Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:01:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XCurrency (XC) BlockNet community thread  (Read 29181 times)
the_game1224

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:34:23 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 01:45:01 AM by the_game1224

I just got back from picking up dinner and was about to respond with Dan's October releases to the above post.  Then I noticed I was banned from the official XCurrecny thread.  Wow.  It's getting harder and harder to have an objective view when the XC team is becoming more and more unreasonable.

Lets be clear.  I've suggested that I'd like to discuss multiple issues with the team outside of a public forum both on irc and in the forums.  When this resulted in silence and a continuation of "issues" I started these discussions in public.  This resulted in multiple bans on my account.

I still have no plans to ban anyone here.  This thread is open for discussion.

Wow I did not think anything you did in the official thread called for a ban by any means.  Gotta agree with you regarding the team  Sad  
Having said that most of Dan's replies are good and acknowledge/address issues and concerns IMO
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:42:16 AM

It does work, and its not open source for several reasons, including the fact it is the most advanced mixer technology on the marketplace and would be cloned immediately...

Please dont call it the "most advanced mixer technology" when its closed source. If you want that title, open source it, have it scrutinized and present your case to the community.

Its claims like this that make investors run away.

+1

i think so too. and it really sucks to see the price falling like a stone.

maybe the blocknet idea wasn't the best idea at all? i think publishing this idea after REV3 was released would be much better as we lost 30% in just a few days.

even most of the coins that joined the blocknet train are nearly worthless

Coin  -  Marketcap - Price change last 7 days
APEX - $ 62,861       +225.72 %
SSD - $ 126,504       +15.98 %
SWIFT - $ 491,164    +13.32 %
XST   - $ 369,854      +1.69 %
NHZ  - $ 188,442      -13.81 %
UTIL   - $ 150,427     +31.07 %
FIBRE - $ 190,156     -11.86 %

XC     - $ 1,942,676   -28.71 %

Why were only coins added that are nearly worthless?
Why didn't you try to get at least one coin that has a market cap > 1M$?

And as it seems nearly all of them increased in price only XC lost dramatically.

I think a blocknet would make sense when coins that already have a high marketcap join forces to
build something big but this somehow feels like XC is used to bring more value to some useless coins.

First of all, you are a moron,

"Why were only coins added that are nearly worthless?" - Coins are not added, coins can apply to join.
"Why didn't you try to get at least one coin that has a market cap > 1M$?" - You angry cause your investment does not go up fast enough?
"And as it seems nearly all of them increased in price only XC lost dramatically." - what does that tells you?

"I think a blocknet would make sense when coins that already have a high marketcap join forces to
build something big but this somehow feels like XC is used to bring more value to some useless coins." - money money money and money again.

Full of morons...

Dont be so quick to shoot him down - I think he has made some valid points. By XC associating with other currencies which are "worthless" you can say that the market is reacting by bringing XC down to their level. If all coins are the "same" on blocknet, XC should be worth similar to what the other majority of coins are.

I would not be sucked into the marketing hype of "this will increase the user base exponentially".....what if it doesnt?? If I just wanted to use the service of a specific coin why would I not just buy that coin, why go through the need of having to go through the decentralized exchange, potentially get a crap exchange rate, lose money etc.

Also, what will happen to the value of XC when other coins fail or dev's go rogue in the blocknet? The failure rate of crypto coins is VERY high. Whats being done is XCs marketcap has been tied to these other coins so if something happens to them, you can expect a knock on effect...

I have to agree, which I why I believe that their should be a group of specially chosen coins, or even just XC that form the core base for Blocknet. I also propose different tiers, with XC being the 1st/core coin, and another 2 being on the 2nd tier, etc.

For Transparency reasons as I am sure that even though I am being respectful and trying to raise valid points, it will vanish into thin air.
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:44:27 AM

It does work, and its not open source for several reasons, including the fact it is the most advanced mixer technology on the marketplace and would be cloned immediately...

Please dont call it the "most advanced mixer technology" when its closed source. If you want that title, open source it, have it scrutinized and present your case to the community.

Its claims like this that make investors run away.

Here's a great example.  Maybe you have the most advanced mixer WHO the hell KNOWS?  And how do you think you can make that claim?
I'm sure this will be deleted in the main thread ... it's like saying "I have the hottest wife in the world but you can't see her"
Everybody thinks *yeah right*

Yes you can see it right here
http://imgur.com/h8rFt5U

atcsecure if this is your case that you present to show that XC has the "most advanced mixer" in the world instead of open sourcing and scrutinization...I would try and find another job.....no offence  Wink
URSAY (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:55:06 AM

infinitechaos

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:45:36 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 03:04:12 AM by infinitechaos

This is mostly in response to the list of concerns posted by URSAY.

XChat does have a stable release. I don't think it's fair to say that it flat out doesn't work simply because there are still bugs in the Mac and Linux releases and with group chat. I can only imagine the complications that would arise when trying to get this technology to work across all platforms.

Yeah, taunting the gov is probably unnecessary and I'm also glad to see that the team has taken that to heart and ceased using those hashtags.

Several of XC's features are indeed groundbreaking and available for use - the ad-hoc mesh network for one is pretty groundbreaking and it works.

If you bought Cache because XC announced plans to work with them back in May/June and have held it all this time, it's unfair to burden the XC team with that. They severed ties with Jasin and Cache because it made business/development sense. When making such decisions, the team shouldn't need to consider how the decision might impact the markets when the decision clearly makes business sense. If you bought on the rumor and held, you should take responsibility for it.

I'd really like it if more of the community and the team used XCtalk as well. I'd also prefer IRC over this troll-infested forum. But this is nowhere near reason enough for me to be upset with the team on any level.

Regarding the delayed open source timeline XC has, consider all sides. You have to recognize how detrimental it would be to the whole crypto scene and the development of the technology if the source were opened up entirely right now. Simultaneously, yes, one must also consider how detrimental it would be to lose source code for whatever reason. I think that what Dan has said, about the source code having already been distributed amongst a handful of trusted peers, is a decent compromise.

Yes, self-imposed deadlines that are missed are super fucking annoying. But, again, this is not nearly enough for me to throw in the towel here. This is coding and software development. Shit happens along the path of development. Unforeseen things come up last minute. As long as Dan demonstrates that he is continuing to work on the project (and he certainly damn well does with his constant updates), I can't complain.

If the XC thread looks like a Cloak thread (I've never been to the Cloak thread), might I assume it is because of an abundance of trolling? What can be done about this besides moderate the thread?

There is more than one dev working on the project. That has always been clear.

For the most part, I feel that XC has done a good job of only marketing announcements when they have something to show for it. The only two announcements I can think of that were maybe more like announcements of features-to-be were the QBK partnership on the distributed content delivery service and the TOR stick (the TOR stick .iso was delivered, but the announcement alluded to the physical TOR stick product which has yet to ship). The BlockNet announcement is an announcement of a feature-to-be, but that announcement was necessary to prepare the community for the ITO.

I know the drop in price is frustrating, but I really don't see what we have to discuss here as far as complaints with the path XC is taking.

▄▄█████████████▄▄       
     ▄███▀▀▀         ▀▀▀███▄     
   ▄███▀       ▄▄▄       ▀███▄   
  ███▀       ▄██▀██▄       ▀███ 
 ▐██▌        ██   ██        ▐██▌
 ███         ██▐█▌██         ███
▐██▌          ▀▐█▌▀          ▐██▌
▐██▌          ▄▐█▌▄          ▐██▌
  ███▄       ▀██▄██▀       ▄███ 
   ▀███▄       ▀▀▀       ▄███▀   
     ▀███▄▄           ▄▄███▀     
        ▀▀█████████████▀▀       
B I T N A T I O N
G O V E R N A N C E  2.0

Android app available now
▀█▄▄           
 ██▄▀███▄▄       
 ████▄▀████▀▄▄   
 ██████▄▀█▀█████
 █████▀▄███▄▀▀   
 ███▀▄██▀▀       
 █▀▄█▀▀         
INSTALL PANGEA
       IOS coming soon
Aristophanes

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:46:59 AM

Thank you for giving me a place to post about XC URSAY.

My advice to any potential XC investor: WAIT UNTIL THEY OPEN SOURCE THE ANON CODE.

You can blindly trust them, or you can wait til they deliver. So far, every anon coin that has claimed to have a 100% working anon has failed and has dumped horribly. This coin already has a pretty high cap, so you are taking a big risk. Buying this coin without insider knowledge is gambling, not investing/trading.

URSAY (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:35:54 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 04:38:42 AM by URSAY

This is mostly in response to the list of concerns posted by URSAY.

XChat does have a stable release. I don't think it's fair to say that it flat out doesn't work simply because there are still bugs in the Mac and Linux releases and with group chat. I can only imagine the complications that would arise when trying to get this technology to work across all platforms.

-Perhaps XChat has a stable release on Windows.  It was great to see Mac and Linux test releases come out finally, yet frustrating that it caused some confusion about buggy final releases.  If XChat was solid before the ITO then I would be less concerned.  It would show final delivery of a useful feature that the community wants.  Also, it would build trust in Dan as a developer and in participating with the ITO.  But yes, I know software development can be very complex and difficult.  Maybe this is more about managing investor and user expectations.  Software and tech people seem to be HORRIBLE at managing expectations.

Yeah, taunting the gov is probably unnecessary and I'm also glad to see that the team has taken that to heart and ceased using those hashtags.

-I think it's deeper then that.  I'm not a lawyer but I would think it's somewhat common sense to be wary about using so many SEC key words.  Shares, dividends, IPO, ITO, specific profit numbers, etc.  

Several of XC's features are indeed groundbreaking and available for use - the ad-hoc mesh network for one is pretty groundbreaking and it works.

-Again, perhaps on Windows you see this functionality.  Mac and linux is more delayed but it's great to see Dan putting out regular updates!  I've always hoped to see working XC tech on my personal computer!

If you bought Cache because XC announced plans to work with them back in May/June and have held it all this time, it's unfair to burden the XC team with that. They severed ties with Jasin and Cache because it made business/development sense. When making such decisions, the team shouldn't need to consider how the decision might impact the markets when the decision clearly makes business sense. If you bought on the rumor and held, you should take responsibility for it.

-At that time I don't think the code reviews were really clear.  When XC got involved with other coins there were many users that thought it was part of a bigger collaboration and wanted to take part.  I actually still hold cache.  QiBucks was another odd collab which I didn't take part in.  The team still claims that QiBucks will be part of an ad network but I did not invest.  Why?  I thought it was odd when the QiBucks team lead openly admitted that they did not understand the importance of encrypting a wallet.  QiBucks also had hopes to deliver profits to holders by investing in other alt coins.  Riiiiiiight.  Oddly enough they did really good for a while I believe.  Eventually these collabs were more defined as code reviews and the announcements were more hidden or delayed.  I'm not completely against code reviews but that's really another topic altogether and is kinda squashed already.

I'd really like it if more of the community and the team used XCtalk as well. I'd also prefer IRC over this troll-infested forum. But this is nowhere near reason enough for me to be upset with the team on any level.

-When was I upset?  I did not take part in the name calling and I don't think I was being unreasonable.  But other forum users and the team exchanged some exciting barbs.  It's looks bad when you ban peeps for name calling though and then call them names.

Regarding the delayed open source timeline XC has, consider all sides. You have to recognize how detrimental it would be to the whole crypto scene and the development of the technology if the source were opened up entirely right now. Simultaneously, yes, one must also consider how detrimental it would be to lose source code for whatever reason. I think that what Dan has said, about the source code having already been distributed amongst a handful of trusted peers, is a decent compromise.

-I agree with you.  This ONLY becomes a concern when we use govt. keywords, take political stances, ignore legal altogether, etc.

Yes, self-imposed deadlines that are missed are super fucking annoying. But, again, this is not nearly enough for me to throw in the towel here. This is coding and software development. Shit happens along the path of development. Unforeseen things come up last minute. As long as Dan demonstrates that he is continuing to work on the project (and he certainly damn well does with his constant updates), I can't complain.

-I never said I was throwing in the towel.  I wouldn't be so passionate about xc if I didn't care about it.

If the XC thread looks like a Cloak thread (I've never been to the Cloak thread), might I assume it is because of an abundance of trolling? What can be done about this besides moderate the thread?

-This refers more to the back and forth name calling, big announcements with graphics and all delivery in the future, anger and frustration shown by the xc team when they are asked reasonable questions, etc.  Cloak never delivered much but had a pretty cool POS wallet.   Wink

I know the drop in price is frustrating, but I really don't see what we have to discuss here as far as complaints with the path XC is taking.

-I was banned from the official xc thread so this is where I have discussions now.  Smiley [EDIT] I may of not been banned, just had several posts deleted
jibble

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:58:38 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 04:33:02 AM by jibble

My advice to any potential XC investor: WAIT UNTIL THEY OPEN SOURCE THE ANON CODE.

You can blindly trust them, or you can wait til they deliver. So far, every anon coin that has claimed to have a 100% working anon has failed and has dumped horribly. This coin already has a pretty high cap, so you are taking a big risk. Buying this coin without insider knowledge is gambling, not investing/trading.

Sound piece of investment advice.

This is a closed source project , They have decided that once everything is double and triple checked and tested it will be open source, By Rev 3

If you don't trust the Dev and want actual source code, then wait for it to be released then choose based off your own assessment of the code.

If you trust in the Dev then by all means invest, but it is a closed sourced project currently so there is risk of failure, But it is only really the same amount of risk as any other crypto currency is. Every single investment in the crypto sphere is a gamble. It's a technology that hasn't reached mass adoption that has the potential to reach mass adoption, everyone is buying into what they think will lead to the to the all famed and glorious mass adoption.

Investing and trading are gambling , sorry to say it but most people that attempt to trade / emotionally tie themselves to an investment and invest is making a gamble , yes insider information will help in the short term and when making short term gains but not give you an overall direction the coin will take in the long term . Yes Bot's will make you money , they are designed mathematically to take advantage of volatility, the greater the volatility of the coin the better profit you stand to gain.  But they also have the chance of going wrong. almost every investment decision you make here is a gamble.

Most of the posts deleted from the xc forum have been circular arguments, People have claimed its just a circle jerk of supporters, no it's a circle jerk of trolls

"why isn't it open source yet"
"this shud be open source"
"I'M ASKING A LEGITIMATE QUESTION"
"why closed source you must be doing something you don't want us to see, i think you plan to invade the USA with a hitler clone army"
"it's a closed source project!"
"I'M ASKING A LEGITIMATE QUESTION"
"it's a closed source project!!"
"it's a closed source project!!!"

It has been said that their goal is to open source by or on Rev 3 . No matter how many times it is brought up that is when they will make it open source. This doesn't just serve 1 purpose, it protects the code , and also protects investors currently, until the code is "bulletproofed" in case there is exploits that have not been seen or found yet that someone may take advantage of. there are many purposes for delaying release of source code that are beneficial to begin with

Edit: althou i do agree with the banning of URSAY as a little unfair , URSAY is a concerned investor , like all investors should be. (if he was banned)

Yes i agree the marketing is done rather badly, it's the over sell , Making it look huge and shinny with sexy bits everywhere. This is most likely due to people complaining about advertising not being sufficient , this has put the team in a catch 22 situation, until open source there is not much that can be advertised, but to keep forum members happy we must try our best at advertising.

To me it doesn't look like someone is trying to use big flashy words to distract from something nefarious, which in the world of crypto is the automatic assumption of everyone who has ever had a bad experience, "if we cannot see it, it has to be bad"

This to me simply looks like someone who has gone thru at least college maybe university and studying advertising , their using the "educated norm" as i like to call it, the way you are taught how to advertise and how to attract people thru advertisements . it's like they are using the rule book of advertising down to the letter and not straying from what is usually taught in college/uni

While i disagree with the way they advertise i understand that there was a lot of investors unhappy at the lack of advertising , which resulted in the team following thru with requests. now only to be faced with people who are angry at a closed source project that is being overly advertised with flashy words for features that are not proven/verified by the a community of its peers yet, but by a select few people.

Yes it is illogical to advertise something that cannot be shown, but it is also illogical to jump to wild conclusions about code that is closed source, people are shouting "it's closed source" let us see the code, then claim there many different better solutions to anonymity, well hang on a second you just said the problem was you couldn't see the code? how are you able to judge it sufficiently without seeing the code, and if you can why even both being here, you can see the code and have already made a judgement why are you still here?  

Just like the blind believers illogically following the Dev, you have people who are illogically blinded by the fact it is closed source and then jump to wild conclusions without any evidence also, they are the opposite ends of the spectrum, over optimistic and overly pessimistic  

It's like the question of god's existence.....well you can't prove he isn't real.

"Well i can't see the code so it must be shit, and my opinion is the only evidence required because i "feel" something isn't right"

While i cannot deny there is a lot of blindless support that goes on (this happens in EVERY SINGLE COIN)

You also cannot deny that there has been a huge number of trolls asking the same questions over and over and getting answers to those questions and yet still not being able to get away from that subject(while acting as if they are remaining totally objective) you have super emotionally bias people that have judged the coin purely on their emotions which leads to illogical assumptions.  The jumping on any little detail and trying to turn it into a big thing.

Yes the advertising could benefit to be toned down on the hype the stuff no one can see side , Yes it is closed sourced and yes it is a gamble , But the team have been constantly developing and bring constant updates to the platform , They are still there working away , Normally a coin fades into darkness and "dies" when development stops when the dev is no longer working towards the goals of mass adoption/ease of use /utility, or is just plain inactive and hardly does anything. This is clearly not the case for XC .

infinitechaos

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:06:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to respond, URSAY.

I will say that my post was in response to the concerns you raised, but not necessarily directed at you.

As such, I never meant to imply that you'd gotten upset in particular, but that there was some unhappiness in general.

It sounds like we're somewhat on the same page.

I agree about the concern for legal repercussions of using certain terms and I hope the team can find a way to best utilize language in upcoming official documentation and advertising. It is apparent that the fine details are still being discussed and determined and I would think that the team will listen to these concerns and do their best to tie together all the loose ends with regards to legality.

The ITO is still a week away. Given Dan's pace of development, I wouldn't be surprised if he delivers a more finely tuned, perhaps finalized, XChat before really getting started on BlockNet. We shall see...

And I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel despite having been banned from the official thread apparently. I've appreciated your contributions. And I think the team would be more receptive to your contributions and feedback if there were not a hoard of nit-picking trolls dishing out their rhetoric and punchlines alongside your input.

▄▄█████████████▄▄       
     ▄███▀▀▀         ▀▀▀███▄     
   ▄███▀       ▄▄▄       ▀███▄   
  ███▀       ▄██▀██▄       ▀███ 
▐██▌          ▀▐█▌▀          ▐██▌
▐██▌          ▄▐█▌▄          ▐██▌
  ███▄       ▀██▄██▀       ▄███ 
   ▀███▄       ▀▀▀       ▄███▀   
     ▀███▄▄           ▄▄███▀     
        ▀▀█████████████▀▀       
B I T N A T I O N
G O V E R N A N C E  2.0

Android app available now
▀█▄▄           
 ██▄▀███▄▄       
 ████▄▀████▀▄▄   
 ██████▄▀█▀█████
 █████▀▄███▄▀▀   
 ███▀▄██▀▀       
 █▀▄█▀▀         
INSTALL PANGEA
       IOS coming soon
URSAY (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:16:21 AM

And I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel despite having been banned from the official thread apparently. I've appreciated your contributions. And I think the team would be more receptive to your contributions and feedback if there were not a hoard of nit-picking trolls dishing out their rhetoric and punchlines alongside your input.

Honestly, now I'm not sure I was banned.  3 of my posts were deleted but I'm not sure I was banned.  I apologize to the team if that mistake on my part set off additional trolls.  Dealing with the constant influx of users that have strong opinions is not an easy job.

It just got really tense in there for a bit and I saw a ban or two that became questionable.  Also, if PR feels the need to get emotional or call names, step away from the keyboard and breathe.  I really hated seeing the PR guy call someone a retard and Dan following up with a confirmation of that statement and ban.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:51:34 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 06:37:02 AM by rdnkjdi

Honestly, now I'm not sure I was banned

They will send you a message if you are thread banned (or should state it on the thread).  User so & so is banned.

Back on the issue of open source - here's the problem.  I count Darkcoin, Monero, BitcoinDark all with SIGNIFICANTLY larger market caps.  And they are all open sourced. 

If XC really had what it claims to - why would they not release it?  If somebody wants to clone anonymity - they can do it already with projects that are much larger in market cap & older than XCurrency.  Deciding to come out with "the internet of blockchains" before you open source your code raises some massive red flags.  You aren't finishing the project before you start this under taking?  It looks like you're simply chasing the fads & have no real bearing.  In addition - there's no way to really verify the last six months of performance / code quality.  There's no way of knowing if you're selling a load of hoarse shit.

I'm seeing XC is down to 1.8 Million.  Monero (disclaimer - I own some) is releasing (I think) like 15,000 coins on the market per day.  XC is slowly fading into oblivion.  The only reason it hasn't had the shit dumped out of it is because it's PoS & releasing few new coins.  So it's held up by holders - it's not attracting new buyers.  If you add up this market action with Dan's tendancy to pump other coins - some of which supposedly do the same thing as XC (privacy messaging \ transactions).  And the fact that the blocknet is made up of largely unknown coins at best / scam coins at worst.  Then the appearance is that rather than focus on delivering XC which was to be open sourced - this is a desperate grab at funds.

You're really trying to sell an idea to the community when you haven't opensourced the last six months of your project?  Perhaps all of the pre-mine funds have been used up & the development needs to move on to another project to win the bread?

If the coins primary selling point is anonymity and it's closed sourced there can be little to no verification of any of the development claims in the last several months.  The ONLY thing people are buying is that whatever tech is under the hood will beat out Darkcoin, Monero, BitcoinDark, etc.  & this bet is placed purely on the hype machine known as XC.  Nothing else.

So yeah.  Open source matters in this space.  As it should. 

With Darkcoin open sourcing, cryptonote going mainstream then then btcd the market for closed sourced anonymity solutions has effectively been filled.  It's like buying a pile of dirt that claims there is gold in it - or buying gold.  It's not so much that XC has changed - but the market around it has.

jibble

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:38:22 AM

Honestly, now I'm not sure I was banned

They will send you a message if you are thread banned (or should state it on the thread).  User so & so is banned.

Back on the issue of open source - here's the problem.  I count Darkcoin, Monero, BitcoinDark all with SIGNIFICANTLY larger market caps.  And they are all open sourced.  

If XC really had what it claims to - why would they not release it?  If somebody wants to clone anonymity - they can do it already with projects that are much larger in market cap & older than XCurrency.  Deciding to come out with "the internet of blockchains" before you open source your code raises some massive red flags.  You aren't finishing the project before you start this under taking?  It looks like you're simply chasing the fads & have no real bearing.  In addition - there's no way to really verify the last six months of performance / code quality.  There's no way of knowing if you're selling a load of hoarse shit.

I'm seeing XC is down to 1.8 Million.  Monero (disclaimer - I own some) is releasing (I think) like 15,000 coins on the market per day.  XC is slowly fading into oblivion.  The only reason it hasn't had the shit dumped out of it is because it's PoS & releasing few new coins.  So it's held up by holders - it's not attracting new buyers.  If you add up this market action with Dan's tendancy to pump other coins - some of which supposedly do the same thing as XC (privacy messaging \ transactions).  And the fact that the blocknet is made up of largely unknown coins at best / scam coins at worst.  Then the appearance is that rather than focus on delivering XC which was to be open sourced - this is a desperate grab at funds.

You're really trying to sell an idea to the community when you haven't opensourced the last six months of your project?  Perhaps all of the pre-mine funds have been used up & the development needs to move on to another project to win the bread?

If the coins primary selling point is anonymity and it's closed sourced there can be little to no verification of any of the development claims in the last several months.  The ONLY thing people are buying is that whatever tech is under the hood will beat out Darkcoin, Monero, BitcoinDark, etc.  & this bet is placed purely on the hype machine known as XC.  Nothing else.

So yeah.  Open source matters in this space.  As it should.  

With Darkcoin open sourcing, cryptonote going mainstream then then btcd the market for closed sourced anonymity solutions has effectively been filled.  It's like buying a pile of dirt that claims there is gold in it - or buying gold.

I really don't understand how you can include Darkcoin in that analogy, the coin was closed source, and set to a specific schedule to be open sourced, when they were ready.

XC is saying the same thing, We will open source "at this period of development"

How about when dark had a market cap that was worth more than every single other anon coin together and was still closed source?
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:43:27 AM

Yea ... I get what you're saying.  But darkcoin had first mover advantage.  

Maybe I'm wrong and XC will come roaring back.  I just don't see room for it in the top 20 with BTCD, Monero & Darkcoin all above it in market cap especially when it chooses to remain closed source.
jibble

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:58:58 AM

Yea ... I get what you're saying.  But darkcoin had first mover advantage.  

Maybe I'm wrong and XC will come roaring back.  I just don't see room for it in the top 20 with BTCD, Monero & Darkcoin all above it in market cap especially when it chooses to remain closed source.

See i don't know.

From this last trend in coins, which was the anon trend, Current is cannabis which seems to have been much shorter lived. It seems the anon function alone is something that in the future generation of coins is going to becoming prerequisite for all coins being created. The anon is becoming a standard feature on any wallet. The trend lasted much longer than normal trends usually happen and many more coins are joining in on it and i do think that is because it is something that is valued and needed , With the media for the last year or so story after story of how the NSA can hack into your accounts and make it look like you had payments from terrorists going back 12 years to , the ability to hack into every single computer on earth with ease. This is why the trend has lasted so long and why still more and more people are trying to make new solutions and new possibilities.

It is something that is urgently required not just for the tech geeks but for everyone and anyone using technology , the ability to not have your every move traced.

It will most likely depend on the other features the coin can bring and how easy they can be to use, general adoption like normal.

While i cannot with 100% certaintly say XC is going to be THE coin to solve all the problems and be the more feature rich and easiest to use therefore the best, It is still a horse in the race, i am currently invested in 2 of the other coins you mentioned. I see the anon as a foundation on the coins themselves , The impressive thing is , it cannot be denied that all the coin dev's of aforementioned coins have been working their asses off , pushing for a similar goal. They have provided constant updates and new innovation to the crypto space.

it would be a pretty safe gamble to suggest that the best anon solution/coin hasn't even been made yet

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:10:25 AM

I agree with you on everything you said.
Aristophanes

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:46:19 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 07:58:52 PM by Aristophanes

Just like the blind believers illogically following the Dev, you have people who are illogically blinded by the fact it is closed source and then jump to wild conclusions without any evidence also, they are the opposite ends of the spectrum, over optimistic and overly pessimistic  

That's because EVERY anon coin that has promised a 100% trustless anon system HAS FAILED when they reveal their code.

I dumped a ton of XC yesterday just like I said I would in my deleted post, and I will gladly dump more. So go ahead and put some buy orders up.

I held XC, because I thought they had a moral high ground going for them.

I got a bit uneasy when Dan started doing work for coins that lied and fucked over their communities hard. But, I figured, the guy has gotta eat.

When I saw the blocknet announcement I laughed for a good 5 minutes. A bunch of scamcoins all grouped and XC is at the HEAD!

Sure their concepts all sound nice and fancy,, but none of them are practical at all. Bitcoin is extremely simple and 99.99% of people don't even use it!

I seriously cannot wait to come back in a few months and just twist the fucking knife in you pathetic cheerleaders. You are worse than the scammers themselves, because you blindly give them your money and speak out against people who criticize them.

Sure, XC can pump up 2-10x if the market lets it.. but I'm not taking a chance on that. I feel bad for the team members who have their name attached to XC... because when the XC whales dump.. they are going to get all the fallout.

I also have some inside information about who is controlling Dan now, but I'll keep that to myself.
URSAY (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:57:39 PM

I also have some inside information about who is controlling Dan now, but I'll keep that to myself.

Perhaps you can say, is this a matter of proving a percentage of market holdings to have a more weighted opinion?

A few days ago there was speculation about A LOT of coins moving.  I know exactly who that is.  Wink
Aristophanes

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:59:31 PM

Perhaps you can say, is this a matter of proving a percentage of market holdings to have a more weighted opinion?

Yea it was poorly worded... I should have said I know now what whales he listens to.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:06:48 PM

Yea it was poorly worded... I should have said I know now what whales he listens to.

Just out of curiosity - any idea of what the average cost of early adopter who got his coins in the 100 days of mining was?  For a lot of coins I think later adopters never realize how cheap early adoption was (I know I was in this boat and got dumped on in another coin).  But per coinmarketcap - XC is cheaper than it's ever been except in the first several days.
the_game1224

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:18:47 PM

Just out of curiosity - any idea of what the average cost of early adopter who got his coins in the 100 days of mining was?  For a lot of coins I think later adopters never realize how cheap early adoption was (I know I was in this boat and got dumped on in another coin).  But per coinmarketcap - XC is cheaper than it's ever been except in the first several days.

That's because the coin supply was cut dramatically when PoW ended early, price spiked in relation.  Here is a link from the original thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=600706.msg6617723#msg6617723
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: