Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:32:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PorcFest 2012 -- Biggest Bitcoin event ever  (Read 17932 times)
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 01:53:02 PM

I have nothing against religion. It's just depressing when people get focused on the fine details and differences between peoples, instead of looking at the bigger picture and thinking how we can make things better for all. Details that cause killing between one group of brown people that pray to a wall and another group of brown people to pray to a black rock - both the same people.

Well Carl Sagan says it better than I do, and this video often tears me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

very good video.
there is however no "all", not for the people we are right now. we look for every possible way to distinguish ourselves from others and form groups. religion, ideals, race, football club, it really doesnt matter. as long as there is "us" and "them" and we belong somewhere. somewhere way smaller than a pale blue dot. because that is how small humanity is right now.
you could strip us all naked of all religions, cloth, ideals and opinions and we would scratch As and Bs into our skin and the alphas would fight the betas and vice versa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 02:04:54 PM

Stop discussing Satan!  Angry

Let discuss bitcoin! Like, why didn't the bitinstant guy record a session? Next time, record some video!

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 03:57:01 PM

LaVey Satanism is extreme individualism.

AynRandism is extreme individualism.

Hence the connection I guess.

> Perhaps most are unaware of the connection, though LaVey wasn’t shy about admitting his debt to his inspiration. “I give people Ayn Rand with trappings,” he once told the Washington Post. On another occasion he acknowledged that his brand of Satanism was “just Ayn Rand’s philosophy with ceremony and ritual added.” Indeed, the influence is so apparent that LaVey has been accused of plagiarizing part of his “Nine Satanic Statements” from the John Galt speech in Rand’s Atlas Shrugged.

Devotees of Rand may object to my outlining the association between the two. They will say I am proposing “guilt by association,” a form of the ad hominem fallacy. But I am not attacking Rand for the overlap of her views with LaVey’s; I am saying that, at their core, they are the same philosophy. LaVey was able to recognize what many conservatives fail to see: Rand’s doctrines are satanic. <
  - http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2011/06/the-fountainhead-of-satanism

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 04:23:12 PM

Let discuss bitcoin! Like, why didn't the bitinstant guy record a session? Next time, record some video!

Yeah... not likely. Once a thread is derailed, it's as easy to get it back on track as is a train.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 05:30:30 PM

Yeah... not likely. Once a thread is derailed, it's as easy to get it back on track as is a train.

At least without a moderator Sad
I guess I would close this thread and suggest to start a new one if there is anything more to say about PorcFest2012 and a *different* one if there is anything more to say about Satan.

There certainly is someone at JP Morgue tasked wtih keeping an eye on Bitcoin and this thread is probably going to be exhibit #1 in their next report describing why Bitcoin isn't a threat to the banksters bonuses just yet.

But that's how decentralization works.  And that's why Reddit is useful (downvote the comments from trolls) and Facebook is useful (censor the trolls) and Twitter is useful (follow those who don't troll), and the Bitcoin-development mailing list is useful (no trolling) and IRC is useful (where nearly anything goes). 

We aren't forced to use BitcoinTalk, but because some of the most engaging and necessary conversation occurs, this is where we spend a good amount of our time.  (averaging over 300K page views each day, lately.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 06:19:01 PM

This religion trolling sucks

Bring your religion spam elsewhere please.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 06:30:09 PM

Final write-up on the event:

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/6/27/porcfest-2012-bitinstant-and-the-bernanke-bitcoin-exchange.html

I left out the satanism  Wink
punningclan

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 08:08:45 PM

In the multiverse we're all Gods!
Fuck every other idea or die in a Closed Time Loop.
Apatheists are much more fun to party with anyway!  Cool

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
FTL_Ian

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 08:42:38 PM

Good one - I reposted it to Free Keene.   Cool
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 08:48:11 PM

Nice post!

Can't wait to listen to the interviews. FTL + Bitcoin always gets me motivated.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

How the fuck did I miss this thread, and why didn't I put it on my calendar when I first learned about this event a few months back? Chances were that there was no way I could have gotten away from here to attend, but that's besides the point. I'm glad to hear that it was a successful event and look forward to reading this entire thread, as well as evoorhees article and the audio/videos.

~Bruno~
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 12:51:49 AM

How the fuck did I miss this thread, and why didn't I put it on my calendar when I first learned about this event a few months back? Chances were that there was no way I could have gotten away from here to attend, but that's besides the point. I'm glad to hear that it was a successful event and look forward to reading this entire thread, as well as evoorhees article and the audio/videos.

~Bruno~

Your losing it Bruno!!

you have let me down old friend...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 01:53:29 AM

In October in San Diego is Libertopia 12 (October 11-14, 2012).

- http://libertopia.org/festival

Are there any other gatherings or clusters of Bitcoiners?

I also see in Las Vegas, July 11-14, 2012:

Freedom Fest
 - http://freedomfest.com/keynote-speakers/
 - http://freedomfest.com/all-other-speakers/

Looks generally focused on banking, investment and politics.

Some interesting presenters, including:
 - Tom Woods (@ThomasEWoods)
 - Jeff Berwick (@DollarVigilante)
 - Bob Prechter (@RobertPrechter) (Elliot Wave theory creator)

Then in August in Florida right before the RNC are two Libertarian events:

- http://musicians4freedom.com/2012/06/ron-paul-supporters-now-working-on-two-pre-rnc-festivals

On August  24, 25 and 26, 2012 at the Fairgrounds in Tampa:

- http://paulfestival.org

Also on Augh 24-26 in Polk County (near Tampa):

- http://www.freedomfestival2012.com

And I almost forgot, ... there's probably a few Bitcoiners that are gonig to be at Burning Man:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74963.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 07:27:45 AM

Oh man.... If I saw Mary Ruwart buying ice cream with Bitcoins..... wife would've preemptively slapped me. Thanks for sharing!

I thought you were talking about the bit-pay model, but a climate change skeptic?! No thanks..

Looks like a lot fun. Though I'd be a little worried about getting into drug-fueled political/religious discussions with people walking around "open carrying" Cheesy

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 08:41:32 AM

Oh man.... If I saw Mary Ruwart buying ice cream with Bitcoins..... wife would've preemptively slapped me. Thanks for sharing!

I thought you were talking about the bit-pay model, but a climate change skeptic?! No thanks..
Wat?
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 09:02:58 AM

Wat?

I didn't know who you were talking about and assumed it was one of the bit-pay spokesmodel girls. But when I looked up Mary Ruwart, I learned that she served on the board of a chapter of the Heartland Institute, and concluded that she's a climate change skeptic. Big turn-off, even if she doesn't look bad for her age.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 09:34:42 AM

Wat?

I didn't know who you were talking about and assumed it was one of the bit-pay spokesmodel girls. But when I looked up Mary Ruwart, I learned that she served on the board of a chapter of the Heartland Institute, and concluded that she's a climate change skeptic. Big turn-off, even if she doesn't look bad for her age.
I was curious about this... (could this thread possibly go more off-topic?) so looked into this, being unaware of the Heartland Institute, but fairly familiar with Mary Ruwart. She serves as a policy adviser for their healthcare issues, which makes sense given that's her primary focus and I've never in my life heard her speak on climate change.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 10:45:11 AM

Wat?

I was curious about this... (could this thread possibly go more off-topic?) so looked into this, being unaware of the Heartland Institute, but fairly familiar with Mary Ruwart. She serves as a policy adviser for their healthcare issues, which makes sense given that's her primary focus and I've never in my life heard her speak on climate change.

With what is hopefully the last digression on this line, at least, her book, “Healing Our World” can be found, along with other very good ones, for free here: http://freekeene.com/about/books/

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 02:21:14 PM

Wat?

You buy into all that government fear mongering? Global warming fear mongering for the left, terrorism fear mongering for the right. Government growth for all!

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
kiba
Legendary

Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 03:15:28 PM

You buy into all that government fear mongering? Global warming fear mongering for the left, terrorism fear mongering for the right. Government growth for all!

I sense a DERAILMENT!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: