Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:16:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466748 times)
drizzle2405
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 02:34:25 PM

SLR went up 300% in just a week!!!  Volume is still light though, as I believe people are holding and will continue to hold.

Looks like daytraders are setting the bar high for asks, not like they have a choice because the market isn't as liquid as it was weeks ago, since a lot of people are holding, so in order to make a buck, they'll have to set the low volume at higher prices...

Looking good folks...  PoS around the corner!  This is going to be a fantastic ride!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
quantium

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:52:54 PM

SLR went up 300% in just a week!!!  Volume is still light though, as I believe people are holding and will continue to hold.

Looks like daytraders are setting the bar high for asks, not like they have a choice because the market isn't as liquid as it was weeks ago, since a lot of people are holding, so in order to make a buck, they'll have to set the low volume at higher prices...

Looking good folks...  PoS around the corner!  This is going to be a fantastic ride!!!

Yes, but priced against Bitcoin one has to take into account that BTC has gone down by about $75 over the lifetime of SLR, and the current quotation in $ for SLR is roughly the same as it was when it was announced. IE, SLR has gone down a long way and just recovered.

The thing that worries me is that once mining stops, the only activity using SLR will be the FITs being paid to generators. There doesn't seem to be any other activity, such as buying and selling of PV equipment, for example.

But we will see. Maybe it will go up up and away to $20. However I'd hate to see anyone buying into it with money they could ill afford to lose, though. It would not be good for renewables if it turned out to be like National Lotteries, a "gullibility tax".
Epiphany

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 04:01:58 PM

Yes, but priced against Bitcoin one has to take into account that BTC has gone down by about $75 over the lifetime of SLR, and the current quotation in $ for SLR is roughly the same as it was when it was announced. IE, SLR has gone down a long way and just recovered.

The thing that worries me is that once mining stops, the only activity using SLR will be the FITs being paid to generators. There doesn't seem to be any other activity, such as buying and selling of PV equipment, for example.

But we will see. Maybe it will go up up and away to $20. However I'd hate to see anyone buying into it with money they could ill afford to lose, though. It would not be good for renewables if it turned out to be like National Lotteries, a "gullibility tax".

I applaud your sense of caution and I agree completely when viewing this through the lens of "investment" participation in SolarCoin only i.e. Someone buys low, looking to sell high, make a return on their fiat, cash out, move on, leave the growth and adoption of the "product" to others. There is nothing wrong with that approach as long as the investor fully comprehends the risk.

What excites me most is that, to your other point concerning future uses/applications/structure/contracts/technology, any one of us here can take on projects that serve to fulfill the mission that also contributes to the overall value. SolarCoin is ours. We as individuals contribute how we see fit and that benefits the whole. I know that is a bit of a foreign concept when compared to the current state of capitalism which rewards competition over cooperation but for me, I love the fact that I don't need "permission" from anyone to grow the community of holders in whatever manner excites me most Smiley. If you say to yourself, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if SolarCoin did *insert great idea here*?" Well, what's stopping that individual from turning their great idea into reality on their own? Fear? Confidence? Lack of information? Something else?

I say flip the switch, make it happen. Don't let life pass you by while you're waiting for everyone else to pay attention to your great idea. Nike had it right with their slogan "Just do it!" And I don't say this lightly, I've spent the better part of my life avoiding risk because I was too afraid of failing and worried about not living up to the expectations of everyone around me. It ain't fun... So I'm trying something different.  Cheesy

Early on I didn't mention this to anyone. Yes, I was excited about the idea and the vision Nick and Joe had for SolarCoin inspired me greatly but you couldn't pay me to mention it publicly, I didn't want people to think I was crazy, I didn't want to have to explain it to people who just "wouldn't get it", if it doesn't work out I'd look like an idiot, blah, blah, blah. Excuses, excuses. All that listening to that voice accomplishes is to ensure that the status quo remains intact. And since the status quo sucks, the only person with any power to change that is me.

OK... long rant there. But hey, I'm crazy. Deal with it!  Kiss

Bitcoin:     17tzgWkXMBazch4koAhokMTcCtbc4TaYkE
Ether:        0xfe700f4aeec47e52eafad00f81977bb89738e0ae
​SolarCoin: 8MDk963sEh7RCMo3y3st7hTzMs7FzSdWSx
Dogecoin: DEgdH6CFTLSEeVVPqfE18ySCQqDWmLxp33
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 04:21:38 PM

One more thing, further to the point of SolarCoin as an investment. This is in part driven by the CFA Charterholder in me. What I tell people who want to "invest" is that the risks are more akin to a gamble than an investment. If the expectation is that something goes from half a penny to $20, can you really define that as an investment in the classical sense??? No, not really. Smiley So I present it as such and I refuse to help someone unfamiliar with bitcoin from putting more than $100 into it. If they really want to risk more than that, then they'll have to do the homework themselves and figure out how to do it.

Just my 2 photons.

Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 04:36:10 PM

Damn, still not done! Grin It's important to note that the person generating solar power who claims their SolarCoin is facing essentially zero financial risk. All it costs them is a few minutes of their time to fill in the claim form... And they are the key to making this whole idea work the way it is intended to work over the coming years.

The biggest technological challenge we have right now is figuring out the best way to get those generator coins decentralized and autonomous. If I had more techy skills, I might have figured that one out by now...  Roll Eyes Hopefully someone who does have those skills gets tickled enough about this that they can help us to figure it out. I know it can be done. I also know it will be done. I just don't know who is going to do it or exactly when it will happen.

passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:41:42 PM

Current Difficulty    279.17397454
passionsurf

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:49:28 PM

I applaud your sense of caution and I agree completely when viewing this through the lens of "investment" participation in SolarCoin only i.e. Someone buys low, looking to sell high, make a return on their fiat, cash out, move on, leave the growth and adoption of the "product" to others. There is nothing wrong with that approach as long as the investor fully comprehends the risk.

What excites me most is that, to your other point concerning future uses/applications/structure/contracts/technology, any one of us here can take on projects that serve to fulfill the mission that also contributes to the overall value. SolarCoin is ours. We as individuals contribute how we see fit and that benefits the whole. I know that is a bit of a foreign concept when compared to the current state of capitalism which rewards competition over cooperation but for me, I love the fact that I don't need "permission" from anyone to grow the community of holders in whatever manner excites me most Smiley. If you say to yourself, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if SolarCoin did *insert great idea here*?" Well, what's stopping that individual from turning their great idea into reality on their own? Fear? Confidence? Lack of information? Something else?

I say flip the switch, make it happen. Don't let life pass you by while you're waiting for everyone else to pay attention to your great idea. Nike had it right with their slogan "Just do it!" And I don't say this lightly, I've spent the better part of my life avoiding risk because I was too afraid of failing and worried about not living up to the expectations of everyone around me. It ain't fun... So I'm trying something different.  Cheesy

Early on I didn't mention this to anyone. Yes, I was excited about the idea and the vision Nick and Joe had for SolarCoin inspired me greatly but you couldn't pay me to mention it publicly, I didn't want people to think I was crazy, I didn't want to have to explain it to people who just "wouldn't get it", if it doesn't work out I'd look like an idiot, blah, blah, blah. Excuses, excuses. All that listening to that voice accomplishes is to ensure that the status quo remains intact. And since the status quo sucks, the only person with any power to change that is me.

OK... long rant there. But hey, I'm crazy. Deal with it!  Kiss

Ah, the insecurities inherent in human existence provide such a wonderful twist to this game that we call "life."
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 04:55:27 PM

I see that... As much as I want to be all love and peace and harmony, there's a part of me that wants to wrap my hands around the throat of the miner who keeps pushing that difficulty up and then walking away  Roll Eyes. I'm sure they will take some pleasure at me admitting my frustration with their behaviour. But for the LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP!!!!!

drizzle2405
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 05:15:52 PM

I see that... As much as I want to be all love and peace and harmony, there's a part of me that wants to wrap my hands around the throat of the miner who keeps pushing that difficulty up and then walking away  Roll Eyes. I'm sure they will take some pleasure at me admitting my frustration with their behaviour. But for the LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP!!!!!

They're only prolonging the inevitable switch over to PoS...  This is end game now.  In about a month, it won't matter.  I got my coins early on...  Not a lot, but enough.  I should have pulled more buys on the exchanges when I had the time.  No sense crying over spilled milk now.  Anything above $5/SLR and I would be "living comfortably"...  haha.  Not rich, but good enough for me...  The average cost per solar megawatt in 2010 was roughly $130.  If 1 SLR reached actual cost of 1 MW...  Yes that would be insane...

Crypto Trader

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:35:07 PM

The buyers are coming in

Price just paid on Bittrex 0.00003466

I remember paying 0.00000588 only a couple of weeks ago, funny how things change.
passionsurf

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:40:29 PM

They're only prolonging the inevitable switch over to PoS...  This is end game now.  In about a month, it won't matter.  I got my coins early on...  Not a lot, but enough.  I should have pulled more buys on the exchanges when I had the time.  No sense crying over spilled milk now.  Anything above $5/SLR and I would be "living comfortably"...  haha.  Not rich, but good enough for me...  The average cost per solar megawatt in 2010 was roughly $130.  If 1 SLR reached actual cost of 1 MW...  Yes that would be insane...

Of course, in today's world, $1 million is not really considered "rich" anymore.
quantium

Activity: 19

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:45:22 PM

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/solarcoin/
has gone off line, but
http://crypto-prices.com/SLR
has recently reported 1.5 cents, down to 1.4 at the moment.
passionsurf

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:51:09 PM

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/solarcoin/
has gone off line, but
http://crypto-prices.com/SLR
has recently reported 1.5 cents, down to 1.4 at the moment.

The price finally made it back to the level it was at when SLR was first listed on Allcrypt. I was expecting it to take another month to get to this level. What a pleasant surprise!!
freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:38:51 PM

We're only about 250 blocks away from 310,000. At the average speed blocks have been found recently, it looks like we'll hit the magic number sometime tonight -- most likely between 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Eastern U.S. time (1 a.m. to 10 a.m. UTC). It's hard to pin down an exact time because block times have been fluctuating so much.

Everyone who mines SolarCoin, or who wants to rent some hash rate to help mine through the transition, please do so tonight. Set up your rigs to run throughout the expected time window or buy enough hash contracts to cover the entire period if possible. Hopefully things will go smoothly. Smiley

Both of our pools are ready to go with the new wallets and new code:
https://v2.cryptopoolmining.com/slr/
http://solarcoin.miningpoolhub.com/

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 09:00:04 PM

We're only about 250 blocks away from 310,000. At the average speed blocks have been found recently, it looks like we'll hit the magic number sometime tonight -- most likely between 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Eastern U.S. time (1 a.m. to 10 a.m. UTC). It's hard to pin down an exact time because block times have been fluctuating so much.

Everyone who mines SolarCoin, or who wants to rent some hash rate to help mine through the transition, please do so tonight. Set up your rigs to run throughout the expected time window or buy enough hash contracts to cover the entire period if possible. Hopefully things will go smoothly. Smiley

Great suggestion, I second that. I've had my bitcoin sitting at NiceHash for days now waiting. Hoping tonight is the night!!!  Grin

freebird

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:17:58 PM

Great suggestion, I second that. I've had my bitcoin sitting at NiceHash for days now waiting. Hoping tonight is the night!!!  Grin

Only 150 blocks away. Looks like we'll probably reach 310K in only 3-4 hours from now.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:12:12 PM

100 blocks to go.

Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 11:27:01 PM

Where is Don Cherry when you need him?  Huh

passionsurf

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:28:13 PM

70 blocks
exciting times Smiley
LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 12:48:20 AM

Block 310000  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: