Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:13:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Support OpenBazaar!!!  (Read 10007 times)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:35:07 PM

OpenBazaar is cool but is not good enough.

It's early days. Come back in 6 months.

When does it actually go live? I think this needs to become operational as soon as possible. It's going to be an interesting experiment but one that is badly needed due to the nature of the free market. I'm also interested how they will deal with items that really shouldn't be on there like the worst kind of stuff.

The full release will be rolled out by early 2015. They will not have any ability to censor any of the listings that will be posted on the network, even though they dont intend for OB to be used for illicit goods
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. They are creating a network that, by nature people will primarily use to trade in illegal goods. Although they have not put this goal in writing, I would not be surprised if there is a similar level of legal goods sold on OB as there were on SR1
OpenBazar is not really that anonymous. So, if I had illegal stuff to sell, I wouldn't do it there.
Sorry, but it is just BS, that so many people think: "Oh, it's something new, it must be just for illegal stuff, because they could use XYZ for legal stuff"
People don't want to use Ebay anymore. People want as less central authorities as possible. So, P2P-Networks are spreading everywhere. That doesn't mean, this networks are outside of legal jurisdiction.

Agreed, it seems quite simple for the FBI to set up sting operations on OpenBazar. They set up a fake store front, sell fake drugs, and wait for you to pick them up at your house. They only need to do this a few times, perhaps only pretend they are doing it, for it to instill doubt in people.

I just want a BS free craigslist/eBay for bitcoin to buy and sell on, however, the idea that using OB might "mark" you for attention is worrying. As the well informed are aware, it only requires faint traces of criminal suspicion to seize assets and block your banks accounts these days. So I'm wondering what this looks like from outside to LE, are "non-infringing" stores obvious enough that even a Judge with a bad hangover will toss out the warrant?  Seems rational to me that it would be tantamount to seizing your house because of a drug dealer on same street or in neighborhood, but LE is not known for it's rigid regard for rationality. This probably sounds like a wimpy cop out, but I can't deal with every little thing becoming an idealogical battle, just want shit that works.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 04:52:30 PM

I just want a BS free craigslist/eBay for bitcoin to buy and sell on, however, the idea that using OB might "mark" you for attention is worrying. As the well informed are aware, it only requires faint traces of criminal suspicion to seize assets and block your banks accounts these days. So I'm wondering what this looks like from outside to LE, are "non-infringing" stores obvious enough that even a Judge with a bad hangover will toss out the warrant?  Seems rational to me that it would be tantamount to seizing your house because of a drug dealer on same street or in neighborhood, but LE is not known for it's rigid regard for rationality. This probably sounds like a wimpy cop out, but I can't deal with every little thing becoming an idealogical battle, just want shit that works.

That's a good concern. Maybe the creators of Open Bazaar could put up a notice (on the website and in the program), that it should not be used for buying or selling illegal goods or services, and that they don't approve of breaking the law. People might still try to do it, but it would be on the specific person for attempting to buy or sell then. Versus LE having an ability to go after the whole market because they see it as another silk road type site.
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 04:56:50 PM

That's a good concern. Maybe the creators of Open Bazaar could put up a notice (on the website and in the program), that it should not be used for buying or selling illegal goods or services, and that they don't approve of breaking the law. People might still try to do it, but it would be on the specific person for attempting to buy or sell then. Versus LE having an ability to go after the whole market because they see it as another silk road type site.
The developers of Open Bazaar don't earn money from it. So, I don't think, law enforcement can do anything about it.
Law enforcement also can't do anything against the developers of torrent-clients

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

The developers of Open Bazaar don't earn money from it. So, I don't think, law enforcement can do anything about it.
Law enforcement also can't do anything against the developers of torrent-clients

I never looked at Silk Road (1 or 2); I take it that they did earn money from it?
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:22:12 PM

Would be nice to see this take out ebay.

newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

I'd imagine there will be lots of OpenBazaar forks in the future, some could provide legal services/goods like Ebay with the rest catering to the more 'illegal' trade (silkroad etc)
RobertDJ

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:59:49 AM

I was under the impression that people are generally encouraged to donate a percentage of each transaction to the devs of OB. While this is voluntary I would say that they would expect to receive donations rather frequently.
luckypyrate

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 04:19:37 AM

They should have kept the original name Dark Market. Changing the name to appease oppressive governments is weak.. Undecided

I dont agree with the name change as well, but I have to say that it would really make the entire development process only the more controversial than it has to be, which would impede development, and therefore, be less beneficial for the rest of us. Sad

DarkMarket sounded so cool.....

How is this name change any lamer than the play on "black market" for dark market? 

Anyway back to the big people table...

What are the hardware requirements for running a node?  I haven't found anywhere that mentions it (admittedly I haven't looked to much, just starting to look into OB).  I am currently running a P2Pool node for the bitcoin network and have room for another node for testing/dev. 

Looking forward to working with you guys Smiley

Life is too serious to be taken seriously
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 04:45:46 AM

What are the hardware requirements for running a node? 

All users are nodes, the hardware requirements are too insignificant to even mention.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 04:46:41 AM

How is this name change any lamer than the play on "black market" for dark market? 

What are the hardware requirements for running a node?  I haven't found anywhere that mentions it (admittedly I haven't looked to much, just starting to look into OB).  I am currently running a P2Pool node for the bitcoin network and have room for another node for testing/dev. 

The change from Dark Market to Open Bazaar is exactly that - moving from pimple-faced teen table to big people table Smiley

I suggest checking out the IRC Channel for OpenBazaar if you have questions for the devs / founders.  Theyre on freenode - #openbazaar

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 05:11:51 AM

I will head there directly and check it out thanks!

RobertDJ

Activity: 155

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:31:15 AM

The change from Dark Market to Open Bazaar is exactly that - moving from pimple-faced teen table to big people table Smiley

I suggest checking out the IRC Channel for OpenBazaar if you have questions for the devs / founders.  Theyre on freenode - #openbazaar

-B-
I would say that OB is much more complex then most dark markets due to it's decentralized nature. People will need to fend for themselves to be able to protect themselves from scams and may not be able to check for potential scams prior to participating in a transaction
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 08:02:00 AM

I have downloaded it for windows,but it require me to install another program
why is this happening?

Yes, install http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html first.

To answer the "why", OB uses gpg4win to generate public and private keys. With linux you usually have those tools allready and it makes no sense to include this into OB.

Its the same tool one would use to encrypt mails.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 03:45:51 PM

Yes, like with P2Pool, I have always preferred to stick with Linux for this very same reason.  I will be implementing a Linux node behind a fairly robust firewall I designed a while back.  I wonder if I can route the node through tor and still be an effective node? 

Does anyone think the latest Dark Web Down incident is any indication of a flaw in tor?  I know there was some speculation on this a long time ago, given the fedly roots of the tor project. 

We ought not forget it was the feds who created the internet to begin with, so the only thing we can do to outpace them is outinnovate them.  To the drawing boards!

BazaarDev

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 04:33:27 PM

Why couldn't one buy shares in this? Such as freemarket did. Would have been win win

^coming soon...  Cool
luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 04:35:07 PM

I thought there was a desire not to have shares?

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 04:52:00 PM

Please verify any rumors with trusted sources and not troll accounts with one post:

https://openbazaar.org/
https://blog.openbazaar.org/
https://twitter.com/openbazaar

Enfield

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:09:16 PM

I've got a feeling OpenBazaar wont be the first or last decentralised market around. Loads of people will try create their own versions and I'm sure there will be a few to "invest " in, but I wouldn't bother.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 05:20:22 PM

OpenBazaar shares would ruin the whole point of it being open source and decentralised, if you want shares then get the OpenBazaar code and start your own company.
luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 05:22:41 PM

OpenBazaar shares would ruin the whole point of it being open source and decentralised, if you want shares then get the OpenBazaar code and start your own company.

That's my thoughts on the matter

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: