Print  
Author Topic: :  (Read 12671 times)
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 11:21:03 PM

If bitcoins are tangible then tangibility needs to be redefined such that tangible objects cannot be easily copied.  You cannot copy a bitcoin.  A bitcoin is tangible because, in addition to being clear and definite, it cannot be duplicated (easily).

I think you are conflating two issues unnecessarily: tangibility and scarcity. An item, either physical or informational, can be tangible, or in other words be real, and yet not be scarce.

And before we start talking about and discussing property rights with regards to bitcoins I think it is important that we establish that bitcoins are real, or in other words, tangible.

I agree that bitcoins are tangible, but why are bitcoins tangible and math equations not tangible? Well, I think it could be possible that tangibility could also depend on scarcity.  Hollywood movies are worth more if the material is new, has a good plot, and that pirated movies are scarce.  If a film is more pirated then Hollywood makes less money.  Hollywood would like to believe that their movies are tangible, but thepiratebay believes information is free and that movies are most likely not tangible.

It seems like if something has value then it is tangible. Value depends on scarcity.  There is an infinite supply of air guitars so these musical instruments have no value and thus are not tangible.  Bitcoins are scarce and have value, and thus, it is one reason they are tangible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 11:35:44 PM

The entire tangibility issue is really a matter of proof... Or, the belief in a proof.

If I am holding a gold coin in my hand that serves as a fair level of proof that A.) It exists, and B.) I control it (own it). Once gold is represented by an abstraction layer like a deposit in a gold account there has to be an extension of the proof in the validity of the ledger of those accounts, including proof that the gold is actually there to back them up.

Bitcoin solves this problem very efficiently, and it will become more efficient as economies of scale are realized and technology improves. But there is a limit to the efficiency of that proof for any physical commodity because it must be physically counted, stored, secured, transported, etc.

I can prove I have an air guitar.  I just pretend I have an air guitar, pretend to jam, and voila!  I have an air guitar!  It's easy.  So I don't think the "proof" method works to determine tangibility.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 11:38:05 PM

If bitcoins are tangible then tangibility needs to be redefined such that tangible objects cannot be easily copied.  You cannot copy a bitcoin.  A bitcoin is tangible because, in addition to being clear and definite, it cannot be duplicated (easily).

I think you are conflating two issues unnecessarily: tangibility and scarcity. An item, either physical or informational, can be tangible, or in other words be real, and yet not be scarce.

And before we start talking about and discussing property rights with regards to bitcoins I think it is important that we establish that bitcoins are real, or in other words, tangible.

I agree that bitcoins are tangible, but why are bitcoins tangible and math equations not tangible? Well, I think it could be possible that tangibility could also depend on scarcity.  Hollywood movies are worth more if the material is new, has a good plot, and that pirated movies are scarce.  If a film is more pirated then Hollywood makes less money.  Hollywood would like to believe that their movies are tangible, but thepiratebay believes information is free and that movies are most likely not tangible.

It seems like if something has value then it is tangible. Value depends on scarcity.  There is an infinite supply of air guitars so these musical instruments have no value and thus are not tangible.  Bitcoins are scarce and have value, and thus, they are tangible.

The entire tangibility issue is really a matter of proof... Or, the belief in a proof.

If I am holding a gold coin in my hand that serves as a fair level of proof that A.) It exists, and B.) I control it (own it). Once gold is represented by an abstraction layer like a deposit in a gold account there has to be an extension of the proof in the validity of the ledger of those accounts, including proof that the gold is actually there to back them up.

Bitcoin solves this problem very efficiently, and it will become more efficient as economies of scale are realized and technology improves. But there is a limit to the efficiency of that proof for any physical commodity because it must be physically counted, stored, secured, transported, etc.

this is exactly one of the problems with gold.  the majority of storage has to be in centralized places like the LBMA, Comex, basement of the FRBNY.  but is it really there?  why do you think several foreign countries like Germany have requested to remove their gold from the likes of these?  b/c they can't trust the caretakers.  neither can the American people.
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:58:04 AM

That is proof... And it is worth exactly what air guitars are worth on the open market.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

It seems like if something has value then it is tangible. Value depends on scarcity.  There is an infinite supply of air guitars so these musical instruments have no value and thus are not tangible.  Bitcoins are scarce and have value, and thus, it is one reason they are tangible.

Sorry for the offtopic, but the bold sentence is flat out wrong.  The highest grossing films are also the most pirated.  So called pirates also spend more money on movies and music than the average person.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 01:55:17 AM

That is proof... And it is worth exactly what air guitars are worth on the open market.

Well, you see, that's not the same. Because then you have to deal with the abstraction layer of eBay.

Sheldon? Is that you?
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:26:39 AM

I can prove I have an air guitar.  I just pretend I have an air guitar, pretend to jam, and voila!  I have an air guitar!  It's easy.  So I don't think the "proof" method works to determine tangibility.

Interesting.  If that is the case then everything including thought, math equations, air guitars is tangible.  It's just that it is worth $0.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 01:35:09 PM

Interesting.  If that is the case then everything including thought, math equations, air guitars is tangible.  It's just that it is worth $0.

Piss is tangible.

And so, we see the weakness of logical positivism...

I don't get it. Where in this thread did we (even try to) link tangibility with value?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 01:37:14 PM

€500-bln eurozone bailout gets green light in Germany

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 01:59:33 PM

190 billion euro is not enough.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:10:24 PM

hmm, I thought supermario was buying govt. debt with no limit (albeit strings attached)?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:21:34 PM

hmm, I thought supermario was buying govt. debt with no limit (albeit strings attached)?

what the hell is wrong with you Germans anyway?  can't you reign in that Merkel and the Karlsrhue?  Grin Wink

Draghi-f*cks  announcement is so garbled who knows what it means.  "sterilized" means no more new money.  "conditionality" means giving up sovereignty to IMF and Troika.  buying the short end is gonna mean a continual series of rollovers ad infinitum at increasing frequency.  they're making it worse.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:44:26 PM

Draghi-f*cks  announcement is so garbled who knows what it means.  "sterilized" means no more new money.  "conditionality" means giving up sovereignty to IMF and Troika.  buying the short end is gonna mean a continual series of rollovers ad infinitum at increasing frequency.  they're making it worse.

There's still something left in the can, so kick it down the road..

Did you think they would do anything different??

The price movement in PM's is telling me Big Ben is about to get into the kicking game as well Wink
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:10:32 PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/and-todays-most-shocking-headline-we-have

silverbox: "molecular!  front and center!

molecular:  "what?"

silverbox:  "pony up now.  right now!"

molecular:  "why?"

silverbox:  "so my gold can go up!"

Grin
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:42:16 PM

here's the problem there and throughout the world; banks get to pay 0% or print free money for themselves but they insist that everyone else, citizens, corporations, municipalities, and even gov'ts pay either thru high interest rates or thru "conditionalities" aka austerity or coughing up your assets (a few islands here and there).

when is the nightmare going to stop?
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:41:56 PM

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fed-to-launch-qe3-of-40-billion-mbs-each-month-2012-09-13?link=MW_latest_news

Roll Eyes
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:51:20 PM

why don't they just buy $40b of chevy volts, fill them with iphone 5s, solyndra solar panels, and corn ethanol, and then set them all on fire every month

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:52:42 PM

why don't they just buy $40b of chevy volts, fill them with iphone 5s, solyndra solar panels, and corn ethanol, and then set them all on fire every month

I'm confused. I thought that's what they're doing anyway.
TheDom

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:23:17 PM

So, does QE3 mean everyone here starts posting rocket pictures ?
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:24:05 PM

So, does QE3 mean everyone here starts posting rocket pictures ?

Silver and Gold rockets Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: