Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:44:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions?  (Read 213389 times)
user0244

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:34:57 AM

No problem! Very excited to find out if this works, keep me updated!

Will do at the moment i am doing all this on an old media center pc...
i3 dual core, just had a quick google and it seems high powered graphics carsd are the best
If i moved this over to a pc with a 7990 in it would the 7990 card automatically do the cracking instead of the cpu

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SP4RK7

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:13:36 AM

Hi and thanks for all your work so far.

I've just managed to get this up and running so will see how it goes. I feel I may have to mess with some of the parameters in the scrypt but will leave it running for a while you never know.

Did the version you have running on your test wallet manage to find the password?
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:29:07 AM

Will do at the moment i am doing all this on an old media center pc...
i3 dual core, just had a quick google and it seems high powered graphics carsd are the best
If i moved this over to a pc with a 7990 in it would the 7990 card automatically do the cracking instead of the cpu

Using resource monitor my 3570K i5 at 4.0Ghz is only using 20%-25% not sure if there is a way to increase this let me know if you find anything
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:19:58 PM

Would anyone happen to know what I would change in the scrypt below so that it would check for between 1 and up to 3 missing characters?

The reason I'm thinking this may be the problem is, I'm using a wireless keyboard and sometimes when typing if your sat in the wrong place the keystrokes aren't always picked up.

# delete one char
  passphrase.length.times do |i|
    testphrase = passphrase.dup
    testphrase = testphrase[0,i] + testphrase[(i+1)..-1]
    list << testphrase
  end 

Thanks
KieranJones1

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:23:43 PM

Did the version you have running on your test wallet manage to find the password?
Yes!

Would anyone happen to know what I would change in the scrypt below so that it would check for between 1 and up to 3 missing characters?

The reason I'm thinking this may be the problem is, I'm using a wireless keyboard and sometimes when typing if your sat in the wrong place the keystrokes aren't always picked up.

# delete one char
  passphrase.length.times do |i|
    testphrase = passphrase.dup
    testphrase = testphrase[0,i] + testphrase[(i+1)..-1]
    list << testphrase
  end 

Thanks
Checking for three missing characters will force the program to try an almost incomprehensibly high number of solutions, since those characters could appear anywhere in the password. Even if such a script exists, I think you'd be looking at several months of constant bruteforcing before it found a password.

Did it try all combinations for your password?
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:28:18 PM

No not yet but it has only been running for a couple of hours I will leave it running for as long as needs be.

Would that list of possible passwords be as high if it was only searching for those missing 3? i.e not searching for 1 extra character or adjacent characters etc all at the same time?
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:35:35 PM

No not yet but it has only been running for a couple of hours I will leave it running for as long as needs be.

Would that list of possible passwords be as high if it was only searching for those missing 3? i.e not searching for 1 extra character or adjacent characters etc all at the same time?
It would still be very, very high, but yeah, if you're sure that adding/deleting/swapping characters isn't the problem, I guess you could remove those parts from the brute.rb script.

I'm afraid I'm not competent in Ruby (my programming background is very different) so I couldn't program the script for you.

Could you explain more clearly what you mean about the wireless keyboard? Do you think you entered the password wrongly when you initially entered it to encrypt the wallet? You have to type it twice, so it's unlikely that a hardware error would result in an unintended password.
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

Its wireless with a receiver on top of the PC. Sometimes if your not sat in the correct position or the receiver has moved you can type a sentence and it wont pick certain keys up for example I may have thought I entered my password as:

but what you have actually typed will be

There is a good chance that this would have happened twice as well, It also does it sometimes if the battery is running low.

I guess I'm just trying to narrow down what mistake I made when I entered the password, and therefore narrow down the search the scrypt needs to follow
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:17:27 PM

has anyone made or thought to make a GUI for this?
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:18:02 PM

This may be wrong, but for my situation where there is a 12 character random sequence password (that I have wrote down) where any 2 characters could be missing, there aren't as many outcomes as I thought there would be I'm getting 66 outcomes. Although long winded it may be worth me trying to enter those manually. I'm not sure what that number goes up to if there are 3 though.  
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:48:47 PM

This may be wrong, but for my situation where there is a 12 character random sequence password (that I have wrote down) where any 2 characters could be missing, there aren't as many outcomes as I thought there would be I'm getting 66 outcomes. Although long winded it may be worth me trying to enter those manually. I'm not sure what that number goes up to if there are 3 though.  

It is possible that I've made an error in the math, but I'm pretty sure there are:

1 possibility if no characters are missing.

12 possibilities if 1 character is missing.

66 possibilities if 2 characters are missing.

220 possibilities if 3 characters are missing.

Therefore, if you don't know if it's 0, 1, 2, or 3 characters that are missing, then there are a total of 299 possibilities to try?
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:51:42 PM

It is possible that I've made an error in the math, but I'm pretty sure there are:

Therefore, if you don't know if it's 0, 1, 2, or 3 characters that are missing, then there are a total of 299 possibilities to try?

It's a long time since i was at school but that looks about right. I have just wrote out all 66 possibilities of my password with 2 characters missing, I'm sure it will be even more long winded typing them in, I made need to have a think before I write out all 220 pssibilities with 3 missing lol
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:04:47 PM

It's a long time since i was at school but that looks about right. I have just wrote out all 66 possibilities of my password with 2 characters missing, I'm sure it will be even more long winded typing them in, I made need to have a think before I write out all 220 pssibilities with 3 missing lol

sorry maybe I'm missing something, but where does the 12 come from for 1 char missing?
KieranJones1

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:13:24 PM

sorry maybe I'm missing something, but where does the 12 come from for 1 char missing?
If he knows the password is 12 characters long, and he has it written down, then it could be any one of those twelve characters that is missing - therefore, 12 combinations.
SP4RK7

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:43:59 PM

If he knows the password is 12 characters long, and he has it written down, then it could be any one of those twelve characters that is missing - therefore, 12 combinations.

He is right there are only 11 combinations for 12 numbers.

I've just typed 77 combinations in, 1 missing and 2 missing still no luck
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:44:48 AM

I've just typed 77 combinations in, 1 missing and 2 missing still no luck

Here's an optimized delete-only script for you.  It will try deleting up to 5 characters.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require "net/http"
require "json"

# Fill in your RPC username and password from your bitcoin.conf here.
$rpc_pass = "some-password"

passphrase = 'oops i forgot something'

def test(passphrase)
  puts passphrase.inspect
  request = Net::HTTP::Post.new("/")
  request.basic_auth "", $rpc_pass
  request.body = { method:"walletpassphrase", params:[passphrase, 1] }.to_json
  response = Net::HTTP.new("localhost", 8332).request(request)
  if response.code == "401" ; puts "Incorrect RPC user/pass" ; exit 1 ; end
  ret = JSON.parse response.body
  if ret["error"].nil? ; puts "\nFound it! #{passphrase.inspect}" ; exit ; end
  return if ret["error"]["code"] == -14 # wrong passphrase
  raise "WTF? #{ret.inspect}"
end

def del(p, n)
  p.length.times.map do |i|
    q = p[0,i] + p[(i+1)..-1]
    n > 0 ? del(q,n-1) : q
  end
end

5.times { |n| del(passphrase, n).flatten.uniq.each { |i| test i } }

puts "No luck."

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
drdejanm

Activity: 177

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:38:08 PM

Hi friends. I have big problem. I encrypted my bbq wallet in April and couple days after that I've written it down on paper. Meanwhile I was mining bbq, paying bills for electricity, lived in noisy room and finally price of my coins went up. Yesterday I wanted to send some coins and my password doesn't fit. Problem is that I am 100% that my password is ok (I know it is not but I can't handle this anymore). I use couple more passwords my whole life and none of them fit also! Is there any way that I can access my wallet or is there any hope that I will be able in future, I am not in harry to spend coins, I just can't accept the idea that I lost everything?  I've read everything you wrote on this topic but I understand nothing. I am windows user and I know how to start .exe files, everything more of that is a problem to me!
drdejanm

Activity: 177

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:38:25 PM

Hi, me again. Everything is ok. I wrote a bunch of all possible combination of my passwords  and believe it or not the right password was the last one that was on list!
Thank you anyway, without reading your posts I wouldn't come to idea to combine my passwords! Thank you!
Ecurb123

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:37:10 PM

Here is maybe a silly question, but how do I know where my bitcoind is installed? I tend to remember that I installed it after I installed the regular qt client. Right now bitcoind runs but I don't know where it's at.
rawed

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:02:16 PM

Hey there,

I got the script running but I have one problem. My password got the combination "/\" (without the ") in it and when ruby tries the different combinations the "/\" are not shown in the attemps.
so for example my pw is "hello/\" it only tries "hello". Are the "/\" just not shown or are they not tested at all? Thanks for help already Smiley

Edit: I'm quite desperate at the moment, cause I don't think I will find my PW that way ever again. Is there anyone out there who's trying different methods or is it just the same method like the ruby script but with faster hardware? I would even send my wallet.dat to a trustful person.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: