Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:35:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450905 times)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 12:40:15 AM

I have 3 S5s. A few days ago one of them starts beeping a single beep at approximately 15 minute intervals. The hashing is still fine so does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening?

Thanks
IT HAS GOT TO BE THE TEMPERATURE. I AM NOT EVEN ASSUMING ANYMORE, THE ONLY TIMES MY ANTMINER S5 BEEPED WAS FOR TEMPERATURE. CLEAN THE DUCTS AND THE INTERNALS. ((THAT WAS AN EDIT))  Sometimes those things beep whenever, whatever. You can turn it off it nothing bad is happening. May be high temperature or psu problem. Might even be internet problem. You never know. You'll just have to stop the miner and check what's wrong with it.
I beg of you to stop the miner and clean it, you have no idea the pain of a computer being under high heat. I can feel the pain right now.
The struggles..

I don't think that it is excess heat. I use compressed air to clean them regularly.

the main problem you are having is the 3 pools you picked to mine at.. those are literally the worse pools you could have picked.

NH bugs out the s5, causing it to JAM up and need to be reset.
antpool mines empty blocks and is not good for bitcoin
f2pool merge mines nmc, which causes problems with cgminer, reporting all kinds of errors..

Well offer me up good alternatives

heres what i got on my s5

stratum+tcp://stratum.kano.is:3333

stratum+tcp://peercoin.ecoining.com:3336

stratum+tcp://dgcv3sha.cryptopools.com:13350

but my power costs are around 10c per kwh, so i only make about 8c per day after power costs mining bitcoin..

MOST of the time its more profitable for me to mine ppc or dgc. so i switch them around.. using cryptoglance. depending on exchange rates and how many i have.

Yup, kano is one of the best pools out there if not the very best. They have great luck %,  great payments and they're just good. I point all my miners to kano unless ppc rises above btc which it occasionaly does for a few hours.
Ecoining dominates peercoin by finding 60% of blocks, but personally I prefer stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333
They have a pretty good pool, only thing they need is more hashrate Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:00:01 AM

Yup, kano is one of the best pools out there if not the very best. They have great luck %,  great payments and they're just good. I point all my miners to kano unless ppc rises above btc which it occasionaly does for a few hours.
Ecoining dominates peercoin by finding 60% of blocks, but personally I prefer stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333

Has anyone done a Multipool for all the SHA-256 coins that you can poit your Miner at and have it switch automatically to the best paying coin?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:22:15 AM

Yup, kano is one of the best pools out there if not the very best. They have great luck %,  great payments and they're just good. I point all my miners to kano unless ppc rises above btc which it occasionaly does for a few hours.

Has anyone done a Multipool for all the SHA-256 coins that you can poit your Miner at and have it switch automatically to the best paying coin?

Rich

yes there are a few but generally multipools arent very good because you may mine with the coin is up, but the pool auto sells those coins so it may sell them cheaper then you would want. plus i think the bots just dump the coins in the bids so if they have many miners the price goes down as the coin is mined.

here is a link to a few
https://poolpicker.eu/reviews?order=rating&algo=sha-256
some dont work anymore.. :/
RichBC

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:36:46 AM

yes there are a few but generally multipools arent very good because you may mine with the coin is up, but the pool auto sells those coins so it may sell them cheaper then you would want. plus i think the bots just dump the coins in the bids so if they have many miners the price goes down as the coin is mined.

here is a link to a few

Yes I wondered if that would be the case, but will take a look. The one thing that does work for me, and I guess a lot of other people use it, is to set a value of Bitcoin on Nicehash as your first pool so that it get's mined above a certain value. If this feature existed for other SHA-256 coins then you could just list each of them with a value in your miner configuration screen and have it switch that way?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:45:14 AM

here is a link to a few

Yes I wondered if that would be the case, but will take a look. The one thing that does work for me, and I guess a lot of other people use it, is to set a value of Bitcoin on Nicehash as your first pool so that it get's mined above a certain value. If this feature existed for other SHA-256 coins then you could just list each of them with a value in your miner configuration screen and have it switch that way?

Rich

i dont think such a pool exists.. NH is nice because you can often make above btc value per GH, but you arent actually mining for yourself. you just get paid what the site is making on rentals.

also NH jams up the s5s. so if you put it as the first one and your price gets met for a few minutes, you may have to restart the s5 to get it to start mining again once it goes lower. mine just sat idle.
they have special firmware for the s5, but its outdated and it has that internet loss bug that stops the fans.. so if you lose internet your s5 may or may not blow up..

what i been doing is mining DGC for a few days, get about 500 of them.. then switch to PPC..
it takes awhile to dump 500 DGC on bittrex because you cant just throw them in the bids or the coin will crash. figure out what the good profit point is and stick there, just make asks and leave them.

PPC hit a spike on btc-e today, so i sold mine for a nice profit of almost 50c each..

edit, seems bittrex also had a nice buy spike and my dgc sold.. nice..
RichBC

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 09:00:25 AM

here is a link to a few

Rich

i dont think such a pool exists.. NH is nice because you can often make above btc value per GH, but you arent actually mining for yourself. you just get paid what the site is making on rentals.

also NH jams up the s5s. so if you put it as the first one and your price gets met for a few minutes, you may have to restart the s5 to get it to start mining again once it goes lower. mine just sat idle.
they have special firmware for the s5, but its outdated and it has that internet loss bug that stops the fans.. so if you lose internet your s5 may or may not blow up..

what i been doing is mining DGC for a few days, get about 500 of them.. then switch to PPC..
it takes awhile to dump 500 DGC on bittrex because you cant just throw them in the bids or the coin will crash. figure out what the good profit point is and stick there, just make asks and leave them.

PPC hit a spike on btc-e today, so i sold mine for a nice profit of almost 50c each..

I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem. Yes I have been mining peercoin for a Week or so but have not yet come up with a simple way of deciding what to mine when or when to sell the coins so I do not think I have been doing very well out of it. So have left Nicehash set at 0.0035 and then bw.com as the second pool while I think about what to do. What I should do of course  is sell the S5's while they still have some value.....

Rich

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 09:34:35 AM

here is a link to a few

Rich

I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem. Yes I have been mining peercoin for a Week or so but have not yet come up with a simple way of deciding what to mine when or when to sell the coins so I do not think I have been doing very well out of it. So have left Nicehash set at 0.0035 and then bw.com as the second pool while I think about what to do. What I should do of course  is sell the S5's while they still have some value.....

Rich

i do like the idea of NH.. i do not like or support their 3% fee..
they charge both the miners and the buyers a 3% fee.. so they take 6% off the top.

its really greedy.. and its NO risk to them, as they get paid directly from the buyers.. they dont rely on finding blocks like normal pools do.

they should really not charge a fee for the miners at all.. as the miners are supporting their site.. which doesnt always turn a higher profit then btc directly, so lots of times miners are mining at a loss.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 06:47:55 PM

here is a link to a few

Rich

Rich

i do like the idea of NH.. i do not like or support their 3% fee..
they charge both the miners and the buyers a 3% fee.. so they take 6% off the top.

its really greedy.. and its NO risk to them, as they get paid directly from the buyers.. they dont rely on finding blocks like normal pools do.

they should really not charge a fee for the miners at all.. as the miners are supporting their site.. which doesnt always turn a higher profit then btc directly, so lots of times miners are mining at a loss.

There was points when they got MUCH higher profits then normal mining.  I could see certain times in past when 6 percent was possibly fair to charge.  Were talking a while ago though....  people just don't seem to be renting and for as much as they did.

I would agree these day's if they went down in fee would be a good thing.  I think they should base fee on percent above normal mining.  So if like right 3 percent above normal on sha256... they should adjust to a lower rate.  But I can see as a business why they don't.  And they are the best out there as far as renting (i think personally) so I can see a premium for that to.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:20:15 PM

I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem.
I thought you had to use the NH firware to set your miner up for rental at their site?  I've thought about setting mine up as a rental but I didn't want to use their firmware so I passed.
RichBC

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:48:35 PM

I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem.
I thought you had to use the NH firware to set your miner up for rental at their site?  I've thought about setting mine up as a rental but I didn't want to use their firmware so I passed.

Nothing special is needed, all firmwares will work. There is a very small gain if you set the extranonce subscription but it's not esential and I have found setting it on my S5 causes problems when you want to set a value above which you want your miner to use nicehash, so I do not use it.

Rich

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 08:54:36 PM

I have a S5 which sensors just keep going up and up and up, start at same temp from the other board and after a day or two its 20c higher. Laser thermometer says every chips are cool and i dont see any hot spot.

Anyone has a picture of the board that show where the sensor is? IIRC i can put thermal paste on it for the temp to go down? Maybe i'd get more leeway if its not 100% broken.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:36:04 PM

I have a S5 which sensors just keep going up and up and up, start at same temp from the other board and after a day or two its 20c higher. Laser thermometer says every chips are cool and i dont see any hot spot.

Anyone has a picture of the board that show where the sensor is? IIRC i can put thermal paste on it for the temp to go down? Maybe i'd get more leeway if its not 100% broken.

Temp sensor IC is the one right in the middle with 8 legs, U1 - LM75A .

Rich

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:43:48 PM

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/uploads/1439724411/gallery_2150_2322_641456.jpg

Rich

Thanks, in lieu of this information, i lasered the sensors exactly. The top of the chips are one side 35C, other side 40C. Sound like a normal temp difference. I think its safe to assume the sensor is busted? (Software read 52C and 78C)

I dont think pasting it will do anything since its so cold. Maybe disable the over 80C overheat protection? Or is there a better trick?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 11:07:17 PM

Thanks, in lieu of this information, i lasered the sensors exactly. The top of the chips are one side 35C, other side 40C. Sound like a normal temp difference. I think its safe to assume the sensor is busted? (Software read 52C and 78C)

I dont think pasting it will do anything since its so cold. Maybe disable the over 80C overheat protection? Or is there a better trick?

Have you tried plugging / replugging the data connector to the controller board, and then swapping the 2 boards to confirm that it is the sensor that is faulty rather than the connections to the sensor chip?

Rich

zOU

Activity: 728

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:24:02 AM

Rich

check this:

Annoyed by the constant surging and whine of the fan on S5 ?,
Put small heatsinks on the two temperature sensor chips LM57A(8 pin chip at the center of the hashing boards)

Heatsink on the Temp sensor chip will lower fan speed to default low ~2.2Krpm.
 Do it for both the hashing boards and enjoy peace and quiet Smiley

RichBC

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:27:13 AM

The heatsink mod is only any good if the sensor is working. Personally I would not do it as the temp sensor is already quite removed from what you actually want to measure which is the ASIC core temperature, this just isolates it even further from that.

Rich

kenshirothefist

Activity: 457
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 12:20:53 AM

If anybody is looking for a few second hand AntMiners S5 (3x):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1398532.0
blindminer

Activity: 360
Merit: 120

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 04:24:26 PM
Merited by dopecoindude (10)

Sorry for my English.
What is this piece in antminer s5 board:

Is this a Capacitor? One of these are detached from my antiminer board's.
I thought  i must have just one x from the chain but it doesn't hashing at all.

RichBC

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 04:34:35 PM

It is a decoupling capacitor for that node in the ASIC chain. Unfortunately if it has de-soldered this is probably because it has overheated, so it may be damaged as may be the ASIC's on that stage? One of the problems with a String design is that many faults can cause a one down all down situation.

Rich

blindminer

Activity: 360
Merit: 120

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 05:03:52 PM

It is a decoupling capacitor for that node in the ASIC chain. Unfortunately if it has de-soldered this is probably because it has overheated, so it may be damaged as may be the ASIC's on that stage? One of the problems with a String design is that many faults can cause a one down all down situation.

Rich
Thanks.
This is not cause of overheating. this was happen because of bad shipment.

Pages: « 1 ... 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: