Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:04:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Support OpenBazaar!!!  (Read 10007 times)
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:55:40 PM

Well I'm not too sure how keen I am on the concept of "proof of burn" (...ing Bitcoins) for every store owner, repeatedly for the life of the Open Bazaar existence.

The creation of an OB token of some sort which costs money, would enable vendors to show good faith by spending that money to authenticate their store, without a constant, ever-burning destruction of Bitcoins.

You dont have to allow it to be traded. 

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 11:52:39 PM

Well I'm not too sure how keen I am on the concept of "proof of burn" (...ing Bitcoins) for every store owner, repeatedly for the life of the Open Bazaar existence.

The creation of an OB token of some sort which costs money, would enable vendors to show good faith by spending that money to authenticate their store, without a constant, ever-burning destruction of Bitcoins.

-B-

I too am thinking about that one.

Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by sending a transaction to Sean's Outpost or some other charity?

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
luckypyrate

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 11:54:13 PM

Or further dev/security/maintenance?

Life is too serious to be taken seriously
troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 02:04:09 PM

-B-

I too am thinking about that one.

Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by sending a transaction to Sean's Outpost or some other charity?
The main advantage of Proof of Burn is that, the value gets lost from bitcoin and gets added to the new token. It's also transparent.
And if you give it to sean's outpost, the bitcoin will return to the market place. So, only the value exchanges the hands, there is no money backing the token.

Although i do not wholeheartedly agree with Proof of Burn. We could lock bitcoin up.....
Dajve

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 05:14:08 PM

OpenBazaar shares would ruin the whole point of it being open source and decentralised, if you want shares then get the OpenBazaar code and start your own company.

That's my thoughts on the matter

I'm sure people will do this. People are always greedy and will want to make money from this great idea. Hopefully the market will dictate which way these kind of marketplaces will go and how they will develop without centralised entities or people taking their cut.
Rampton

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:05:18 PM

Is OpenBazzar going to be completely without fees or will a small amount be distributed to the people who host or run it similarly like the bitcoin miners get a share?

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 07:03:50 PM

Is OpenBazzar going to be completely without fees or will a small amount be distributed to the people who host or run it similarly like the bitcoin miners get a share?

No fees, besides any BTC miner fee or arbitration fee if there is a dispute.

harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 10:07:47 PM

OpenBazaar shares would ruin the whole point of it being open source and decentralised, if you want shares then get the OpenBazaar code and start your own company.

I'm sure people will do this. People are always greedy and will want to make money from this great idea. Hopefully the market will dictate which way these kind of marketplaces will go and how they will develop without centralised entities or people taking their cut.

This is expected, and in fact, is the reason the licence was changed from GPL to MIT recently.
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:51:08 AM

There are no fees to use OB so any shares that would be sold would be worthless.

OB's only source of revenue is donations from the community, however such donations would almost certainly stop once shares are sold.

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 10:13:59 AM

No fees, besides any BTC miner fee or arbitration fee if there is a dispute.

I think this is one of the best points of Open Bazaar. Sites like ebay and also black market sites such as Silk Road charged too much in fees and bonds etc.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:11:14 PM

The coin burn is worrying me also. Having a limited number of bitcoins = good idea.... having very limited number of bitcoins = not good idea.

How fast is this going to "unmine" them, if we posit that it becomes as successful, though not identical, to SR 1.0 ?

I know we've got some natural attrition due to mistakes accidents and carelessness, but if it munched as little as 5% a year, I would tend to think that that made bitcoin look like not having a long term future. (Until the last million or so left were never traded or spent and used purely as value store/reserve, at which point mining would be pointless, no tx, and shit would die.)

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 06:01:41 PM

The coin burn is worrying me also. Having a limited number of bitcoins = good idea.... having very limited number of bitcoins = not good idea.

There is no limits to how many units we can create with further decimalization. The 21million cap only protects us against the theft of inflation. Even if 20 million BTC is burned we will be fine.

The act of burning coins is simply the act of giving the community a gift of deflation(increasing their spending power).

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 06:17:37 PM

Things can be mathematically sound, but psychologically discomforting ;-)

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 06:19:07 PM

Agreed, but luckily we can adapt by becoming used to other nomenclature like milibits and bits in the future.

rollingMyCar

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:04:17 PM

This is expected, and in fact, is the reason the licence was changed from GPL to MIT recently.

Plz can you explain differenze between GPL and MIT license in a few words?
Thanks
harrymmmm

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:52:08 PM

Plz can you explain differenze between GPL and MIT license in a few words?
Thanks

GPL use in a project requires all code mods to be GPL/public. MIT doesn't.
There are exceptions, but basically that means a group could use OB in a commercial product without being required to contribute their whole project (or even the OB enhancements) to the public domain.
harrymmmm

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:56:26 PM

Agreed, but luckily we can adapt by becoming used to other nomenclature like milibits and bits in the future.

See? You're doing it already.
How can a millibit be bigger than a bit?
My head is still exploding...
crazy-pilot

Activity: 861
Merit: 253

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 08:17:44 PM

There is no limits to how many units we can create with further decimalization. The 21million cap only protects us against the theft of inflation. Even if 20 million BTC is burned we will be fine.

The act of burning coins is simply the act of giving the community a gift of deflation(increasing their spending power).
No, not really. The act of burning coins is buying trust. The amount of coins that will (realistically) potentially be burned is much less then the amount of coins that are mined via the miners every day.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 08:21:07 PM

No, not really. The act of burning coins is buying trust. The amount of coins that will (realistically) potentially be burned is much less then the amount of coins that are mined via the miners every day.

Yes, I understand the reason for open bazaar burning coins. I was merely suggesting what the economic effect of destroying bitcoins .

SamPatt

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 03:29:46 AM

Why couldn't one buy shares in this? Such as freemarket did. Would have been win win

^coming soon...  Cool

Hey everyone, Sam Patterson here from the OpenBazaar team.

We admittedly don't have a very good presence here in the forums, we are mostly in our /r/openbazaar subreddit or on IRC. So claims like the quote above should be treated very skeptically; this appears to be a scammer.

We aren't offering shares, or any investment of any kind. There are no fees for using OpenBazaar - that's one of the cores benefits of it - so it's unclear how anyone could get a return on investment. We do take donations, but aren't soliciting them, we don't really need them at this point. If we do, we'll do a proper crowdfunding campaign.

Happy to answer questions about OpenBazaar is anyone has them. We're really excited to see how much the community has supported us over the past few months, it's been a lot of work but very rewarding.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: