Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:30:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleanup: I'll attack some coins - I owned APEXcoin for 90 blocks  (Read 17218 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:45:24 PM

So, found any holes the Nxt devs missed in their implementation?  Smiley

I think so... but as I said, I need some time to implement the attack and completely understand the implications... attacking still requires a lot of stake, looking how to improve that...

Were you not able to gather enough testnet stake to test your theories?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cynicSOB (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:58:26 PM

I think so... but as I said, I need some time to implement the attack and completely understand the implications... attacking still requires a lot of stake, looking how to improve that...

Were you not able to gather enough testnet stake to test your theories?

I didn't even get to the part were I know how much I need. Patience! remember it took me some time with Apex but I delivered.

For more secure coins: 1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
For the lulz:1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4865

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:52:25 PM

Keep going, This is what keeps me interested while all my coins plummet. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ed_teech

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Jahaha

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 07:40:52 PM

This looks interesting, reminds me of BCX and Monero
microbial

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 07:57:19 PM

these poor coins are in trouble  Grin

cynicSOB (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 09:30:00 PM

what happened with that? was there an attack or not?

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 11:46:52 PM

There was an attempted attack, but it fizzled.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:42:28 AM

So, found any holes the Nxt devs missed in their implementation?  Smiley

Which is why borrowing state becomes an option for someone wishing to attack a POS coin. That is the essence of the "Second Pirate Savings and Trust" attack.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4865

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:45:31 AM

Not even close, BCX was full of shit.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 09:46:51 AM

Which is why borrowing state becomes an option for someone wishing to attack a POS coin.

So where can one lend large amounts of PoS coins?

“God does not play dice"
xyzzyx

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:36:29 AM

Which is why borrowing state becomes an option for someone wishing to attack a POS coin.

So where can one lend large amounts of PoS coins?

Nxt allows balance leasing.  The coins stay with the original account, but the PoS power goes to whom the balanced is leased to.   One Nxt is a simulated Bitcoin mining rig so think of it as a simulation of a Bitcoin pool.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:03:51 PM

Which is why borrowing state becomes an option for someone wishing to attack a POS coin. That is the essence of the "Second Pirate Savings and Trust" attack.

I think borrowing coins/leased forging and such is the only major danger that I've seen thus far to a solid PoS set up like NXT. In general I think PoS communities need to be vigilant about discouraging mass lending as it seems to be the only plausible way that an attacker could gain a sufficient amount of stake.
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:12:59 PM

I think borrowing coins/leased forging and such is the only major danger that I've seen thus far to a solid PoS set up like NXT. In general I think PoS communities need to be vigilant about discouraging mass lending as it seems to be the only plausible way that an attacker could gain a sufficient amount of stake.

Agreed.
But there is not enough economic incentive in Nxt forging to form such large pools.

1M Nxt would have earned about 68USD if forging 24/7 over the whole last year.
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:51:03 PM

^

I believe that ArcticMine typically assumes some kind of super-ponzi-scheme to get a huge amount of stake/borrowed stake.
(The economic incentives would be based on this illusion/fictive returns)
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:21:42 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2015, 01:51:32 PM by achimsmile

^

I believe that ArcticMine typically assumes some kind of super-ponzi-scheme to get a huge amount of stake/borrowed stake.

True, but he forgets how anally fixated large stakeholders are.

There are already promising assets such as supernet or Jinn, which aims to revolutionize CPU's, by going from binary to trinary data processing (in theory it can beat any CPU manufacturer in terms off efficiency. disclaimer: I don't own any Jinn assets)

All of these super promising projects did not attract a large percentage of overall NXt. I don't know what would.

Certainly not "a digital hedge fund that promises weekly returns of up to 7%" like pirate40's.
Remember that there is a lot more money in bitcoin, so 5,6M$ was not a lot of overall bitcoin stake.

I would never invest in such a fund, and I bet larger stakeholders wouldn't either.
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:32:37 PM

^

There are already promising assets such as supernet or Jinn, which aims to revolutionize CPU's, by going from binary to trinary data processing (in theory it can beat any CPU manufacturer in terms off efficiency. disclaimer: I don't own any Jinn assets)

All of these super promising project did not attract a large percentage of overall NXt. I don't know what would.

Certainly not "a digital hedge fund that promises weekly returns of up to 7%" like pirate40's.
Remember that there is a lot more money in bitcoin, so 5,6M$ was not a lot of overall bitcoin stake.

I would never invest in such a fund, and I bet larger stakeholders wouldn't either.

We believe the same.

Plus, ideas like his could kill PoW coins as well: create very attractive mining pools, attract a lot of hashrate by asking for zero fees (use the typically lagged payout as your resource to pay the servers), as soon as your pools reach critical size, make bets against the coin with big leverage and then effect a 51% attack... not really gave it too much thought, but something around those lines.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:07:09 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2015, 07:50:58 AM by Este Nuno

^

All of these super promising project did not attract a large percentage of overall NXt. I don't know what would.

We believe the same.

Plus, ideas like his could kill PoW coins as well: create very attractive mining pools, attract a lot of hashrate by asking for zero fees (use the typically lagged payout as your resource to pay the servers), as soon as your pools reach critical size, make bets against the coin with big leverage and then effect a 51% attack... not really gave it too much thought, but something around those lines.

That's exactly what happened with Ghash too. Zero fees and >50% hashing.

And then before that we had Deepbit over 50, and BTCGuild dangerously close to 50%.

Maybe PoS isn't in it's final fully robust form yet, but I think it sounds pretty solid. Someone could borrow or rent miners in PoW too. Or hack a pool like Ghash. And in PoS people get bent out of shape when they see a single account with 4-5% of supply when Bitcoin itself has had 3 separate mining pools around 50% already.
ed_teech

Activity: 508

Jahaha

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:11:54 PM

BCX threatened Monero and their price fell, but nothing happened after a while.
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:10:21 AM

Watching

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
cynicSOB (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 02:08:39 PM

hey, there's no sendmany in nxt? If I want to split my nxt in 50 accounts then I have to pay 50 NXT in fees, right? that's a bummer....

I post here because I don't have my nxtforum password with me right now....

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: