Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:42:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Trading Simulator] A fun & free Speculation Game - SWITCH TO BPI ON JULY 15 !!!  (Read 241362 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:23:08 PM

As the site is receiving it's finishing touches, I'd like to ask for some opinions on one crucial component. The starting value/amount... It can stay as $100 or the equivalent in BTC (a radio button to select your starting currency will be on the registration page), or I kind of like the idea of starting with 1 BTC or the USD equivalent at the time (again, your choice when registering). Other ideas are welcome.

Small update: This is moving right along. I've enlisted the help of a friend who knows his stuff to get the db up and running. Together we are aiming for a kickass paper trade experience. I hope it receives the type of response this game did when it first started. Smiley

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Afrikoin
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

alan watts is all you need

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:26:57 PM

As the site is receiving it's finishing touches, I'd like to ask for some opinions on one crucial component. The starting value/amount... It can stay as $100 or the equivalent in BTC (a radio button to select your starting currency will be on the registration page), or I kind of like the idea of starting with 1 BTC or the USD equivalent at the time (again, your choice when registering). Other ideas are welcome.

Small update: This is moving right along. I've enlisted the help of a friend who knows his stuff to get the db up and running. Together we are aiming for a kickass paper trade experience. I hope it receives the type of response this game did when it first started. Smiley

Awesome! Cant wait!

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:56:20 PM

Any fixed-amount for restart is subject to market behavior. Oversimplifying:

Use Case 1 - Bitcoin rallies 100x the day after the contest begins. Subsequent restarts are pointless, new investors have no chance if they were not in on day one.
Use Case 2 - Bitcoin plummets 100x the day after the contest begins. Nobody has incentive to retain their original position, and everyone restarts.

Both (extreme) cases highlight that the system is gameable, the ideal action regarding restarting is influenced heavily by past market behavior.  Look to the epoch of this game, and the period where the average investment was up. Anyone below their starting point has no penalty to just restart. Honest actors were thereby penalized.

I don't have an ideal solution, but I do think the following is less abusable.
The same rule holds for people new to the game, and those restarting (since we cannot really tell the difference).  Those investors begin with a balance equivalent to beginning somewhere between 66 and 75% down the ranked list of balances. (Maybe 66-75% of the AVERAGE() balance, whatever)

With such a rule I would be satisfied that hanging in there is always the right play, unless I have already knocked myself out of the upper half of competitors.  This would let people restart while never letting someone 'cheat' into a higher ranking.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:08:01 PM

Awesome! Cant wait!

Would you mind answering the question in the first paragraph? Tongue

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:26:13 PM

Any fixed-amount for restart is subject to market behavior. Oversimplifying:

Use Case 1 - Bitcoin rallies 100x the day after the contest begins. Subsequent restarts are pointless, new investors have no chance if they were not in on day one.
Use Case 2 - Bitcoin plummets 100x the day after the contest begins. Nobody has incentive to retain their original position, and everyone restarts.

Both (extreme) cases highlight that the system is gameable, the ideal action regarding restarting is influenced heavily by past market behavior.  Look to the epoch of this game, and the period where the average investment was up. Anyone below their starting point has no penalty to just restart. Honest actors were thereby penalized.

I don't have an ideal solution, but I do think the following is less abusable.
The same rule holds for people new to the game, and those restarting (since we cannot really tell the difference).  Those investors begin with a balance equivalent to beginning somewhere between 66 and 75% down the ranked list of balances. (Maybe 66-75% of the AVERAGE() balance, whatever)

With such a rule I would be satisfied that hanging in there is always the right play, unless I have already knocked myself out of the upper half of competitors.  This would let people restart while never letting someone 'cheat' into a higher ranking.

I agree completely! The average would be added in sometime in the near future if I don't already have it in place on launch. I would like to give a day or a week of level playing field before putting into effect, but your arguments are sound. While we shouldn't expect that kind of move overnight, even 10% moves are big enough for latecomers to take their 1BTC or $572 without any skill and be near the top of the board. So I guess it could have a decay function so that as long as the price remains fairly consistent, everyone who registers during that stability would have the same starting value whether in BTC or USD, and not based on terrible or great trading of earlier entrants. Thank you for the input!

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 12:12:38 AM

Cross post to a new thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1609114.msg16159378#msg16159378

Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 04:28:47 PM

I'm gonna give this one more bump, now that price action has finally gotten interesting.

RyNin's site fully automates the game, and eliminates 'checkins'. Now that price is actually _doing_ something, things can start to get interesting!

I hope to see many of you veterans on the other side :-)

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1609114.msg16159804#msg16159804

Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133]
  Print  

Jump to: