Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:04:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VTR] vTorrent - Share with freedom | 2FA | HD | @Bittrex  (Read 436015 times)
ik_do

Activity: 522
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:27:17 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2017, 09:38:45 AM by ik_do

The dev views this forum pretty much every day. If he wasn't convinced to communicate more with the first 680 complaints about it, what is the point of continually repeating the same request? I agree with the guy who said wtf have you people been doing there have been waves to play on this coin, but you sit and hold those bags and hope and pray and rant and rave, maybe something will change, eh? Just one more pleading request and I'm sure the dev will finally come around and help you out. Lol...

This is a coin you put 1% or less of your bankroll in if you don't have any insider advantage - hell it has never had the volume to even tempt me into doing more than that. If you freeze like a deer in headlights trying to manage losing positions instead of cutting them and changing strategies, just save yourself the heartache and put your money into index funds so you can sleep at night.
All hes doing is making your point clearer for inexperienced people? If you only check forum you might see the project is likely to be abondened, but in a lot of cases the dev is active on slack or something, this is just a statement from the guy who started(?) the slack, dev is afk.

This is one of the main points. There are numerous people over the months who have come into riot and Slack clearly thinking this is a fully formed project and who obviously haven't read the thread in any detail. The OP hasn't really been updated with any sort of clear indication of when things will be released and this shit is like 600 pages long so no one is going to read it.

There have also been several attempts more recently to systematically pump and dump the coin. I'm of the opinion that the market cannot support it at the current price and it would end up collapsing the price far, far lower than it currently is.

The only reason the price ever went above the 1-2k range is that a few people did things like develop a website and work on PR-related stuff. That would've been the best time for the dev to actually step up and communicate more, but he hasn't really done so.

If you've been around long enough and seen enough pump and dumps then you know that without some form of information from the dev this project will end up with prices way, way below what it is right now. With or without me doing or saying anything.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cinogrin

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 05:06:44 PM

I can understand all of your points (except one) and I've been trading crypto heavily for 4 years, so I have plenty of market awareness with altcoin projects as this market has allowed me to change my life drastically in those 4 years.

The part I don't get is this claim about time spent. I have less than 1% invested in this coin. As such, a comparable amount of time goes into it. Investing more than you can afford to lose does not only refer to liquid capital it also refers to time, attention, emotion, etc. You are too deep in this my friend, it is painfully obvious. Even if you're up in capital, you're still obviously over-exposed in other ways because you are seemingly very emotionally invested in this coin. The tone of your posts makes that quite clear. You fucked up, you're in too deep one way or another.

The writing has been on the wall for so so many months here. This is a hail mary. This is a long shot. Treat it as such IMO, anything else is asking for trouble and distress like you and Dog find yourselves in. You probably think it's for very different reasons, but really it's the same - you both over-invested in one way or another according to the risk of this project.

To the point about new people not reading threads... fuck em. I don't have sympathy for gamblers who can't be arsed to spend 20 minutes to learn about the game they're wanting to play. I can understand having a vendetta against the VTR dev, though, so if that's your motivation I get it I guess. See my post history regarding SPR's trash dev. Wink
ik_do

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:12:38 PM

I can understand all of your points (except one) and I've been trading crypto heavily for 4 years, so I have plenty of market awareness with altcoin projects as this market has allowed me to change my life drastically in those 4 years.

The part I don't get is this claim about time spent. I have less than 1% invested in this coin. As such, a comparable amount of time goes into it. Investing more than you can afford to lose does not only refer to liquid capital it also refers to time, attention, emotion, etc. You are too deep in this my friend, it is painfully obvious. Even if you're up in capital, you're still obviously over-exposed in other ways because you are seemingly very emotionally invested in this coin. The tone of your posts makes that quite clear. You fucked up, you're in too deep one way or another.

The writing has been on the wall for so so many months here. This is a hail mary. This is a long shot. Treat it as such IMO, anything else is asking for trouble and distress like you and Dog find yourselves in. You probably think it's for very different reasons, but really it's the same - you both over-invested in one way or another according to the risk of this project.

To the point about new people not reading threads... fuck em. I don't have sympathy for gamblers who can't be arsed to spend 20 minutes to learn about the game they're wanting to play. I can understand having a vendetta against the VTR dev, though, so if that's your motivation I get it I guess. See my post history regarding SPR's trash dev. Wink

Fully agreed. I don't know that I'm specifically that emotionally invested in this project, but I was hoping for something around blockchain/file sharing tech.

Having said that I've also invested in a few other semi-related projects which I'm hoping will deliver this "holy grail"
DogTheHunter

Activity: 784
Merit: 272

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:41:12 PM

Having said that I've also invested in a few other semi-related projects which I'm hoping will deliver this "holy grail"

Sold up all or vast majority of VTR (won't confirm he didn't), now here creating fud in order to prepare the groundwork to shill other coins  Roll Eyes

Oh, no. I'm really here to protect you all from yourselves.

GTFO already.
badinvesterguy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:44:39 PM

Sold up all or vast majority of VTR (won't confirm he didn't), now here creating fud in order to prepare the groundwork to shill other coins  Roll Eyes

GTFO already.
Yeah, all money going into this project making sure all those others wont succeed
ik_do

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 10:21:26 PM

GTFO already.

Mainly because you accused me of it and didn't really ask. And yes, I have sold a fair amount not only recently but over quite a while. I'm not sure its an important question to ask anyone because it'd be impossible to tell whether they're being honest or not anyway.

The dev still hasn't even replied (he did log in today and then immediately logged out about 30 seconds later) so your guess is as good as mine.

I basically got to the point of seeing how much I had in a project where the dev wasn't around at all and that the risk had outweighed the benefits for me. But then again I also made a considered investment taking place over several years, this was never my only investment in any way at all. I still hold some, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this specific project.

BTW, to put into perspective how desperate people have been for answers someone on Slack actually made a script informing the channel when the dev logs in and out.

There is a possibility of finding another developer and continuing this project with the same chain but making the previous dev a distant memory, however, there's nothing set in stone about that just yet. I'll be talking to a few of the people on slack and seeing what we can do.

I'm open to contributing towards a development fund depending on which way we proceed forward which would only be something that can be worked on in the next while. This of course assumes the dev doesn't pop up again and even say a hi or send a PM to anyone.
cinogrin

Activity: 76

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:46:55 AM

There is a possibility of finding another developer and continuing this project with the same chain but making the previous dev a distant memory, however, there's nothing set in stone about that just yet. I'll be talking to a few of the people on slack and seeing what we can do.

I'm open to contributing towards a development fund depending on which way we proceed forward which would only be something that can be worked on in the next while. This of course assumes the dev doesn't pop up again and even say a hi or send a PM to anyone.

That's a much more reasonable position compared to an online petition declaring the project dead, and much more likely to have your intended result one way or another.
ik_do

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 07:58:10 PM

That's a much more reasonable position compared to an online petition declaring the project dead, and much more likely to have your intended result one way or another.

Well it's easy to call it reasonable now that the dev hasn't appeared or said a single word. Without trying to force him we would still be without any answer.
ik_do

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 08:29:43 PM

Ok so news update time:
The dev logged in two or three times during prior to the deadline and didn't say a word on this thread or any other thread. He didn't answer any PMs (of which I'm aware).

This for all intents and purposes, from what I can understand, has no interest/ability in taking this project forward any further. I'd love to be wrong, but at the end of the day I'm just calling a spade a spade.

In the meantime, there have been a few discussions about using the same blockchain with a different developer and/or doing something different with this project. There is no solid news/information/promises there so there's nothing to share just yet.

I'm waiting to have further discussions with other parties over the coming weeks and hope to have an update. Most likely in November depending on how things go.

Sorry that we didn't get better news from this, but it at least lets us know what the actual status of this dev is. If he doesn't even want to pop up and say a single word (not even to pop up and tell me to go fuck myself) then we can see that he's probably never going to update us for the rest of eternity.

Moving on, I'm declaring myself the official spokesperson of the vTorrent project and seeing as the dev isn't going to come back anytime soon and dispute that my declaration is worth solid gold.

So to reiterate/FAQ:

• Is the vTorrent project 'abandoned'?
  • The current dev appears to have no interest in updating us in any way/shape/form despite efforts to push him to do this. There is an effort to perhaps try and find another developer or development team and move the project forward using the same blockchain but no longer being dependent on the current dev.
  • All things considered, what does the current vTorrent client actually contain?
  • The vTorrent wallet is based off ShadowCoin and as such has some anonymity features as well as PoS. It has a 2FA feature that is closed source. It has no torrent features and no one that we are aware of was ever given access to any of the torrent features. The wallet contains no code directly pertaining to BitTorrent or file sharing.
  • What was the dev's roadmap?
  • The dev aimed to incorporate many features into the wallet including chat (based off riot.im), BitTorrent (namely pricing files based upon bandwidth), and in-wallet trading. He/she aimed to make the wallet a one-stop-shop / ecosystem for users who could download vTorrent and start using it with no expert cryptocurrency knowledge
  • What was the dev's schedule?
  • The dev said he was going to release a wallet soon quite a few months ago. In the time since then a lot has happened in the cryptocurrency scene including ShadowCash closing down, the Bitcoin hardfork etc. He never released this wallet
  • What evidence is there that there is actually a wallet that we just don't have access to?
  • There is a node running vTorrent 0.8.2.1 which is hosted on a Thai IP address that often shows up on the network. It is currently online, however, again no one has actual access to this wallet.
  • What complications would be involved with a chainswap?
  • We would need to discuss at length and also agree upon a newer kind of project to base this on. The dev did mention zCash at one point as being a potential option for this, but it would still need to be discussed.
  • But you can't do this! the dev is going to come back tomorrow
  • The dev has been given every opportunity and a huge amount of patience to deliver any kind of update. At the moment we're going on 3 years and have a wallet that has nothing
  • What about the dev's premine?
  • There was something like a 3% premine for the project that was intended as a bounty to anyone who could deliver a "Torrent on Blockchain" concept before the dev. This never happened.
  • Well surely someone out there must've made a BitTorrent/Bitcoin project, it's the most obvious project to do!!!
  • The only competing project which directly relates to BitTorrent on Blockchain is JoyStream which hasn't been updated in many months. They have investors and staff working on it however there is no clearly defined timeframe stating when they will deliver. As it is currently reliant on the Bitcoin blockchain it would also be a prohibatively expensive idea when it comes to thousands of small transactions. Beyond this there are no other projects. Kim.com's project uses other technologies and not specifically BitTorrent.
  • Ok, so what's the plan?
  • At the moment a few people who have been following this project for quite some time (myself included) are going to start discussing the possibilities of what we can do with the project. I've personally written off any idea of the dev returning or updating us at this point although I do not and cannot speak for anyone else. These discussions are going to take place over the coming weeks and I would hope to have an update or gameplan together before the end of the year at the latest. To be clear: there is no clear gameplan right now, there are no promises, its just a discussion with an aim of doing something with this project.
  • Ok, so you're going to be the boss of this project then?
  • No, at the moment there are no clearly defined roles for anything. I would probably invest some money in development (depending on how the current cryptocurency market goes) and give suggestions/thoughts, but there is no clear 'team'. I'm just acting as a spokesperson and trying to give everyone a clear idea of where we at when our developer doesn't seem to think its important.
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
Big Naturals

Activity: 756
Merit: 268

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 02:44:56 AM

@Dev

Just so you are aware, when JoyStream goes open source, we'll be forking it and merging it with vTorrent coin holders.

There is a developer that is happy to maintain the new chain.

The new JoyStream fork will not be building new functionality. It will be a "JoyStrem Classic" which will keep up with JoyStream releases and just merge changes as and when they are open sourced.

We'll probably have the same number of coins as vTorrent. Anyone who has VTR's can claim the same number of JoyStream Classic coins.

JoyStream Classic will likely be a PoW coin, but we'll wait and see.

JoyStream themselves are focused on Bitcoin, so we are not competing with them on Bitcoin payments.

If at some point after the first 6 to 12 months, people want to actively develop the JoyStream Classic coin, we'll pick that up as a discussion point in the future.

* We are not forking vTorrent.
* We are not changing anything to do with vTorrent
* We are not competing with vTorrent
* JoyStream Classic is not going to be the final name
* As people who own vTorrent VTR coins will get to redeem the same number of JoyStream Classic coins, we are not competing with vTorrent.
* There is no ICO

JoyStream has said they are going open source, so someone will clone it, might as well be vTorrent holders.

PM if you want to coordinate anything on this idea. We'd like to discuss adding 2FA into JoyStream Classic as a separate side project. Also PM if you have any concerns and would rather we didn't do this.

If anyone else thinks its a bad idea and would rather we didn't do this, please come and have a chat in Slack, where we've been discussing it. Or you can PM me.

Just to confirm, nothing - repeat - nothing will happen to vTorrent and no-one is taking over vTorrent.

If people don't want to claim free JoyStream Classic coins, we'll give them to the JoyStream Classic maintainer and to the vTorrent devs.

So now everyone in this thread can wait for vTorrent to release torrents and JoyStream to release torrents.

I'm not doing anything beyond advising as Helium is my priority. But as it will be a simple fork, there is not much to do.

Is the JoyStream clone idea still a possibility?
DogTheHunter

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:22:17 AM

Two coins for the price of one  Grin
DogTheHunter

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:25:30 AM

Dear all,

This project is indeed still being actively developed.

Due to nature of BitTorrent sharing, we have been experimenting with the possibility of migrating ZEC's zero-knowledge to VTR core to improve users anonymity and try to do without needing of reseting the current chain.

vTorrent 0.9.1z will be the first version to incorporate the zero-knowledge protocol and if resetting the chain is needed, there could possibly be a fork of vTorrent-Classic running by community keeping the 0.8.x chain.

There are some other plan along with this new chain, which is still being in discussion in our team.

Regards,
vTorrent

The dev actually responded positively to the classic idea.

Buy one, get one free. Smiley
ik_do

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:20:36 AM

@Dev

Just so you are aware, when JoyStream goes open source, we'll be forking it and merging it with vTorrent coin holders.

There is a developer that is happy to maintain the new chain.

The new JoyStream fork will not be building new functionality. It will be a "JoyStrem Classic" which will keep up with JoyStream releases and just merge changes as and when they are open sourced.

We'll probably have the same number of coins as vTorrent. Anyone who has VTR's can claim the same number of JoyStream Classic coins.

JoyStream Classic will likely be a PoW coin, but we'll wait and see.

JoyStream themselves are focused on Bitcoin, so we are not competing with them on Bitcoin payments.

If at some point after the first 6 to 12 months, people want to actively develop the JoyStream Classic coin, we'll pick that up as a discussion point in the future.

* We are not forking vTorrent.
* We are not changing anything to do with vTorrent
* We are not competing with vTorrent
* JoyStream Classic is not going to be the final name
* As people who own vTorrent VTR coins will get to redeem the same number of JoyStream Classic coins, we are not competing with vTorrent.
* There is no ICO

JoyStream has said they are going open source, so someone will clone it, might as well be vTorrent holders.

PM if you want to coordinate anything on this idea. We'd like to discuss adding 2FA into JoyStream Classic as a separate side project. Also PM if you have any concerns and would rather we didn't do this.

If anyone else thinks its a bad idea and would rather we didn't do this, please come and have a chat in Slack, where we've been discussing it. Or you can PM me.

Just to confirm, nothing - repeat - nothing will happen to vTorrent and no-one is taking over vTorrent.

If people don't want to claim free JoyStream Classic coins, we'll give them to the JoyStream Classic maintainer and to the vTorrent devs.

So now everyone in this thread can wait for vTorrent to release torrents and JoyStream to release torrents.

I'm not doing anything beyond advising as Helium is my priority. But as it will be a simple fork, there is not much to do.

Is the JoyStream clone idea still a possibility?

At the moment everything is a possibility. All options are being considered and I'd invite everyone to suggest any bright ideas right about now too.

In terms of JoyStream, my own personal opinion is that due to them attempting to use the Bitcoin Blockchain for transactions it is unlikely to see wide success even if/when they launch. I'd say most likely they'll end up doing an ICO or launching some form of token or using a different network, purely based on the current Bitcoin network transaction fees. Could be wrong, but that's the only way I'm seeing for them to move forward.

That doesn't discount it as any sort of option, that's just my opinion on it. Because of the high transaction fee nature of Bitcoin it could actually make it a more attractive option.
ik_do

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:24:30 AM

Dear all,

This project is indeed still being actively developed.

Due to nature of BitTorrent sharing, we have been experimenting with the possibility of migrating ZEC's zero-knowledge to VTR core to improve users anonymity and try to do without needing of reseting the current chain.

vTorrent 0.9.1z will be the first version to incorporate the zero-knowledge protocol and if resetting the chain is needed, there could possibly be a fork of vTorrent-Classic running by community keeping the 0.8.x chain.

There are some other plan along with this new chain, which is still being in discussion in our team.

Regards,
vTorrent

The dev actually responded positively to the classic idea.

Buy one, get one free. Smiley

I'm personally totally welcome to the dev showing up right about now and giving his 2 cents on a chainswap/project redirection.
ghoomp

Activity: 70

I am human

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:39:30 AM

This project has a lot of potential, I will watch it closely.
Nice work!
ik_do

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:01:36 PM

Hello all,
Today (11th October, 2017) at approximately 10:30 AM UTC the developer (username: vtorrent) logged in for a period of approximately 11 minutes.

During this time he changed his bitcointalk profile to hide his email address from public appearance (email address is vtorrent.crypto@gmail.com). Besides this change to their profile (which has been confirmed by multiple independent members of the VTR slack) they did not post any updates or respond to any private messages (to the best of my knowledge). It doesn't appear they edited the announcement post either.

Further to my previous post (link) I'm still in active discussion with numerous people who have been following this project. There is so far no clear decision or path forward, however, given the current events it is my ambition that we come to some form of consensus about how to move this project forward without the current developer who appears to have abandoned the project.

At this time I would kindly ask the community the following:
  • Please try to keep the discussion civil, sometimes things just happen. This is obviously not an ideal situation for anyone, some of us had true hope that this project would release one day and some people have invested a large amount of money and time in the hope that they'd make a return on their investment.
  • In the cryptocurrency space, this isn't a rare occurrence, numerous projects have had major setbacks by developers abandoning projects, having health/real life issues and so on. The world is an imperfect place, the main thing we should focus on is trying to work our best (if you agree of course) with trying to salvage what we can.
  • Please keep an eye out for any torrent projects that pop up as this would be of interest for not only the obvious reasons (i.e. dev running away and setting up another project) but also may be of interest from a technological perspective.

At the moment I am personally just taking on the role of a kind of spokesperson to try and do something with this project. I can't speak officially for the dev or the current project. I also am apprehensive to take on the full role of working with the future of this project, for sure I'd like to play a part in some sort of advisory role and invest money in development (depending on game plan and primarily depending on market conditions) but this would be a team effort. It would also require a significant amount of patience from everyone. There will be things that take time, effort and funds and like all projects in the cryptocurrency space there are no promises or guarantees in any way/shape/form.

Just an FYI that I'm available on slack most of the time and you can also PM me through the forums if you wish.
WilderX

Activity: 597
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:35:14 PM

I love this vaporware!

Sold my 200k VTR almost at top price wich I purchased back in 2015. Thanks!

Good luck guys  Cool

hughbt

Activity: 613
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:59:57 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2223828.40
Could this be pnoch starting his new ico project as he intended to do? Or maybe he just sold the most important part of the vtr code and left the project.

Very confident. We are on track and fully expect to have the alpha/beta versions of the app released this year into the new year, with the official release planned for early-mid next year.

They came out of nowhere and supposedly have the client ready.

I think it was a no brainer that someone goes for decentralized file sharing, but there is likely other projects trying to do this to or not? Apart from that, your success over time probably depends a lot on Ethereum's success over time in terms of scaling correct?

There are currently no other projects trying to do this right now, we are unique  Smiley. In terms of scaling, we're not too concerned that the Ethereum devs will take care of it. Token transactions can be completed very quickly even right now with all the projects out there.

Dev knows best because now he is working for upfiring.
slugmandrew

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

Everything's a bubble, idiot

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 01:12:35 PM

Doesn't make sense to switch from your own chain with privacy features to the ethereum network. Dev's skills are in Bitcoin, not Eth.

Also that project has only 50 eth invested, so I wouldn't be too excited. What are they going to do with that?

hughbt

Activity: 613
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 01:18:29 PM

Ask pnoch... ohh wait he is not going to answer. Probably sold his code and made quick buck.
Pages: « 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 »
  Print  

Jump to: