Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Add vCPU only chains?
Yes - 7 (53.8%)
No - 6 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: VirtualMiner 2.0 - Discussion (Closed)  (Read 15282 times)
Nachtwind (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:52:39 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2012, 01:24:04 PM by Nachtwind

The game is undergoing a major rewrite. Version 2 is still running but Version 3 will be online soon

What is it about?

„Virtual Mining“ is a game unlike any other currently found in the BTC community. In contrast to most other games VM is neither a gambling site, nor a Ponzi scheme to give most money to only a handful of people. In VM every user has the chance to make the same amount of money, no pyramid anywhere.
So in just a few words – what is VM?
As the name says: Virtual Mining is virtual mining.
It seemed to become sort of a trend to spawn new forks for fast pump and dump. This lead to some serious opportunities to make money but It always had an impact on the BTC network since it had drawn computing power away from the real network. Also most of the chains were rather short lived. So this game is meant to put this on a different level. In VM you are meant to create virtual rigs and point them on virtual forks, here called “chains” (short for Blockchains). As of now there will be up to 5 parallel chains around and everyone can mine with as many virtual rigs on those.
As in real BitCoin you earn coins from mining which can be traded for Bitcoins on the site’s exchange. Therefore this game is basically a virtual BitCoin network.

So what are the rules?
Currently the game is running in a testing phase – therefore all of the rules are negotiable, except the one about cheating

-   Every user may “Buy” up to 35 rigs per account
  o   A rig can be upgraded 7 times
  o   A rig costs 0.025 Btc (including 100vMH (virtual MegaHash)) any upgrade 0.005 BTC per 100vMH
  o   We now have vASICs in store. These vASICs cannot be upgraded but have a very high amount of vMH to start with.

-   Users can create new Chains
  o   There can be a maximum 10 parallel active chains
    x   A chain is flagged inactive after 24 hrs. of no one mining it anymore
    x   A chain is deactivated (unminable and untradeable, 24hrs after flagging inactive)
    x   Every new chain costs 0.125BTC for every Chain already in existence. The first one is free, the 2nd costs 0.125, the third 0.25 and so on..
  o   There is currently no upper limit on coins created nor a way to premine coins. This might come later.

-   Users can create Pools
  o As of now pools are unlimited in size
  o A pools founder can set any fee he wants unless its less than 25% (to prevent cheating).
  o The chain a pool is mining can be set at any time.
  o Pools always pay proportional
  o Users NOT on a pool mine SOLO

-   To prevent bubbling on the exchange a fee of 0.3% exists on all trades. Fees go into a Faucet

-   Deposits are handled with a unique address every time. A deposition is “valid” and added to the account after 4 confirmations.

-   There is a small fee of 0.01BTC on withdrawal. This is to keep the server alive and cover transfer costs.

-   “Cheating”
  o   “In theory, as the service operator, I could keep the bitcoins for myself. I'm not going to do this, but I completely accept that people do not trust the service operator. It is their freedom of choice, and Bitcoin is about freedom.” (slush)

Have fun and please report every bug or suggestion here

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:53:11 PM

Changelog:
"Old Game -> 2.0"

Alright.. so what happened? After all the problems with my old VPS provider i had a lot of tasks to face in real life so i couldnt provide the support that was neccessary for the page. When i finished a good chunk of that work i began rewriting major parts of the game, including the main website and lots of stuff in the background. So basically you see the game being rewritten from scratch with patches froim the original code in it. Most notably should be the new front page that no longer relies solely on the virtual desktop which tended to be not usable enough for ingame applications like an exchange.. so i extracted it from the game and into the new front page.. same did i do with some other smaller features...

Anyhow.. since i am not fully done the page is still offline, but i plan to have it online by tomorrow afternoon CET.. maybe already tonight. (I am not going to go to bed until some important task is done..)

I will then relaunch the game in two phases. All my existing users will get an E-Mail about some stuff that will change for their accounts and that they will start to the game with a longer "early bird" phase of some days worth of mining. Other users will then be able to join again and play some markets..

So much for right now..
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:53:52 PM

reserved
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 11:07:04 PM

I wanted to turn my domain MiningFarm.com .info .mobi into a full fledge PC and mobile game but I'm not the creative type so when i came time to program nothing came out. Maybe we can join forces you sound like you have alot of great ideas as far as gameplay and the overall game.. What were you going to build this off of? Is this a text, 2d or 3d based game? Do you need a programmer? How do you plan on monetizing off this idea? Feel free to PM me for details you'd rather keep discreet.
cheers mate!
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 05:39:56 AM

I wanted to turn my domain MiningFarm.com .info .mobi into a full fledge PC and mobile game but I'm not the creative type so when i came time to program nothing came out. Maybe we can join forces you sound like you have alot of great ideas as far as gameplay and the overall game.. What were you going to build this off of? Is this a text, 2d or 3d based game? Do you need a programmer? How do you plan on monetizing off this idea? Feel free to PM me for details you'd rather keep discreet.
cheers mate!

With all due respect, please reread the OP. This is no traditional video game.

Nachtwind, I'm interested to see what you do with this. Hopefully you'll have less obstructions than last time.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 06:11:07 AM

cheers mate!

With all due respect, please reread the OP. This is no traditional video game.

Nachtwind, I'm interested to see what you do with this. Hopefully you'll have less obstructions than last time.

Yeah..same for me..
Virtualminer takes an awful amount of time to code but i _think_ i finally get where i wanted to be months ago already. Looking back i got to say that too much happened at once i couldnt control at all. My Provider turned off my VPS at one time without further notice due to insolvence. It took me sweet weeks to get back the URLs from that asshole and at that point already i had to fix and keep alive two websites that are, unfortunately, more important than this one.
Such bullshit can really ruin your mood when it comes to programming something like this.. and when i was to about to abandon virtualminer altogether i had a shitload of work to do..
Anyway.. i have spend a good deal of time of the past two weeks on this and i think that it really begins to look good... oh and to work good ^^

@Xenland
I am sorry, but i dont think that we have the same in mind...
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 06:24:50 AM

Okay well thanks for clearing things up for me guys, I see where you guys are going for......Its all clear to me meow
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 01:26:13 PM

Website is back up.. game still inactive but everything is usable.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 05:34:47 PM

Awesome job and concept, tell me when it is ready.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:59:48 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2012, 10:51:42 AM by Nachtwind

Alright..
Small update (i liked the transparent development and discussion in VM1 and i want to keep it that way):

Last night i have worked a lot on the inner mechanics of the block calculation system and might have a nice new toy at hand soonish.. So much being said: Users might edit (in an advanced way) how coins spread when a block is found.. but i am not 100% sure if that is a secure mechanism i found there.. more about that later.

Besides this i am taking out more and more stuff out of the Desktop mode or duplicating it in the website mode. Take a special attention on the chain managment stuff. Currently i am just duplicating the options from the Desktop mode.. but i think about adding a way of modifying the chain button for their creators... In certain levels of course:
Simple: Change name and abbreviation
Complex: Change name and abbreviation as well as blocks per hour
RealSolid: Change everything Wink
I would then flag Chains according to the amount of modifications.. But thats just some idea in the back of my head..

Also i stripped all "User Managment" out of the Desktop mode and brought it into the Website mode.. its easier to handle new alerts and options this way. Deposits and Withdrawals will be added with a logfile there as well.

Minor changes include a lot of work on the website mode GUI...

At last i want to start a discussion about how to continue: I think i will just wipe bank accounts (not BTC) and chain statistics but leave everything untouched.. but i would like to have some opinions on a full wipe (excluding BTC) as well...
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:38:03 PM

Finished almost everything that is on my list. The only thing missing right now is the faucet code.. but since there is no money in the faucet the faucet doesnt matter anyway.

I just sent the second Virtualminer newsletter to the user:
Hi,

Virtualminer is back online! After various problems with the previous VPS provider that deleted my Domains and killed off my VPSs I finally could get the game back up.
It all took much much longer than i ever expected it to, but i hope that everyone will understand that there can be times when real life work is more important than some hobby.. anyway.. in the past weeks i put a lot of time and effort into Virtualminer and can finally say: It is back online.
The whole game got rewritten in major parts. It is now divided into two parts: Website Mode and Desktop Mode. The Desktop mode is basically the old game but stripped of some elements like the exchange and user options etc. For this stuff we now have the Website Mode. On the website you will have access to most data and the new exchange. Aside of these changes i have also included a lot of patches and fixes that should make the gaming experience a lot more enjoyable.
The downside of this is that i have changed a lot of the inner workings of the \"block hashing process\" and the old chain definitions were no longer compatible. Due to that I had to make the hard decision to fully wipe the chains and coins (except BTC of course as well as the rigs..). But on the bright side: This is a fresh start and makes the game ready for the new algorithms..
The game is now halted till 12:00am May 1st (GMT) and will after then resume normal gameplay.
Till then you can set up your rigs, create chains or just explore the new page.

Cheers
Nachtwind
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 02:47:32 AM

So its like a purely text game and you just click buttons in a strategic manner? I guess nobody caught my sarcasum earlier I still don't get what this game is.. I guess I'll see on may 1st
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 03:23:44 AM

I can't seem to find a register link, have you implemented that yet?

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 03:57:42 AM

Just a guess but since the thread is titled starting may 1st I'll have to say that it is 99.999999999% likely its disabled...  Wink
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:21:21 AM

Just a guess but since the thread is titled starting may 1st I'll have to say that it is 99.999999999% likely its disabled...  Wink

The site itself is functional - virtual hashing doesn't start until the 1st.

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:40:09 AM

The site itself is functional - virtual hashing doesn't start until the 1st.
Sounds a little contradictory, but I'll withdraw from this conversation.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:43:00 AM

Wel........ to be honest? I forgot to add a registration link *G*
I had about 30 tasks on my todo list and didnt even think of the registration... damnit *G*

Registration should work in an hour.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:50:48 AM

Registration is fully functional now.
SOrry for that but i really dont have an idea how i could forget that bit...
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 07:39:23 PM

Thanks Nachtwind!

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 09:10:38 PM

Alright.. so far the game has been running for almost 10 hours and i got no complains.. that is a new record Wink

Anyway - its picking up speed. I got a few new users today and many more using the game. Thanks for all your trust in the past month and hopefully we can all make that game work Smiley
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 12:43:10 AM

Awesome, i bought a few rigs to play with! Cheesy
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 03:48:16 AM

Do the buy/sell feature works? I can place buy orders nor sell orders Sad
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 04:25:20 AM

I can't get anything in the exchange to work

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 05:29:05 AM

I never stop to surprise myself. I somewhat managed to comment out the parts of a file that handles buys/sells..
Simple reason: Sleepy mind saw those lines and thought "Oh, thats outdated code. Let me remove it" - and i put it into comments.. Buys and sells work now again.
CecilNiosaki

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 05:28:18 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2012, 06:13:27 PM by CecilNiosaki

I'm slightly confused. When playing the game, purchases are made with VMC, correct?

So, in order to play, you deposit coins, use the exchange, and then buy the virtual items you need?

Also, how much VMC does a virtual miner cost? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Look forward to playing Smiley

Edit: Found the answers to my question. Reading comprehension is a pain.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 08:35:56 PM

At the moment all purchases are done with BTC.. but i plan to implement a shop for rigs and upgrades in VMC that is cheaper than buying in BTC.. that might also boost the price of VMCs a bit.. well, we'll see. This is a somewhat busy week again. Will try to get some code done tonighht though.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 09:21:37 PM

Ok, as i said i am implementing a shop right now, but wont finish it till at least sunday evening (CET). Furthermore the next thing i will build is a deposit-detection-automatition. Currently users have to look up if the coins were deposited or not  and i want to automate that.

I have also a few more things in mind to start soon.
CecilNiosaki

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 10:59:50 PM

Curiously, do you have to remain in desktop mode with the virtual miners in Monitor? Or will they continue to mine even when you're offline?
Tittiez

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 04:40:23 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2012, 04:59:24 AM by Tittiez

Hehe, Titcoin.

Requests:
- The ability to make pools would be cool
- Trading between virtual currencies
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 06:07:01 AM

Curiously, do you have to remain in desktop mode with the virtual miners in Monitor? Or will they continue to mine even when you're offline?
No you dant have to stay in Desktop Mode. The game will remain hashing even when youre not on the website.

Requests:
- The ability to make pools would be cool
- Trading between virtual currencies

Pools: I currently dont plan on adding pools but i will write them on my list of features to look into. Currently the game simulates one big pool for every chain.. maybe later.
Trades: Same as above. I dont plan on doing that right now, but will look into it.

Changes i am working now include:
- Shop to buy rig upgrades etc via Virtual Coins
- Cancel trades in the exchange
- Finishing the faucet
Tittiez

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 03:21:55 AM

Looks like you forgot to add Liquidcoin to the "Not Allowed" names. Someone made a chain for it lol
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 07:22:00 AM

Looks like it.. I compiled that list before lqc came up.. I will talk with its creator
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 12:55:25 PM

Great site! I hope to start earning a few little BTC

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 04:27:52 PM

Great site! I hope to start earning a few little BTC

Thanks!

I hope we will all do that someday :0)

FYI:
"Liquidcoin" was renamed to "Fluidcoin"
whiskers75

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 08:32:48 PM

Yes - leave my tiny, starter virtual miner running for a month, and I'll have at least half a BTC (at least, that's what I hope!)

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 09:19:41 AM

Small update:

My current todo list looks like this (Somewhat in that order):
- Automatted Deposit handling (yeah.. i know.. thats been in there for a while..)
- Shop for Upgrading Rigs with virtual coins
- Teams (As my answer for the request to Pools. As pool would be a false definition in the game i think that "Teams" might be a better idea... got to look how i implement coin payout that way..
- Personal Messages
- User to User coin sending

Stuff i look into a bit deeper but havent decided on yet:
- IRC instead of my current Shoutbox (Maybe!)
- Instant User to User BTC transfer
...and some surprises...
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 08:23:08 PM

Ok...

Added Private Messaging and extended some more stuff.
Currently working on Deposit automatition and User to User coin sending..

For future reference only: What do you guys think about trading smallish currencies on my site? Talking about FBX, TBX etc..

*edit* Just passed the 10k lines of code (php only) mark.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 09:08:11 PM

Good to see this game up and running again. I remember the semi horrible VM1, and all of its bugs.  * reminiscing* Good times... What happened to the Earnies?!?!?!?! And Rycoins... I guess, those were almost cool, but not as cool as Earnies. If Ryland was still alive, he would be turning in his grave, too bad that being on fire and doing a backflip into a pool for bitcoins stunt killed him.

BUT! For the love of god another thing to add to your list, is switch what all of the miners are mining at once, it takes me an hour to go through all of my rigs and change them.

Also, how do I 51% attack in the game? If I remember correctly I have like 56% of the games hashing power.
cyberlync

Activity: 226

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 01:59:02 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2012, 04:43:30 PM by cyberlync

Hi there.

Noticed that some of my workers have been reset, hash wise. When I checked a few days ago, they were just fine.

edit: It's all fine now, perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Giving away your BTC's? Send 'em here: 1F7XgercyaXeDHiuq31YzrVK5YAhbDkJhf
Krakonos

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 01:24:37 PM

Hey, nice thing to play with. Only if you could upgrade your machines with virtual coins, THAT would be cool. Also:

- the desktop mode is buggy. It sometimes does nothing when I click. Maybe it could all be visible from nice & clean web interface as the rest of the page?
- in the exchange, you can't cancel order (but I probably can buy it back)

One question though: how do you plan to provide some liquidity? It's not like people have some use for the virtual currencies right now. The rig upgrades will probably help, but maybe some more stuff can be done?

Maybe people would be able to trade rigs (is the number of right limited right now?) or buy/sell virtual goods of some kind.

(And I'm thinking OpenTTD for BTC :-))

Tip jar: 1MWj8Etpt3ayLG5AvXwhtEU42szJD2m97z
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 01:57:20 PM

Sorry for mixing up your questions, but some of them can be answered together.

...Only if you could upgrade your machines with virtual coins, THAT would be cool.
One question though: how do you plan to provide some liquidity? It's not like people have some use for the virtual currencies right now. The rig upgrades will probably help, but maybe some more stuff can be done?

Basically i have a fully working shop at the moment for all sorts of ingame items like rig upgrades and rig buys etc - but the trade volume is too low at the moment to make this shop working. You could for example, buy 0.0001 SomeCoin for 1 BTC from yourself and raise the value of that chain high enough to have soon a BTC competing chain, but with close to no volume. You could buy everything on the shop and upgrade 10 zillion rigs in no time.
I could, of course use averages of 1 day, 1 week or so.. but it would be just a matter of "waiting" for somone to try this and ruin the game... But i still have some ideas in mind..

- the desktop mode is buggy. It sometimes does nothing when I click. Maybe it could all be visible from nice & clean web interface as the rest of the page?
The Desktop mode is the oldest feature in the game and i dont really like editing much about it.. but this "mass managment" stuff was requested quite often.. i will write such a thing as one of the upcoming features.

- in the exchange, you can't cancel order (but I probably can buy it back)
Is currently in testing and will be implemented with the next update.

Maybe people would be able to trade rigs (is the number of right limited right now?) or buy/sell virtual goods of some kind.
Basically that is the point with the coins Wink

All in all.. the sheer complexity of this game just overran me a few times in the past. In the very very beginning, more than half a year ago it was nothing but a better simulator of how chains can develop with given constatns like hash etc. Through the initial tests a small game evolved that now begins to outgrow me - or rather the time i can spend on it. Therefore i have to apolegize for bugs errors etc that i cannot fix in a short amount of time, same applies ofc for new features. But i do my best to give the users a good experience in the game as fast as possible.
Krakonos

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 02:17:05 PM

Thanks for the response.

The desktop mode is fine with me, only if it would work. I sometimes keep clicking for a minute until something happens. This is in opera and firefox, as I don't have other browsers.

Yeah, the though of cheating in low volume crossed my mind when I bought back my own coin to "cancel" the order and I agree that it is a problem.

The problem is, that you can't have volume until there is motivation to buy coins. And right now, there is no motivation. If you could provide some other game stuff, that would probably improve it, even if it was some kind of non-profit thing.

I'll be watching the game, as it seems interesting enough!

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 07:54:21 PM

Alright, now the earnies are back, the game can start again. Let me just make perhaps the most important announcement that you will ever hear/read.

Thats right, Earnies are back in Virtual Miner, the best coin for the job. Why you ask? Because they are modeled after real bitcoins! (and lets not forget they are advocated by me), so when your 1,000,000 coins per block coin has made its 500,000,000th coin they are worthless. With Earnies, its different, the difficulty will continuously rise to the point where it actually takes time/effort to generate ONE Earnie! So what does this mean for you? By mining Earnies early, you have a much greater chance of actually having an investment coin worth something. And with more VHash than any other coin, there is little risk of Earnies ever becoming an orphaned chain! So switch to Earnies today! You can only regret it, if you don't.
Krakonos

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 09:06:31 PM

So my investments are safe! Good! Unfortunately, I can't look at chain info for total Earnies and know it's mine anymore. Shame on you!

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:14:55 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2012, 11:29:26 AM by Nachtwind

Update 05/12/12

Added an Instant BTC transfer option (sort off..). You can now send BTC from one user to another directly. For that just open your "Deposits and Withdrawal" Page, enter any Username you like (NOT Address!) and send your hard earned BTC. (Still to come: Send virtual coins as well)
Sidemenu now shows your BTC amount in close-to-realtime.
I prepared the exchange for the cancellation of orders but deactivated the feature for as long as i wont be at home (Till Monday evening..) since i will be there if that somehow fails ;0)

Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 03:42:24 PM

Hey, been trying out the site, quite fun Smiley.

Just one thing I've noticed aside from what people have been saying lately, earlier you said, Nachtwind, you have a fully-working shop, but it doesn't seem to be working for me Sad When I try to buy an upgrade with any type of coin... it says "Button Here" instead of having a clickable button. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or are we just waiting on an update for this?

Again, awesome project Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Krakonos

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 04:51:16 PM

Just one thing I've noticed aside from what people have been saying lately, earlier you said, Nachtwind, you have a fully-working shop, but it doesn't seem to be working for me Sad When I try to buy an upgrade with any type of coin... it says "Button Here" instead of having a clickable button. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or are we just waiting on an update for this?

Yeah, I've been asking the same thing and the answer is somewhere above. Short version: it could be easily exploited. Currently I might offer to sell 1EAR for 1BTC, buy it myself (yeah, you can do that) and now I have 40 000 EAR = 40 000 BTC -> almost unlimited upgrades :-)

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 04:52:50 PM

Yeah, I've been asking the same thing and the answer is somewhere above. Short version: it could be easily exploited. Currently I might offer to sell 1EAR for 1BTC, buy it myself (yeah, you can do that) and now I have 40 000 EAR = 40 000 BTC -> almost unlimited upgrades :-)

Thats the reason why it is not yet implemented.. but will someday once i finish that exploitability.
First of all i must make sure that the exchange cannot be exploited - then i can build a shop. Sorry
drakahn

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 02:57:46 AM

perhaps make an in game "fiat" currency that the ingame chains can be traded for, the 'fiat' could then be used to buy rigs and upgrades, and i think you should buy it back at slightly less than its worth to you

this will push the exchange rate up of all coins to match how hard they are to mine to how much they could get paid for the fiat

this will increase the reward for spending btc in game, as well as create some circulation of all coins

you can control the btc -> fiat exchange rate to keep the bank healthy

you could add electricity costs for rigs/upgrades passed the free one, in 'fiat' so people will need it as soon as they spend it, this will minimise stagnant coins in dead accounts since once they are out of fiat only the free rig will be running un-upgraded

i would propose when someone pays to start a new chain, that money is used to create 'fiat' and a buy price is decided that is a little higher than its electricity cost - once that fund is out the coins survival depends on the players

in the end the sites bank is left in front, the btc paid to make the fiat is more than the btc used to buy the same amount of fiat back (of course, players would be free to pay more than you, increasing the circulation further)

---

edit : i would also like "rich lists" for all the coins

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 08:14:21 PM

perhaps make an in game "fiat" currency that the ingame chains can be traded for, the 'fiat' could then be used to buy rigs and upgrades, and i think you should buy it back at slightly less than its worth to you

this will push the exchange rate up of all coins to match how hard they are to mine to how much they could get paid for the fiat

this will increase the reward for spending btc in game, as well as create some circulation of all coins

you can control the btc -> fiat exchange rate to keep the bank healthy

you could add electricity costs for rigs/upgrades passed the free one, in 'fiat' so people will need it as soon as they spend it, this will minimise stagnant coins in dead accounts since once they are out of fiat only the free rig will be running un-upgraded

i would propose when someone pays to start a new chain, that money is used to create 'fiat' and a buy price is decided that is a little higher than its electricity cost - once that fund is out the coins survival depends on the players

in the end the sites bank is left in front, the btc paid to make the fiat is more than the btc used to buy the same amount of fiat back (of course, players would be free to pay more than you, increasing the circulation further)

---

edit : i would also like "rich lists" for all the coins

I like this idea, or just have a sort of weekly trend + curve protection, so if Earnies have been selling for 1 BTC (But I think they are worth more than 1 BTC) and then suddenly one is bought for 10 BTC (More like it) that data would be thrown out by the weekly curve. But having another game currency would be nice. But when you trade the Virtual Coins for the Virtual Currency, would the coins be removed from the game? Or would they just be put up for sale where other people could buy them for a Virtual Currency?
PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 08:28:16 PM

Gonna try it, just deposit 1 BTC.
Lets mine virtual  Cool
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 08:35:31 PM

My favorite part is the low power cost. All of my rigs together only use like 8 VKW/H.  Grin
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:18:19 PM

Ha! I was correct, Earnies are doing the best! Their high difficulty has made it so the number mined is trickling up, instead of thousands being dumped every hour. They have the highest/best value of any coin, and control 63% of the total mining power! If you aren't mining earnies, the question is, why not?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 10:34:42 PM

Oh, what is this? Earnies are still doing the best, and now control 64.4% of the total hashing power in the game. Could the 64.4% be wrong? Not likely, if theres anything we have learned from history, its that the majority is always right.
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2012, 01:14:25 AM

if theres anything we have learned from history, its that the majority is always right.

Uhh, then why doesn't the majority use bitcoin? Just saying...

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 10:54:32 AM

Going on a vacation next week.. so there wont be much of a development then
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:13:46 PM

if theres anything we have learned from history, its that the majority is always right.

Uhh, then why doesn't the majority use bitcoin? Just saying...

Well, it depends on where we are getting our sample from. If I asked if the Majority of the people in the world used BTC, the answer would be no. If I asked if the Majority of the people on this forum use BTC, I would say yes.

And then there are those very odd exceptions like if I asked does the Majority of Africa use any kind of money at all? And the answer would be no.

Oh and again, Earnies are still dominating all of the other coins! If you would all just give up your other coins, and trade in for earnies, then we could establish the official Virtual Virtual Currency.
whiskers75

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:35:37 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2012, 09:50:15 PM by whiskers75

I can't seem to add a withdraw address in the iOS site - and please make a mobile-friendly 'Desktop' page!

Edit: Check out VirtualBitcoins - the newest chain on the block.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 11:39:06 PM

Nachtwind, I have a few suggestions for when you are back:

• Implement a chain deflation feature; i.e. allow a chain to eventually reach a cap of coins (like bitcoin). This could be an optional checkbox and a setting "Block reward multiplied by [0.xx] every [xxxx] blocks". Said feature will also allow rampant-inflation coins as well, a double plus.
  • Allow anyone (not just the chain owner) to "upgrade" a chain's infrastructure. There are many examples:
    • Open a new exchange market xxx->xxx for a fee
    • Allow usage of the coin to buy coupons, if volume is high enough (by default, make coins unsuitable for this)
    • Lower the exchange fee for an exchange market for a fee
    • Allow access to that coin's richlist (people who have the highest stake)
    • Advertise the chain on the frontpage in an auction-like process
  • Allow chain creators to set initial block payments to a list of people, acting as a "pre-mine".
  • Decimal shift. Allow one virtual-coin to be priced at less than a satoshi (look at the prices now!)
  • Chain support! Some revenue of the website is used to support the exchange price of random chains that have some volume and are reasonably distributed.
ludo0777

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 01:18:01 PM

Is there a minimum deposit? And I just deposited, when will it show up?
whiskers75

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 06:27:05 AM

SaltySpitoon: got 1 7100 miner working at Earnies.
Also got 3 7100's workin for Virtual Bitcoins!

deadlyasp

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 11:26:06 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2012, 08:20:48 AM by deadlyasp

If I could make a humble suggestion, maybe a coin balance on the desktop? Having to exit out and go to the exchange every time I want to check my balance (which updates slowly it seems), or am I just missing something? (Also a help section would be lovely)

Oh, and is there anything that tells you say, shares submitted?

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:55:10 PM

Ok, finally i am back from holidays and that pile of work that was on my desk...

Sooo... there have been multiple requests.. let me try to answer to all of them:

- Mobile friendly Desktop mode
Very hard to do as i havent yet seen the same website on two mobiles look the same.. and this is especially happening for pages with a lot of javascript.. which would include virtualminer.. so i will try whatever possible.. but dont expect it to happen soon.

- "Implement a chain deflation feature; i.e. allow a chain to eventually reach a cap of coins (like bitcoin). This could be an optional checkbox and a setting "Block reward multiplied by [0.xx] every [xxxx] blocks". Said feature will also allow rampant-inflation coins as well, a double plus."
Its been in planning since the very first version.. and its high on my schedule.

- "Allow anyone (not just the chain owner) to "upgrade" a chain's infrastructure. There are many examples:
Open a new exchange market xxx->xxx for a fee
Allow usage of the coin to buy coupons, if volume is high enough (by default, make coins unsuitable for this)
Lower the exchange fee for an exchange market for a fee
Allow access to that coin's richlist (people who have the highest stake)
Advertise the chain on the frontpage in an auction-like process
Allow chain creators to set initial block payments to a list of people, acting as a "pre-mine"."

i like some of the ideas.. some.. well.. i think that introducing new chains to the frontpage would be interestering.. but i wouldnt like to have richlists. Same is with a premine.. for the sake of "realism" i could add it..

- "Decimal shift. Allow one virtual-coin to be priced at less than a satoshi (look at the prices now!)"
We will see about that.. maybe

"Chain support! Some revenue of the website is used to support the exchange price of random chains that have some volume and are reasonably distributed."
Been thinking about that for a while.. and since i cant seem to finish the faucet in any reasonable time anyway i might just do that with the money in the faucet account.. that might even be a very good idea.. got to find out a certain balance though..

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:12:22 AM

This is basically a stock market....

It would be funny if someone bought a bfl single irl and dedicated the coins mined to supporting their "stock price" ie: their virtual currency....

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:10:56 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2012, 09:20:02 AM by Nachtwind

This is a changelog for the upcoming Virtualminer update. Besides countless minor bugs and fixes i have also included some major changes that will fluently blend into the game. But since some of the changes (Pooling e.g.) will interrupt the current gameplay a bit, i will give people a chance to adapt to these changes. Therefore i will upload the update by Wednsday evening 8PM (CET) - so in roughly 50 hours.

- Exchange
Since there are a lot of smallish trades that are even worth less than a satoshi i decided to enforce a minimum trade volume of 0.0001 BTC per bid/ask.

- Chains
Every chain now has a upper limit for block generation. I have just given the existing chains a upper limit that is roughly 3x higher than the current block count. If you started one of the chains and want to have a different upper limite dont hesistate to contact me. I will change this of course.

- Coin generation
In combination with the block generation limit i introduce now subsiedy cuts.. currently those are hardcoded.
Under 50% of all created blocks the payout is 100%
Between 50% and 75% payout per block is 50%
Between 75% and 87.5% it is 25%
After that: 12.5%
If a chain reaches the limit of the block amount no more coins get generated.

This change was to come for a long while already. First of all it removes the absurd condition of having unlimited supply of coins and secondly it feels more realistic.
Furthermore it allows users to have a early adopter Bonus without using pre-mines.

- Pooling VS Solo mining
One major step forwards, or rather towards a more realistic Cryptocoin experience is a new feature i will introduce soon. Pooling and Solo Mining.
When this update pack is installed all miners will run solo. Every block you find will be given just to you. Currently every chain runs one big pool that proportionally pays the coins to all users mining it.. now with soloing and pooling you can decide which way you will go.
Every user can create a pool and set the fee the way he wants and change the chain the pool is mining. Normal users can join and leave a pool anytime they want by selecting a pool instead of a chain in his rig managment window.

- Rigs
I have increased the maximum number of rigs to 35.

- The next generation
We have heard a lot about ASIC and FPGA Mining, about the death of bitcoin and microcash being the next big step in the world of crypto currencies.. that all is just rubbish! Here at Virtualminer we have a big announcement:

Largest Virtual Mining solution ships new vASIC Mining rigs

(BITCOINTALK) June 25, 2012
Virtual Miner (Virtualminer Inc.), the market leader in virtual mining services, is unveiling today the technical specifications for three of its next generation virtual mining products:

1)    Mothlabs Habanero: a single vASIC driven unit hashing at 10vGH (guaranteed!), priced at 0.07BTC

2)    Mothlabs Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 vGH/s, priced at 0.25 BTC

3)    Mothlabs Bug Bomb: a single unit containing a whopping 50 vASICs and running at 500 vGH/s, priced at 2.5BTC

"Virtualminer has always considered itself a serious simulation of real world crypto currency structures and scenarios and our customers are leaders in providing virtual hashing for great technological challanges," noted Nachtwind, head of Virtualminer. "I know that our vASIC linup is simply outpacing all available products currently available and I am proud we finally could make this giant leap forward."

Venture Capital Funding Acquired, Record Rate of First Quarter Growth
Virtualminer, the largest virtual mining game, is now backed by private venture capital, and looking forward to continuing its operations in what some have recently labeled the “Silicon backwater” of Germany.
Founded in 2011, Virtualminer is a worldwide leader in virtual mining gaming. The Game offers a lot of fun, a real mining experience, and a community of gamers who know that they spend their time at the right game.
“Virtualminer” and “Mothlabs” are trademarks of Virtualminer all arround the world.

Nachtwind
Virtualminer inc
49 010 0110
Krakonos

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:45:23 PM

Is the ability to spend coins for something coming? Currently there is no liquidity, I know, but you could always use the minimum marker price or the last month average if sufficient proportion of users were active on exchange..

I think it would improve the liquidity a lot and even if someone would choose to cheat, he'd be paying the fee. You could always put top exchange for cases when the price will go higher, you'll use the limit. Example: you could say that one EAR is not worth to your mining company for more than .01 BTC and let users shop for this price at most (so if I'll cheat and drive the price to 10 BTC, my rig upgrade would still cost as it would at .01 BTC, but when the price falls down to .001 BTC, I'll pay ten times more EAR.

You'd be required to watch markets and make some tuning, but it's worth the time!

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:50:25 PM

i keep working on it.. i basically have a shop all done for it but the ability to cheat is still too big.. market regulatory stuff is something i look into but dont really know how to handle.. but i have some ideas there..
drakahn

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 05:27:19 PM

how about a scorecoin? scorecoin can only be traded with virtual chains, not mined or bought with btc, and the top holders are the top players

scorecoin would reset every N timeframes and the top N players would get a small btc prize (a percentage of trade fees  perhaps) pushing the price of virtual chains up as people chase the prize

I also think it'd be better to leave it all free market, don't sell hardware/upgrades for virtual chains, only btc but let players sell them for virtual chains, so prices would be set by users (some trying for profit some trying to clear off old hardware)

how bout storage space? instead of limiting rigs to a hard number, have players start with a 'home' that can fit a few rigs in it, and have new storage for sale for bitcoins (And again player sellable for virtualcoins) could range from a small and cheap shed to an expensive huge datacenter (that because of extra cooling allows for extra upgrades) and people could have as many rigs as they want to pay for (more btc for the prizes for top scorecoin holders...) - hardware for sale takes up as much room as hardware in use... storage can't be sold if there are rigs in it

I'm not sure I understand the limits you have put on now... why not emulate bitcoin and just have the coin generation be set to Na blocks of Nb coins per Nc days(retargeting at end) and block generation halves every Nd days
this would give a limited supply and still last for as long as the game does without a few people having all of them

bitcoin would be 2016 blocks of 50 coins per 14 days, block generation halves every ~1470 days (off the top of my head)

with this bit
"Under 50% of all created blocks the payout is 100%
Between 50% and 75% payout per block is 50%
Between 75% and 87.5% it is 25%
After that: 12.5%"

does that mean the most popular (meaning the least likely to be going to one user) chains pay less? and the chain that only has a few users gets more? so its bad for a chain to be popular?.... i don't think i get it

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:46:49 PM

how about a scorecoin? scorecoin can only be traded with virtual chains, not mined or bought with btc, and the top holders are the top players
scorecoin would reset every N timeframes and the top N players would get a small btc prize (a percentage of trade fees  perhaps) pushing the price of virtual chains up as people chase the prize

I really like that idea... that might be what i need to make trading more interestering.. let me work that out on paper first though.. but i am very positive that this will come..

I also think it'd be better to leave it all free market, don't sell hardware/upgrades for virtual chains, only btc but let players sell them for virtual chains, so prices would be set by users (some trying for profit some trying to clear off old hardware)
I was thinking about a trade in option for vASICs later.. might take the opportunety and create a rig market rather than just a trade-in option..

how bout storage space? instead of limiting rigs to a hard number, have players start with a 'home' that can fit a few rigs in it, and have new storage for sale for bitcoins (And again player sellable for virtualcoins) could range from a small and cheap shed to an expensive huge datacenter (that because of extra cooling allows for extra upgrades) and people could have as many rigs as they want to pay for (more btc for the prizes for top scorecoin holders...) - hardware for sale takes up as much room as hardware in use... storage can't be sold if there are rigs in it
That idea is not bad.. but currently that hard limit of 30 (35) rigs was set due to two factors: Screen space in Desktop mode and the old "probability and payout"-code for coin generation.. as i change the second part anyway due to solo/pool mining i will rethink the limiting..

I'm not sure I understand the limits you have put on now... why not emulate bitcoin and just have the coin generation be set to Na blocks of Nb coins per Nc days(retargeting at end) and block generation halves every Nd days
this would give a limited supply and still last for as long as the game does without a few people having all of them
i try to emulate the way that bitcoin handles stuff... but it is hard to build one way that works for all chains so i decided to half block generation basically in the same fashion half-life times work. Every "half" time (so from first block to 50% of all blocks to be mined for example) you get the full amount of coins... the closer you get to the end though the less coins are paid out (just like with bitcoins).

does that mean the most popular (meaning the least likely to be going to one user) chains pay less? and the chain that only has a few users gets more? so its bad for a chain to be popular?.... i don't think i get it
Not really.. it works for all chains the same. If you have a chain with 100 users it will run the same way as a chain with 5 users. Difficulty adjusts the speed in which blocks are found anyway. The coin generation is somewhat disconnected from that though. It will happen for every chain when they hit the "50% block" (..the 75% and 87.5% block) every time then the coin generation is halfed. Just like in Bitcoin basically. You start, for example, with 50 coins per block, after 50% of all blocks you will have a payout of 25 coins, then 12.5 coins per block...

But i am open for suggestions on this particular feature.
Krakonos

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 09:17:43 PM

To fully simulate bitcoin, you need to make use of the infinitely lowering reward and transaction payments, together with limited money supply. It will create new dynamics, so that it may be efficient to mine a popular chain while the reward is low, since the chain is used frequently for buying stuff and thus has some income from transaction costs.

You can also imitate lost coins by requiring 0.3% fee on all transactions, but giving the miners only .15%...

Another thing would be to implement device classes, to simulate GPU and CPU chains like bitcoin vs. litecoin, so if someone will buy a lot of vASIC devices for bitcoin, he'll not be able to mine scrypt chains since his hardware just isn't capable; CPU would mine really slow on sha256 chains, but would be realatively quick on scrypt chains and someone could think of scrypt vASIC.

And a lot more. This is probably far to the future, but is worth doing, since the simulation now is just missing something...

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:49:14 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2012, 10:12:53 AM by Nachtwind

Server is currently down to a hardware defect. It is being worked on already.
Working again.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 05:48:25 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2012, 07:58:59 PM by Nachtwind

Postponing the update for an hour. Start will be at 2100 2200 2300 CET

Running into problems with pooled mining vs solo mining..... Sorry people...

While waiting you may want to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WUhOnX8qt3I
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 09:03:46 PM

Website updated and ready for the new rigs, pools, solo mining action etc etc...

I removed that subsiedy cut... will add it as option later.. maybe.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 09:16:45 PM

Next addons:

Players will be able to sell/buy rigs for ingame currency from other users. So you will be able to flag a rig as "sellable" and set a price in any ingame coin you want.
That way i want the users to set a price for the coins they mine with the goal of having those chains have a "real" value.

Also i am going to add "shares". Each share can be bought with ingame coins and shareholders will get the tradefees paid out according to the amount of shares they own. These shares will be removed after a monthly dividend has been payed and can be rebought afterwards.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 09:25:56 AM

Newsletter:

Hi,
Today i finished updating Virtualminer to the most recent version.
To all of you who dont read the Bitcointalk thread regularly: This update changed a few major game mechanics and therefore could need your attention.
Up till now all chains were mined proportionally - that means you could just set your rig to mine a certain chain and thats it. You did get coins whenever a block was found. As of today i introduced pooled and solo mining. As in Bitcoin every user is now mining for himself - if he has not set his rig to mine on a (user created) pool. So if you are actively participating in the game you should either create or join a pool - or happily mine by yourself.. but please note that this change is now introduced.
In the next few days i will introduce some more codechanges.. most notably some new way to increase the value of virtual chains. Users will then be able to sell their rigs for virtual coins and furthermore will be able to buy shares from the game.
With these shares you are entitled to receive a part of trade fees that are proportional to the amount of shares you have.
Last but not least i have started the vASIC revolution:
I have now three new vASICs in store that are way faster than even the most upgraded rig...
Last but not least Chain creators are asked to PM me. I have introduced limits for block generation to all chains. Every new chain will have to have an upper limit of blocks to create. For all existing chains i have set the limit to roughly 3x the current block count. If you feel like this is inappropriate for you chain: dont hesitate to tell me. I will change it.

Smaller changes include:
- New and improved 'hashing' algorithm. Now it benefits people with more hash more than people with higher amounts of rigs (just the way Bitcoin works)
- Minimum trade volume on the exchange: the minimum trade volume is 0.0001BTC now
- UI fixes
- Maximum rigs bumped up to 35 rigs per user

Will be included ASAP:
- Top Hashers Top 50 Users in terms of hashing speed
- Top Finders Top 50 Users in terms of block finding
- Rig selling/buying
- Shares
- Automatted deposits (Yepp, thats again on my list..)

Cheers
Nachtwind
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 08:26:26 AM

Looks fun,
i noticed a few glitches though.

After i set a Buy-order, i get
Notice: Undefined variable: mintrade in /home/virtualminer/public_html/func.exchange.php on line 52
(same notice on a Sell-order, but  it's line 165) and some strange symbols in the Amount/Price fields.

Besides that, it seems we're still unable to cancel orders, which would be nice if we hit some wrong numbers or something.

Oh and on the desktop, withing the Build a new Rig window, you mixed up the ASIC numbers a little,
it shows 10vGH for both, the Habanero and the Bug Bomb, in the dropdown menu it's set correct again though.

And as someone else mentioned,
it would be cool, if we could get a vCoin overview on our desktop-dashboards, not only BTC, so we don't have to go back and forth from desktop to the exchange just to check our balances.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 08:27:52 AM

Looks fun,
i noticed a few glitches though.

After i set a Buy-order, i get
Notice: Undefined variable: mintrade in /home/virtualminer/public_html/func.exchange.php on line 52
(same notice on a Sell-order, but  it's line 165) and some strange symbols in the Amount/Price fields.

Besides that, it seems we're still unable to cancel orders, which would be nice if we hit some wrong numbers or something.

Oh and on the desktop, withing the Build a new Rig window, you mixed up the ASIC numbers a little,
it shows 10vGH for both, the Habanero and the Bug Bomb, in the dropdown menu it's set correct again though.

Thanks for the information.
I will add those things into the current batch of patches (online later today).

*edit*Quickfixed the typo and mintrade error.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:40:07 PM

Smallish update:

Included TRADE CANCELLING
Added a "Top 5 users" and "Top Pool" widget on the news page.
Finetuned DIFF calculation
Started working on the "Fee-Shares and Rig Shop" System... if everything goes well users will soon be able to buy rigs off other users and users may buy shares to be paid dividends (in btc) i release weekly or monthly. Those fees come from Exchange fees and global upgrades.
Removed the Faucet due to above idea.

*edit* clarification:
"Top5 Users"
Top5 is currently defined by vGH owned. I will subsequently add a score to the game. This score will be related to trade volume, rigs, hash and some more things.. but currently its just hash Wink
lainw

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 02:09:26 AM

Hello iam member vnews

first nice service i love it

2 thinks for future too addon
1.Sub-Accounts (let them run own pool like) maybe with ref? (please ref. not to high onetime 2% or something like)
2. Very IMPORTANT!!! let us transfer/withdrawl all currencis the own please tooo

soo and now some errors i see and get ;8

1. buy&build too 2 chains now all away cant see reale or manage anything ;(
2. Cant buy new thinks with other coins see on desktop coupons not working;(

thanks in advanced hope your projekt grow up
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 09:32:57 PM

Smaller update today.. preparing a somewhat larger update to come at the weekend..
Todays changes:
- Two more vASICs: The exterminator and the Beetlejuice
- "Background" changes to rig registration managment and so on and so on... preparation for a future update (if it comes)
- Added the "shares" to the game.. as of now the shares dividend is composed of trade fees and fees for global upgrades. Shares will be available to be bought tomrrow. There will be an initial 1000 shares which will cost 0.001 BTC paid in virtual coins only. I hope to add some value that way to virtual coins and increase the amount of trades that way.

Changes soon to come:
- Share trade
- new Rig managment stuff
- Automatted deposits.. i finally found the time to implement it. Need to test it tomorrow and will then include it
- Some more Mail Alert triggers

------------------------------
Hello iam member vnews

first nice service i love it

2 thinks for future too addon
1.Sub-Accounts (let them run own pool like) maybe with ref? (please ref. not to high onetime 2% or something like)
2. Very IMPORTANT!!! let us transfer/withdrawl all currencis the own please tooo

soo and now some errors i see and get ;8

1. buy&build too 2 chains now all away cant see reale or manage anything ;(
2. Cant buy new thinks with other coins see on desktop coupons not working;(

thanks in advanced hope your projekt grow up

1. I wil add refs again.. not sure what i will give them thoug.. will have to think about that first.
2. I can add a way to transfer coins of all chains like BTC. That wont be a larger problem

Ingame purchases are still deactivated - they are to error prone and invite cheating.. at the moment at least.
EnergyVampire

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:04:57 PM

Hello Nachtwind,

This game looks very interesting and I would like to play it but I'm a still a bit confused (sorry, slow learner here  Tongue).

Q1: Is this a browser based game only?
Q2: The mining rigs are purchased with BTCs, if I understand the rules correctly, but why would someone buy the newcoins I find?
Q3: Can mining rigs be purchased with newly found VirtualMinercoins?
Q4: Is there a "Guest" account so I can take a look around without having to register?

Edit: Added Q4

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:11:10 PM

Hello Nachtwind,

This game looks very interesting and I would like to play it but I'm a still a bit confused (sorry, slow learner here  Tongue).

Q1: Is this a browser based game only?
Q2: The mining rigs are purchased with BTCs, if I understand the rules correctly, but why would someone buy the newcoins I find?
Q3: Can mining rigs be purchased with newly found VirtualMinercoins?

1) Yes, its purely browser based (but you dont have to be logged in all the time.. (i say that because i have users that keep thinking logging off removes everything they have...

2) Well, the basic idea of Virtualminer almost a year back was to have an alternative to that trend to spawn altchains all over the place (i0coin, ixcoin, solidcoin, tenebrix..). There was not a single week without it's big new bitcoin fork.. and i just wanted to enable people to experiment with some characteristics of bictoin-like blockchains. So.. imho a virtual coin has about the same "value" as an altchain coin because people invest time and money - jsut like on Altcoins..
Also to bring some "real" value into those virtual coins i will start to sell virtualminer shares ingame for virtualcoins - so virtualcoins will gain some value due to that as well..

3) No.. this is a feature i would love to have but due to the low trading volume a single user could cheat that game by raising or lowering the value of a coin too fast.. i am working on an alternative though. I will enable people to sell THEIR rigs for virtual coins so people have to trade the price for virtual coins up to make a profit by selling stuff.. but as i said, i am still working on it and in quite an early stage with lots of RL getting in my way at the moment.
EnergyVampire

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:15:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Nachtwind,

Sorry, I have one more question:

Q4: Is there a "Guest" account so I can take a look around without having to register?

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:17:22 PM

No there is not.. but you dont have to pay anything to start playing. Just register and look arround all you want Wink

*edit* not even the mail address is really neccessary
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 11:01:37 PM

We heard you liked mining so we put some mining in your mining so you could mine while you mine.

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 08:08:13 AM

We heard you liked mining so we put some mining in your mining so you could mine while you mine.

Umm.. am i allowed to quote that? Wink
NothinG

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 08:20:23 AM

Only if you're Xibit.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 03:23:22 PM

Only if you're Xibit.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:18:17 AM

Development is a bit slowed at the moment... University is keeping me busy at the moment..

Still i will implement the following stuff later tonight:
- Limitation of vASICs.
The demand was higher than expected.. so i will limit the vASICs tonight...

Habanero: 1000x
Single: 250x
Bug Bomb 20x
Exterminator 10x
Beetlejuice 5x

That way those crazy speed increases i have seen in the last few weeks should be a bit smoothed..

- Rig Managment
At the moment you can only manage your rigs in the Desktop mode and i finally want to implement (if possible to finish debugging today) a second layer of managment in the website mode. Here you will be able to:
Set chains/pools for rigs, delete them or flag them for selling

- Rig market
Continuing the thought of aboves idea i will offer users the chance to sell their rigs/vasics to other users for virtual coins

- Stock market
I will add the final touches to the stockmarket for virtualminer shares.. Dividend will be consisting of fees for global upgrades and exchange fees. Currently the dividend pot is 0.25BTC.
This way i want to add some incentive to trade and to use the game and maybe add some more value to the virtual chains...
wrend

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:02:30 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2012, 02:39:02 PM by wrend

As a halve Joke:

I would like to develop some banking application, and an online wallet for Currencies in VirtualMiner.

Is there anyway to design applications compatible with VirtualMiner.

P.S. I see your game as the most original, I had ever came across.

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:00:05 PM

Hm... since coins are just numbers in a table here and not tied to a blockchain any form of offsite storage would lead to cheating or at least the chance of cheating.. if you like i can extend the existing (minimal) api till you can build stuff surrounding it.. we can PM about it..
drakahn

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:14:11 PM

Hm... since coins are just numbers in a table here and not tied to a blockchain any form of offsite storage would lead to cheating or at least the chance of cheating.. if you like i can extend the existing (minimal) api till you can build stuff surrounding it.. we can PM about it..

just have a complete api, when you make a feature, have a way to do it by json (or whatever api) then we could make lots of offsite tools, hell even a fake bitcoin client and address system

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:24:27 PM

Basically thats true, but i have no way (yet) of securing transactions since i dont have a real blockchain running... but i will give it some thoughts...
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 11:16:42 PM

With regret i have to inform you of some... unprecedented actions.

Until now i only have banned a single user (with multiple accounts) for attacking the site with multiple mysql injections - none of which worked by the way. Turned out it was someone from this community who tests gambling and gaming websites for their security.

When i was redoing some work on the database i have had the.. excellent sensation of seeing strange values in there.. it seemed some users owned more coins than some chains would ever produce... which of course is not so fortunate for all the other users. One single user had put up sell orders of a volume of 6000+ BTC with a single coin having a value of 0.00000001 BTC.. you can imagine the numbers i suppose.
Therefore i deactivated some parts of the code (as in the good old times) but i also have banned the users that were identified cheating.

If you see your account not being able to log in anymore or receiving a message about being banned you should send me a pm and clear stuff up. As for the others... you will of course understand that i wont keep developing new features until i found that hole.. but its 1am and i have enough for today Wink
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:42:25 PM

Luckily at least one case was solved right away: i banned a user who wasnt cheating but an old regular who has already played a few tiers of the game in the past.. so thats a relief :0)

Still the bug is here and i cannot seem to find the time to hunt it down.. sorry for that delay.
Currently deactivated:
Exchange
Cancelling trades
wrend

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 07:16:58 AM

If you are able to secure it it you game would be very interesting. Please let us know when/if you find an issue.

This experience must be priceless to you, it terms of how much a developer learns in a process of development.

And if you would be able to give others ability to develop apps for your base system(which has to be secure), maybe it would be interesting to some? (is anyone interested?)

So in principle if people are able to make money your game will be popular.

As for cheating do you have a rollback mechanism, so that the numbers could be returned to before attack level.

Another thought: for some people best part of your game would be ability to cheat.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:30:43 AM
Last edit: July 14, 2012, 10:59:48 AM by Nachtwind

I think i found the exploit and fixed it...

Anyway.. i have now added some minor stuff to the game and finally added the option to buy shares.
Dividend will be paid every 1st of the month automagically and consists of Trade Fees and the fees for upgrading the global hashing power. Therefore some of the money flows back to the users. Shares can only be bought with actively traded virtual coins - it is somewhat cheat prone in a sense that you cant just buy your own chain up easily, but this has to be tightened.. but as i dont have a real 24hr volume (yet! i hope) i have to do some workarround. Once i have real 24hr volumes the 24hr average algorithm will change.

About the API: I am still quite busy here but leave me a pm and let me know what API calls you need.. i then will implement them.

*edit*
vASIC prices are all 25% reduced till July 21st.
Khanduras

Activity: 168

Movin' on up.

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:44:12 AM

They seem to be the same price they always were.

Bitcoin Address: 1N1sex4rktWdxBJcFTczYZF5Xa75C47j4c                 |
Mining Income Address: 15wgpV7fDN8fVYn1q9QaPb9XSLjGRhry5L    |
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 12:14:17 PM

This is interesting as a concept and I hope it does well.So this is like:
1.Buying a 'virtual' mining rig which you then buy with BTC
2.Then buy virtual upgrades in hashpower to mine more coins.
3.You then exchange these coins for BTC/another currency.
If I understand correctly and explain this in a simplified manner,the steps I wrote above shoul more or less reflect what you're doing in this 'game'.

There are pros I see in this:
1.You don't need physical space to store regular mining rigs that physically exist.
2.No need to use electricity at your end so no utility bills for mining.
3.No noise and heat as this is hosted elsewhere and virtualised.
4.No need to constantly tweak and struggle with miner settings as this is all standardised (from what I can see) when you buy an upgrade.
5.You can still make BTC/alt currency while doing this.

The only con I can see is that you need BTC initially to start off with but it's easy enough to acquire (buy at an exchange,mine them normally for we short while,offer services/products,etc) but that's kind of obvious since nothing is free without a catch.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:49:18 PM

They seem to be the same price they always were.
Yeah.. i just checked it.. they SHOW the same price, but buying them is cheaper than regularly. My bad *changing this*

This is interesting as a concept and I hope it does well.So this is like:
1.Buying a 'virtual' mining rig which you then buy with BTC
2.Then buy virtual upgrades in hashpower to mine more coins.
3.You then exchange these coins for BTC/another currency.
If I understand correctly and explain this in a simplified manner,the steps I wrote above shoul more or less reflect what you're doing in this 'game'.
Thats the most basic idea.
The whole Virtualminer idea started back when Ixcoin, I0coin, Tenebrix, Fairbrix, Soiledcoin etc started. I was rather tired of this game that everyone needed to spawn his own little Bitcoin clone in order to test one or two features.. so back in the days Virtualminer was more aimed towards simulating a BTC like chain with somewhat changed parameters (payout, blocks till diff change etc). Within a short time very very early testers (Aug 11) found this to be rather a game then a simulation and since then i followed that idea and kept writing a game out of the main idea.

There are pros I see in this:
1.You don't need physical space to store regular mining rigs that physically exist.
2.No need to use electricity at your end so no utility bills for mining.
3.No noise and heat as this is hosted elsewhere and virtualised.
4.No need to constantly tweak and struggle with miner settings as this is all standardised (from what I can see) when you buy an upgrade.
5.You can still make BTC/alt currency while doing this.
That was yet another idea of having a total virtual cryptocurrency... for mining i0coin (e.g) people always removed physical mining power from the bitcoin blockchain and also chance was higher a newly created altcoin could get killed off by only a small amount of users. Therefore this total virtual approach

The only con I can see is that you need BTC initially to start off with but it's easy enough to acquire (buy at an exchange,mine them normally for we short while,offer services/products,etc) but that's kind of obvious since nothing is free without a catch.
Well... yes. You need BTC initially to start competitive playing - but the reason for this is simple: if people dont invest money, how should they give value to the chains? In real life you have to invest in mining equipment as well. If mining was completely for free Bitcoin had no value (in my opinion...). So this game bases arround the idea that users have to pay a little something in order to give them a feeling of "a coin has value". I have tried to strengthen this now by allowing to buy shares of the game with virtual coins, so users get real BTC for something they buy with virtual coins.

And thats one of the main problems with the game: with about 280 users there is still only a low amount of players who really invest time, and money and really try to make the chains work with some real value. Unfortunately the volume is so low that it is still cheat prone (sell a few days your own coins to yourself for a few BTC and you have the best selling chain) but i hope users can control that... at the moment the market is quite self regulating and i hope it will stay that way.. and of course that more people will join of course Wink

------
By the way. There was a short downtime between 2am and 9am today morning (CET) when the database somehow died.. nothing was lost though and the game continued normally.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 10:37:39 AM

Added Poll: "vCPU only chains"

Question: Do you want to have different kinds of "hashing algorithms"?
In the real world there is sha256, scrypt, soiledcoin and some more..

So i wonder: is there any need for a modification that you can also add GPU resistant chains like scrypt (Now.. please dont discuss scrypt/gpu... thanks)?
Spenzert

Activity: 142

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 01:10:29 AM

Hello,
Sorry for this, but I really don´t understand:
Is this just a game, or a game where you can really earn money outside the game Huh
Thanks, it looks interesting!  Wink

Edit: I think this is just a game, I found the faucet, but it´s says "Currently Not Active" Huh

BTC: 1SpzM1yPu8SKPnr5zjn7ptXWGKFNywcoi | LTC: Lcz5RHPcxcrp63k1HNbAQUTQkUWon2RoMr
PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:41:04 AM

Hello,
Sorry for this, but I really don´t understand:
Is this just a game, or a game where you can really earn money outside the game Huh
Thanks, it looks interesting!  Wink

It is both. It is a game where you have to build up a mining farm and it is a simulation of cryptochains at the same time. You can earn money, but it is like with Bitcoin, Litecoin etc: You have to trade and make a tradeoff between investing and earning.

Edit: I think this is just a game, I found the faucet, but it´s says "Currently Not Active" Huh
I wonder how you found the faucet. It has been disabled ages ago and removed from the menu 0o
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 05:10:24 PM

I wonder how you found the faucet. It has been disabled ages ago and removed from the menu 0o
I found it on Google Grin

BTC: 1SpzM1yPu8SKPnr5zjn7ptXWGKFNywcoi | LTC: Lcz5RHPcxcrp63k1HNbAQUTQkUWon2RoMr
PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:17:04 PM

Google has a way tooo long memory Wink
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 05:26:19 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 05:42:26 PM by Spenzert

Google has a way tooo long memory Wink
Hi again Cheesy
Should I create a rig now? And join some "Chain"?
I´m a bit noob at this game lol

Edit: My "Deposit Address" is empty? o.O

Edit 2: I got it, I create a rig and join a chain, is this correct?

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:50:43 PM

TO make it simple: Do what you would do in Bitcoin Wink

Create a rig, and then join a chain.. or a pool. Its up to you Wink
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 05:56:54 PM

Ok, but how can I deposit Bitcoins into the game? Sad
My "Deposit Address" is empty...

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:00:28 PM

ohh.. i see this is some bug coming from the new deposit system. will fix it in a few minutes!
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 06:02:31 PM

ohh.. i see this is some bug coming from the new deposit system. will fix it in a few minutes!
Cool! Let me know when you fix it Wink

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:35:24 PM

Should be fixed. My bad!
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 06:40:08 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 11:46:08 PM by Spenzert

Should be fixed. My bad!
I now have the address Cheesy
I will deposit something soon as I get 0.025 BTC Tongue

P.S: This is awesome! Cheesy

Edit: Deposited the amount required to buy a vASIC! Cheesy

Edit 2: lol, I have done so much edits here, and so much smiles...

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:40:49 AM

Should be fixed. My bad!
I now have the address Cheesy
I will deposit something soon as I get 0.025 BTC Tongue

P.S: This is awesome! Cheesy

Edit: Deposited the amount required to buy a vASIC! Cheesy

Edit 2: lol, I have done so much edits here, and so much smiles...

Better to edit a lot and put a lot of smilies in there than once ranting and making the project look bad Wink
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 05:35:52 PM

The game is pretty cool, I found it little buggy when selecting the pool/chain, but it´s a minor problem... Wink
The problem is, I really don´t understand the rates --"
How much is worth each 1.00 EAR in BTC Huh

PGP/GPG Key
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 06:04:35 PM

1 Earnie is worth infinite moneys.

Anyway, Nacht sorry I had forgotten about VM, but you know I'v been here since day 1, and plan on staying. My first question is, what are shares? I went to the exchange and found that, and was a bit confused. Second, is the option to trade virtually mined coins for an in game currency in progress?
Tittiez

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 03:33:08 AM

Feature request, a calculator that works with each chain, so, you know, you can calculate how much you will earn.
Cyclone

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:53:23 PM

When will more shares be added? I missed them when I was on vacation, I'd love to buy a few...
Tittiez

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:54:58 PM

When will more shares be added? I missed them when I was on vacation, I'd love to buy a few...

I got 27  Smiley
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:23:40 PM

I got 917, don't know what they do, or how many were issued, but I'v sure got them.
Cyclone

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:53:33 PM

I said "When", not "How many did everyone get", lol. I don't suppose anybody'd be willing to sell me 3-4 for some VMC?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:29:41 PM

I don't think you can sell them.
Cyclone

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 10:37:44 PM

It was worth a shot I suppose. Guess I'll just wait on more to be added.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 10:47:26 PM

Hi,
sorry it took me so long to get back here Wink

Well, shares..
As somewhere discussed earlier these shares can be bought only in limited amounts with virtual coins. On every 1st of a month those shares will be removed from a users account and made available again. For those stocks though users will get their share of global upgrade and trade fees - as to encourage trading and upgrading of course.

Right now shares are not tradable but i think i will somehow implement that.. also i will impose a maximuma mount of shares per user.. maybe.

About the proposals: A calculator is.. hard to do. As many people still mine solo it would be hard to get a somewhat useful value from a calculator.. i can only give you odds, nothing better.
fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:39:03 PM

I don't know why this reminds me of Stock Generation. Anyways, good luck on that idea.  Cheesy
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:56:32 PM

I don't know why this reminds me of Stock Generation. Anyways, good luck on that idea.  Cheesy

Well, its sort of "deflation" method - the coins paid for it are gone - and it should encourage trading.. i just hope that will work Wink
Tittiez

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:44:52 AM

About the proposals: A calculator is.. hard to do. As many people still mine solo it would be hard to get a somewhat useful value from a calculator.. i can only give you odds, nothing better.

Isn't that what every calculator for bitcoin gives you anyway? Then at least you can get a general idea of how much of a chance you have at solving a block.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:05:57 AM

ok.. i will consider that Wink
Tittiez

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:23:54 AM

Come on new month I want some shares!
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:06:38 PM

Currently preparing the first "dividend" Wink

As of now there is a pot of 0.348469 availabel, consisting of trade fees and global upgrade fees (i hope for the next month for this to be more :0/)
5000 Shares have been sold so at this moment 1 share is worth 0.0000696938 BTC

I will do the payouts tonight by hand (by hand as in running the script myself) to see that everything works and then put it into my cronjob list.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:53:26 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 04:09:06 PM by Nachtwind

Shares paid.

--------------------------

Upcoming changes:
 - As the vote about nonasic chains was unconclusive yet slightly moved towards the Yes side i will postpone that idea for a while:

Add vCPU only chains?
                 Yes    7 (53.8%)
                  No    6 (46.2%)

- Shares will be automatically paid out from now every last day of the month at 1pm CET
 - More to come...

---------------------------

Congratulations to our 300th User Smiley
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:55:55 PM

Bought many shares as I could Grin

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:29:13 AM

Newsletter August 3rd:

Hi,
The recent increase of Bitcoin's value - we made it back above $10! - forced me to lower the prices for ingame purchases. Since the game's prices were made to work at about $5 per Bitcoin i have now reduced all prices by 50% to reflect the new price niveau. I will reserve the right, of course, to change this back if the price drops again. Furthermore i think about adjusting my prices from now on automatically to the current BTC/USD price.. but this might take a while still.

Also congratulations to those chosen few who got a dividend paid in BTC bought with their virtual coins :0) I am glad that that worked.
You can increase the dividend by trading and by buying global upgrades in game.

Thats it for today.

Talking about affiliate links now.. any ideas for those? Wink
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:36:55 AM

2 Minor changes:
Due to the increased demand i have changed the Global Hashing system slightly. For the same amount of BTC you get 5x the global hash upgrade. That way it is ensured that you can actually upgrade enough for larger vASICS..

Due to that i have increaded the global hash limit by hand to match the new settings. So users who upgraded yesterday dont have a disadvantage.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 09:25:28 PM

Game will be stopped for maintainance tonight.

Basically i will upgrade the server and change some software on it.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 04:04:02 PM

bitcoin is catching up at the moment... cant tell when the game will be rolling again. I will start up the mining daemon once bitcoin caught up
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

Up and running again.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 09:16:04 AM

Newsletter 08/20/12

Hi,
After last weeks scheduled maintainance the game runs now for one week straight again and there is no trace of any problems i had on the old setup, even more - i was able to 'speed up' block finding again to 1s intervals without the server to choke every now and then. So the game is back online and from the technical point of view it is working better as ever.
The current instability of the Bitcoin price gives me some headache. The game was tuned towards a price of $5 per 1BTC but when i think of the past days everything seemed possible as price for 1BTC. Therefore i keep my current pricing scheme, which is basically aimed at 1BTC = $10. That way all items keep their current price until the price of bitcoins has somewhat stabilized again. Then i will try to assign new, fitting prices.

Development: Development of Virtualminer has to be stopped till September 26 since i will be on an excavation until then and not having any internet connection or access to the game.

Please note that if you find bugs in that time you can of course send me private messages via Bitcointalk, but i will be unresponsive for most of the time.

About some rumors: Yes, i am currently working on a second project (altcoinexchange.com) which is basically my approach to a real life exchange for altcoins and bitcoins, but i dont plan on selling or dropping virtualminer anytime soon. It is interestering what kind of stories i have so far heard and no, Virtualminer is going to be kept up to date and alive. But it IS true, that i currently put aa bit more effort into altcoinexchange.com due to the simple fact that it is a new project for me and virtualminer runs stable with no bigger bugs known to me that have to be fixed or features that i am missing. That said i would like to ask you to register at altcoinexchange.com to help me in the debugging times. Currently it is running in 'Alpha' mode with no real deposits or withdraws just to test features and find bugs.

Thats it for today.

Cheers
Nachtwind
CaptChadd

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 02:05:42 PM

Going to give this a go. Seems like a great game to me.
drakahn

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:26:38 PM

Hey i went to buy a vasic and it spat out some json and when i went back to the page i had two of them with the same name, i can't edit one of them and it took the btc for it -.- ... i only wanted one

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:42:26 PM

Hey i went to buy a vasic and it spat out some json and when i went back to the page i had two of them with the same name, i can't edit one of them and it took the btc for it -.- ... i only wanted one

Ok, i removed the vasic (the one not set to any chain/pool) and gave you the BTC back.
CaptChadd

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 12:50:39 PM

i had the same problem but I ended up with 4 rigs instead of just the two. But I am ok with them and will keep them.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 12:51:43 PM

ok...

That is really strange. So far i never encountered that kind of problem and never edited something in that particular part of the game..
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 10:30:41 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2012, 10:42:48 PM by Nachtwind

Game was shut down for today... somehow my PHP died and i am just not awake enough right now to fix it. Will start repairing the server by tomorrow morning (CET)
CaptChadd

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 12:03:48 AM

Will the hashing still be worked out for tomorrow or is it now in stasis?
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 12:06:00 AM

its currently in stasis.. been completely resetting the server for the last few hours and installing everything back from scratch. To be precise the last backup was taken on 0:00 CET.. so hashing will continue at that point when i run the game again.. but.. well, problem is the game is depending on bitcoin.. and that thing is currently downloading the blockchain..
When that is done i will get back to copying back the game files, start the daemons etc...
CaptChadd

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:08:54 AM

Does that mean the rigs that I bought will dissapear now then and be like I have never bought them?
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 07:22:50 AM

Does that mean the rigs that I bought will dissapear now then and be like I have never bought them?
Only if you bought them in the... 10 or 12 seconds between me taking a backup and shutting it down.. and i had an eye on it that this didnt happen Wink
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 07:20:33 PM

Server is still catching up... but it will take a while.
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 08:11:23 PM

Server is still catching up... but it will take a while.
You could download the Blockchain a little from Bitcoin Sourceforge Repository, then it would be faster to have the complete Blockchain Tongue
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:15:25 PM

wouldnt be much faster imho... its catching almost up as fast as it can... but it will still take a while till everything is settled.
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 09:00:31 PM

wouldnt be much faster imho... its catching almost up as fast as it can... but it will still take a while till everything is settled.
It's better to have 70% of Pre-Downloaded Blockchain instead of 0% Wink (Since downloading via HTTP is faster than Bitcoin P2P, correct If I'm wrong Grin)

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 09:34:51 PM

well about 90% of the chain were downloaded in two hours via p2p Wink
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 10:21:43 PM

well about 90% of the chain were downloaded in two hours via p2p Wink
Problem with p2p is that the client has to verify the blocks. This isn't done if it is injected manually.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:22:01 AM

The game is back online.
drakahn

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:03:11 AM

Can you add some pool stats?
Like how long since its found a block, each chains hashrate distribution ( http://blockchain.info/pools ) things like that

Everyone join shallowtit, it will be arbitrarily cycled through the chains

----
Just for kicks, you could add a vponzi panel :p, just like the pools, people can pay to create a new vponzi, then set the vcoin type, % returns, etc --- something else to add to a 'score' or 'achievements' would be profiting from a vponzi, and also having the longest running vponzi...

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:18:30 AM

I will add that stuff once i am back.. wanted to have such stats for a while anyway.
drakahn

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:20:59 AM

Cool Cool
Pre reserve me "Virtual Savings and Trust" when you do :p

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:22:40 AM

Cool Cool
Pre reserve me "Virtual Savings and Trust" when you do :p

Thats ok...

Virtual Savings and Trust
-Your investment, our money-
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:58:15 PM

Newsletter 08/24/12
Hi,
Some of you might have noticed an unscheduled downtime on August 23rd when the game was unavailable for almost 48hrs. Mining was suspended in that time and so were deposits etc. Long story short: My linux died in a most horrible way.
Just to inform you: The game is up and running again and i had to make a rollback of just a few seconds. Nothing was lost or reverted.

I also took the opportunety to change some minor stuff. I lowered the minimum trade volume to 0.000001 BTC (was 0.0001 before) and added a special and highly limited 5vTH miner to the game. The miner will be available only until September 24th and then removed from the buyable parts forever.

Thats it for a while...

Cheers and see you when i am back home
Nachtwind
drakahn

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 12:01:02 AM

Join RAREclipseMC - Mine ALL the Rarecoins!

drakahn

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 01:29:27 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2012, 01:59:22 PM by drakahn

Join RAREclipseMC - Mine ALL the Rarecoins!

..hmm ... no rarecoins yet ... still on only 85 blocks mined. ... what's the go with that one?

edit - not getting virtuallitecoins either ... hmmmm .... I guess I need other people on the chain with me to activate it

CaptChadd

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 06:06:16 PM

Is there an option to sell rigs back?
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:05:41 PM

Small update from San Francisco:

No, there is no way of selling rigs back.

Working on something here on my free time for a future update of Virtualminer.. might end up in Virtualminer 3.0 Wink
And no... no game restart planned for that.
andy345

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:15:02 AM

When do you pay dividends for the shares?
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 10:00:26 AM

Was supposed to be 1 September Sad

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:22:57 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 04:15:15 PM by Nachtwind

looks like the cronscript glitched. I will try to fix IT asap but Please Have patience : i am on phone 99 per Cent of the time atm and 10000km from my Computer

*edit*
Ok, was able to use my laptop for a minute today and fixed the share script. Sorry for that, there was a typo in the script that prevented execution. Its fixed now.
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 05:19:26 PM

looks like the cronscript glitched. I will try to fix IT asap but Please Have patience : i am on phone 99 per Cent of the time atm and 10000km from my Computer

*edit*
Ok, was able to use my laptop for a minute today and fixed the share script. Sorry for that, there was a typo in the script that prevented execution. Its fixed now.
Thanks, and have fun in San Francisco Wink

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 03:35:33 AM

No Longer SF.. now its Port Aransas (TX) for a few days ,0)

Sorry if i reply to slowly to any bug reports, but i am very very very short on time.
CaptChadd

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:07:51 PM

What date do shares become available to buy each month?
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 09:10:23 PM

What date do shares become available to buy each month?
Soon as the dividend get paid, day 1 of each month, you must buy FAST otherwise someone will buy it all lol

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 12:17:56 AM

Yeah, there seemed to have been some glitch in the code with the shares... AND someone bought them all for this month.
When i am back home i will reconstruct that part of the game a bit so its a bit fairer...

Also: Best wishes from the ass end of texas, hello Terlingua ^^
CaptChadd

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:40:16 AM

This first come and first served system for shares is a little unfair. What about people in different times zones? I am in the UK so what time would shares be available for me? If it works out 3am for me but a nice and easy 7pm for someone else then they have the advantage.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:19:50 AM

Well, basically the shares get paid on the 1st of every month at 12am. but since the cronjob glitched last time and i had to fire it up manually it didnt work this time perfectly.. and the bigger BUT (no pun intended) is that i am going to rewrite the whole thing when i am back in germany (still i am at the ass end of texas (the world??)) to change it towards some somewhat fairer system..

I thought about increasing the amount of shares to "unlimited" but making them more expensive in tiers or with some function.. i would like to have a sys like
< 1000 shares = .2x todays value
< 2500 shares = .5x todays value
< 5000 shares = 1x todays value
< 7500 shares = 1.5x todays value
< 10000 shares  = 2x todays value
< 15000 shares  = 2.5x todays value
> ....

Or any other suggestions?
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:32:44 AM

habeniero ?

bug bomb ??

this is the funniest thing I have seen all day

i don't even

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:23:34 AM

It's been a while Wink

Well.. i am back home - sort of and going to restart working on VM 3.0 (still dont plan on restarting the game). In the course of action i will add some totally new ideas and some older ones will get a new painting...

About the shares: seems like the 10/1 shares were paid according to the amount of shares and dividend existing: almost all the shares were on one persons account and there was 0 BTC to be divided Wink

Sorry for being unavailable for such a long while now and for continuing to be unavailable, but real life has really some higher importance at the moment.
drakahn

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:40:50 AM

I bought a bunch of shares and it says i have 0 :x ... also never got any rarecoins (Have changed away from it now until it works)

cyberlync

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 01:42:06 PM

It's been a while Wink

Well.. i am back home - sort of and going to restart working on VM 3.0 (still dont plan on restarting the game). In the course of action i will add some totally new ideas and some older ones will get a new painting...

About the shares: seems like the 10/1 shares were paid according to the amount of shares and dividend existing: almost all the shares were on one persons account and there was 0 BTC to be divided Wink

Sorry for being unavailable for such a long while now and for continuing to be unavailable, but real life has really some higher importance at the moment.

That's friggin ridiculous. Selling shares without any dividend. Yeah I was the one who got the previous shares. :/

Giving away your BTC's? Send 'em here: 1F7XgercyaXeDHiuq31YzrVK5YAhbDkJhf
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 09:52:52 AM

Alright... current situation

As most of you know i am quite busy with real life at the moment and therefore cant really do much about VM, yet i am working on Version 3 of it which is about to launch sometime this november. Currently i am rewriting most parts of the core game to make it more.. comfortable using and fixing it if something happens. Also i am getting rid of some "quick and dirty" solutions i did right at the start of Virtualminer and never took out (like, for example, using a TEXT field in the database to store the users balance..) furthermore i have already rewritten the shares part. Shares will still be ingame and they will still be depending on users actions but they will also be fairer in terms of availibility etc. The next thing i am working on - and thats my main task for the moment - is making the rigs more realistic. What i mean by that is simple: A rig wont just be a standard "part" anymore that can be outfitted a few times with more mH - a rig will be some exchangable mainboard with more or less PCIe slots and more or less fast cards in it. Important to tell: This option wont break the old game and users who already play the game for a longer while will, of course, get some bonus when it comes to the transition.
So what else is on my list? Oh yea..

- User "Shop" to sell vGPUs, vASICs etc.... for Bitcoins
- Limited Supply hardware: It will be harder to get a 6990 than a 6850 in the game as it is in real life.. and if you have one you might sell it again...
- Dividends depending on various sources (Tradefees etc)

Now with GLBSE gone i cannot easily create one feature i would loved to have, but i am also planning giving out shares for the game (maybe in the game?) where shareholders are entitled to get their part of the overall income of the game.. well.. we will see about how i am going to do that.

So much for now.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 10:40:37 PM

Some pictures of the current progress:

Start building a new rig by just dragging and dropping your components into the "new rig":

Virtualminer will on the fly calculate the speed of the new rig which now no longer depends on just "upgrades of nnn mH"

Now Virtualminer will have a wide array of various Hardwares:

I think the new version will be up and running in maybe one or two weeks... and right now i dont see a reason for nuking any kind of user or chain data.. as it is now everything is portable to the last bit :0)
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:18:18 PM

Progress report:

Real life struck yet again and i had to take a break for a week.. still rewriting core parts of the game but i can say that much: It will become awesome ;0)
deadlyasp

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 01:17:51 PM

I thought our balances wouldn't be affected by the transition to 3.0? D: I've lost over 500,000 EAR, who knows how many VMC, over 4000 shares (yes i know the system was flawed but I still spent all my coins on it, since there was nothing else!).....Talk about throwing BTC down the drain >:|
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 01:18:42 PM

There was a rounding issue... nnn,nnnnnnnn was translated to nnn.0 which is of course wrong. Trying to find more of such errors at the moment.

I wonder why that happened only to that one account so far only though..

About the shares: i have them saved but they are not yet used. I want to reactive them once the system is ready again.

*edit*
Would someone please close this thread?
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 06:27:39 PM

Hello! Smiley
I have been away from VirtualMiner, one day I checked my "Status" on Virtual Miner and had more than 1000 EAR, yesterday I discovered VirtualMiner started running VirtualMiner V3, but I only have 12 EAR and 1 rig (I had 2 rigs), can I know what happened?

I had 2 Rigs, Rig_1 and Rig_2, and at this page I can only see Rig_2:
http://virtualminer.eu/index.php?p=rigs

Thanks.

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 06:51:23 PM

Hello! Smiley
I have been away from VirtualMiner, one day I checked my "Status" on Virtual Miner and had more than 1000 EAR, yesterday I discovered VirtualMiner started running VirtualMiner V3, but I only have 12 EAR and 1 rig (I had 2 rigs), can I know what happened?

Thanks.

Same reason as with the other bug.. something with the conversion.. i have converted a few dozen rows by hand. looks good now i suppose. And your rig is back online.
Spenzert

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 08:23:26 PM

Hello! Smiley

Thanks.

Same reason as with the other bug.. something with the conversion.. i have converted a few dozen rows by hand. looks good now i suppose. And your rig is back online.

lulz, that message was supposed to be a PM, but by mistake, I posted to this topic and didn´t noticed until I saw your answer Embarrassed

PGP/GPG Key
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 08:30:30 PM

Thats ok.

I have locked the topic since there is a different one handling 3.0.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: