Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:28:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Separate messages ASIC and FPGA already!  (Read 3096 times)
aTg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 10:53:42 AM

It opened this forum to post on separate GPU and FPGA and is now flooded with shit about imaginary ASICs.
Please moderators, open a subforum for ASICs though not exist, we want to read quietly FPGA forum, thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:17:40 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 04:12:53 PM by SysRun

Agreed, ASIC is not the same as FPGA, its time to make a sub-category ASIC!

(edit: I have revised my original position. The labeling is dubious. At the very least we should get the ASIC posts out of FPGA.)

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 03:11:36 PM

Agreed, ASIC is not the same as FPGA, its time to make a sub-category ASIC!

Ditto !
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 10:06:29 PM

Or even give BFL its own sub-forum...so we have something to watch when the shit-storm ensues.

I agree with this even more Wink

Get your popcorn ready folks !

Can we please have an ASIC forum !
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 10:07:37 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 11:42:22 PM by eldentyrell

I propose we create a subforum "Mining > Hardware > Speculative" and empower admins to relocate to this subforum any thread dealing with stuff that isn't currently available for third-party verification.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 10:08:22 PM

I propose we create a subforum "Mining > Hardware > Speculative" and empower admins to relocate to this subforum any thread dealing with stuff that isn't currently available for third-party verification.

I have seconded this once, I shall do it again.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 02:12:22 AM

Ask theymos.

rampone

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

dafq is goin on

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 04:53:08 PM

Yes, seperate ASIC and FPGA in the forum. Its utterly cluttered in the fpga section now.

(anyone thought of a hashing algorithm that uses sha256 first and something only fpga and gpu/cpu can hash after it. Kind of an hybrid hashing solution, making it harder for anyone to take over the network, because you would need fast sha256 hardware and hardware for the second hash alogorithm, still owuld pose a change on the ahhing algorithm, but better than just leaving asics out....)

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 10:12:17 AM

Agree.  Can we please separate BFL or "developing products" from the FPGA section?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:33:56 AM

I agree with this notion

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:49:39 AM

I don't like the idea of creating "Speculative" or "BFL" sections, as they are very specific to this situation. I want sections to be more general.

I don't follow the mining scene at all anymore. What FPGA mining hardware and ASIC mining hardware is available now, and what are the fundamental differences between these two technologies? I don't remember why this section is called "FPGA" rather than "ASIC" (which is better-suited for mining IIRC) or just "custom hardware".

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:03:43 AM

I don't like the idea of creating "Speculative" or "BFL" sections, as they are very specific to this situation. I want sections to be more general.

I don't follow the mining scene at all anymore. What FPGA mining hardware and ASIC mining hardware is available now, and what are the fundamental differences between these two technologies? I don't remember why this section is called "FPGA" rather than "ASIC" (which is better-suited for mining IIRC) or just "custom hardware".

Hm I think a nice compromise would be to add "and ASIC" to the FPGA section to read "FPGA & ASIC"

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:06:38 AM

Renamed to custom hardware for now. If you think it should be split, tell me why.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:08:04 AM

Why ? becasue the subject related to GPUs, fpga, and asics are far from being the same.

Gpu = general computing
Fpga = soldering, programing
Asic = big business, VLSI, chip manufacturing, licensing

There is no reason to add an ASIC sub beside FPGA as there is a reason to name one CPU, other than for historical reasons.

You should rename FPGA to Custom Hardware / development right now and ponder on adding a "Mining speculation" sub.

Mining speculation would discuss scenarios of the mining ecosystem, (the discutions possiblility are endless, )  Take for example : The mining market balance https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88766.0

DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:08:15 AM

Renamed to custom hardware for now. If you think it should be split, tell me why.

I'm against the split, but it should be FPGA/ASIC, custom is too vague

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:13:11 AM

I would also add a GPU section because free electricity kids will be mining on their high end GPU to the end of time and will forever to be an annoyance to the community.  (sorry to sound ageist)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:13:44 AM

Mining speculation would discuss scenario to the mining ecosystem, (the discutions possiblility are endless, )  Take for example : The mining market balance https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88766.0

Good idea. Done.

What topics count as "custom hardware" that shouldn't be in this section?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:15:00 AM

I would also add a GPU section because free electricity kids will be mining on their high end GPU to the end of time and will forever to be an annoyance to the community.  (sorry to sound ageist)

This is what the top-level Hardware section is for, I think.

DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:16:35 AM

Mining speculation would discuss scenario to the mining ecosystem, (the discutions possiblility are endless, )  Take for example : The mining market balance https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88766.0

Good idea. Done.

Its just non-obvious.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:19:49 AM

Good idea. Done.

Its just non-obvious.
Custom could also be defined as dedicated.

Granted FPGA chips are polyvalent but their implementation make them dedicated miners.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: