Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:36:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the life of a pirate.  (Read 31718 times)
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:21:31 PM

Given the track record of the exchanges, online wallets, Bitcoinica, etc, it seems an inevitability that where a lot of people deposit a lot of coin it will eventually fuck up. So far pirate has had less hitches than pretty much every "legit" Bitcoin service out there, which I find rather amusing given how much people like to acuse him of being the scammer.

I'd rather value a business that builds its own credibility than one that strives for an expedient route to legitimacy, or approval from a direction that isn't valid in the first place. Trust is only good if it isn't abused.

I do not think default would be a concern if one had already earn their investment back in interest payments.
Why not?

Plus, how can it compound if you keep your interest payments? Wink

• Deposit 2000BTC
  • Earn 2000BTC from interest
  • Withdraw 2000 of total 4000BTC

Your initial investment is doubled and returned, and everything from there on out with the remaining 2000BTC is pure pirate profit Smiley

In late 2010, one of my silver trades did very well. So well, in fact, that it gained almost 5,000% (yes, 50x initial capital). Regrettably, on that particular trade, I tripped myself up and lost most of it (still kicking myself - I really wanted that island). What I didn't lose was my initial investment, having pulled that out shortly after doubling. The rest was play money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:22:16 PM

STOP talking with yourselves. Tongue

One sec let me switch to my other identity to respond.

ok, is this better?

Or how about this?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:22:50 PM

ok, is this better?

Or how about this?
Me too?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 11:24:52 PM

ok, is this better?

Or how about this?

And you other bumb ditches think I make this shit up.

urmom.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 11:25:18 PM

If the pirate's view is to bring everyone along for the ride then that would include glbse dont you think ?

The pie gets bigger for everyone Smiley

Due to the Mann Act, he can't take Nefario across state lines.

I dunno. He might fit in a suitcase.

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:28:02 PM

The myth of selling BTC to fools locally is laughable. Nobody is stupid to pay more for BTC than market rate I would believe.

I've done just that, might only have been a few thousand dollars worth, but a 10-20% premium was still worth having.

Did you find a fool, or someone using the coins for illicit means?

For many people actually buying BTC is a huge pain in the ass. If you were only buying a couple hundred dollars worth of BTC it might be worth your time to just pay someone $40 extra to get you the BTC, especially if it also saves you a few bucks in exchange fees.

Actually, I don't think they were a fool, and I tried to get them to use an exchange, pay real prices and basically stop bugging me.  It was just easier for them to send me funds and for me to send them coins.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 11:30:27 PM

The myth of selling BTC to fools locally is laughable. Nobody is stupid to pay more for BTC than market rate I would believe.

I've done just that, might only have been a few thousand dollars worth, but a 10-20% premium was still worth having.

For many people actually buying BTC is a huge pain in the ass. If you were only buying a couple hundred dollars worth of BTC it might be worth your time to just pay someone $40 extra to get you the BTC, especially if it also saves you a few bucks in exchange fees.

Actually, I don't think they were a fool, and I tried to get them to use an exchange, pay real prices and basically stop bugging me.  It was just easier for them to send me funds and for me to send them coins.

Clearly you missed the part of this thread where we went off topic.  Catch up already!

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 11:32:09 PM

Clearly you missed the part of this thread where we went off topic.  Catch up already!

Shhhhh, me... That's all part of my plan to make the rest think my sock puppets are real people. blah blah

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:41:48 PM

blah blah blah

Clearly you missed the part of this thread where we went off topic.  Catch up already!

I was actually doing some day-job work stuff. 

(and some bitcoin business)
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:01:03 AM

When you sell trade Bitcoins do you always ask every buyer trader what they are going to use them for?

I don't like those words. Smiley

Pirate, here's a serious question. Even though you are not a corporation like BitInstant or MtGox, doesn't what you do still fall under AML laws? As far as I know, AML laws state that you are not allowed to facilitate the laundering of money. Strictly speaking, converting cash to bitcoins can be a form of money laundering since your clients are converting cash (possibly gained from illegal transactions) to clean bitcoins. As an individual and not a corporation, can you really just say that you are not aware of any illegal activity and that you are just trading bitcoins for profit?

JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:03:52 AM

When you sell trade Bitcoins do you always ask every buyer trader what they are going to use them for?

Pirate, here's a serious question. Even though you are not a corporation like BitInstant or MtGox, doesn't what you do still fall under AML laws? As far as I know, AML laws state that you are not allowed to facilitate the laundering of money. Strictly speaking, converting cash to bitcoins can be a form of money laundering since your clients are converting cash (possibly gained from illegal transactions) to clean bitcoins. As an individual and not a corporation, can you really just say that you are not aware of any illegal activity and that you are just trading bitcoins for profit?

BitInstant, as far as I know, doesn't exchange BTC for USD but USD for BTC. MTGOX does both. There is a difference and it's big.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:06:08 AM

BitInstant, as far as I know, doesn't exchange BTC for USD but USD for BTC. MTGOX does both. There is a difference and it's big.

Does BitInstant require you to show ID or can you stop by WalMart (?) with a ton of cash and anonymously convert them to bitcoins with a fee?

pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 12:07:10 AM

Good question, I deal with very few people unlike the others and everything from the ground up is covered by people paid to make sure of it.  Now, paying interest in USD would change that but right now it's not something I have to worry about since I don't.

rdponticelli

Activity: 325

Our highest capital is the Confidence we build.

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:08:19 AM

BitInstant doesn't exchange anything at all. They just move USD into the exchanges.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 12:09:02 AM

Does BitInstant require you to show ID or can you stop by WalMart (?) with a ton of cash and anonymously convert them to bitcoins with a fee?

http://www.mrbitcoins.com/  this one doesnt.

JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:10:58 AM

Does Wal-Mart require you to show ID when you buy tons of Game Credits on those cards?  That would be the question.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 05:54:07 AM

Good question, I deal with very few people unlike the others and everything from the ground up is covered by people paid to make sure of it.  Now, paying interest in USD would change that but right now it's not something I have to worry about since I don't.

Anyone who believes this guy is a complete idiot. End of Story.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:44:58 AM

Anyone who believes this guy is a complete idiot. End of Story.

I Sir, am a complete idiot! 
We knew that already.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 10:12:13 AM

some more crazy bullshit

I guess it's still good most of the forums has you on ignore...
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 10:57:18 AM

some more crazy bullshit

I guess it's still good most of the forums has you on ignore...
You are also either a scammer or an idiot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: