Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:23:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to Bitcoins being anonymous?  (Read 4736 times)
thallium205

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 08:10:57 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2012, 09:11:48 PM by thallium205

Steve, if I may ask, could you give me an address in that list that you do not own?  Also, did you ever receive 25 BTC from 'Bitcoineruk' or 35 BTC from 'Luke-Jr'?  

You may be surprised to know that the addresses that you think were not identified correctly are almost assuredly yours... But I would be very interested to know if some of them had no relationship to you. 

EDIT: removed the sending values...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 08:16:36 PM

Steve, if I may ask, could you give me an address in that list that you do not own?

Ackbar says NO!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 08:21:18 PM

Steve, are you sure the addresses you say you don't control aren't just change addresses that you're not seeing on the interface, but still yours?
thallium205

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 08:23:38 PM

Steve, are you sure the addresses you say you don't control aren't just change addresses that you're not seeing on the interface, but still yours?

^ this
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 09:35:20 PM

I'm sure.  I checked against all addresses, even the change…I certainly didn't go through all of these addresses by hand, I dumped them using RPC and checked the list against that.

Quote from: thallium205
Steve, if I may ask, could you give me an address in that list that you do not own?
Well, considering your inclination to post your findings in such a public place, no.  But, I am glad you're trying to determine just exactly what kind of analysis is possible.  Wouldn't the gap be explained simply by the fact that there are people I transact with that no one on these forums would even know exists?

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 09:37:18 PM

He will make something worse than posting such findings in a public place. No point on helping him to fine tune his script. Ofcourse you can be lying to him just to make him think his script has a problem lol
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 10:01:08 PM

I'm sure.  I checked against all addresses, even the change…I certainly didn't go through all of these addresses by hand, I dumped them using RPC and checked the list against that.
The RPC doesn't return the change addresses  Wink

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 10:03:59 PM

The RPC doesn't return the change addresses  Wink

Ah! You nailed it!
A pywallet wallet dump would show them, tho.
Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 10:50:16 PM

I tell reporters that Bitcoin is more private than using any other online payment method, but less private than cash (unless you know a lot about how it works under the covers and jump through several hoops to keep your identity secret).

At least you don't leave your fingerprints, DNA, and traces food and germs you ate on bitcoins. Add to that surveillance cameras and dogs. Now that I think of it cash is quite icky.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 11:07:05 PM

I tell reporters that Bitcoin is more private than using any other online payment method, but less private than cash (unless you know a lot about how it works under the covers and jump through several hoops to keep your identity secret).

At least you don't leave your fingerprints, DNA, and traces food and germs you ate on bitcoins. Add to that surveillance cameras and dogs. Now that I think of it cash is quite icky.

Don't forget blow..... I was told once that something like 90% of $20 bills would test positive for cocaine.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 11:09:25 PM

Don't forget blow..... I was told once that something like 90% of $20 bills would test positive for cocaine.

And don't forget hookers. I was told once that hookers are always paid with cash Shocked
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 11:26:31 PM

I'm going to assume they're change addresses (no time to mess with pywallet).  I didn't realize RPC doesn't list all of them…though curiously it lists more than in the UI).

I presume you're just doing a simple analysis that looks at all transactions where that address is an input and gathers all the other input address from those transactions.  That got me thinking…how would you make that more private?  Maybe you could devise a "sprinkling service" …you could craft a transaction that sent coins to wherever and then send it to the service…the service would add some additional inputs and output ...basically moving some additional coins between some wallets that the service owns.  The service could require that some coins be offered as a fee.  There's probably some way of making that work with p2sh such that the service never has access to the coins being sent.  With something like that, you could no longer assume that all the inputs of a transaction originate from the same wallet (you can't really assume that now, but I imagine nearly all transactions are like that today).

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:02:40 AM

I am not quite yet ready to open it up to active development, though my timeline is about 2 weeks from today.  

Good. the allinvain thief, mybitcoin theif, bitcoin7 thief, bitcoinica feb 2012 thief, bitcoinica (linode) thief, bitcoinica (rackspace) thief, etc., should all be shaking in their boots by now.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:33:05 AM

I am not quite yet ready to open it up to active development, though my timeline is about 2 weeks from today.  

Good. the allinvain thief, mybitcoin theif, bitcoin7 thief, bitcoinica feb 2012 thief, bitcoinica (linode) thief, bitcoinica (rackspace) thief, etc., should all be shaking in their boots by now.

Hrm... I might see a pattern already...

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
ludo0777

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 05:07:40 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I barely use blockchain and I was taking a look at it and it shows you a map of all the coins being sent in the world.
This is suppose to be all anonymous..

You can see all the transactions but you don't know who owns each address Tongue
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 05:30:20 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I barely use blockchain and I was taking a look at it and it shows you a map of all the coins being sent in the world.
This is suppose to be all anonymous..

Also what you are seeing is the TX being relayed which isn't necessarily the IP/location of the sender.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 08:18:05 PM

I use the term "private". Anonymous sounds like you have something to hide, private sounds like you have the right to hide something.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: