevant to the topic.  Unless you wish to keep discussing it, it's hardly moot.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 09:50:45 PM

I'll explain it once again:
A buddy of mine is an ASIC designer here in Silicon Valley.
When asked to implement an FPGA on a standard ASIC design flow, he could obviously do that, have some other people in his company implement and verify the physical back-end and then ship the design files off to TSMC or some other foundry.

A few months later, you receive your first sample ASIC, which implements an FPGA.

You are confusing ASIC with IC. An ASIC has fixed-logic, an FPGA has programmable-logic. While they are both ICs, they are two very different kinds of ICs.

Buy & Hold
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 12:57:09 AM

I hope bfl works out but to me it reeks of a long con.
Will keep buying up 2nd hand gpus until then Smiley

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 07:08:01 AM

Yeah everything in the world is a long con, just because I said so. Roll Eyes

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 07:09:17 AM

Hey, don't knock him.  If he's still buying GPU's, that means more BFL singles for the rest of us.  :p
mem

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 08:11:28 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2012, 08:34:38 AM by mem

herp derp - someone disagreed because they thaid tho  Roll Eyes
I guess you might not be familiar with long cons (or are simply blind fanboys for BFL).

Lets cover the basics:

Dubious company registration.
Next to no contact.
Outright lies regarding delivery times (and has continued to lie regarding delivery times for 6+ months).
Extremely few seen out in the wild (enough that you could simply pay someone for a false review to help out the long con).
0 information on chips used (this is the only thing that does not bother me).
Constant spamming of BFL.
The person assuring us its not a con has answered 0 questions of substance, instead selling you on the "I trust them, you should to".

As previously said - this is what a long con looks like.

1st option

Some user finally hits a to long to wait time, logs a complaint and BFL fob you off with emails.
BFL then simply start ignoring you or worse, stating that you are a scammer trying to get a free BFL.
The members claiming they have working BFL's start disappearing, those that dont visicously defend it insisting it is real with quotes like "HAHAHA more for me" and "I trusted them with 1 billion dollars, they are the real deal !" and "I lost all this weight in 2 weeks !!!".
Website keeps operating despite bad reviews hoping to scrape a few more suckers.

Lets hope this is not the case, but there is absolutely nothing to vouch for BFL currently. For their product or for their companies reliability.
This thread only served to highlight concerns and ease none.

2nd option

Another likely scenario IMHO is this company is not a con but is running afoul of several US laws, at a guess encryption limitations and most likely tax fraud.

3rd option

They are using chips they do not have a license for and would be sued should the parent company find out.
Or counterfeit chips that are not allowed inside the US (due to original creators copyright).

Happy Option:

BFL Hashes pure rainbows and runs on a perpetual motion engine.
6 month delays become shipping times of 3-14 days (website is updated to reflect the real delivery time).
Multiple people testing and confirming legitimacy.
Everyone is happy.

Mid ground option

They are severely under-budget and are accumulating funds to do a bulk fab.
Pending customers have no real expected time of manufacture and delivery.
Significant chance of waiting

Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 08:22:16 AM

I taught about the long con theory before and now...I just think that what happened was an horrible product launch. One of the worst next to the Xbox 360  Grin

Their product seems good, and I really think they're doing their best to make a nice business out of it. I'm still not interested until they fix all their launch mess, there's no way I'm waiting 12 weeks for something, but I'll probably check later on.
mem

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 08:37:20 AM

I taught about the long con theory before and now...I just think that what happened was an horrible product launch. One of the worst next to the Xbox 360  Grin

Their product seems good, and I really think they're doing their best to make a nice business out of it. I'm still not interested until they fix all their launch mess, there's no way I'm waiting 12 weeks for something, but I'll probably check later on.

Me to buddy, I want to......

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 08:46:11 AM

herp derp - someone disagreed because they thaid tho  Roll Eyes
I guess you might not be familiar with long cons (or are simply blind fanboys for BFL).

Lets cover the basics:

[...]
Blah Blah Blah, Yap Yap Yap...
[...]

Option C:  You have no idea what you're talking about.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 12:50:35 PM

Seeing as I've been to their facility several times and talked extensively with a few BFL people, I would say all your explanations are pure bullshit and you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 01:36:21 PM

Jealousy causes him to come up as to why the BFL is bad. Probably can't afford one or too scared to order one, and thus envies people who can afford and order.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:14:26 PM

mem, I might agree with you if there was a good reason for them to be operating a long con.  But there's just not.

They have the most demand of ANY miner manufacturer right now, and that's not going to change for a long time.  They have a really cheap product for how much MH/s it runs.  Because demand is so high, they would likely make less money by conning everyone instead of just continuing to provide the product.  Not to mention, a multi-million dollar con would mean they'd definitely be on the run from the law and some serious investigators.  I doubt that's the position they want to be in...

Anyway, you're obviously welcome to think whatever you like, and if we all get scammed, you can point your finger and say "told ya so!"
Cablez
Legendary

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:24:08 PM

Hey Inaba,  since you have been there I was wondering if it struck you that this was a side job to most of them (so not putting in at least 40 a week)?

Maybe that would explain some of the tardiness.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:48:37 PM

They have the most demand of ANY miner manufacturer right now, and that's not going to change for a long time.  They have a really cheap product for how much MH/s it runs.  Because demand is so high, they would likely make less money by conning everyone instead of just continuing to provide the product.  Not to mention, a multi-million dollar con would mean they'd definitely be on the run from the law and some serious investigators.  I doubt that's the position they want to be in...

I think this is a valid assumption.  The fact is that their product works.  I'm guessing they had no expectation that demand would be this great.  We don't know their profit margin, but I believe it would be MUCH more lucrative for them to grow their business as bitcoin gains traction.  I'd go so far as to say their revenue could be in the millions next year if they continue to deliver their products, even if they are late.  I appears to have worked out well for them so far, now they just need to hire a few more people to answer emails and provide tech support.

I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:53:03 PM

I think this is a valid assumption.  The fact is that their product works.  I'm guessing they had no expectation that demand would be this great.  We don't know their profit margin, but I believe it would be MUCH more lucrative for them to grow their business as bitcoin gains traction.  I'd go so far as to say their revenue could be in the millions next year if they continue to deliver their products, even if they are late.  I appears to have worked out well for them so far, now they just need to hire a few more people to answer emails and provide tech support.

I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

I found out about Bitcoin in early March, 2 days later I found this forum, another 3 days later I placed an order for Butterfly Single, and 2 weeks later ordered MiniRig. Nothing suspicions.
darkice (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:57:06 PM

I found out about Bitcoin in early March, 2 days later I found this forum, another 3 days later I placed an order for Butterfly Single, and 2 weeks later ordered MiniRig. Nothing suspicions.

I wasn't tinkering with gpu miners for a while, I was following bitcoin from the start. I'm not some random guy who stumbled upon bitcoin, I invested more money on more crazy things before.
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:05:23 PM

I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

You also posted that you lost $10k trading and used to to justify the risk of dropping $15k because you have "guts".  Wink

My assumptions are based on my own standard for what is questionable due diligence, but that varies and this is just my opinion.  Deep pockets enable you to take bigger risks.

I wasn't tinkering with gpu miners for a while, I was following bitcoin from the start. I'm not some random guy who stumbled upon bitcoin, I invested more money on more crazy things before.

Fair enough, I'm not making any accusations, just voicing my suspicions.  As a fellow miner I do hope it all works out for you.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
darkice (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:23:08 PM

I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

You also posted that you lost $10k trading and used to to justify the risk of dropping $15k because you have "guts".  Wink

My assumptions are based on my own standard for what is questionable due diligence, but that varies and this is just my opinion.  Deep pockets enable you to take bigger risks.

Fair enough, I'm not making any accusations, just voicing my suspicions.  As a fellow miner I do hope it all works out for you.

Thank you Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: