Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:33:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466757 times)
metalron

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:55:56 AM

Nice to know this coin never died, i did however purchase them quite high back then between 1200-4k sat, lucikly most on the lower end :/
Hope that 20 usd target is achieved sometime in the near future Cheesy

POS makes more sense since all my SLR are doing right now is sitting in a usb somewhere

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
quantium

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 11:32:05 AM

I am not sure from this what has to be done to update the wallet.

Presumably
Back up the old wallet.dat
run the new installation from the download

Will it install over the old one? What happens to the address?

then what?

I don't want to do that and find that I have lost my coins or access to them.

In addition, has anyone any suggestions of what Scrypt coins to mine after that. Solarcoin had a sensible purpose. Are there any other coins with a purpose?
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 11:46:19 AM

I am not sure from this what has to be done to update the wallet.

Presumably
Back up the old wallet.dat
run the new installation from the download

Will it install over the old one? What happens to the address?

then what?

I don't want to do that and find that I have lost my coins or access to them.

In addition, has anyone any suggestions of what Scrypt coins to mine after that. Solarcoin had a sensible purpose. Are there any other coins with a purpose?

Make multiple copies of the wallet.dat file. All of your addresses are stored in that file. The blockchain data can be erased completely and downloaded again and it won't affect your wallet file. Though again it's always a good idea to have multiple copies on several drives with the wallet encrypted.

vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 12:44:20 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2014, 03:03:28 PM by vipgelsi

My coins are in cold storage should i download the new wallet and add the coins or should i just wait till pos wallet to add my coins. I'm thinking just wait it out a month. I am really only interested in the 1% interest and not selling.
passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:00:53 AM

geez look at that BTC market. I really wish I had more money to buy BTC to use to buy SLR. Now's the time!
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:03:00 AM

geez look at that BTC market. I really wish I had more money to buy BTC to use to buy SLR. Now's the time!

Yup buy when there is blood on the streets.
IMJim
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:04:15 AM

With POS coming and most SLR holders holding for the long term, isn't it a concern that SLR will be kicked off of exchanges for low volume?  I know the volume is really good now, but won't this come to a screeching halt here shortly?
IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:05:31 AM

Yup buy when there is blood on the streets.

Yeah but ya might be better to just invest straight into SLR.  BTC may double soon, but SLR may do much more than that!
freebird

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:14:13 AM

My coins are in cold storage should i download the new wallet and add the coins or should i just wait till pos wallet to add my coins. I'm thinking just wait it out a month. I am really only interested in the 1% interest and not selling.

I have a lot of coins in cold storage and I'm just gonna leave them there until PoS.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:17:03 AM

I'm surprised BTC went down recently. With the announcement that PayPal will start accepting BTC, I thought it would go up. Weird. At least the good thing is, SLR is going up so we're not losing any value relative to fiat. If I had extra fiat on hand, I'd be scooping up BTC at sub-$400 prices and converting it into solid altcoins like SLR.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:22:47 AM

With POS coming and most SLR holders holding for the long term, isn't it a concern that SLR will be kicked off of exchanges for low volume?  I know the volume is really good now, but won't this come to a screeching halt here shortly?

Hard to say. My hope is that enough "traders" will discover SLR while we're in the rapid rising phase that's likely to unfold over the next month, so that our average volume will remain significantly higher from short-term trading interest even after the switch to PoS. There are plenty of PoS coins that have good volume. It mostly seems to depend on whether the altcoin trading community has discovered and enjoys trading a particular coin or not. For a long long time, short-term traders almost completely ignored SLR and most of the volume was basically miners dumping into the bids of long-term investors. Obviously that dynamic is going to change, but it could either change by becoming a very low volume coin or by becoming more of a "traded" coin. We need to be hoping for the latter, because low volume is unhealthy.

drizzle2405
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 01:48:51 AM

I'm surprised BTC went down recently. With the announcement that PayPal will start accepting BTC, I thought it would go up. Weird. At least the good thing is, SLR is going up so we're not losing any value relative to fiat. If I had extra fiat on hand, I'd be scooping up BTC at sub-$400 prices and converting it into solid altcoins like SLR.

They are linking the recent BTC crash to the Alibaba IPO.  If you look at the volume sold on Chinese exchanges, the amount of bitcoins doubled...  It makes sense.  From what I've read, once the profits are filled come spring in the Alibaba IPO, it will most likely be dumped and BTC will be the target again.  Of course that is just an opinion.  My gut tells me history will repeat and we'll see a spike in BTC again this winter...

Buy when there's blood.  Right now BTC price is a blood bath...  However I wouldn't quite recommend buying it yet, cuz it looks like we're heading for the maximum pain level and no idea where that is, but it won't be pretty.  If it breaks below $300...  Panic at the disco.

IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:19:28 AM

Hard to say. My hope is that enough "traders" will discover SLR while we're in the rapid rising phase that's likely to unfold over the next month, so that our average volume will remain significantly higher from short-term trading interest even after the switch to PoS. There are plenty of PoS coins that have good volume. It mostly seems to depend on whether the altcoin trading community has discovered and enjoys trading a particular coin or not. For a long long time, short-term traders almost completely ignored SLR and most of the volume was basically miners dumping into the bids of long-term investors. Obviously that dynamic is going to change, but it could either change by becoming a very low volume coin or by becoming more of a "traded" coin. We need to be hoping for the latter, because low volume is unhealthy.

Appreciate the response bud!  It will be an interesting thing to watch for sure, more than most I think as SLR seems to have WAY more in regards to long term holders.
freebird

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:25:00 AM

They are linking the recent BTC crash to the Alibaba IPO.  If you look at the volume sold on Chinese exchanges, the amount of bitcoins doubled...  It makes sense.

[snip]

Yup, makes sense.

Buy when there's blood.  Right now BTC price is a blood bath...  However I wouldn't quite recommend buying it yet, cuz it looks like we're heading for the maximum pain level and no idea where that is, but it won't be pretty.  If it breaks below $300...  Panic at the disco.

I doubt it will go below $300. However, there's something to be said for the idea that Bitcoin could just stagnate or gradually keep going down over time, while the best altcoins steadily move up and gain market share. I am unconvinced that BTC is going to remain the leading cryptocurrency for more than another year or two. It has a lot of flaws -- it's like a beta test version for the concept of crypto in general, but some newer ones have dramatically improved upon it -- and really it's mostly the first-mover advantage that's keeping it at the top. That's a powerful advantage, but once a lot of businesses start accepting BTC payments, it will be very easy for them to accept other cryptos too (the rise of multi-coin platforms, etc.). BTC might just gradually decline to become one of a handful of major digital currencies.

freebird

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:34:55 AM

With POS coming and most SLR holders holding for the long term, isn't it a concern that SLR will be kicked off of exchanges for low volume?  I know the volume is really good now, but won't this come to a screeching halt here shortly?

Appreciate the response bud!  It will be an interesting thing to watch for sure, more than most I think as SLR seems to have WAY more in regards to long term holders.

Yeah, I would guess at least 15m SLR (half the circulation) is locked up in the hands of long-term holders. Another 5-10m or so was bought at extremely low prices (200-400 satoshis) and I'm guessing some of that will be cashed out by profit-takers over the next month or two as we move up on strong volume. Consider that just in the past week we've had a couple million SLR in turnover on the market at prices ranging from 800 to 1900. Some of this is obviously profit-taking. Eventually the profit-takers will be done taking their profits and the price will move up to much higher levels. The remaining 5-10m coins in circulation is a huge question mark -- could be long-term holders or could be people who will sell once a SLR is worth several cents. Probably some mix of both. And probably the average long-term holder will cash out 10% or so of their position at some price level where they will feel tempted to take some profits off the table (2 cents, 5 cents, 10 cents? who knows. will be different for each person).

So, the upshot of all this is, I think there will be enough liquidity in the market as the price keeps moving up. But you're right, SLR is an unusual coin in that it probably has way more long-term holders than almost all other coins out there. This is good for everyone, as it likely means there won't be a lot of huge dumping once we clear out some of the people who bought at ridiculously low prices and are happy to take their 5-10x gains and leave.

Tachyon2032

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:07:47 AM

I doubt it will go below $300. However, there's something to be said for the idea that Bitcoin could just stagnate or gradually keep going down over time, while the best altcoins steadily move up and gain market share. I am unconvinced that BTC is going to remain the leading cryptocurrency for more than another year or two. It has a lot of flaws -- it's like a beta test version for the concept of crypto in general, but some newer ones have dramatically improved upon it -- and really it's mostly the first-mover advantage that's keeping it at the top. That's a powerful advantage, but once a lot of businesses start accepting BTC payments, it will be very easy for them to accept other cryptos too (the rise of multi-coin platforms, etc.). BTC might just gradually decline to become one of a handful of major digital currencies.

I have to agree with Bitcoin's first-to-market being a huge advantage, but as far as it falling second to another cryptocurrency: it's going to be tough to overcome their current $5.4 billion market cap.  Even if it drops to $200, it would still be over $2bn and far ahead of the number 2 coin (currently Litecoin with $145 million market cap).  I am basing these figures off of http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/views/all/.

BTW, Solarcoin has jumped 18 spots in the last week or so on this list.

On a side note, has anyone requested Solarcoin to be added to Bitcoinwisdom?  Their charts are so much more professional and useful than the exchange charts.

BTC: 14nAytauuGTsnWbGxDuropawgpgGyV8gGW | SLR §: 8X3PKaV8dpm6Rnw3PDteEoyN2pzv2oHy5S
quantium

Activity: 19

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:55:52 AM

The new version seems really slow "re-indexing blocks on disk". Is is possible to do this in stages, ie will it carry on where left off if the computer is switched off overnight?
LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:44:53 AM

With POS coming and most SLR holders holding for the long term, isn't it a concern that SLR will be kicked off of exchanges for low volume?  I know the volume is really good now, but won't this come to a screeching halt here shortly?

Appreciate the response bud!  It will be an interesting thing to watch for sure, more than most I think as SLR seems to have WAY more in regards to long term holders.

Yeah, I would guess at least 15m SLR (half the circulation) is locked up in the hands of long-term holders. Another 5-10m or so was bought at extremely low prices (200-400 satoshis) and I'm guessing some of that will be cashed out by profit-takers over the next month or two as we move up on strong volume. Consider that just in the past week we've had a couple million SLR in turnover on the market at prices ranging from 800 to 1900. Some of this is obviously profit-taking. Eventually the profit-takers will be done taking their profits and the price will move up to much higher levels. The remaining 5-10m coins in circulation is a huge question mark -- could be long-term holders or could be people who will sell once a SLR is worth several cents. Probably some mix of both. And probably the average long-term holder will cash out 10% or so of their position at some price level where they will feel tempted to take some profits off the table (2 cents, 5 cents, 10 cents? who knows. will be different for each person).

So, the upshot of all this is, I think there will be enough liquidity in the market as the price keeps moving up. But you're right, SLR is an unusual coin in that it probably has way more long-term holders than almost all other coins out there. This is good for everyone, as it likely means there won't be a lot of huge dumping once we clear out some of the people who bought at ridiculously low prices and are happy to take their 5-10x gains and leave.

Once the Solarcoin Foundation incorporates, publicly secures the grant solarcoins, and begins to grow as an organization (receiving grants and outreach), investors will flock to the coin. I think with every step down that road, and the awareness that will come, the demand could surpass the available supply and raise the value of solarcoin!

Grin

vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:06:19 PM

Block 310,000 getting closer.  Grin
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:19:43 PM

Remember all those stolen Bitcoins from MtGox?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: