3.5GH Jalapeno
40GH Single
1TH Rig
Screw you BFL!
I'm sticking with FPGA/GPU
I just wanna see the results

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What ASIC did you order?  (Read 3446 times)
1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:19:00 AM

Let's see the Tally

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:00:40 AM

I'm going to stay on FPGAs until I can buy an ASIC board from somebody I feel comfortable giving my money.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:01:55 AM

yeah, Its sad how almost no one cares about monopoly in this forum
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 12:30:58 PM

yeah, Its sad how almost no one cares about monopoly in this forum
Right, such as how AMD is pretty much the only video card with acceptable support, speed, and profitability. Analogy fail. Roll Eyes

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 12:51:04 PM

So approximately 6TH coming online in October at the low end. Good for network, bad for mining profit. Sad

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Philj

Activity: 388

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 12:57:44 PM

I picked up 8 new singles and traded in 8 singles
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:06:07 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 03:28:06 PM by P4man

I dont understand why anyone would preorder these

1) BFL isnt giving any indication of how many TH they are able to sell this year or the next, nor are they saying how many preorders they already have received. How on earth are you going to estimate ROI when you cant estimate the difficulty 6 months from here within an order of magnitude?
2) you get no guarantees whatsoever, not on shipping order, not a price freeze guarantee, nothing.
2) They make no promise not to mine with their own hardware (AFAIK) or to not sell in bulk 1000s of ASICs to, say, some ambitious mining asic company ran by a UK guy with a Russian sounding name. For all I know those asics could find their way to a datacenter before anyone here gets their first jalapeno.
3) They rushed the preorder so badly, taking money so early (even though they supposedly got a VC capital injection), ...  one has to wonder if they know something we dont.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone that ordered. I predict a financial bloodbath.

AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:08:47 PM

I predict a lot of pissed off people with pre orders...

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:12:08 PM

dont worry, the end is near says the Mayan... maybe before the reward halv Cheesy
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:23:56 PM

dont worry, the end is near says the Mayan... maybe before the reward halv Cheesy

Actually I think its the other way around. Especially if they can deliver product then it could be in November.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:30:50 PM

I dont understand why anyone would preorder when

1) BFL isnt giving any indication of how many TH they are able to sell this year or the next, nor are they saying how many preorders they already have received. How on earth are you going to estimate ROI when you cant estimate the difficulty 6 months from here within an order of magnitude?
2) you get no guarantees whatsoever, not on shipping order, not a price freeze guarantee, nothing.
2) They make no promise not to mine with their own hardware (AFAIK) or to not sell in bulk 1000s of ASICs to, say, some ambitious mining asic company ran by a UK guy with a Russian sounding name. For all I know those asics could find their way to a datacenter before anyone here gets their first jalapeno.
3) They rushed the preorder so badly, taking money so early (even though they supposedly got a VC capital injection), ...  one has to wonder if they know something we dont.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone that ordered. I predict a financial bloodbath.

If there's going to be a financial bloodbath, it will be much worse for those investing in new GPUs or FPGAs. We know that ASIC is the future of mining. Whatever the ROI turns out to be for early adopters of ASICs, odds are it will be much better than it is for later adopters. So far, the history of mining has favored early adopters, and I don't see any reason to think this is going to change. But it is risky for sure. Personally, I think the biggest risk for those investing in ASICs is if sha 256 is compromised. GPU and FPGA miners could adapt, but ASIC miners would need new hardware, their old hardware becoming useless. I don't know how likely this is or how soon it could happen, but it is a possibility.  
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:32:18 PM

I pre-ordered 6 the trade in option. I plan to order more this week when some more coins come in.  My order number is 1916 Tongue
schnell

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:33:10 PM

:/ With so many 1th rigs, someone can easily spend around 200k dollars and 51% the hell out of us.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:41:53 PM

:/ With so many 1th rigs, someone can easily spend around 200k dollars and 51% the hell out of us.

BFL has stated that they will refuse any orders that are in danger of giving 51%+ to any individual. You could reject that as BS, but BFL does have a vested interest in Bitcoin, so I doubt they are lying about this. 
schnell

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:45:06 PM

BFL has stated that they will refuse any orders that are in danger of giving 51%+ to any individual. You could reject that as BS, but BFL does have a vested interest in Bitcoin, so I doubt they are lying about this. 
So basically its one per address.
What if I ordered one to 10 of my friends addresses?
How would they know it would be all me? I would order from their house and everything.

All I hope is that they have a few 1Th rigs themselves and will mine with them if anyone starts an attempt to %1%.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:54:50 PM

How would they know it would be all me? I would order from their house and everything.

All I hope is that they have a few 1Th rigs themselves and will mine with them if anyone starts an attempt to %1%.

I think they're gonna ship out smaller items first, to raise the network hashspeed before they ship out a shitton of 1TH units. They have also said they don't want any one person (or group of people) profiting any more than another (within their customer base - if you're not a customer, then you're SOL).

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
schnell

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:02:06 PM

I think they're gonna ship out smaller items first, to raise the network hashspeed before they ship out a shitton of 1TH units. They have also said they don't want any one person (or group of people) profiting any more than another (within their customer base - if you're not a customer, then you're SOL).
They don't want it.
They wouldn't know if it was from different ip's to different addresses.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:18:33 PM

They've stated that there will be 3 separate production lines for each unit, and the first shipment, which will go out at the same time, will include all 3 types of units. If someone shipping to multiple addresses wanted to grab 51%, they would have had to order at least 13 mini rigs = $390,000. And this assumes they would get *all* of the first shipment, which is impossible since 1/3 is going to randomly selected orders from the first month, and 1/3 is going to the exchange program for FPGA units. Given this, it would be virtually impossible for any single individual, no matter how many distinct addresses they had to ship to, and no matter how much money they had, to get half the hashing power of the first shipment. File this 51% worry under "foil hat."
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:54:34 PM

They've stated that there will be 3 separate production lines for each unit, and the first shipment, which will go out at the same time, will include all 3 types of units. If someone shipping to multiple addresses wanted to grab 51%, they would have had to order at least 13 mini rigs = $390,000. And this assumes they would get *all* of the first shipment, which is impossible since 1/3 is going to randomly selected orders from the first month, and 1/3 is going to the exchange program for FPGA units. Given this, it would be virtually impossible for any single individual, no matter how many distinct addresses they had to ship to, and no matter how much money they had, to get half the hashing power of the first shipment. File this 51% worry under "foil hat."

well said

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 03:38:04 PM

Looks like 10TH coming online as a lowball guess.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: