Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:19:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spreading bitcoin to the masses  (Read 4945 times)
InstantBTC (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 01:15:26 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2011, 04:31:35 PM by InstantBTC

SunAvatar will take over the project and do it his own way, if you donated to the address that I had posted I will return it to the address the coin was sent from.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inh

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:21:21 AM

I'll handle St. Louis, MO. with at least $50 of my own money.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:24:55 AM

aim at Memorial Day weekend at the end of May
InstantBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 01:32:21 AM

aim at Memorial Day weekend at the end of May

That is too soon I think, and it is a Monday, I think we want to aim for either a Friday night or a Saturday.

cuddlefish

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:07:10 AM

hat
EDIT: Somebody just said that writing on money might be illegal, can anybody confirm this? I'm googling around right now.

It is not.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:16:49 AM

hat
EDIT: Somebody just said that writing on money might be illegal, can anybody confirm this? I'm googling around right now.

It is not.

Yes, it is called Mutilation of national bank obligations

United States Code

TITLE 18 – CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I – CRIMES

CHAPTER 17 – COINS AND CURRENCY

§ 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

However, that shouldn't scare you.  Legality exists to continue your enslavement.  Submit or not.

By possessing papers that have graffiti on them does not imply that the defacement was by the current possessor.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 02:19:59 AM

with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued

This would have to be proven.

Still around.
cuddlefish

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:22:20 AM

hat

It is not.

Yes, it is called Mutilation of national bank obligations

United States Code

TITLE 18 – CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I – CRIMES

CHAPTER 17 – COINS AND CURRENCY

§ 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

However, that shouldn't scare you.  Legality exists to continue your enslavement.  Submit or not.

By possessing papers that have graffiti on them does not imply that the defacement was by the current possessor.

Unfit to be re-issued? Does a stamp make it unfit to be re-issued?

I don't think it does.
(therefore no intent!)
Astro

Activity: 284

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:27:09 AM

It isn't illegal by any stretch of the imagination.  There is an entire site will millions of users called wheresgeorge.com that has been doing this for years and years.  The legality of marking bills has been discussed ad nauseam on their forums.  It is perfectly legal.

Don't worry about it.
Shortline

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:37:20 AM

Why not just buy more bitcoin, approach charitable organizations whom you admire, ask them to accept btc donations? Surely Wikipedia accepting bitcoin donations would spread the word wider, faster and with less confusion than this.

eof

Activity: 156

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:44:53 AM

I am gdoteof(_home) in the forums.  There are a couple of us making a fair amount of noise in Burlington VT about bitcoin.  We don't have a big mall to drop things from, but we can figure something out.

I support this idea; but just want to touch on a little bit of politics.

The rhetoric and philosophy behind any of these campaigns should tread really lightly on the "its an investment" idea.  People love to call bitcoin a pyramid scheme and we don't want to give them any ammunition.

I heard the weusecoins.com radio commercial on that show Gavin was on tonight, and I really wasn't into the "bitcoin is going up" bit.  Don't get me wrong, I am on record saying bitcoin is going to the moon, but we need to push the freedom, rights, etc.. issue.

Really, I just think people should be aware that there are enemies of bitcoin already, and they will only get more vehement as we grow stronger and those that emotionally support the state will grow more hostile toward us.  I hope that doesn't happen, but I think it will.

In that light, I think we should be very careful, even in our forum discussions about both the rhetoric we use, and the actual intentions we have.  Everyone wants to get rich, but we also want a currency that *empowers people*, and bitcoin has a real chance at becoming that on a large scale.  Bitcoins success == a much more fair world than we have now.

Getting rich making the world a better place is wonderful, but if you're going to propagandize, please please please do it with the intention of making the world a better place.
inh

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:52:34 AM

eof everything you said just reinforces that we need another or a better weusecoins.com video up, but there's already another thread for that.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:54:11 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am on record saying bitcoin is going to the moon, but we need to push the freedom, rights, etc.. issue.

Well damn, every time I've mentioned anything along those lines I get slammed for being a fanatical anarchist. So, you should even be careful promoting it that way.
InstantBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 02:57:48 AM

Derp. Somebody made a good point above, happy days. Continue discussing and thanks for showing your support

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:09:02 AM

July 4th,

Independence Day would be poignant given the history of the previous breaking from the clutches of the banking and currency cartel ... how many malls open though?

Maybe do it at the big fireworks rallies many towns and cities have?

inh

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:13:24 AM

July 4th,

Independence Day would be poignant given the history of the previous breaking from the clutches of the banking and currency cartel ... how many malls open though?

Maybe do it at the big fireworks rallies many towns and cities have?

Agreed! As far as I know most everywhere is open for the 4th..
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:15:35 AM

July 4th

That's a good idea. If you get slammed for being a freedom lover in the U.S. on the 4th of July, something is wrong. That is a fantastic day to remind people what freedom is all about.
InstantBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 03:23:15 AM

July 4th

That's a good idea. If you get slammed for being a freedom lover in the U.S. on the 4th of July, something is wrong. That is a fantastic day to remind people what freedom is all about.

I love the idea behind it, but as long as I am respectful to the dollar, which I will be, I am not breaking any laws it would seem. I need to pay mind to all security marks and all that fun stuff and make sure that I am being totally respectful of the dollar itself, and make sure that the mark that I put on them is tasteful and will not render it unfit to serve as a legal tender of the USA.

Now to the date, the 4th sounds nice, I like that idea, but does anybody actually go to the mall on the 4th of July? I've never been to a mall on the 4th of July so I don't know if they are crowded on that day.

Anonymous

May 19, 2011, 04:08:12 AM

Someone going to film this for youtube ?

Flashmob ftw.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 04:29:42 AM

A bunch of bitcoiners should gather with bitcoin memorabilia/merchandise/wearables/holdables
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: