Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:13:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent scam investigations  (Read 4791 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:14:50 PM

The site just needs some final touches. This weekend was my wedding anniversary so I was away from a computer. I'm at my "day job" right now but should have something to show this evening.
Oh, neat!

If anyone wants to get their feet wet, I have a scam report fresh off of the queue:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83502.0

Start off by contacting all of the parties involved and gathering as much information as you can. I'll help you work through your first investigation, so let me know any questions you have. Also, be sure to "claim" the investigation by posting in the thread saying that you'll look into it or something.

I'll approve of any of the following people taking this up:
Raize, Psy, John, Clipse, sadpandatech

I'm not too sure about:
gweedo, bulanula

If you're staff here and haven't done an investigation before, I'd be happy to take you on as well. If you have done an investigation, you can just take this if you want.

If you're not on the above list, that just means that I wasn't aware that you had an interest. Feel free to let me know if you still want to join.

While anybody really can do this job, I made this list to show who I believe can be trusted with private information (feel free to reference this post if you are listed and someone is wary about sending you the information) and also who I think is likely to be able to remain neutral in an investigation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:36:44 PM

The site just needs some final touches. This weekend was my wedding anniversary so I was away from a computer. I'm at my "day job" right now but should have something to show this evening.
Oh, neat!

If anyone wants to get their feet wet, I have a scam report fresh off of the queue:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83502.0

Start off by contacting all of the parties involved and gathering as much information as you can. I'll help you work through your first investigation, so let me know any questions you have. Also, be sure to "claim" the investigation by posting in the thread saying that you'll look into it or something.

gotcha and on it. Will contact you as soon as I get everything neatened up.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:55:12 PM

Awesome Smiley

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:28:29 PM

Awesome Smiley
done and filing report now.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

Clipse

Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:54:42 PM

Ill grab the next one, pretty sure this one is in capable hands with panda.

Did keep an active on this thread since posting previously.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:37:42 PM

Ill grab the next one, pretty sure this one is in capable hands with panda.

Did keep an active on this thread since posting previously.
Just so everyone knows, Clipse is officially handling the Wnd case.

Thanks!

guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:17:39 PM

I don't ever want there to be innocent people falsely marked as scammers, so I require quite a bit of proof before scammer-tagging anyone. Sometimes there are very clear-cut cases that don't require any additional proof, but often some investigation is required to collect more proof. Maged has been doing a lot of this investigation work (thanks!), but I don't consider investigating these cases to be a function of the board. I don't expect moderators to spend any time investigating scam cases.

Now Maged is busy, and people seeking to have someone scammer-tagged are finding that all of the moderators are ignoring them. What such people should do is hire a non-moderator to collect the evidence. Moderators have no advantage in these investigations over non-moderators, since only admins have IP logs, access to PMs, etc.

Scam investigators need to convince me that someone is almost certainly a scammer. This is done by:
- Finding conclusive evidence that the suspect has scammed someone.
- Compiling all of the evidence into a short report (not strewn across a huge thread).
- Posting all of the evidence in a new thread in "Trading discussion".
- After at least a few days of public discussion, send me the link to the thread with the evidence.

If you think I might have evidence that would prove that someone is guilty (PMs, IP logs, etc.), compile the evidence you do have to show "probable cause" and ask me specific questions that will clearly help the case when answered. I will not actually give you IP addresses or PMs -- I check them myself and give you answers based on the info.

I might be willing to give some free forum advertising to a reputable person/company specializing in scam investigations.

So, by this I'm to understand that you will read private messages with probable cause? While I respect your position (and think highly of how you conduct yourself with your responsibilites), I'm definitely not ok with this.

I am grateful it is possible to ignore all PMs. Thanks for that! Smiley

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:27:55 PM

So, by this I'm to understand that you will read private messages with probable cause? While I respect your position (and think highly of how you conduct yourself with your responsibilites), I'm definitely not ok with this.
Whoops, guruvan is about to get busted for trading cp via the forum PM system, just kidding.

No actual shit, dummy, why wouldn't an administrator have access to PMs? Even if you designed a system that had no easy GUI to do it, you could still read them with a proper commandline SQL query, it just would be a little more difficult. I can't believe you would think otherwise.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:28:04 PM

I am grateful it is possible to ignore all PMs. Thanks for that! Smiley

Everyone deserves their privacy and this in no way will take away from that. By this, you should understand that unless there is already very solid proof that such person was a scammer and one small piece of puzzle was missing that would be in a PM then NO PM's will be read.  And none of said PM's are shared with any independent person and likely not even with mods.

Example;
*Maged; "Theymos, I think this person is scamming, can I see their PMs?"

*Theymos; "No"  (he doens't like making long, winded replies. ;p

cheers

- GA

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:10:59 PM

It is my understanding that theymos won't read any PM unless he already has a copy of the PM that was revealed by one of the parties involved. All he does is verify that the copy of the PM wasn't modified.

This is the reason why we always have to ask someone involved for a copy of all correspondence when we get a scam report.

If you're worried about him snooping on your PMs, though, feel free to GPG encrypt your communications or use an external messaging system. That being said, I don't know how theymos would have the time to randomly read a bunch of people's PMs, anyway.

guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:45:59 PM

Whoops, guruvan is about to get busted for trading cp via the forum PM system, just kidding.

No actual shit, dummy, why wouldn't an administrator have access to PMs? Even if you designed a system that had no easy GUI to do it, you could still read them with a proper commandline SQL query, it just would be a little more difficult. I can't believe you would think otherwise.

Again, rjk, you show your igrnorance. Just because an admin CAN access data doesn't mean he would, should, or will.  I have administrated more than my fair share of user data over the years, and it's a simple rule in my book before I look through anyone's personal data I have special access to: legally binding order - nothing short. I will not violate people's private communications for any reason. It is wrong, and troublesome for all parties involved.

I appreciate the CP comment, too. Nice way to slyly associate that - I'm sure your just kidding matters. I see why you're well ignored. I will do that from now on.

It is my understanding that theymos won't read any PM unless he already has a copy of the PM that was revealed by one of the parties involved. All he does is verify that the copy of the PM wasn't modified.

This is the reason why we always have to ask someone involved for a copy of all correspondence when we get a scam report.

If you're worried about him snooping on your PMs, though, feel free to GPG encrypt your communications or use an external messaging system. That being said, I don't know how theymos would have the time to randomly read a bunch of people's PMs, anyway.

Thank you for clarifying the actual use of that. That is considerably better than just looking through pms for evidence in the case of probable cause.

In fact, I hold most of you (in particular, both you, Maged, and theymos) in pretty high regard - so I could hardly imagine you snooping without cause, or wnating to, even if you'd have the luxury of time. Smiley

(forum PMs are still far too difficult to use, so I'm still glad this has found me a way to disable them completely)

My apologies for any perceived implication that you guys would do anything nefarious. This wasn't my intent. I had been operating under the general assumptions I make as a sysadmin, and was surprised that your rules are slightly different than I would have.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:28:42 PM

As Maged mentioned, I usually only confirm that a reported PM is accurate. Sometimes I read all of the PMs between the potential scammer and the victim, with the victim's permission. There have been only a few cases where I've read all of a potential scammer's PMs, and they all turned out to be guilty in the end. I don't do it lightly. I never read random PMs; I haven't even read any of Satoshi's PMs, which would undoubtedly be very interesting.

It is necessary to use SQL to read them. SMF doesn't have an interface for it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:42:39 PM

Again, rjk, you show your igrnorance. Just because an admin CAN access data doesn't mean he would, should, or will.  I have administrated more than my fair share of user data over the years, and it's a simple rule in my book before I look through anyone's personal data I have special access to: legally binding order - nothing short. I will not violate people's private communications for any reason. It is wrong, and troublesome for all parties involved.

I appreciate the CP comment, too. Nice way to slyly associate that - I'm sure your just kidding matters. I see why you're well ignored. I will do that from now on.
Again, you show your inability to comprehend what I wrote. I never said he would, should, or will. I said that it is possible, and could be done.
Less than 3 ignores. Whee. I'm so hurt. (HINT: That was sarcsam, IDGAF)

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 05:06:12 PM

I'm still interested in a site or something where we can find out what threads/users need research done on them. I'd like to help out.
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 08:47:43 PM

I'm still interested in a site or something where we can find out what threads/users need research done on them. I'd like to help out.

I agree, even if it was only a private ftp repository where we have a few seperate directories for 'new investigations', 'finished investogations', and each investigation having its own subfolders in each. Main directory should have a short roster and list of investigations and indicate their status.

- GA

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:55:08 AM

I agree, even if it was only a private ftp repository where we have a few seperate directories for 'new investigations', 'finished investogations', and each investigation having its own subfolders in each. Main directory should have a short roster and list of investigations and indicate their status.
Sounds like a forum would work well for this. Oh theymos!...

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: