Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:10:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Support OpenBazaar!!!  (Read 10007 times)
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:23:18 AM

OpenBazaar is cool but is not good enough.

It's early days. Come back in 6 months.

When does it actually go live? I think this needs to become operational as soon as possible. It's going to be an interesting experiment but one that is badly needed due to the nature of the free market. I'm also interested how they will deal with items that really shouldn't be on there like the worst kind of stuff.
It has been "live" (although in alpha stages) for a few months now. Up until very recently it was only available to people who have a mac (this has now expanded into windows).

Wut?
We've had linux running for months. Mac and windows installers are a recent addition.

Items that 'really shouldn't be on there' will be on there since your opinion about that won't matter. You will be free to not look at them though.
The current version will be susceptible to law enforcement 'opinion', but that won't be the case forever.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:38:56 AM

When does it actually go live? I think this needs to become operational as soon as possible. It's going to be an interesting experiment but one that is badly needed due to the nature of the free market. I'm also interested how they will deal with items that really shouldn't be on there like the worst kind of stuff.

The full release will be rolled out by early 2015. They will not have any ability to censor any of the listings that will be posted on the network, even though they dont intend for OB to be used for illicit goods
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. They are creating a network that, by nature people will primarily use to trade in illegal goods. Although they have not put this goal in writing, I would not be surprised if there is a similar level of legal goods sold on OB as there were on SR1
OpenBazar is not really that anonymous. So, if I had illegal stuff to sell, I wouldn't do it there.
Sorry, but it is just BS, that so many people think: "Oh, it's something new, it must be just for illegal stuff, because they could use XYZ for legal stuff"
People don't want to use Ebay anymore. People want as less central authorities as possible. So, P2P-Networks are spreading everywhere. That doesn't mean, this networks are outside of legal jurisdiction.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:45:29 AM

The full release will be rolled out by early 2015. They will not have any ability to censor any of the listings that will be posted on the network, even though they dont intend for OB to be used for illicit goods
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. They are creating a network that, by nature people will primarily use to trade in illegal goods. Although they have not put this goal in writing, I would not be surprised if there is a similar level of legal goods sold on OB as there were on SR1
OpenBazar is not really that anonymous. So, if I had illegal stuff to sell, I wouldn't do it there.
Sorry, but it is just BS, that so many people think: "Oh, it's something new, it must be just for illegal stuff, because they could use XYZ for legal stuff"
People don't want to use Ebay anymore. People want as less central authorities as possible. So, P2P-Networks are spreading everywhere. That doesn't mean, this networks are outside of legal jurisdiction.

Agreed, it seems quite simple for the FBI to set up sting operations on OpenBazar. They set up a fake store front, sell fake drugs, and wait for you to pick them up at your house. They only need to do this a few times, perhaps only pretend they are doing it, for it to instill doubt in people.

more or less retired.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 09:41:36 AM

Surprised drug trade is even being talked about, still.

The case for OB is really, really clear. Go here, think about some things around your house, maybe something you make for a hobby or business, and see what Paypal/eBay'd charge you.

Just to throw out some examples (fixed price auction, no add-ons) for the exceptionally lazy:
$6.99 jams & jellies business = 21.46% fee per individual unit, 14.33% per six-pack
$10 Playstation code = 18.9% fee per unit, 14.1% per $50 card
Fujifilm "Instant Minis" = 16.12% fee per 20-pack, 14.34% per 50-pack.

Until you start selling items over $3500 each, the fee is >10%. Is eBay really providing enough service to justify 10%, much less 14-22%? Absolutely not, unless you count their customer acquisition costs, which is really just a fee to raise barrier to entry for better products; feeding the beast.

Let's look at two widget businesses.

Jim's Widgets sells 500 units of CheapWidget each month @ $5.99 each.
Bill's Widgets sells 250 units of PremiumWidget each month @ $25.99 each.

On eBay, Jim would be losing out on $685 in revenue from his $2995 potential. Bill would be losing out on $987.50 revenue from $6497.50 potential. Those are pretty massive losses. Medicare/SS taxes don't even come close to that %. OTOH, OB charges nothing; zero; 0%; $0.00; BTC0.00000000.

It seems completely reasonable for people selling to give a 2% donation of revenues to the developers, and 2% to a dedicated customer acquisitions NFP which literally just spends money advertising OB. This would still be a %fee lower than eBay charges on $20,000 items. On, say, $20, this is practically robbing the OB team compared to current solutions. What OB lacks (like pretty much all FLOSS software) is a good way of making donations painless and fair on the user's part. Right now, you can't just say, "oh, I want to donate 2% of all sales to Jim, 2% to Bill," right? Same problem Core and Armory have and why developers are now answering to higher powers, which, while it may not necessarily turn out bad, is clearly inferior to consistent decentralized donations.
doof

Activity: 765

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 11:25:37 AM

Been trying to access OpenBazaar for weeks using Windows/Virtual Player/Ubuntu with no success.
Am finally seeing 80 stores!
If you only see 1 or 2 two stores you are probably not connected.
This link may help:

http://www.reddit.com/r/OpenBazaar/comments/2ltdf7/thank_so_much_guys_beta_30_windows_im_a_happy/

I got up to 370 stores last night.. non loaded Sad
Tarantino

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 12:25:10 PM

OpenBazaar is a really exciting concept for me for a couple of reasons. I'm really sick of sites like ebay's fees, and I also think people should be able to safely buy drugs if they so wish.
SideShow

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 01:18:49 PM

When is it going to launch at a full scale? It would be great to have an ebay like place for cryptoworld.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 02:57:25 PM

OpenBazaar’s Operations Lead told us that they hope to be fully operational by Spring 2015.

http://bitcoinful.com/post/102357297262/an-interview-with-sam-patterson-operations-lead

Can't wait  Cool

deluxeCITY

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:16:59 PM

The way OB was designed was to prevent the identities of others from being able to be discovered by law enforcement (or any other central agency/authority) in an efficient way. This point is that it is supposedly more safe to buy and sell illegal items using OB.
The case for OB is really, really clear. Go here, think about some things around your house, maybe something you make for a hobby or business, and see what Paypal/eBay'd charge you.

Just to throw out some examples (fixed price auction, no add-ons) for the exceptionally lazy:
$6.99 jams & jellies business = 21.46% fee per individual unit, 14.33% per six-pack
eBay was really not designed to be used to sell these kinds of low value items on it, although many people do in order to increase their potential number of buyers. If you were to include the cost of shipping items in a way that can be tracked (which would be necessary for both OB and eBay transactions as if this was not used then the buyer could always claim they did not receive their goods) then the total cost would be much higher. eBay was really designed to sell higher end type goods that would sell for several hundred dollars.
sadface

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:17:48 PM

i haven't looked into OB that much, so a question:

did i understand it correct that your shop is only accessible (buy, browse listings etc.) as long as you leave your node/software running?
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:20:18 PM

It's an awesome software and pretty nice Grin the creator of the platform is anyone on bitcointalk forums ?

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:49:06 PM

It's an awesome software and pretty nice Grin the creator of the platform is anyone on bitcointalk forums ?

Amir is somewhere and he was involved somehow I believe but not sure if he's still active.
cmacwiz

Activity: 704
Merit: 270

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:07:50 PM

Good enough for what? Sure, the beta releases are buggy as hell, but the new ideas of implementing multisig and arbiters for consumer protection seem  powerful. It will take a while, but I have high hopes for openbazaar and others like it
theblacksquid (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:24:59 PM

The way OB was designed was to prevent the identities of others from being able to be discovered by law enforcement (or any other central agency/authority) in an efficient way. This point is that it is supposedly more safe to buy and sell illegal items using OB.

eBay was really not designed to be used to sell these kinds of low value items on it, although many people do in order to increase their potential number of buyers. If you were to include the cost of shipping items in a way that can be tracked (which would be necessary for both OB and eBay transactions as if this was not used then the buyer could always claim they did not receive their goods) then the total cost would be much higher. eBay was really designed to sell higher end type goods that would sell for several hundred dollars.

Your IP address would be visible without taking special precautions when you run an OB node, so it would actually help the Law Enforcement to pinpoint your location. At this point, OB is mainly for testing purposes only.

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
doof

Activity: 765

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 11:40:57 PM

Dr Washo is, and hes attended a few meetups.
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 12:02:50 AM

Your IP address would be visible without taking special precautions when you run an OB node, so it would actually help the Law Enforcement to pinpoint your location. At this point, OB is mainly for testing purposes only.

OB was recently "forked" to allow for the use of tor. Not only that but it is designed in a way so that the transaction would not be available to law enforcement unless it was a party to the transaction (either buyer, seller or "escrow"/"arbitrator")
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 01:06:28 AM

eBay's fees are still well over 10% on $xxx items. The %fee doesn't really become reasonable unless you're selling $5k+ items.

I tried to poke the OB team into commenting specifically on the Tor fork, but I'm guessing it's going to leak, which is why Bitcoin+Tor combo also isn't generally considered safe/private.
ScreamnShout

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 07:41:10 AM

eBay's fees are still well over 10% on $xxx items. The %fee doesn't really become reasonable unless you're selling $5k+ items.

I tried to poke the OB team into commenting specifically on the Tor fork, but I'm guessing it's going to leak, which is why Bitcoin+Tor combo also isn't generally considered safe/private.
I may be reading this incorrectly, however apparently ebay now charges 10% on the sales price plus shipping (http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html#totalamount). I would say this is a huge amount (although the criminal complaint against the SR2 guy said that SR2 charged an average of 8% on sales so I guess that ebay can get the extra 2% for being a "legit" site
cryptworld

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:07:49 AM

I have downloaded it for windows,but it require me to install another program
why is this happening?
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 12:12:45 PM

I have downloaded it for windows,but it require me to install another program
why is this happening?

Yes, install http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html first.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: