Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:32:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions?  (Read 213383 times)
Vitalicus

Activity: 467
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:24:42 PM

Forgot pass, or stolen wallet ?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thatbluedude

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:57:49 PM

after skimming this thread with all it's code I kind of wonder, are there no professional forgotten password programms? when I temporarily forgot a trucrypt password some time back I didn't find any.
Is it the fear of beeing persecuted as an evil hacker or why is there no open source solution for this, the demand is there.
veryveryinteresting

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:09:34 PM

Any luck?

Not yet, it's still calculating possibilities! Smiley I may have set a parameter wrong.

Does it calculate every position for the symbol, words, and numbers? I ran it once, it didn't find it. Sad I changed some parameters, I think it'll hit it!
Rahazan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:36:42 PM

Any luck?

Not yet, it's still calculating possibilities! Smiley I may have set a parameter wrong.

Does it calculate every position for the symbol, words, and numbers? I ran it once, it didn't find it. Sad I changed some parameters, I think it'll hit it!

Well yes, it should create every possible order of the elements you put into each of the arrays.. I am afraid your password is simply not what you think it is?
whpulsar85

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:05:12 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 03:34:49 PM by whpulsar85

I really could use some help in  this area from Rahazan or riX. I have sent both of you a PM. Any assistance would be appreciated as I am pulling my hair out.... Huh
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:05:59 AM

We have a success over in the Newbies forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169232.msg

Niklas, you should try what he did in line 2 to mark the script as UTF-8 (or UTF-16, if you saved it on windows).  When I get a chance I'll add some proper unicode support, but just adding the comment at the top to ensure the embedded strings are handled correctly might be worth a shot for now.

Here's his post in case it helps anyone else:

Hi, could some admin please move this to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.100 and let member Revalin know (being a newbie, I cannot post there nor PM him).

Revalin, thanks for your script. Me, too, I forgot my precise passphrase. I remembered the overall mechanism to construct my wallet passphrase but didn't remember exactly how I applied it.
My wallet passphrase consists of a left and a right part. The left part was a sequence of character, maybe "Start" or "start" or "beginning"... Same with the right part. It could have been "end" or "End" or ... So, the passphrase could have been "startend", "Startend", "beginningEnd", ... There were about twenty possibilities for the left and also for the right part, too many to test manually. So I adapted your script.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
lefts = [ "start", "Start", "Beginning" ] # The possible words for the left part
rights = ["end", "End", "ending"] # The possible words for the right part

def test(phrase)
  print phrase, "\t"
  system("./bitcoind", "walletpassphrase", phrase, "20")
  case $?.exitstatus
  when 0
    puts "Found it! #{phrase}"
    exit 0
  when 127
    puts "bitcoind not found in current dir"
    exit 1
  when nil
    puts "Aborting"
    exit 1
  end
end

lefts.each do |left|
  rights.each do |right|
    test(left + right)
  end
end

If someone wants to use it, then replace the words in lefts and rights with your words and add as many as required.

Another comment: as reported earlier by niklas, the script runs unusable slow on Windows. I recommend installing some Linux image. I had no problems with German special characters.
Revalin, please PM me, I would like to send you a Bitcoin reward. Without your script, I probably wouldn't have recovered my wallet.

I have an issue similar to this. Revalin helped me get the code going, but I used a different password format than I usually do. I found the sheet with the "building blocks", but I don't know the order.

I don't have much BTC, but I am willing to give a 1 BTC (out of the handful in my wallet) to someone who can help me with this.

I used 4 or 5 different words, with pronunciations that I remember.
I also used some numbers.
Lastly, I used a symbol somewhere in the password.

Is there a way to try passwords generated like this:

wordlist = ["PassWord", "passWord", "ninja", "pIRate", "ATTack"] (all my pronunciation variations- I will write those, I know what the variations are, which ones I use and don't use)

numbers = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9] (I may have used as many as 4 numbers in the password)

symbol = [$] (maximum of one symbol in the passphrase)

So it would take words from the word list, add a number(s), and symbol, and try all variations:

words (that I know, up to 5 maximum) + numbers (up to 4 single digits, 0-9999, maximum of four digits in passphrase, either appearing as singles ("8") or together("34" or "512" or "2323"), before or after words) + 1 symbol somewhere in the passphrase (maximum 1 time shown up, before or after a word or number)

It could be as few as 1 word and as many as 5. Could be as few as 2 numbers (at least 2) and as many as 4. Needs at least one symbol.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, please let me know. I wish I could program. That powershell looks awesome!

Thanks,
VVI

using this code how do you stop it from exiting when found password it seems to exit instantly after finding the code

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Rahazan

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:19:27 PM

Hey everybody,

Sorry for not responding to the PMs, I didn´t even notice I got them (notification e-mail ended up in my junkbox..). I have updated the script to pause when the correct passphrase is found.
Here is the link to the new script: http://pastebin.com/FDG9gRQw.

If you need a know other things about your pass and wish to see a script don't be afraid to reply to this thread or PM.
Rahazan

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:01:54 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2013, 02:12:39 AM by Rahazan

There was a bug in the script, where passes containing a "$" would not properly be tested.
Ah, how could I not have thought of this :/, it's because in this language $ is used to indicate a variable (and if a variable $abcd doesn't exist it will just be empty). I made a fix to it, a $-containing pass will not print in the long list of passphrases it is going to try, but it will try it now.

Thanks for noting this!

http://pastebin.com/N1JGFbjL
Note how the strings are now using single quotes, not dual quotes, so you will have to re-do your settings I'm afraid.

Regards,
Rahazan

New version:
http://pastebin.com/arvxGgKA
veryveryinteresting

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:44:28 PM

Any luck?

Well yes, it should create every possible order of the elements you put into each of the arrays.. I am afraid your password is simply not what you think it is?

Well, it actually isn't working.... it is adding two symbols to most configurations, and then when I have 4 words (which I used them all as parts) it adds symbols to to each word it adds?
veryveryinteresting

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:51:33 PM

Every time it adds words from the word list, it places a symbol between them, and it doesn't try to add the words together without anything in them.

I have 4 words, but 7 total because three of them have capitalization variances.

1 symbol.

And between 2-4 numbers randomly in there.

For instance:

When I put that all in (with only "2" as the max number count), it generates ONLY 24 possibly passwords. Minimum 10 char, max 21. It didn't even put in any numbers, and all the potential passwords had 2 symbols in them.

Huh
whpulsar85

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:22:15 PM

Every time it adds words from the word list, it places a symbol between them, and it doesn't try to add the words together without anything in them.

I have 4 words, but 7 total because three of them have capitalization variances.

1 symbol.

For instance:

When I put that all in (with only "2" as the max number count), it generates ONLY 24 possibly passwords. Minimum 10 char, max 21. It didn't even put in any numbers, and all the potential passwords had 2 symbols in them.

Huh

I am experiencing similar. I have six words that I mixed to create a pass phrase. I can't get the Power Shell code to flip-flop all the possibilities of the words after I enter them in. It computes very few possibilities. If it did mix them up, I believe I would have success, but I don't have a clue on how to get it to do what I want it to do... Maybe an adjustment can be made somehow... It would be greatly appreciated!
Rahazan

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:34:57 AM

1 symbol.

For instance:

Huh

Well, I found the error. It turns out, that after adding a symbol it would call the function with the algorithm with one less parameter than expected. Instead of throwing an error, powershell defaulted to 0..

Here is a fixed version with a DEBUG mode, which you can enable (will probably make you understand how the passphrases are generated), note that it will slow it down quite a bit as printing takes up quite some time for a computer.

Also added an improvement where if the word is already max length, it will no longer add anything to it (and then find out it's too long anyway).

Sorry about not seeing this mistake :/..

http://pastebin.com/wwuYHzSu
veryveryinteresting

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:42:50 AM

1 symbol.

For instance:

Huh

Well, I found the error. It turns out, that after adding a symbol it would call the function with the algorithm with one less parameter than expected. Instead of throwing an error, powershell defaulted to 0..

Here is a fixed version with a DEBUG mode, which you can enable (will probably make you understand how the passphrases are generated), note that it will slow it down quite a bit as printing takes up quite some time for a computer.

Also added an improvement where if the word is already max length, it will no longer add anything to it (and then find out it's too long anyway).

No Problem! Thank you very much! I'll give it a shot now!
knybe

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:35:17 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 12:14:48 AM by knybe

The following is for running a ruby script with Bitcoin-Qt in terminal on OS X 10.8.3, not sure if this works on previous systems.
I'm pretty sure you have to install Ruby on Rails (http://createdbypete.com/articles/ruby-on-rails-development-with-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/)

Open a terminal and run the following to set up bitcoin.conf so that Bitcoin-Qt can operate in server mode. This will allow you to send command lines to it:
Code:
echo "rpcuser=bitcoinrpc" >>  /Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf
echo "rpcpassword=random password of your choosing" >> /Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf

Then startup Bitcoin-Qt as a server by entering the following into the terminal:
Code:
/Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt -server

Once it is up and running, go to the Applications folder and find Bitcoin Qt. Right click on the app and choose "Show Package Contents." Open the "Contents" folder and copy your .rb script into "MacOs" folder. IMPORTANT: Make sure you edit within the .rb script "rpcuser" and "rpcpassword" to reflect the info from your bitcoin.conf file.

Open a new terminal and type:
Code:
cd /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt

once there do:
Code:
ruby brute.rb
(assuming the script name is brute.rb)

and you should get to crackin... hope this helps any mac users out there.
exonomica

Activity: 63

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:36:49 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 01:05:57 PM by exonomica

hello guys,
is it possible to use Capital letters check in Powershell brute force script Huh ?
MrFirst

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:11:48 AM

Hello Rahazan!
I believe i really need your help with my bitcoin wallet.
I am afraid I am a total noob at computers. I bought some bitcoins - 2.62BTC and encrypted my wallet.
I remember I typed a password on txt file then copypasted it. But on some reasons i can't unblock my wallet now.
Can you please try to use your script and open it? I suggest you to take half of the sum - 1.31 BTC when you succeed on that. I guess it's quite a fair deal.
If you agree I can send you on PM my saved password and bitcoin address and whatever info else you need.
Best regards
Rahazan

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:32:42 AM

Hello Rahazan!
I am afraid I am a total noob at computers. I bought some bitcoins - 2.62BTC and encrypted my wallet.
I remember I typed a password on txt file then copypasted it. But on some reasons i can't unblock my wallet now.
Can you please try to use your script and open it? I suggest you to take half of the sum - 1.31 BTC when you succeed on that. I guess it's quite a fair deal.
If you agree I can send you on PM my saved password and bitcoin address and whatever info else you need.
Best regards

Hey there,

The script at the moment is meant for people who forgot a part of their password, or don't know the order of certain parts. I've been thinking of writing a program to generate a list with variations of a given passphrase (one letter in wrong case, extra letter). At the moment the script is not very suitable for doing these kinds of attempts. I'll start writing it, but I'm not making any promises as I'm doing it in my spare time Wink. I guess with a couple of hours I could make a working version.

Regards,
Rahazan
MrFirst

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:41:08 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 12:44:46 PM by MrFirst

Hello Rahazan!
Best regards

Hey there,

The script at the moment is meant for people who forgot a part of their password, or don't know the order of certain parts. I've been thinking of writing a program to generate a list with variations of a given passphrase (one letter in wrong case, extra letter). At the moment the script is not very suitable for doing these kinds of attempts. I'll start writing it, but I'm not making any promises as I'm doing it in my spare time Wink. I guess with a couple of hours I could make a working version.

Regards,
Rahazan

Rahazan let us know how it's going please. I guess in my case it's probably a matter of an extra or missing letter or maybe some of them at the begining or at the end of the password. I used copypaste to create and save password. So i don't think it could be a wrong case. Who knows though!
MrFirst

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:01:17 PM

I am gratefull to Rahazan. He developed an awsome script for my case. We tried to crack the wallet but seems the password i saved wasn't what i had thought about. Seems i just copypasted the wrong stuff into pw form. Well the sum isn't worth much regret though. Guys be carefull with your passwords! Smiley
veryveryinteresting

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:52:11 PM

1 symbol.

For instance:

Huh

No Problem! Thank you very much! I'll give it a shot now!

Turns out that the array stopped being built @ 300,000 guesses. I know there are more combinations, because I have 4 numbers, a symbol, and 4 words. Is 300,000 a hard limit for arrays?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: