Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Add vCPU only chains?
Yes - 7 (53.8%)
No - 6 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: VirtualMiner 2.0 - Discussion (Closed)  (Read 15280 times)
Nachtwind (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:52:39 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2012, 01:24:04 PM by Nachtwind

The game is undergoing a major rewrite. Version 2 is still running but Version 3 will be online soon

What is it about?

„Virtual Mining“ is a game unlike any other currently found in the BTC community. In contrast to most other games VM is neither a gambling site, nor a Ponzi scheme to give most money to only a handful of people. In VM every user has the chance to make the same amount of money, no pyramid anywhere.
So in just a few words – what is VM?
As the name says: Virtual Mining is virtual mining.
It seemed to become sort of a trend to spawn new forks for fast pump and dump. This lead to some serious opportunities to make money but It always had an impact on the BTC network since it had drawn computing power away from the real network. Also most of the chains were rather short lived. So this game is meant to put this on a different level. In VM you are meant to create virtual rigs and point them on virtual forks, here called “chains” (short for Blockchains). As of now there will be up to 5 parallel chains around and everyone can mine with as many virtual rigs on those.
As in real BitCoin you earn coins from mining which can be traded for Bitcoins on the site’s exchange. Therefore this game is basically a virtual BitCoin network.

So what are the rules?
Currently the game is running in a testing phase – therefore all of the rules are negotiable, except the one about cheating

-   Every user may “Buy” up to 35 rigs per account
  o   A rig can be upgraded 7 times
  o   A rig costs 0.025 Btc (including 100vMH (virtual MegaHash)) any upgrade 0.005 BTC per 100vMH
  o   We now have vASICs in store. These vASICs cannot be upgraded but have a very high amount of vMH to start with.

-   Users can create new Chains
  o   There can be a maximum 10 parallel active chains
    x   A chain is flagged inactive after 24 hrs. of no one mining it anymore
    x   A chain is deactivated (unminable and untradeable, 24hrs after flagging inactive)
    x   Every new chain costs 0.125BTC for every Chain already in existence. The first one is free, the 2nd costs 0.125, the third 0.25 and so on..
  o   There is currently no upper limit on coins created nor a way to premine coins. This might come later.

-   Users can create Pools
  o As of now pools are unlimited in size
  o A pools founder can set any fee he wants unless its less than 25% (to prevent cheating).
  o The chain a pool is mining can be set at any time.
  o Pools always pay proportional
  o Users NOT on a pool mine SOLO

-   To prevent bubbling on the exchange a fee of 0.3% exists on all trades. Fees go into a Faucet

-   Deposits are handled with a unique address every time. A deposition is “valid” and added to the account after 4 confirmations.

-   There is a small fee of 0.01BTC on withdrawal. This is to keep the server alive and cover transfer costs.

-   “Cheating”
  o   “In theory, as the service operator, I could keep the bitcoins for myself. I'm not going to do this, but I completely accept that people do not trust the service operator. It is their freedom of choice, and Bitcoin is about freedom.” (slush)

Have fun and please report every bug or suggestion here
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:53:11 PM

Changelog:
"Old Game -> 2.0"

Alright.. so what happened? After all the problems with my old VPS provider i had a lot of tasks to face in real life so i couldnt provide the support that was neccessary for the page. When i finished a good chunk of that work i began rewriting major parts of the game, including the main website and lots of stuff in the background. So basically you see the game being rewritten from scratch with patches froim the original code in it. Most notably should be the new front page that no longer relies solely on the virtual desktop which tended to be not usable enough for ingame applications like an exchange.. so i extracted it from the game and into the new front page.. same did i do with some other smaller features...

Anyhow.. since i am not fully done the page is still offline, but i plan to have it online by tomorrow afternoon CET.. maybe already tonight. (I am not going to go to bed until some important task is done..)

I will then relaunch the game in two phases. All my existing users will get an E-Mail about some stuff that will change for their accounts and that they will start to the game with a longer "early bird" phase of some days worth of mining. Other users will then be able to join again and play some markets..

So much for right now..
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:53:52 PM

reserved
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 11:07:04 PM

I wanted to turn my domain MiningFarm.com .info .mobi into a full fledge PC and mobile game but I'm not the creative type so when i came time to program nothing came out. Maybe we can join forces you sound like you have alot of great ideas as far as gameplay and the overall game.. What were you going to build this off of? Is this a text, 2d or 3d based game? Do you need a programmer? How do you plan on monetizing off this idea? Feel free to PM me for details you'd rather keep discreet.
cheers mate!
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 05:39:56 AM

I wanted to turn my domain MiningFarm.com .info .mobi into a full fledge PC and mobile game but I'm not the creative type so when i came time to program nothing came out. Maybe we can join forces you sound like you have alot of great ideas as far as gameplay and the overall game.. What were you going to build this off of? Is this a text, 2d or 3d based game? Do you need a programmer? How do you plan on monetizing off this idea? Feel free to PM me for details you'd rather keep discreet.
cheers mate!

With all due respect, please reread the OP. This is no traditional video game.

Nachtwind, I'm interested to see what you do with this. Hopefully you'll have less obstructions than last time.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 06:11:07 AM

cheers mate!

With all due respect, please reread the OP. This is no traditional video game.

Nachtwind, I'm interested to see what you do with this. Hopefully you'll have less obstructions than last time.

Yeah..same for me..
Virtualminer takes an awful amount of time to code but i _think_ i finally get where i wanted to be months ago already. Looking back i got to say that too much happened at once i couldnt control at all. My Provider turned off my VPS at one time without further notice due to insolvence. It took me sweet weeks to get back the URLs from that asshole and at that point already i had to fix and keep alive two websites that are, unfortunately, more important than this one.
Such bullshit can really ruin your mood when it comes to programming something like this.. and when i was to about to abandon virtualminer altogether i had a shitload of work to do..
Anyway.. i have spend a good deal of time of the past two weeks on this and i think that it really begins to look good... oh and to work good ^^

@Xenland
I am sorry, but i dont think that we have the same in mind...
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 06:24:50 AM

Okay well thanks for clearing things up for me guys, I see where you guys are going for......Its all clear to me meow
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 01:26:13 PM

Website is back up.. game still inactive but everything is usable.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 05:34:47 PM

Awesome job and concept, tell me when it is ready.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:59:48 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2012, 10:51:42 AM by Nachtwind

Alright..
Small update (i liked the transparent development and discussion in VM1 and i want to keep it that way):

Last night i have worked a lot on the inner mechanics of the block calculation system and might have a nice new toy at hand soonish.. So much being said: Users might edit (in an advanced way) how coins spread when a block is found.. but i am not 100% sure if that is a secure mechanism i found there.. more about that later.

Besides this i am taking out more and more stuff out of the Desktop mode or duplicating it in the website mode. Take a special attention on the chain managment stuff. Currently i am just duplicating the options from the Desktop mode.. but i think about adding a way of modifying the chain button for their creators... In certain levels of course:
Simple: Change name and abbreviation
Complex: Change name and abbreviation as well as blocks per hour
RealSolid: Change everything Wink
I would then flag Chains according to the amount of modifications.. But thats just some idea in the back of my head..

Also i stripped all "User Managment" out of the Desktop mode and brought it into the Website mode.. its easier to handle new alerts and options this way. Deposits and Withdrawals will be added with a logfile there as well.

Minor changes include a lot of work on the website mode GUI...

At last i want to start a discussion about how to continue: I think i will just wipe bank accounts (not BTC) and chain statistics but leave everything untouched.. but i would like to have some opinions on a full wipe (excluding BTC) as well...
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:38:03 PM

Finished almost everything that is on my list. The only thing missing right now is the faucet code.. but since there is no money in the faucet the faucet doesnt matter anyway.

I just sent the second Virtualminer newsletter to the user:
Hi,

Virtualminer is back online! After various problems with the previous VPS provider that deleted my Domains and killed off my VPSs I finally could get the game back up.
It all took much much longer than i ever expected it to, but i hope that everyone will understand that there can be times when real life work is more important than some hobby.. anyway.. in the past weeks i put a lot of time and effort into Virtualminer and can finally say: It is back online.
The whole game got rewritten in major parts. It is now divided into two parts: Website Mode and Desktop Mode. The Desktop mode is basically the old game but stripped of some elements like the exchange and user options etc. For this stuff we now have the Website Mode. On the website you will have access to most data and the new exchange. Aside of these changes i have also included a lot of patches and fixes that should make the gaming experience a lot more enjoyable.
The downside of this is that i have changed a lot of the inner workings of the \"block hashing process\" and the old chain definitions were no longer compatible. Due to that I had to make the hard decision to fully wipe the chains and coins (except BTC of course as well as the rigs..). But on the bright side: This is a fresh start and makes the game ready for the new algorithms..
The game is now halted till 12:00am May 1st (GMT) and will after then resume normal gameplay.
Till then you can set up your rigs, create chains or just explore the new page.

Cheers
Nachtwind
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 02:47:32 AM

So its like a purely text game and you just click buttons in a strategic manner? I guess nobody caught my sarcasum earlier I still don't get what this game is.. I guess I'll see on may 1st
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 03:23:44 AM

I can't seem to find a register link, have you implemented that yet?

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 03:57:42 AM

Just a guess but since the thread is titled starting may 1st I'll have to say that it is 99.999999999% likely its disabled...  Wink
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:21:21 AM

Just a guess but since the thread is titled starting may 1st I'll have to say that it is 99.999999999% likely its disabled...  Wink

The site itself is functional - virtual hashing doesn't start until the 1st.

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:40:09 AM

The site itself is functional - virtual hashing doesn't start until the 1st.
Sounds a little contradictory, but I'll withdraw from this conversation.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:43:00 AM

Wel........ to be honest? I forgot to add a registration link *G*
I had about 30 tasks on my todo list and didnt even think of the registration... damnit *G*

Registration should work in an hour.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:50:48 AM

Registration is fully functional now.
SOrry for that but i really dont have an idea how i could forget that bit...
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:39:23 PM

Thanks Nachtwind!

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 09:10:38 PM

Alright.. so far the game has been running for almost 10 hours and i got no complains.. that is a new record Wink

Anyway - its picking up speed. I got a few new users today and many more using the game. Thanks for all your trust in the past month and hopefully we can all make that game work Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: