Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:21:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox Collapsing (and taking bitcoin down with them?)  (Read 13545 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 01:08:54 AM

Just one question: Why would Bitcoin go down with MtGox?

I'm into Bitcoin for more than 1 year and besides opening an account in MtGox I never really used them for anything else... And I bet a lot more people are like me and don't use exchanges.
I don't think it would go down the mtgox. I think it would hurt it. Bitcoin, due to its decentralization, could not be taken down by that. It just might hurt popularity.

I think it's exactly the opposite: Bitcoin is being damaged by the existence of MtGox and the centralization on them.
I think if MtGox went down Bitcoin would have more to gain than to lose.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 01:20:32 AM

I think it's exactly the opposite: Bitcoin is being damaged by the existence of MtGox and the centralization on them.
+1
Alpha Exchange to the rescue! Restoring decentralization to trading.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
check_status

Activity: 196

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 02:06:49 AM

Just before 00:00 GMT there was a volume of 220,000 dropping BTC to $4.80. It's back to around $5 now but someone is certainly making a lot of moves.
How do you set the computer to make loud annoying buzzing alarm when the wiggle like that? I don't want to miss the action.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 02:45:42 AM

My main concern is that if MtGox collapses, the price of bitcoin will collapse with them.

People need to diversify and trade on other exchanges in addition to Mt. Gox.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
dustintrammell
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 02:49:11 AM

I share the OP's concerns.  All of my dwolla withdrawals have been nearly instantaneous in the past (I even posted on that thread that my last withdrawal had gone through quickly), but two recent withdrawals have taken 6 days (just received) and 3 days (so far) to get the funds in my dwolla account, respectively.

I'm going to take my business to Intersango until they get this figured out.  It makes me too nervous...

I have had the same experience, however as soon as I open a support ticket about the missing transfer they get my transfers resolved.

Dustin D. Trammell
dustintrammell
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 02:51:13 AM

I bet a lot more people are like me and don't use exchanges.

Or they're like me and use ALL the exchanges (:

Dustin D. Trammell
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:03:43 AM

Just one question: Why would Bitcoin go down with MtGox?

I'm into Bitcoin for more than 1 year and besides opening an account in MtGox I never really used them for anything else... And I bet a lot more people are like me and don't use exchanges.
I don't think it would go down the mtgox. I think it would hurt it. Bitcoin, due to its decentralization, could not be taken down by that. It just might hurt popularity.

I don't think centralization is actively hurting Bitcoin.  It could hurt Bitcoin significantly if something happens to Mt. Gox, but I don't see it as hurting Bitcoin NOW.
alatus

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 08:07:58 AM

Let's see what it brings...

https://www.facebook.com/MtGox/posts/294260660658348
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 10:54:25 AM

A Mt.Gox shutdown would undoubtedly hurt bitcoin's price.  Part of the valuation of bitcoin includes the availability of a large exchange for cashing in and out.

However, bitcoin wouldn't die if Mt.Gox went.  There are other exchanges, and once they took on the liquidity that Mt.Gox represents the price would recover (modulo reputational losses for bitcoin services generally).

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 07:19:21 PM

Just before 00:00 GMT there was a volume of 220,000 dropping BTC to $4.80. It's back to around $5 now but someone is certainly making a lot of moves.
How do you set the computer to make loud annoying buzzing alarm when the wiggle like that? I don't want to miss the action.

A few months ago, a user of this forum named Jesse had created a web app alarm that would sound a bull or bear sound upon crossing a price threshold.  I remember it being clever and useful; however, I don't know that it exists anymore...  I searched the board for a link, but to no avail.  Either I need more coffee or this forum's search sucks.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 07:39:41 PM

Funny enough, even if I wanted to sell my BTC to panic over this, I'm disinclined to do so, because if the concern is that MtGoxUSD aren't fully backed by USD, my BTC in the hand are more valuable than the MtGoxUSD I'd receive at MtGox.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
doldgigger

Activity: 170

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 11:21:23 PM

A Mt.Gox shutdown would undoubtedly hurt bitcoin's price.  Part of the valuation of bitcoin includes the availability of a large exchange for cashing in and out.

However, bitcoin wouldn't die if Mt.Gox went.  There are other exchanges, and once they took on the liquidity that Mt.Gox represents the price would recover (modulo reputational losses for bitcoin services generally).
MtGox did not build a large exchange. It became a large exchange because the users were to lazy to diversify. When it goes away, the users will move to other exchanges, making these larger. So this effect will only lead to small fluctuations, if at all.

You're right about the reputation thing, however. But on the long run, we will all be grateful when this happens. It's always dangerous when a single company can jeopardize the reputation of bitcoin as a whole through their own decisions. When people start to diversify, this effect will have a much lower impact in the future (if another exchange stumbles).

19orEcoqXQ5bzKbzbAnbQrCkQC5ahSh4P9
Feel free to PM me for consulting and development services.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 11:30:13 PM

A few months ago, a user of this forum named Jesse had created a web app alarm that would sound a bull or bear sound upon crossing a price threshold.  I remember it being clever and useful; however, I don't know that it exists anymore...  I searched the board for a link, but to no avail.  Either I need more coffee or this forum's search sucks.

I've been thinking about this all week!  That thing was hilarious (and useful).

If anybody has any info on what happened to this, I'd love to know.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 12:16:19 AM

Is this the app?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 12:33:35 AM

Is this the app?

Nice!!!
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 08:09:26 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2012, 10:42:11 AM by JoelKatz

MTGOX MUST ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS STRAIGHT.

DO YOU EVER ISSUE MORE MTGOX BTC REDEEMABLE CODE THAN YOU HAVE ACTUAL BITCOINS?

AND

DO YOU EVER ISSUE MORE MTGOX USD REDEEMABLE CODE THAN YOU HAVE ACTUAL USD?

I used to debate Libertarian nut cases who think that all fractional reserve banking is fraud. My usual response is to ask them if they really think there actually exists anyone who thinks that when you deposit money in a bank, they put your money in the safe so that you can withdraw it when you want to. I guess I'll have to find a new argument, because it now appears there is at least one such person.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Btc4Domains
VIP

Activity: 99
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 08:49:52 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 08:08:25 PM by Btc4Domains

People need to diversify and trade on other exchanges in addition to Mt. Gox.
There's often better prices on other exchanges too.
tarrant_01

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 11:06:38 AM

The problem is easily getting money to other exchanges. It's such a PITA and then all of the fees to do so.

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 04:43:12 PM

This post is for any n00b that sees any discouraging news about MTGOX and contemplates a negative reaction...

I've used MTGOX for over a year now. I've had one single problem and it was MY FAULT for not clearly identifying my account with a deposit. I've purchased thousands of dollars of Bitcoin through them and not a single problem. On the 4th, a friday, I wired some more dollars and by sunday evening, I was funded and able to trade. No delays at all.

Pro-Tips: Don't be shady, submit your identification information, and comply with all the banking requirements on your last trip out of the system (just hold your middle finger high to the banking system as you transfer your Bitcoins to your personal wallet).

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 04:58:12 PM

Why people continue to use Gox is a mystery to me.  Huh There are plenty of better exchanges.

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: