Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:19:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics  (Read 91241 times)
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 05:16:09 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2013, 12:17:14 PM by organofcorti

8th September 2013 weekly pool and network statistics
Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
GHash.IO (bitfury's private pool) added. Thank you to bitfury and Alex for allowing me access to their private API.
175btc.com, a Chinese pool, appeared in the coinbase signatures this week and have been added to the list.
Usual pools missing from results:
Nil
Errors:
Nil

Pools with coinbase signature:

ASICMiner: "Mined By ASICMiner"
Bitparking: "bitparking"
BitMinter:  "BitMinter"
BTCGuild :  "Mined by BTC Guild", "BTC Guild DE", "BTC Guild 2", "BTC Guild US2", plus a new signature, "BTC Guild GW"
CoinLab: "CoinLab"
Discus Fish: "七彩神仙鱼" and "Made in China"
EclipseMC: "EMC"
Eligius: "Eligius"
50BTC.com: "Hi from 50BTC.com
GHash.IO: "ghash.io"
HHTT: "HHTT"
175btc.com": "Mined By 175btc.com"
Ozcoin: "ozcoin"
Triplemining: "Triplemining.com"
Satoshi Sysems: "Satoshi Systems"
Slush's pool: "slush"
ST Mining Corp: "st mining corp"

Pool hopping:
Nil.

I was still sick and off work for the last week, so again I'll keep this intro short.

1. BTCGuild luck (again)
BTCGuild's luck this week is again unusual. Again I audited the script and looked for any tiny error in the way I estimate luck for BTCGuild, but I couldn't find any error. Either the luck this week for BTCGuild was unusually pool, or the procedure I use to estimate shares per round is insufficiently accurate. I'll see how it goes next week.

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/09/september-8th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

You can view all previous charts and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter @oocBlog for notification of new posts as soon as I publish.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 05:16:38 AM

unknown's share continue to increase.  some hidden mining entity?

Not very hidden.  Most of that speed is ghash.io, BitFury's solo mining operation.  http://blockorigin.pfoe.be shows the actual unknown part of the network is still extremely small (~3%).

Yes, eleuthria's right.

However bitfury has granted me access to ghash.io's pool stats and "unknown" should return to it's previous low levels.

And indeed they have.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 05:35:49 AM

unknown's share continue to increase.  some hidden mining entity?

Not very hidden.  Most of that speed is ghash.io, BitFury's solo mining operation.  http://blockorigin.pfoe.be shows the actual unknown part of the network is still extremely small (~3%).

Yes, eleuthria's right.

However bitfury has granted me access to ghash.io's pool stats and "unknown" should return to it's previous low levels.

And indeed they have.

The luck was obscenely bad this week for BTC Guild, especially the last 24 hours.  We had a bad run at the start of the week, a good run in the middle, but the last 24 hours have been some of the most brutal rounds we've had in a long time (back to back 1.5-2 hour blocks for most of the day).

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 05:46:07 AM

The luck was obscenely bad this week for BTC Guild, especially the last 24 hours.  We had a bad run at the start of the week, a good run in the middle, but the last 24 hours have been some of the most brutal rounds we've had in a long time (back to back 1.5-2 hour blocks for most of the day).

Ah good. I mean, not good, but at least the result ties with my estimate. Phew!

I guess even a pool that has the lion's share of the network will experience bad luck from time to time.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 10:58:39 AM

Thanks again ooc
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Rsr0oskMIh4/Uiv6LtopgbI/AAAAAAAAJu4/ZpuBsPzx1o4/s1600/3.top10hr.08-09-2013.png
I find interesting Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 11:19:19 AM

I did too - only BTCGuild and Ozcoin saw a significant increase in network share this week. Nice going, Graet! I also found this interesting (note that Ozcoin has the third highest hashrate miner on the chart):

Graet
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 02:33:31 AM

Thanks man Smiley
I think that big hasher is on more than 1 pool, most of the time ~5Th but he went big for a few days last week then backed off Wink

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 09:43:00 AM

15th September 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
Nil
Nil
Errors:
"Unknown" in pie chart. The total number of blocks solved by the network this week was 1352, yet the total number of blocks solved by the constituent pools was 1362. I think this is because one of the pools is not using UTC to publish their stats and so their published blocks solved is offset compared to the network. I'll see if I can figure out which one by next week.

BitMinter:  "BitMinter"
BTCGuild :  "Mined by BTC Guild", "BTC Guild DE", "BTC Guild 2", "BTC Guild US2", plus a new signature, "BTC Guild GW"
Satoshi Systems: "Satoshi Systems"

Pool hopping:
Nil.

1. BTCGuild luck
Is not unusual at all this week. I think I've got the calculation bug beat!

2. Network hashrate and forecasting
The average weekly network hashrate has continued on it's exponentially increasing path. I've been working on forecasting methods since my last post on the subject and I've been testing several that have been so far much more accurate than my previous method. I'll post an update when I'm confident I have a reliable method.

3. The effect of GHash.IO on other pools
I'm seeing many complaints about the increased variance experienced by many pools at the moment. If you look at figure 3, you'll notice that from a few weeks before I started recording GHash.IO's hashrate, all pools except BTCGuild (and Ozcoin, not on there tho week) suddenly lost - and in many cases continue to lose - a significant proportion of the network hashrate. As difficulty continues to sky-rocket, pools who cannot maintain a consistent proportion of the network will experience increased variance.

It's amazing to think that much of this increased variance can be attributed to just one pool (or hashing entity, I'm not sure about who owns the hashrate there just yet).

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/09/september-8th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

You can view all previous charts and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter @oocBlog for notification of new posts as soon as I publish.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 03:48:17 AM

22nd September 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
Added "New coinbase messages", which are non-pool coinbase signatures from the block creator.
Nil
Errors:
Nil

BitMinter:  "BitMinter"
BTCGuild :  "Mined by BTC Guild", "BTC Guild DE", "BTC Guild 2", "BTC Guild US2", plus a new signature, "BTC Guild GW"

Recent coinbase messages:

258692 "To my honey, by bitfish."

Pool hopping:
Nil.

1. Someone is leaving love messages in the coinbase!
Perhaps I'm jealous that no one is leaving me love messages in the coinbase, but I don't feel the coinbase is the right place to leave "To my honey, by bitfish." (block 258692 ), unless of course I'm bitfish's honey in which case I'm fine with it.

2. Network hashrate and forecasting
The average weekly network hashrate touches 1000 Thps (1000 000 Ghps or 1 Phps, however you prefer to look at it - I'll have to spend some time changing the units on some of the charts. The forecasting methods I've been using for daily hashrate and weekly hashrate have been almost as accurate as my forecasts before the network started to ignore the exchange rate, so I'll be posting them soon. The difficulty forecast looks good too, but Im waiting for another retarget to be sure.

3. MT GOX exchange rate forecasting.
I thought I'd give this a go for the hell of it, not really expecting much of a useful fore cast. To my surprise, the forecast is about as accurate as the network hashrate forecast, so I'll be posting some BTC exchange rate forecasts soon. I's like to base it on as many US$ exchanges as possible, so I have a few changes to make.

4. Hashrate changes
Ozcoin (8th), BitMinter (9th) and BTCGuild (1st) were the only large pools to see an increase in hashrate this week. If you're an Ozcoin miner I am planning to soon resolve the problem that has prevented me from using the site data, and pool op Graeme offered me his help some time ago. I'll get on to it soon, but I to finish my work on daily and weekly average hashrate forecasts, network difficulty forecasts and BTC exchange rate forecasts first.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/09/september-22nd-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

peetah

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 01:59:43 AM

Pool hopping:
Nil.

Perhaps I'm jealous that no one is leaving me love messages in the coinbase, but I don't feel the coinbase is the right place to leave "To my honey, by bitfish." (block 258692 ), unless of course I'm bitfish's honey in which case I'm fine with it.

Maybe it's an investment for an engagement present. Why pay for a one carat diamond that will likely depreciate when you can mine and fashion your own?

I'm not anybody else's honey (as my wife will tell you) but I think this is a creative way to get more solo miners involved.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 05:52:57 AM

Pool hopping:
Nil.

Maybe it's an investment for an engagement present. Why pay for a one carat diamond that will likely depreciate when you can mine and fashion your own?

I'm not anybody else's honey (as my wife will tell you) but I think this is a creative way to get more solo miners involved.

Or p2Pool miners.

Anyway, you're clearly bitfish, so I ask where's my honey message, eh?

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 07:21:27 PM

Pool hopping:
Nil.

Or p2Pool miners.

Anyway, you're clearly bitfish, so I ask where's my honey message, eh?

Personally, i think it is sweet. He has effectively professed his love for her for eternity to see.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 03:39:31 PM

29th September 2013 weekly pool and network statistics
Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
Added "New coinbase messages", which are non-pool coinbase signatures from the block creator.
Nil
Errors:
Nil

BTCGuild :  "Mined by BTC Guild", "BTC Guild DE", "BTC Guild 2", "BTC Guild US2", plus a new signature, "BTC Guild GW"

35 blocks from 259316 to 260578 "For Pierce and Paul"

Pool hopping:
Nil.

1. Pierce and Paul get famous.
Someone with over 30Thps wants two guys named Pierce and Paul to know that they are for them rather than against them. Who are Pierce and Paul? Why are some people for them and (obviously) some against? I do hate not knowing.

2. "Unknown" returns
"Unknown" is up to around 10% of the network, and blockorigin's data shows a similar proportion (although averaged over the last 2016 blocks rather than the past 1348 blocks. I think it's a mining company rather than a pool or manufacturer, but not sure which one. Please post if you know.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/09/september-29th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:21:17 PM

Part of unknown is definitely the 100TH project which left BTC Guild to start solo mining in the last week.  They're not on your list.  They told me they were going to be tagging coinbases, but apparently something broke because I can't find any.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:22:34 PM

Someone with over 30Thps wants two guys named Pierce and Paul to know that they are for them rather than against them. Who are Pierce and Paul? Why are some people for them and (obviously) some against? I do hate not knowing.

"In memorandum of Pierce and Paul" perhaps?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 04:35:49 PM

"For Pierce and Paul"
my guess: the miners children, putting a block away for when they are 21 and BTC is >$10,000ea Tongue

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 12:09:58 PM

6th October 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
Added Megabigpower to the weekly stats.
Nil
Errors:
Nil

Megabigpower" "megabigpower.com"

79 blocks from 259214 to 262207 "For Pierce and Paul"
259575 259622 259625  "EMC: Organofcorti lives!"

Pool hopping:
Nil.

1. Organofcorti lives!
After last week's post, Inaba ( pool op for EclipseMC ) asked me if I'd noticed anything odd in the coinbase (other than the preponderance of Pierces and Pauls). I had a bunch of family stuff this week - which is why this post is so late - and didn't get time to do a search until today.

At first I didn't find any strange messages. I admit I was looking for something along the lines of a secret FBI message or something. Then I widened my search from unsigned blocks with messages to signed blocks with messages - and lo! Thanks to Inaba I finally achieved bitcoin fame, in blocks 259575, 259622, 259625. Although I thought pool operators would be too serious to have a sense of humour about the coinbase (which is why I never check there for messages), perhaps I should have guessed it of Inaba - after EMC has identified it's blocks using messages such as "Aluminum Falcons" (starting block 166138 ) and "Roll 1D10 For Save"  (starting block 140698 - oh, wait no that's Eligius' "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell, ..." , here's the right "save": 193680 )

Those of you that know me know I'm heavily tattooed. Any suggestions for a font for these three blocks? I was thinking 14th Century germanic, but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks Inaba! My blocks will far outlast me I suspect, and I'll be in good company. As long as there is bitcoin, the legend of organofcorti will live on. I'm accepting movie options.

2. Pierce and Paul fans solve 79 blocks so far.
I think they're making a business of it. Anyone care to see if 13NA7X1u18CgGa7RzTDyvuuoLJtLRvXgke  has been used previously?

3. Megabigpower start signing the coinbase.
This week Megabigpower started to sign the coinbase. They're building a 100 Th farm to be run in a similar way to ASICMiner. They only started to sign in the last few days of the week, so I suspect their hashrate will be much higher next week since a full week's worth of blocks will be signed.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/10/october-6th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 12:15:23 PM

"For Pierce and Paul"
my guess: the miners children, putting a block away for when they are 21 and BTC is >$10,000ea Tongue

Well, I think we know who the pessimist of that pair is, eh?

At 79 blocks (so far) that's 1975 btc. If the exchange rate does indeed achieve the lofty heights Graet suggests, their college fund will be worth valued at ~$20 mill. They are going to have so much fun!

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 12:21:07 PM

Part of unknown is definitely the 100TH project which left BTC Guild to start solo mining in the last week.  They're not on your list.  They told me they were going to be tagging coinbases, but apparently something broke because I can't find any.

Thanks eleuthria. They only just started to sign the coinbase at block 261530, and then proceeded to solve another 15 in 186000 seconds, which puts them at about 55Thps.

Interestingly, 186000 is the number of miles light travels in a second.

I do so enjoy pointless asides.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:42:34 PM

Thanks eleuthria. They only just started to sign the coinbase at block 261530, and then proceeded to solve another 15 in 186000 seconds, which puts them at about 55Thps.

Interestingly, 186000 is the number of miles light travels in a second.

I do so enjoy pointless asides.

actually, it is 186285 miles per second in a vacuum<sp>.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: