Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:58:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only girl on here? : (  (Read 147185 times)
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 07:22:59 PM

It would be pretty sexist to think women just like cute fluffy pink things... s/he must be a woman because they would think things are cute, right? I have more respect for women than to think they would come on a bitcoin forum and do such a thing

The initial post, quoted below, after which you decided to respond with a "SCAM ALERT", did none of these things...

Hii!
Just wondering if there are any fellow girls on here who are into Bitcoin mining, trading, etc. It seems it's mainly guys. We are roughly 50% of the population of this planet yet I can't find any girls who are into Bitcoins, anywhere.

Everytime I try to mention Bitcoins while hanging out with girlfriends they always look confused and change the subject, yet they're not "dumb girls", they've been to Uni, spend a lot of time online, have paypal acc's, online banking, etc. Why are they so reluctant to hear about Bitcoins?

whereas this is unfortunately the type of behavior men will attempt when they're trying to sucker in white knights into dropping their guard, so a warning is relevant.

I've already conceded that such behavior could indeed be relevant, but it's far from sufficient to start throwing around accusations, or even just warnings.

Maybe this user is a woman, no way to tell, but gender shouldn't even matter, but when you come along to a forum and the first thing you go on about is you being a female it sets alarm bells off because why is it relevant? It isn't.

I strenuously disagree. The fact that there are disproportionately few women interested in Bitcoin absolutely should be topic of conversation, as should the fact that so many women who do choose to participate in the forums choose to hide their sex. I don't claim to have a solution, but having such an unwelcoming post in the Beginners & Help section certainly doesn't help.

Ultimately, I think we all need to decide what kind of community we'd prefer to continue building: one based on Assume good faith or one based on Fear, uncertainty and doubt. We should all have a healthy amount of fear (but let's call it skepticism), but there's such a thing as too much.

In short, I think your initial post crossed a line, and does more harm than good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
llanillo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:24:18 PM

There should be more girls around here... but anyways welcome

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
fabiola! (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:37:30 PM

This is the internet; there are sexist and racist and generally ignorant commentators everywhere,

Pot... meet kettle....

Take a look at these two recent threads, this one by user Supraman, and this one by user grumpyoldtroll (whose first word in his post is "Guys,"). Both are newbies, both are asking questions that have been asked a hundred times before that could easily have been answered by a web search, both are guys. They both got warm welcomes and/or informative responses.

Now take a look at this thread, with someone asking a question that hasn't been asked a hundred times before, but a girl, and the first couple of responses (hilariousandco and serje) were anything but warm, in fact I'd call them downright disgraceful.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody on this forum could be a scammer, and I'd never do business with anyone until being convinced otherwise. But it's completely inappropriate to throw up a red flag unless you have real concerns or evidence, and not just "but she's a girl! and lots of guys lie and scam pretending to be girls!" Even though I fully concede that statistics might support the latter, it's nonetheless perpetuating a sexist stereotype.

There are no personal attacks intended here... it just saddens me when people who are clearly a significant benefit to the Bitcoin community come forward with posts such as those above.

[/rant]

fabiola!, welcome to the forums.

Thanks so much btchris for sticking up for me! Finally someone nice on here! <3
Also, I think it was very smart of you to point out that anyone on this forum could be a scammer and not to make assumptions before evidence.
Thanks again!!!!! x

fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:45:56 PM

There should be more girls around here... but anyways welcome

I agree, thanks llanillo! Smiley
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 08:36:49 PM

You probably should post in this thread and lock this one, as this topic has been broached before:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=261598.0

There are legit girls here in BCT and involved in Crypto land.  It's the dudes posing as chicks trying to get some BTC that ruin it for the ones with real lady parts.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
KK99

Activity: 149

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:27:01 PM

You are likely not the only girl on this forum, however if you present yourself as a women/girl when you are attempting to complete any kind of trade you will likely be labeled as a scammer.

I would suggest that you use gender neutral references to yourself if you decide to try to trade anything on these forums.
Soccruo

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:32:19 PM

Probably there is a woman every 100 men in this forum...

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:52:45 PM

This is ridiculous.
You don't like dudes lying posing as chicks, yet you are asking me (a chick) to lie and start posing as a dude to avoid being called a lying scammer. WHAT?

Zebra

Activity: 612
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 12:37:35 AM

My scammer alert alarm is sounding. Yeah, there are a few girls involved in bitcoin, but sadly most of the ones on here who go out of their way to tell everyone about their female gender are unfortunately just gearing up to try scam people.

It doesn't make sense to me.
No matter the person is a male or female, American or European or Asian or African, you should be equally cautious for the trades.
You shouldn't trust the person more just because it is a "she", and you shouldn't consider the person less trustworthy simply because it is a "she".

chanz

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 12:55:18 AM

You are not the only one around, all just don't come out like that. Enjoy your stay gender don't matter imo.

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:23:27 AM

SexyBTC is girl too.

Don't know if she still is around.
Zebra

Activity: 612
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:44:24 AM

SexyBTC is girl too.

Guess not.
She wasn't as active after being accused of scamming and last logged in on August 24.

fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:26:00 PM

SexyBTC is girl too.

Guess not.
She wasn't as active after being accused of scamming and last logged in on August 24.

Well to be fair, a username like SEXYbtc is a bit suggestive I.e. suspicious. But any girls who are using their own names (like myself) -and show an interest in how bitcoin works not just how to get them sent to them for free- should be treated as equals on here, pretty please? X
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:33:01 PM

My scammer alert alarm is sounding. Yeah, there are a few girls involved in bitcoin, but sadly most of the ones on here who go out of their way to tell everyone about their female gender are unfortunately just gearing up to try scam people.

It doesn't make sense to me.
No matter the person is a male or female, American or European or Asian or African, you should be equally cautious for the trades.
You shouldn't trust the person more just because it is a "she", and you shouldn't consider the person less trustworthy simply because it is a "she".

Exactly. I think it's great how everyone in the btc community is keen to help each other out with trades, loans, etc, but why treat girls like a threat? We don't have special hypnotic powers to get guys to send btc. So don't worry. Plus I would think everyone on here is smart and has common sense to be cautious whether its a girl or a guy? So can we pls all get along and be friends now? : ) xxx
datehunter

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:43:33 PM

Girls doesn't exist in the internet, you are certainly a fake. Cheesy
iluvu143

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:50:09 PM

Fair enough, I get it, I'm reading the "I'm in love" thread right now.

Ps. Who the hell is King Vod and how do I get him to verify me as legit?

You can click a pic of yourself with your username and some message on a piece of paper. You may or may not reveal your entire face but show off something so that it looks legit and members can trust you. This is just a suggestion.

And yeah my friends (boys cause I am a male) also listen to the whole BTC thing and act as if they understand everything but at the end it always turns out that they didn't even listen to even 1/4th of the lecture.  Wink Wink Wink Wink
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:54:03 PM

You can click a pic of yourself with your username and some message on a piece of paper. You may or may not reveal your entire face but show off something so that it looks legit and members can trust you. This is just a suggestion.

And yeah my friends (boys cause I am a male) also listen to the whole BTC thing and act as if they understand everything but at the end it always turns out that they didn't even listen to even 1/4th of the lecture.  Wink Wink Wink Wink

I'm not gonna take advice from a newbie who joined 10 seconds ago and has 1 post. If a senior member asks me for a pic, I may do it, however, if those are the rules, I want every guy on here to take a pic to prove who they are as well, fair is fair.
Daanie

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:54:48 PM

And yeah my friends (boys cause I am a male) also listen to the whole BTC thing and act as if they understand everything but at the end it always turns out that they didn't even listen to even 1/4th of the lecture.  Wink Wink Wink Wink

Lol, dirty harry. There's no need for her to do that.

Neotox
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

Free & Fast Neotox Escrow http://bit.ly/1OGVykp

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 01:57:26 PM

i m not agree that there are no girls in bitcoin community
but they don't like talk about gender, they are busy talking about bitcoin

Available
PM me to rent this space.
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 02:00:57 PM

i m not agree that there are no girls in bitcoin community
but they don't like talk about gender, they are busy talking about bitcoin

I've been busy talking (and mainly reading) about btc on here and it's a great forum.
However, I need to defend myself if someone accuses me of being a scammer out of the blue just cause I'm a girl.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: