Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:59:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions?  (Read 213389 times)
user0244

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:09:15 PM

Haha - in all seriousness, though, Revalin predicted that script would take approximately 30 days of 10 combinations a second to crack it, so you may struggle if you have to manually do that!

First many thanks for your time!
About my feathercoin wallet i get to the end and type in brute.rb but if gives me that error again
brute.rb is not as an internal command etc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KieranJones1

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:12:34 PM

No problem, friend. Have you installed Ruby on your PC? You need to go to your start menu, find the folder for Ruby, and launch Start Command Prompt with Ruby before you can run Ruby scripts (brute.rb is a Ruby script).
user0244

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:33:06 PM

No problem, friend. Have you installed Ruby on your PC? You need to go to your start menu, find the folder for Ruby, and launch Start Command Prompt with Ruby before you can run Ruby scripts (brute.rb is a Ruby script).

Many thank again for the quick reply yes done that, still get the same error message
KieranJones1

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:34:53 PM

Are you typing "ruby brute.rb"? That's what you need to type.

If this still doesn't work, give me a slightly fuller explanation of exactly what you're trying to do and I'll see if I can solve this for you. Smiley
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 09:05:03 PM

I just put the brute.rb file in the same directory as bitcoind, and opened it from there and it worked great. Perhaps you could try that?
user0244

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2013, 10:40:06 PM by user0244

Are you typing "ruby brute.rb"? That's what you need to type.

If this still doesn't work, give me a slightly fuller explanation of exactly what you're trying to do and I'll see if I can solve this for you. Smiley

Thanks again
Just done that and got this error no such file or directory
So i removed the "" from the save file and just saved as brute.rb
And now i get this error brute.rb:62in '<main>' : underfined method 'captures' for NilClass <NoMethodError>

Getting closer?

Cheers
user0244

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:31:09 PM

The problem is that, as far as I can see, there isn't a bitcoind (daemon) equivalent for protoshares, so the GUI launches every time it's called. I'll keep doing more research for you.

Thanks much appreciated.

I will sit here repeatedly closing it down hundreds of times and hopefully it may hit the password Smiley

Thanks i done the same and it worked
It came up oops and then found it! and then oops?
Don't know if its been found or not, where would i see the password
user0244

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:55:27 PM

The problem is that, as far as I can see, there isn't a bitcoind (daemon) equivalent for protoshares, so the GUI launches every time it's called. I'll keep doing more research for you.

Thanks much appreciated.

I will sit here repeatedly closing it down hundreds of times and hopefully it may hit the password Smiley

Thanks i done the same and it worked
It came up oops and then found it! and then oops?
Don't know if its been found or not, where would i see the password

False it hasn't found it:(

So what happens is i run ruby brute.rb. The feathercoin wallet pops up and it says oops
So now the feathercoin wallet is still open and nothing more is happening in the cmd screen
So i close the wallet and again nothing happens, just goes to c:\>
SP4RK7

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:03:47 AM

You first need to run your wallet in server mode from the CMD window

Once the wallet opens you type brute.rb and then it will try to open another version of your wallet.

If you keep closing the windows error pop up it will try another version of your password and the error window will pop up again, rinse and repeat

I gave up after about 2 hours was far to slow and I wasn't even sure it was trying the passwords

I'm thinking of going with the wallet recovery service see if they have any luck, only problem is they charge 20% of your wallet
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:16:16 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2013, 12:55:49 AM by KieranJones1

Since neither Feathercoin nor Protoshares seem to have their own daemon versions, or even accept an argument to make them run as daemons, I've been trying to use bitcoind.exe to crack them.

Here's my method so far - somebody can correct me if there's an easier way:
1. Go to the folder where your bitcoin wallet is contained, and rename your wallet.dat file to something else (I used BITCOIN-wallet.dat - this is only temporary)
2. Copy in your wallet.dat file for the other currency (FTC/PTS), keeping its name as wallet.dat.
3. Create a new file called bitcoin.conf in the folder where your bitcoin wallet was contained (mine is C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin). Click here for a copy of my bitcoin.conf, which is the Bitcoin wiki's "example" of a bitcoin.conf file, with the relevant lines uncommented. (The RPC username in my version is "hello1"; the RPC password is "hello2".)
3. Open command prompt. Navigate to a folder containing bitcoind.exe and launch it with the following parameters:
Code:
bitcoind -server -daemon -rpcuser=hello1 -rpcpassword=hello2 -rpcport=8332
If you enter this correctly, the title of the command prompt window should permanently change and you won't be able to type anything anymore.
4. Leave this command prompt window open, and open another command prompt window. Navigate to a folder containing bitcoind.exe (yes, again) and type
Code:
bitcoind getinfo
If you get information (screenshot), instead of an error, your bitcoind server is accessible via RPC. If you get an error, post what you did and I can try and fix it. Tongue
5. Leaving both command prompts open, open "Start Command Prompt with Ruby", navigate to the location of brute.rb, and type
Code:
ruby brute.rb

Let me know how this goes for you guys!

EDIT: if step 4 brings up an error saying "couldn't connect to server", just try the command again, and again, and again. When it happened to me, I just left the server on for about 15 minutes, then tried it and it worked.
SP4RK7

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:27:12 AM

Since neither Feathercoin nor Protoshares seem to have their own daemon versions, or even accept an argument to make them run as daemons, I've been trying to use bitcoind.exe to crack them.

1. Go to the folder where your bitcoin wallet is contained, and rename your wallet.dat file to something else (I used BITCOIN-wallet.dat - this is only temporary)
2. Copy in your wallet.dat file for the other currency (FTC/PTS), keeping its name as wallet.dat.
3. Create a new file called bitcoin.conf in the folder where your bitcoin wallet was contained (mine is C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin). Click here for a copy of my bitcoin.conf, which is the Bitcoin wiki's "example" of a bitcoin.conf file, with the relevant lines uncommented. (The RPC username in my version is "hello1"; the RPC password is "hello2".)
3. Open command prompt. Navigate to a folder containing bitcoind.exe and launch it with the following parameters:
Code:
4. Leave this command prompt window open, and open another command prompt window. Navigate to a folder containing bitcoind.exe (yes, again) and type
Code:
bitcoind getinfo
If you get information, instead of an error, your bitcoind server is accessible via RPC. If you get an error, post what you did and I can try and fix it. Tongue
5. Leaving both command prompts open, open "Start Command Prompt with Ruby", navigate to the location of brute.rb, and type
Code:
ruby brute.rb

I will try this in the morning and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help so far Smiley
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:29:05 AM

No problem! In all honesty, I'm interested because of the bounty, but researching this is teaching me all kinds of things I didn't know about wallet encryption, so I'm enjoying helping you two. Smiley
user0244

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:29:28 AM

You first need to run your wallet in server mode from the CMD window

Once the wallet opens you type brute.rb and then it will try to open another version of your wallet.

If you keep closing the windows error pop up it will try another version of your password and the error window will pop up again, rinse and repeat

I gave up after about 2 hours was far to slow and I wasn't even sure it was trying the passwords

I'm thinking of going with the wallet recovery service see if they have any luck, only problem is they charge 20% of your wallet

So you get that error message cannot contain lock on directory etc and then you have to keep on clicking ok...
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:35:37 AM

Oh, here's a link to the version of brute.rb that worked for me. It's currently cycling through the different combinations and seems to be working fine; I've encrypted my (empty) test wallet with the passphrase "hello1" and I'm pretty sure it'll work it out in the end Wink

The only part you have to change is the "hello" at the top of the script, which you replace with your best guess at your password.
I believe you can also edit the list of characters:
Code:
characters = " !\"\#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~"
  list = []
So you can remove some of the punctuation, for example, if you're certain you didn't use it in your password.

Screenshot of my command prompt running through combinations:
user0244

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:43:08 AM

Code:
Code:
bitcoind getinfo
If you get information, instead of an error, your bitcoind server is accessible via RPC. If you get an error, post what you did and I can try and fix it. Tongue
Code:
ruby brute.rb

I will try this in the morning and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help so far Smiley

Thanks again when i type bitcoind -server -daemon -rpcuser=hello1 -rpcpassword=hello2 -rpcport=8332
I get the error message "is not recognised etc etc"
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:46:13 AM

Navigate (using the "cd" command I explained earlier) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon (or on 32-bit Windows, that's just C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\daemon). You should be able to run bitcoind from there without any issues.
user0244

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:05:31 AM

Navigate (using the "cd" command I explained earlier) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon (or on 32-bit Windows, that's just C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\daemon). You should be able to run bitcoind from there without any issues.

Thanks done that and got this error message
incorrect rcpuser or rcpassword
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:07:33 AM

Did you create the bitcoin.conf file in your wallet directory? That's the file that sets the RPC username and password. You can just copy the "raw data" part at the bottom of this page into Notepad and save it as "bitcoin.conf" in your wallet directory (the one that's C:\Users\<your name\appdata\ etc)
user0244

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:22:02 AM

Did you create the bitcoin.conf file in your wallet directory? That's the file that sets the RPC username and password. You can just copy the "raw data" part at the bottom of this page into Notepad and save it as "bitcoin.conf" in your wallet directory (the one that's C:\Users\<your name\appdata\ etc)

Yep looks like it's working!

Thanks again!
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:22:46 AM

No problem! Very excited to find out if this works, keep me updated!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: