Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:09:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pebblecoin (XPB) - FIRST DPOS CRYPTONOTE COIN LIVE - Qt Wallet GUI - v0.4.4.1  (Read 55989 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
romanbrown

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:30:09 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 10:27:53 PM by romanbrown

I’m very excited to be working on implementing my ideas on xpb! After discussing my whitepaper with xpbcreator, we’ve decided to roll out the implementation in four major phases, one of which wasn’t mentioned on the whitepaper. I recommend reading the whitepaper before this post if you want to follow along. The four phases are:

1) Delegated Proof of Stake
2) Subcurrencies
3) Contracts Graded by Creator
4) Contracts Graded by Delegates

In the whitepaper, I clearly spelt out how #2-3 and most of #4 can be implemented. However, one shortcoming of the paper is that I didn’t describe how the tradeable contracts can be scored in a trustless way. I put forth some ideas, some mention of miners as information gatherers, but no clear way on how to implement it. Evidently, this is an important part of the system.

There would be some problems with using the proof of work miners as information gatherers. First, it may be difficult to provide a clear incentive for them to actually gather the information. Second, dishonest miners may report the wrong information, with no clear repercussions. It enough dishonest miners provided the wrong information, the contract would be incorrectly graded, and with no recourse. The higher the value of the contract, the greater the incentive to score dishonestly, with no long-term repercussions as the miners are all anonymous. There’s also the potential for a hashing power attack: even if 90% of future blocks have to agree, and most miners are honest, someone would only have to temporarily ramp up hashing power to 9x that of the current networks’ power for 200 blocks to determine any outcome.

Implementing delegated proof of stake solves these issues. We can now require nearly all of the delegates (say 90%) to agree on the data points before a contract is graded. Each of the delegates can be required to post a bond in order to supply a data point, which they forfeit if the rest of the network disagrees. That bond could also be imposed on proof of work miners, but aside from losing that bond, delegates face the even greater penalty of being voted out of being a delegate if they constantly gather incorrect information. By default, clients can elect to stop voting for a delegate that provided false information. Finally, it would be nearly impossible and financially prohibitive for a dishonest actor to become 90+% of the delegates for the sole task of grading contracts inaccurately. In the case where an attacker gains 10%+ of the delegates and attempts to block consensus, we’ll need to figure out a resolution mechanism (still in the works).

Delegated proof of stake also has the added benefits of securing the network more securely and at a fraction of the cost of proof of work. Some may argue that delegated proof of stake places control of the network in the hands of the few, but the rebuttal is that every single proof of work cryptocurrency already has this problem anyway, and in a worse way. On the coin with the largest market cap, just four mining pools together control 50% of the network. Since the consolidation of power on a network happens regardless, proper rules and incentives can much more effectively deter and prevent dishonest activity on the network. The cost of having a delegate process a block is very cheap, since no proof of work is required. In the case of Pebblecoin, this should also make network propagation times much faster given the slowness of the boulderhash algorithm.

Steps 1-3 are basically already planned out. As xpbcreator said, we’ll roll out a testnet for #1 in two weeks time. There are still a few decisions to be made for #4. One is to fully plan out conflict resolution if delegates - be they honest or dishonest - disagree on data points, or if a malicious client creates a difficult-to-gather data point. Another is to fully flesh out the scraping language that will be required to turn data gathered from web-pages (usually HTML data, but maybe JSON and plain-text as well) into data points to be placed into the blockchain. They key is to be able to use well-known sites, such as Yahoo and ESPN, as data sources, so the scraping language must be flexible, but it must not be too complex so as not to be prohibitive to run.

Any comments on the approach and whitepaper would be very appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
winston900

Activity: 21

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:17:30 PM

cryptsy vote Smiley Smiley https://www.cryptsy.com/coinvotes

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NaX78hLq0uw/VRsqz33dNdI/AAAAAAAACls/K9JMYHAcZpU/w1053-h700-no/Screenshot_2.png

There are already 275 votes.

winston900

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:16:21 PM

Help!!

I 16Gb and have launched mining but do not see any results.

someone can help me.
XPB (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 04:13:56 PM

Help!!

someone can help me.
What is your hash rate?  The network hash rate is pretty high actually, it may take a while for you to get a block.
winston900

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:03:00 PM

Help!!

someone can help me.
What is your hash rate?  The network hash rate is pretty high actually, it may take a while for you to get a block.

Hash Rate: 73.05 H/sec

and my team produces about 44.5 h / s
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:35:47 PM

Help!!

someone can help me.

Hash Rate: 73.05 H/sec

and my team produces about 44.5 h / s
Then you should be getting a lot of blocks.  Are you the one on the pool?  The pool can't handle that much hashing power.
bitl0ck

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 08:43:19 PM

If you have more memory do you get a better hashrate?
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 09:02:40 PM

If you have more memory do you get a better hashrate?
No, once you have 13 GB it doesn't get much faster from there.  Maybe if you have 26 GB and a lot of cores and a fast CPU you can run two instances at once faster.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 12:53:16 PM

I’m very excited to be working on implementing my ideas on xpb! After discussing my whitepaper with xpbcreator, we’ve decided to roll out the implementation in four major phases, one of which wasn’t mentioned on the whitepaper. I recommend reading the whitepaper before this post if you want to follow along. The four phases are:

How many coins are going to be mined before DPoS is implemented and all mining rewards are stopped? It would be nice if there's an announcement 60 or 90 or 365 days before the switch is made. Also, the sooner the switch is made (with little to no time before announcement), the more this coin will be tainted as short PoW period with relatively few miners before switching to (D)PoS.

Any idea how many delegates are going to be used for DPoS? Follow bitshares model and have 101? Are there even 101 people mining this coin at the moment? I'm not a fan of bitshares because of the small number of delegates that control the entire network, but it seems like if the switch from PoW to DPoS is made soon for pebblecoin, then there will be a much smaller number of people than 101 validating each block and reaping all the rewards.
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 06:09:03 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2015, 11:08:02 PM by XPB

How many coins are going to be mined before DPoS is implemented and all mining rewards are stopped? It would be nice if there's an announcement 60 or 90 or 365 days before the switch is made. Also, the sooner the switch is made (with little to no time before announcement), the more this coin will be tainted as short PoW period with relatively few miners before switching to (D)PoS.

Any idea how many delegates are going to be used for DPoS? Follow bitshares model and have 101? Are there even 101 people mining this coin at the moment? I'm not a fan of bitshares because of the small number of delegates that control the entire network, but it seems like if the switch from PoW to DPoS is made soon for pebblecoin, then there will be a much smaller number of people than 101 validating each block and reaping all the rewards.
The mining for this coin has actually been very heavy.  There were periods where the hash rate got up to 60 H/sec.  Right now the pool says it is 48.72 H/s so let's use that.  The 16 GB server I mine on gets 0.03 H/s.  It may be more on the low end so let's say an average computer could get 0.06 H/s.  To get 48.72 H/s there'd have to be 812 average computers mining the coin.  There are probably some people that have above average computers, and some miners that are putting a lot of power, but it shows there's definitely a lot of interest in this coin, in terms of number of people.  

There has also been a lot of traffic on the irc chat embedded in the Qt wallet of people asking for help, so there is more interest than just in this thread.  It's been a relatively popular launch.  It got on an exchange very soon and it's listed on the Bytecoin website, all happening from other users that are interested in the coin.

From the start I promised to innovate with this coin, and I've already provided the only decent GUI wallet on a cryptonote coin, a new hashing algorithm that prevented botnets and centralized mining from swamping the coin, and the initial ramp-up reward period (the exact opposite of bytecoin which had huge rewards at first) to prevent initial advantage to mining in the period where it's easiest to get an unfair advantage, the first few weeks.  Because of this the coin has gotten a lot of interest.  The next step is the trustless, tradeable, reality-based contracts, and that requires distributed proof-of-stake to work, so that's what we'll release next
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:07:21 PM

The mining for this coin has actually been very heavy.  There were periods where the hash rate got up to 60 H/sec.  Right now the pool says it is 48.72 H/s so let’s use that.  The 16 GB server I mine on gets 0.03 H/s.  It may be more on the low end so let’s say an average computer could get 0.06 H/s.  To get 48.72 H/s there’d have to be 812 average computers mining the coin.  There are probably some people that have above average computers, and some miners that are putting a lot of power, but it shows there’s definitely a lot of interest in this coin, in terms of number of people. 
I've heard there is a private miner, so I'd take these numbers with a large rock salt crystal.

From the start I promised to innovate with this coin, and I’ve already provided the only decent GUI wallet on a cryptonote coin...
Lol you can't even include a payment id with the GUI, how is it the "only decent GUI wallet on a cryptonote coin"?
shojayxt
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:15:55 PM

The mining for this coin has actually been very heavy.  There were periods where the hash rate got up to 60 H/sec.  Right now the pool says it is 48.72 H/s so let’s use that.  The 16 GB server I mine on gets 0.03 H/s.  It may be more on the low end so let’s say an average computer could get 0.06 H/s.  To get 48.72 H/s there’d have to be 812 average computers mining the coin.  There are probably some people that have above average computers, and some miners that are putting a lot of power, but it shows there’s definitely a lot of interest in this coin, in terms of number of people. 
I've heard there is a private miner, so I'd take these numbers with a large rock salt crystal.

From the start I promised to innovate with this coin, and I’ve already provided the only decent GUI wallet on a cryptonote coin...
Lol you can't even include a payment id with the GUI, how is it the "only decent GUI wallet on a cryptonote coin"?

Of course there is.  That's who's mining most of the coins.
romanbrown

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:24:24 PM

We're planning on switching to DPOS in a few weeks. But the important question to ask is not when DPOS, but why? For the why, see my earlier post from March 25th. Basically, the new contract features won’t work properly until DPOS is working properly. Since the new contract features is what will draw interest in the coin, it doesn't necessarily make sense to wait some arbitrary amount of time before switching over. We prefer to get the new features up sooner rather than later.

There'll be 100 delegate slots, similar to bitshares. XPB pointed out why there’s good reason to believe there'll be enough interest. If there are fewer delegates then anybody can sign up to be a delegate and easily (with zero votes) get rewarded for securing the network, just like with proof of work when there isn't a lot of hashing power.
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 04:26:58 AM

I've just pushed the testnet version of v0.4.0.1.  The binary download links are available below.  This is a testnet-only release.  Just download the binaries and double-click and it should work.

For ease of testing, the testnet uses boulderhash with far less RAM, so it's very easy to mine.  The goal of the testnet is to test the DPOS.  Once you have some coins, you can register to be a delegate.  When the testnet switches over to DPOS at block 1200 - sometime tomorrow (1 minute block time) - then proof of work mining will stop and the delegates will take turn signing blocks.  You can vote for who you want the delegate to be, or by default it votes for the delegates that have the best track record of processing blocks.  If you are a delegate, just leave the wallet on to sign blocks and receive the block fees.

Let me know if there are any problems, questions, or comments!  If the testing goes well we will announce the switch block of the main chain soon.

Download links:
wangx024

Activity: 54

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 06:18:32 AM

i Compiled the "Miner Source"under centos 6.5 trouble, tips
configure: error: in `/ root / xpb / pebble mine-master ':
configure: error: could not find crypto
See `config.log 'for more details.

And userd the "Linux Stand-Alone Miner"trouble, tips
./minerd2: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by ./minerd2)
./minerd2: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./minerd2)
./minerd2: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./minerd2)

How i can user?Help,thank you!
wangx024

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:37:28 PM

i can't send the coins to poloniex for 12 hours,any one like me?
why?
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 04:33:28 PM

i Compiled the "Miner Source"under centos 6.5 trouble, tips
configure: error: in `/ root / xpb / pebble mine-master ':
configure: error: could not find crypto
See `config.log 'for more details.
You mean the xpbcreator/pebbleminer source code?

The 'crypto' folder should be there.  It's in the github repository.  Are you sure you have all the files?

And userd the "Linux Stand-Alone Miner"trouble, tips
./minerd2: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by ./minerd2)
./minerd2: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./minerd2)
./minerd2: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./minerd2)

How i can user?Help,thank you!
You need to install libcurl.  Try sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev.
wangx024

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:16:31 PM

Connection pooling mine often overtime, how to build their own mine pool? Or by purse solo, configuration files, how to write? Other clients connected through mining mining program purse?

Now i can not send xpb to the Poloniex.com, please see the problem.thank you!
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 04:44:34 PM

Connection pooling mine often overtime, how to build their own mine pool? Or by purse solo, configuration files, how to write? Other clients connected through mining mining program purse?
Just get the pebblepool from github - https://github.com/xpbcreator/pebblepool - and follow the instructions.

Now i can not send xpb to the Poloniex.com, please see the problem.thank you!
I'll look into this.
XPB (OP)

Creator of Pebblecoin

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 10:32:32 PM

NEW RELEASE - LINKS BELOW

All went well on the testnet release, so after a few further minor modifications, we are releasing version 0.4.1.2 to the public.  This is a forking change, so please update your clients and servers.  At block 83120, sometime on April 21st, registration for DPOS delegates will begin.  At block 85300, sometime on April 24th, the network will switch over to DPOS.  As with the testnet, to become a delegate and receive block fees for securing the network, just turn on your wallet, register to be a delegate (5 XPB fee), and then leave your wallet on.  It will sign the blocks when it is your turn.

While Roman works on the next phase of the release - introducing subcurrencies - I will be fixing up some loose ends on the wallet, adding payment ID support, etc.

This is truly an exciting time for Pebblecoin.

LINKS:
Linux wallet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6dljl0599zeau6/pebblecoin-all-v0.4.1.2-linux-x64.tar.gz?dl=0
Windows wallet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b8nh3counb7lkw/pebblecoin-all-v0.4.1.2-win32-x64.zip?dl=0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: