Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:28:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HyperStake Development Journal (HDJ)  (Read 18354 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mafort1469

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:17:27 AM

All things spoken here are aimed towards the curious individual to educate them on how/why HYP is what it is. Excellent post David!
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
David Latapie (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 12:02:12 AM

Thank you dear readers for your kind words. I would like to mark a pause on my long writing (work at Malla will be intense) and to start some shorter posts about things I read on various threads. See it as an open notepad.

SMS transfer considered harmful (for privacy)
I proposed somewhere to implement SMS transfer (via 37coins, like MYR did). Then my Monero colleague fluffypony posted this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg8912811#msg8912811
Now, SMS for HYP is OK (especially if we can embed a link to Apple Store/Google Play for a semi-auto install of the mobile wallet. It is just that it won't be private but HYP is not aiming to be private anyway. Still, worth mentionning.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
forbesmining

Activity: 297
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:38:30 AM

Feel like I'm growing brain cells here, one of the very best threads on bct, please keep sharing, thanks.

waxo

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:12:04 AM

mafort1469

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:26:17 AM

Just so everyone can have it here, the link to the HYPWiki: http://hyperstake.wikia.com/wiki/HyperStake_Wiki

Please read as there is fantastic information there and content is always being added/improved.
David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 02:23:32 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2014, 02:34:51 AM by David Latapie

Things are going exponential with HyperStake. This digest is meant to show some examples of such activity.

After the price recently tripled (then came down a bit), more and more initiatives are happening. This deserves a listing, although an unordered one.

Latapie pledge: automatically selling 25% of your stake to an exchange for XMR. Manual selling. Increases liquidity, helps maintaining #1 position in XMR market (=> visibility => adoption)

Stolen coins. Holder Dexpla had his coin stolen. OK, his own fault but still, giving some support would be nice. Address is here pC65u6zPz9SHkffKYa4Jn69dAD5zy8yyVY. Once multisend and triggers (up to 1k, up to 3 days, up to 10 stakes...) will be operationnal, even better. Update: HYP] Dexpla support Hall of fame
"HyperStake: don't do evil"

Achievements
  • Price up to more than 3k
  • Up to 97 persons on ##hyperstake (the picture is for 95, if you have better one, contact me)
  • We have 257 Twitter followers
  • Diff is above 1, which is exceptionnal for a pure PoS coin
  • We are #81 at coimarketcap
  • 24 hours volume broke the 10 BTC barrier. Now we are playing with the big boys, with a green border around the ticker

Wikia. Still more articles on the HyperStake wikia. If you want to stay current: http://hyperstake.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity

Version 1.0.6 is a massive upgrade:
  • Themable wallet with changes on the fly, better icons (some animated), look at the pictures! Other themes (like Poloniex and Poloniex-Night) should appear later
  • Persistant Stake For Charity/HyperSend (no need to restart it everytime you launch the wallet), with dedicated sending notifications (so now, you know if your stake stays in your wallet or is sent to an external address)
  • Block Explorer
  • Better calculations, new DNS seed, the HYP explorer (the one you can register your address to)
  • Deleting old receiving addresses (useful for those who misunderstood "split in several blocks" for "split in several addresses, backup your wallet first because if you delete the wrong address, you lose all the coins in this address, forever)
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=678849.msg8930165#msg8930165

IRC, dfletcher wrote the hyperlotto bot. Looks even more addictive than rain (and costs less to donators). Sole issue: you get so much "highlight spam" you'd better either deactivate highlighting (not a good idea, I'd say), don't play or play with such low amount you do not appear as one of the biggest gambler. drewdrew even setup a dedicated chan, ##hyp-games, to reduce the spam - and right as I am writing, there is a proposal to add another game, a roulette. Meanwhile, trivias (mainly on HyperStake questions) and quizz continue. An some freeriders now have accumulated enough to start making it rain themselves. It's about sharing.

As you can see, a lot of activity going in just a week. This is very reassuring for the coin and very flattering for us, because it means HyperStake sparks off excitement. Thank you to all, be it developers, traders and holders.
And more to come.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
QTcurious

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:42:54 AM

Well Done Guys!!! I see no end in sight! Thank you all so very much for your continued support & development! You Rock!  Grin
Dexter12

Activity: 433

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:50:00 PM

I really don't know what to say about HYP, except one word !!!Amazing!!!!
No fud, no price talking, no bullshit. Excellent Community!! Excellent lead/dev. I am proud to be part of it (since the beginning)!

So YOU are still not part of it now?! Its never too late to be a HYPstaker. Buy some, stake them and repeat it, enjoy!!

mafort1469

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:07:16 AM

I really don't know what to say about HYP, except one word !!!Amazing!!!!
No fud, no price talking, no bullshit. Excellent Community!! Excellent lead/dev. I am proud to be part of it (since the beginning)!

So YOU are still not part of it now?! Its never too late to be a HYPstaker. Buy some, stake them and repeat it, enjoy!!

Thanks Dexter. All HYPsters are gold!
David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 01:20:15 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2014, 07:00:49 PM by David Latapie

Thank you all for your support, it really means something. I would like to thank Dexter12 in particular: "No fud, no price talking, no bullshit." You summed it up so well!

Just this once will not hurt. This entry will be pretty short. Noted stakelover Crazyloaf mentionned that HyperStake could make for a great game currency. That's the perfect occasion to write about one of those little things which did not make it into HYP.

I entertained at the beginning to have a 7 days staking period. Why seven? Because it allows people who depleted their stake, for instance by spending it on a game, to "have it back" exactly one week later. Much better readidiblity and thus adoption in my mind.
Now, this could not have work with HYP, since this is not an exact amount of time, but more like a probability and it depends on the size of the block. All of this I did not know by then (I was still thinking NVCS and more than that, I did not know NVCS as much as I do know).
Nevertheless, this anecdote is still worth mentionning: stake should be considered from a user point of view. What kind of new habit can emerge when you know that you will regularly get more money? Sure, some people will just waste it, as the basic income experiment in India showed it. But some will start to change their habits, to consider saving, for instance (remember what I said about education earlier). That can be very simple: instead of spending an undertermined amount of money on a game, now you only spend your HyperStake money. When there is no more, you must wait one week (or more). Sure, that's tough, but that could prove useful for people both poor and addicted. As Crazy said it: "I'd be interested in seeing how HYP could fare with gamers".

And you, which creative use of HyperStake do you have in mind? Some people talked about a multipool and Dexpla opened the cryptoclubz, the social network for crypto (by the way, my programmed sending gave him 200 more HYP since last time - I am the only one). What else? A yes, Hyperloan (you don't know what it is? you'll see).

I also discovered that a lot of people on the ANN are on the first high-PoS with HYP (thanks to all the community members who welcome and answer to the newbies). That should be an avenue to consider. We have an opportunity to get a professional-quality video (at a price). What would you like in such a video (or series of short videos)? Pure promotion, education to high-pos, tutorial... cycoinminer has a nice example. Iantunc has a good start for a tutorial (including the comparison with pool miner who could leave with your money).

Other thing, it is now possible to link straight to a block on the explorer. I have no use for it, but presstab cares to disagree Smiley

Oh, one last thing (I said this entry would be "pretty short" - yeah right). Crazyloaf (again) proposes a joint high-PoS IRC channel, to talk about HYP but also TEK, HBN, CAP, GRW, PHS... It would serve both purposes, I believe: first to be a place to talk about high-pos (TEK has tiny discussions on IRC and the others have none) and second to talk about everything that is coin-independant, like new uses of stalking, how to sell... He also has another idea, using HYP for tips the way DOGE, reddit gold and, more recently, bitmark on Poloniex are used. Feeling tHYPsy?

As iantunc stated, It is the experiment that tend to appear successful.

CrazyLoaf

Activity: 763
Merit: 534

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:12:00 AM

Feeling tHYPsy?

Oooooooo. I like it! Grin I think HYP can lead the way as the social high PoS coin of choice since it's larger number of coins and low-ish price can allow for a real sense of numerical growth. It also is a good representation of the enduring value of good online content and ideas. Content may only be posted once, but the value grows from that single bit of effort in creation as more and more people read, learn, share, and enjoy the content. Tipping with DOGE is a one time affair, but tipping with HYP will allow the gift to compound just like the ideas Smiley
David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 08:33:00 AM

social high PoS coin
http://www.cryptoclubz.com/ Although much help is needed in appearance and promotion, or maybe even business plan.

Tipping with DOGE is a one time affair, but tipping with HYP will allow the gift to compound just like the ideas Smiley
Particularly if the bot can stake (so far, only Unik has a staking bot).

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 09:41:09 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2014, 07:01:37 PM by David Latapie

HYP has two protections against dumps:
- (very) high-stake
- PoS-only, which prevents instadump

Granted, if Cryptsy accepts HYP, their autosell feature could lend people to instadump thanks to HyperSend/S4C. One more reason why I don't like Craptsy.

So I am completely happy having HYP PoS only, and would have it no other way. Not only is it safer, but it also gets rid of the ability to mine and instadump. For HYP, you need to either buy and dump, or buy-stake-dump. I like that model quite a lot, it seems to have good traction in the market so far on the supply side.

Also, as Presstab mentioned it on the CrazySteak Journal, "HYP has about 6 devs working on it at the moment [...] not to mention the friendly exchange of new code between HBN and HYP." Having several devs, and spread over several timezones, helps a lot.

(my, this one was short!)

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 08:39:53 PM

I believe that a sizeable part of my readership here is in HyperStake for more than "just more BTC". I hope you will like this short essay of mine.

United we stand, divided we fall - the coming rise of cryptofiat

I just wrote it straight in one hour so there is probably room for improvement. Anyway, inputs appreciated.

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 10:22:52 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2014, 07:02:20 PM by David Latapie

HyperStake continues expanding (##hyp-poker released, Hypberry on the way...) and climbing the marketcap ladder. One can rejoice, relax and enjoy, or can be proactive about the consequences. I prefer the latter.

HYP to the moon considered harmful
locohammerhead raised the first issue: barrier to entry
Quote from: locohammerhead on IRC
<locohammerhead>     question and this is just speculation.  IF we hit 1 USD/HYP and it takes 1,500 HYP at least to stake how are we going to get new people into the coin?
<locohammerhead>    I'm thinking if thats the case we will be in the same situation where NXT is

Without going that high, the price of HyperStake could one day make it difficult for people to get at least 1,000 HYP (which is the recommanded minimum to have a good chance to ever stake). At this point, what do we do? Giveways would probably be taken mostly by the same persons, same for faucets. In any case, this would mean that HYP would be under medical care, with artificial life-support, which is neither good nor durable.

With great power comes great responsabilities
Look at the richlist. The biggest whales (presstab, waxo, me, crazyloaf) have 6% of the coins. We know each other well and we have an ethic and we won’t sell like this and the community trust us. But this doesn’t suffice. The same way a coin shall not be on medical assistance, it should not depend on the good will on whales. A peculiarity of PoS is that the biggest holders are generally also the biggest “miners”. As someone pointed it on reddit.

Quote from: illogy on r/Bitcoin
PoS coins [...], always end with centralization because, as I have said, once someone [...] gains majority possession of the units of money, they control the currency forever.
So, noblesse oblige. We just cannot do whatever we want with our HYP. If we sell, some other people will become the biggest whales. At least you know us and so far, we had the best interest of HYP in mind. But as in the benevolent dictator for life model, this is a gamble. For you smaller holders (Sword of Damocles, anyone?), but also for us: if you distrust large whales, you could sell and turn the price down. At least we don’t care about cashing out so even if the market entered a bearish mode, you can be confident the money would still be in good hand — if we decided to sell a large stake of our HYP, future rich list leaders might not have that kind of scruples.
Okay, all of this may look academic and just food for thoughts. So let met make it more real: we are still under the radar for the moment (partly because of the economic model of HYP, which doesn’t require big pumps, which attract people), because we are still pretty low in marketcap, but we already outpaced Mintcoin and at times Boolberry. The higher we will climb the ladder, the more FUDers, unscrupulous traders, pump-and-dumpers and the lot will attack HyperStake. “No one attacks shitcoin” (© smooth) and since HYP is proving daily that it is not a shitcoin, you can be sure we’ll be attacked — and the question of whales will sure be the subject of many attacks.
So, we will be attacked and must prepare ourselves to this. Si vis pacem, para bellum. Announcing it is for the moment my best line of defense.

HyperBank
Millionnaires (or HYPllionaires Smiley) don’t use their money like you and me use it. I use my money to buy enough to eat, go in holidays, buy some gifts and give a bit to charities. Millionnaires do not simply do the same but on a higher level (well, at least some don’t — philanthropreneurs). They invest their money in things that cannot be done with less money.
Being millionaire in HYP is not different than being millionnaire in fiat. You have opportunity to do Things That Matters™.
True to my belief that “emulation works” (see Stone=1; Birds=many), I try to constantly listen to ideas from other people, then test the water to see if other persons are interested enough into it; then I try to act accordingly. This is how I decided to pursue the idea of HyperBank. And since this requires gathering a (good) team, I also want to make it with the best people around.
HyperBank is such a project (it might not happen, a lot of things are speculative and depend on availibility and motivation of the coders and designers). It is an extension of my previous proposal (see Where no coin had gone before) of fighting financial illiteracy among the youth — at a time when everything is decided.
In turn, having a themable wallet make it easier to have a theme for children - remember what I said about learning? financial illiteracy is plaguing the modern world. Piggycoin was the first coin to try to address this topic and we believe that HyperStake with HyperSend could help raising awareness on sharing and saving - plus the ease of keeping track of spending thanks to the blockchain technology.

HyperBank would itself kill several birds with one stone. It would partially address the problem of “too big to stake” that I mentionned on the first section of this post and would help unwealthy adopters to step in - as well as, as a part of the HyperShield initiative, help securing HyperStake by increasing visibility, hence volume.
It is the combination of four ideas:
  • HyperBank proper (cycoinminer, iantunc and Cor2)
  • HyperLoan (cycoinminer)
  • Hypiggy, the children-friendly educative wallet (me)
  • Hyppi the tardi, a proposal for a mascot, both cute and resilient (me for the name, Crazyloaf for the tardigrade)

HyperBank
HyperBank helps to widen adoption and to increase the bounty wallet ("all benefits go to the community wallet", a not-for-profit bank, ^^).
I will just copy verbatim cycoinminer, iantunc and Cor2.
cycoinminer:
So, whilst I’ve been away on holiday for a few days, I’ve been thinking about HyperStake, and how we could build some more services around it.
One which came to mind would be HyperBank.

We all know that HyperStake offers us around 18% interest every 9 days, and looking over the statistics of late, HYP is keeping a pretty reasonably steady price.

What I’m proposing is to open HyperBank, offering owners of BTC the chance to share some of the high interest gains, without any of the risk.
HyperBank would operate a guaranteed return on investment of 2% every 10 days, for BTC deposited in the “bank”. With their investment, the Bank can invest this in HYP, and make a tidy profit from staking.

So, if you were to invest 1BTC in HyperBank today, then in 10 days time, you’d be paid back 1.02 BTC.

It could also open up the “Richlist” hoarders an opportunity to sell to the market, without flooding the market and causing a price crash.
iantunc:
Let's model the idea of HyperBank. It surely will increase visibility, at least at Poloniex. Every time an investor will try to allocate, for example, 5 BTC, a correlated buy order will drive the price and volume up. But after 10 days this investor will wait for his interest given back, e.g. 2%, or 5.1 BTC. At this moment the price will fall back to the mean, and an attempt to sell 5.1 BTC worth of HYP can fill all orders down the floor and even more. It will show up like pump & dump. It's very attractive for traders, but not so appreciated by investors. We need to find an equilibrium to satisfy both.
Cor2:
What I see at this moment is that even an order of 0.5 BTC causes a major price move (on Allcoin) although Polo has a bit more traffic but won't be able to sustain multiple-BTC orders without large price swings either.
What I feel is that such a bank should be similar to a savings account - you can deposit and start earning but not pull out unlimited at any time, so the bank has time to prepare for your withdrawal and does not need to emergency-sell positions.
Alternative would be that the bank is not transferring every incoming BTC to HYP and back, but there is a buffer, an investor group if you will
that has holds the HYP and gets funded from the BTC in the bank but they buffer the BTC, so the amount of HYP stays the same even though the amount of BTC fluctuates.
It would even be viable to keep half the BTC untouched as buffer while the other half gets converted to HYP as the market can absorb the changes, so that immediately withdrawal of BTC is possible up to half the total balance at any point, any more and the HYP first needs to get whittled down without crashing the market. Likewise with investment in BTC: the amount of HYP can slowly grow to half the amount of the extra BTC deposited. That means of the 18% staking rewards, virtually half is used, the other half is sitting unused in BTC buffer. But it could be an attractive bank anyway.
I am occasionally borrowing some BTC to an investor that makes 10% but can't buy BTC fast enough, so he gives me 5% to borrow my BTC for up to a week. That is a very attractive deal and very similar to this banking idea.
I readily recognize I did not understand everything here. Being a leader means recognizing when you need help from someone else, so I contacted Cor2, who is willing to help in setting this up. He and presstab understand better these aspects of finance than I do, so I will mainly be the “cheerleader” here (look for the mention of Larry Wall earlier in the HDJ for the side effect of this).

HyperLoan
This is cycoinminer’s idea, before HyperBank was even considered and I felt it would fit nicely in HyperBank.
Quote from: cycoinminer
The HyperLoan Experiment

Here a HyperStake, we’re looking to build community participation amongst our followers, so we’ve put together an opportunity for people to take part in what we’re calling the HyperLoan Experiment.

We’re offering to Loan one member of the community, 10,000 HYP, for the duration of 1 staking period (approximately 10-14 days)

Once the HYP has staked, we ask that you return the initial 10,000 HYP to us – YOU keep the interest!
What’s the catch? Well, to be eligible, there are a few things you’ll need to do for us.

We’d like you to at least do 2 or more of the following:

1.   Like the HyperStake Facebook page, and share it with your friends
https://www.facebook.com/hyperstake
2.   Come up with 5 HYP slogans, and periodically write them on Poloniex TrollBox
for example: “HYP – it’s hotter than my girlfriend”.....
3.   Help re-tweet the Twitter page https://twitter.com/HyperStake
4.   Actively visit and contribute to the IRC page - http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=##hyperstake

We’ll also have specific promotions we’d like you, the community, to help us with over the coming weeks.
The HyperLoan Experiment is based totally on TRUST between followers. We’re well aware that one rogue member could walk away with the 10k HYP and never be seen again, but we’re hoping that won’t happen. To that extent, we’ll also have a “Wall of Fame” on the ANN showing which members have successfully taken part in the HyperLoan Experiment!

We have a couple of criteria that you MUST have met in order to be eligible:
1.   Your Bitcointalk activity must be 50 or higher
2.   You must have positively posted on the HyperStake ANN on, or before 15th September.

Each time we have the 10,000 HYP available for loaning, we will take the top 5 followers who we believe, in our opinion have been actively promoting Hyperstake the most, and from these 5, we will randomly pick someone to loan the HYP to.

In order to comply with Bitcointalk rules, anyone who posts their HYP address on the thread will automatically be excluded for consideration for the HyperLoan. In fact, we don’t need anyone’s address until we’ve chosen the initial receiver of the loan – so if you’re chosen, we’ll ask you for your HYP address.

To have yourself considered for the HyperLoan, send a private message to my username, Cycoinminer, along with examples of your promotions, and between myself and Presstab / David Latapie, we’ll judge who’s helped promote Hyperstake the most during the time period.

We will give out our first HyperLoan on Wednesday 1st October.

Be our first participant – get promoting HyperStake NOW!
With an additional Wall of Shame for rogue members.

Hypiggy
Hypiggy, the child/educational version of HyperStake
Hypiggy is really “Piggycoin, HyperStake edition”, thanks to a themable wallet and hopefully a simpler interface. At the time of writing, this is particularly speculative, because I have no idea if it is possible to hide certain features and to automate coin control. Even if it is not possible to automate it, it is not much of an issue: staking performance will be lower than the full experience, that’s all. Performance is not the goal of Hypiggy; education and adoption is.

Hyppi the tardi
The blue cartonnish mascotte
Crazyloaf was the first to propose a tardigrade. The water bear is a tiny animal which is both cute (looks like puffy baby/walking duvet), alien-looking and incredibly resilient when in cryptobiosis mode. Cuteness matters for a mascot, alien-looking definitely qualify for SF-themed HyperStake and one can say that HyperStake price is incredibly resilient!
Now imagine it in blue (like the 5th Element’s Diva).

As you can see, we are continuing to innovate with HyperStake but now with a focus on preparing a possibly more challenging future.
Commander DavidLatapie, over!

rfcdejong

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 10:27:07 PM

Nice Cartonnish mascotte Smiley

PS: I know Cor2 from the SYNC thread, lets hope the Hyperbank turns into something good
David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 10:46:58 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2014, 11:20:07 PM by David Latapie

Nice Cartonnish mascotte Smiley

PS: I know Cor2 from the SYNC thread, lets hope the Hyperbank turns into something good
This picture is not actually a cartoon. This is a real tardigrade under the microscope. A cartoon version would (blue or not) would be a nice exercise.

I don't know how I must understand this, since I don't know how SYNC performs or is handled.

Update: some cartoonish tardigrade in the middle of this video Tardigrades: Adorable Extremophiles. Now imagine them in blue.

mafort1469

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 11:42:10 PM

Very good post David. As is Hyperstake an experiment we can approach the HYPbank as one too. Perform a limited test run to see if even possible on a small scale and go from there.
HYPster

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 01:42:28 AM

Hey can you please quit posting pictures of my mother? Thank you.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 01:50:23 AM

Re the Barrier to Entry issue (potential large commitment needed to have a chance at staking) - would this be useful, perhaps in addition to other approaches? Tweak the algo to randomly allow staking at any/all levels, adjusting probability as desired, so that, for example, there is a tiny but finite chance of staking with a hoard of 1 HYP up to a close-to-certain chance of staking with a hoard of n (1500?) HYP or above.

Forgive me if this is an old idea - I didn't see it in my reading, but I'm new to HYP and may not be properly up to speed.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: