Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:53:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleanup: I'll attack some coins - I owned APEXcoin for 90 blocks  (Read 17218 times)
cynicSOB (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 02:48:56 PM

preliminary results for NXT: only by buying and staking (and ignoring other's people blocks with a one-line modification to the code), you need about 20% of the supply for immediate owning of all the forging blocks.

I think properties can be gamed to lower that value but I want to check this carefully before actually announcing it....

For more secure coins: 1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
For the lulz:1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 02:53:43 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2015, 03:16:11 PM by Daedelus

preliminary results for NXT: only by buying and staking (and ignoring other's people blocks with a one-line modification to the code), you need about 20% of the supply for immediate owning of all the forging blocks.

I think properties can be gamed to lower that value but I want to check this carefully before actually announcing it....

The Nxt network predicts who is next to forge (aka Transparent Forging). How did you get around this?

If the network sees you are forging blocks when it isn't your turn, then the  rest of the network will blacklist you (at least this is the last implementation I know of) and automatically reject your bad blocks.

You can see Transparent Forging live in action here: http://188.138.33.10/

This picture shows potential forgers sorted in chronological order (red ones are those who skipped their turn).
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:16:02 PM

Please provide more details.

Around 20% would be quite a lot, or if I may say, with the current total amount of stake forging around 23% of stake would give you a shot at a 51% attack. (source for forging stake number: http://nxtexplorer.com/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=160)
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:19:02 PM

Please provide more details.

Around 20% would be quite a lot, or if I may say, with the current total amount of stake forging around 23% of stake would give you a shot at a 51% attack. (source for forging stake number: http://nxtexplorer.com/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=160)

I think current amount forging is more like 45,7% atm
Curr. Avg. Peer Forging   :   457,058,786 NXT
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:24:35 PM

hi achim  Wink

I assumed 457 mio. = 45.7% = total forging stake

therefore 23% of (total) stake = enough to make 51% of total forging stake

(Could be that this math is completely wrong... and since I need to run and achimsmile is way smarter anyway...
all you readers listen to what he says)
Daedelus

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:30:11 PM

I read it the same way as achimsmile, I think a comma/fullstop/words were missing in your rush  Grin

"Around 20% would be quite a lot, or if I may say, with the current total amount of stake forging. So around 23% of stake would give you a shot at a 51% attack as there is about 45% of the stake forging at the moment."

I think ^ is what you meant. But it read as though only 23% of people were forging.
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:40:51 PM

hi achim  Wink

I assumed 457 mio. = 45.7% = total forging stake

therefore 23% of (total) stake = enough to make 51% of total forging stake

(Could be that this math is completely wrong... and since I need to run and achimsmile is way smarter anyway...
all you readers listen to what he says)

Yes, all clear now. Sorry, my nickname sucks on bct  Cheesy
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:52:07 PM

I read it the same way as achimsmile, I think a comma/fullstop/words were missing in your rush  Grin

"Around 20% would be quite a lot, or if I may say, with the current total amount of stake forging. So around 23% of stake would give you a shot at a 51% attack as there is about 45% of the stake forging at the moment."

I think ^ is what you meant. But it read as though only 23% of people were forging.

Isn't this more or less exactly what's expected? You need around half of the total staking power to attack?
cynicSOB (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 05:20:49 PM

I read it the same way as achimsmile, I think a comma/fullstop/words were missing in your rush  Grin

Isn't this more or less exactly what's expected? You need around half of the total staking power to attack?

Yes, that's it.

Some simple questions about nxt so I don't have to look them up:

1) Is transparent forging really implemented? I thought not

2) Is https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt the latest source code? if not, where do I find it? do I really have to decompile Java?

3) If account A transfers some amount to account B (which was already verified) at block N, can B use that stake to forge block N+1? if not, when will it become part of B's effective balance?

4) Is re-leasing possible? if A leases to B, can B re-lease to C without approval from A?

5) which is the best place to ask these questions? nxtforums? which section?

Thanks!

For more secure coins: 1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
For the lulz:1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
Daedelus

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 05:33:38 PM

Bolded

I read it the same way as achimsmile, I think a comma/fullstop/words were missing in your rush  Grin

Yes, that's it.

Some simple questions about nxt so I don't have to look them up:

1) Is transparent forging really implemented? I thought not

The part that allows you to predict the next block is, you should be able to confirm this yourself using the tool above. TF is several interlocking bits so you can't really pick a point and say "that's when TF began". And not all of it is implemented yet.

2) Is https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt the latest source code? if not, where do I find it? do I really have to decompile Java?

I believe so. Every version ships with the source code in the 'src' folder so you could use that for the latest version. Not sure it is in as usable format though

3) If account A transfers some amount to account B (which was already verified) at block N, can B use that stake to forge block N+1? if not, when will it become part of B's effective balance?

You have to wait for N+1440 blocks before it counts in B's effective balance again. You can't broadcast a transaction, move the Nxt, broadcast again in the next block in a new account, move, broadcast move etc. using the same NXT.

4) Is re-leasing possible? if A leases to B, can B re-lease to C without approval from A?

No

5) which is the best place to ask these questions? nxtforums? which section?

Nxtforum is best.

Technical general questions: https://nxtforum.org/general/
Transparent Forging: https://nxtforum.org/transparent-forging/

Thanks!

You're welcome. Keep it up!

Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:15:48 PM

When you find the right moment, 51% is not much. Attacker can close the mint lock and wait.
Most POS coins have an indication showing if blocks are ready. You need one single block with a high amount of matured coins.
You can check that in coincontrol, so no additional coding is needed for this hack.

Question: Is this possible?

If the network is able to detect such a superstaking, it can prohibit or shift transactions.
Network could calculate the average difficulty of the last X blocks or since the last checkpoint +-15%. Everything above is not valid and transactions or the confirmation process have to wait till the diff get normalized. The attacker (or the stakeholder) would get his interest, but that's all.

Cheers,
Ray
Daedelus

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:21:41 PM

Which POS implementation are you referring to Ray? There is a lot of vocabulary in you first paragraph that seems to imply Peercoin family. What is a matured coin?
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:26:45 PM

Which POS implementation are you referring to Ray? There is a lot of vocabulary in you first paragraph that seems to imply Peercoin family. What is a matured coin?
Yes, I am talking about Peercoin derivates.
With matured I mean an aged block which is ready for minting.

Cheers,
Ray
Daedelus

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:36:25 PM

Ok. I can't answer for Peercoin family  Smiley
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 06:47:02 PM

Yes, I am talking about Peercoin derivates.
With matured I mean an aged block which is ready for minting.

Cheers,
Ray

NXT doesn't have such a system for example.

Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:58:21 PM

Agreed. But many other coins have it.
I am sure NXT is relatively safe against that kind of attack.

Interesting thread btw.

Cheers
fenghush

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 07:03:51 PM

Wouldn't the destruction of shitty PoS coins be faster if you show everyone how to do it, than to spend your own resources?

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 07:11:12 PM

Wouldn't the destruction of shitty PoS coins be faster if you show everyone how to do it, than to spend your own resources?

He has shown how he owned APEX.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Kaspa

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 07:16:09 PM

yay we have the right to destroy peoples work, decide which coins are "shitcoins" and which ones are "good", which coins have potential or should just be killed... cause we're a bunch of   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

notice how most true shitcoins die off on their own Wink

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 07:26:18 PM

yay we have the right to destroy peoples work, decide which coins are "shitcoins" and which ones are "good", which coins have potential or should just be killed... cause we're a bunch of   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

notice how most true shitcoins die off on their own Wink

agreed and +1
At the end of 2015 many coins will be dead. (Without any attack)

But I want my coin secure. The possibility of an attack is reason enough for me.
Shitcoins will not update their code. Most of them have no active development.
Like I said: Attacking a shitcoin is like killing a zombie. Nobody cares. Look at Apex.

Cheers,
Ray
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: