Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:43:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica stolen coin returns  (Read 13110 times)
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:37:45 AM

the police, checking the pawn shops, will collect the stolen property and not provide any compensation to the pawn shop.

Is that suppose to mean something to me? Is what the police does somehow indicative of what should be done or more so what I should do? News flash I don't give a rats ass what violent thugs in a blue costume do or think I should do.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:38:55 AM

but they are still States with legitimate authority.

if by legitimate you mean self asserted and enforced through the threat of violence, then you are right.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:41:44 AM

It's too late.  Luke wins the thread.  He is now your king and lawful ruler... amen.

Everyone BOW to the king or PERISH 4evahhh!  Grin

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:00:40 AM

I found this: http://wbl.github.com/bitcoinanon.pdf

I read it once, and my conclusion is: I'm too ignorant in cryptography.
I just can't understand what's in that paper. I'll search if it has been discussed here already. By discussed I mean explained in a language mere mortals may understand.

I opened this topic about this subject: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82947.0
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:54:30 AM

I don't consent to your "no murder" rule. Now what?
Btw we hired this excellent security firm that will use deadly force in case you try to hurt us to get any of the above stuff by using force.

How does that sound?

That's ok I just paid them more.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 01:56:19 PM

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT send any of these coins to anyone involved with bitcoinica before bitcoinica reveal their endgame strategy.

There is decent speculation that they are planning to make a "run on the bank", if that doesnt happen then it would be the right thing to send them the coins accumulated from the hacker funded wallet.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:40:34 PM

His reasoning is simple, he wants to be famous.

Bragging "hackers" (I use the quotes because he actually broke into an e-mail account) are the worse kind.

The good thing about it, is that they get caught first.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 07:25:58 PM

Thanks for the build, didnt get any stolen coins, but Ive been looking for a copy of 0.6.2 with coin control, without the security risks of running next-test 24/7.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 03:28:00 PM

Screw tracking coins!

I want bitcoin to be money. Without fungibility it is not money.

had to spew this somewhere, probably not the most appropriate thread. Can anyone point me to a fruitful discussion about this?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 03:30:34 PM

Anyone know what happened after the linode hack? Linode was clearly responsible, I wonder if they covered the damages and repaid to Bitcoinica.

Signature space available for rent.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 05:49:52 PM

Anyone know what happened after the linode hack? Linode was clearly responsible, I wonder if they covered the damages and repaid to Bitcoinica.

Off topic! Moderators do something!!

... meanwhile let me speculate with you: All hosting I know has regulation saying that you will not have to pay for days that their service is offline if that is above a certain percentage. None of them askes how much the service is worth running per hour and surely none of them cares if you put crypto tokens on it that can be stolen. Most likely if you want to off-load that risk, you would have to find an insurance and if I were an insurance I would certainly not insure bitcoins that lay outside of my influence. insure - steal -claim it wasn't you - profit.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 06:39:52 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2012, 10:19:59 PM by malevolent

Wasn't sure in which Bitcoinica topic to post.

... meanwhile let me speculate with you: All hosting I know has regulation saying that you will not have to pay for days that their service is offline if that is above a certain percentage. None of them askes how much the service is worth running per hour and surely none of them cares if you put crypto tokens on it that can be stolen. Most likely if you want to off-load that risk, you would have to find an insurance and if I were an insurance I would certainly not insure bitcoins that lay outside of my influence. insure - steal -claim it wasn't you - profit.

Just read their Terms of Service here: http://www.linode.com/tos.cfm
I wonder if they were different prior to the hack? If anyone has a copy we could see if there is still any hope apart from seeing if their current ToS is valid according to law.

Signature space available for rent.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:45:26 PM

It was an inside job - so that's different ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:13:10 AM

the development of an alt-coin (double blinding signing) which makes such registries more such lunacy more difficult to implement.

Are you suggesting it is possible to combine eCash blinded signature with a decentralized blockchain, somehow? In other words, a fully anonymous p2p currency??
Please, explain a little more if that's the case. Perhaps open a new topic about it...

Yeah, it would be like magic. I mean Bitcoin is like magic sort of, but no double spending and no trail just seems like fairy tales. Obv I'm very interested if someone can explain how this could be possible.

I found this: http://wbl.github.com/bitcoinanon.pdf

I read it once, and my conclusion is: I'm too ignorant in cryptography.
I just can't understand what's in that paper. I'll search if it has been discussed here already. By discussed I mean explained in a language mere mortals may understand.

Interesting, but it's not good enough.

That paper details a method whereby the sender of coins can easily defraud the recipient(s), and simply shrugs it off because the fraud would eventually be detected. Sad

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 12:21:38 AM

Nearly forgot about this one  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: