Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:31:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Now Funded] Help build a better Bitcoin logo!  (Read 35204 times)
Coinabul (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 10:16:11 PM

I should add, this icon here is of course, an ICON.  An icon should only be used to represent a computer program, not as a logo for a concept, product etc.
So ideally we need a logo LIKE the "bitcoin" logo we all know, but made suitable for logo usage etc.
I've been doing some designs and I thought I'd share a few with you...
They're all very simple and basic, I could design much fancier, but a lot of people have said they like the coin, they want to keep a coin design, and to keep it simple...

First design:

Orange ringed coin, with golden B in middle (Note, all these designs use the new Ƀ; they can of course be changed to use BTC)

Design 2:

Solid-range pancake-inspired coin, with again the yellow coin in the middle with a simple cutout design.  (I'm not so fond of this but a few people I've asked like it.)

Design 3:

A reverse of the first design, but with a thinner outer line.

And finally, my personal favourite, design 4:

A variation on design 3, but with a line of dots instead of a solid stroke.  This makes the resemblance to a coin stronger, but not distracting from the fundamental point of the design.

-----------------------------
What's your thoughts people? Are they all horrible, are any jumping out at you as good?  Would you like design n with changes?  Or should I go away and do a whole new design, not talking about eh coin at all, like Timbas has done? Your thoughts please...

I've deliberately kept the logo's simple; a logo shouldn't be complex and multi-coloured etc.  The best logos, (e.g Nike or Apple, or Starbucks etc.) are all one-colour, and fairly simple.  I'm keeping to that maxim.  Once I get the feeling of you all and I've got a single-pcolour design a lot of people seem happy with, I'll knock up proper place settings, like the "accepted here" pictures, and the monochromes etc for people to use, and what not...
And thanks for the tip btw gyrsur (if that was you.  That's the trouble with anonymity!!), very appreciated.
Once I have a solid design people seem to like, I'll post this all in a new thread so it doesn't distract from this, but in the mean time, if you like, 1EUGrS4nRKpTtMrfbwwq4EziYpVCF8vym6.
Thanks
It seems a little cartoon-y to me still...

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:47:03 PM

sorry to derail the topic -  Coinabul - I never got my order confirmation over the weekend.  I placed an order for two silver coins.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 11:49:17 PM

sorry to derail the topic -  Coinabul - I never got my order confirmation over the weekend.  I placed an order for two silver coins.

Contact is on their page http://coinabul.com/index.php/contacts

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1461
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 12:30:29 AM

@Coinabul -- Any news from your meeting with the designer?  I'm liking the ||B logo...I see lots of potential there...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
MathCampbell

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:34:53 AM

It seems a little cartoon-y to me still...

That's a fair criticism; probably due to the colours, and the font I chose.  I will keep the same colours (allbeit I can modify their usage etc.) but try out some different fonts.  Key here was to create a logo that's professional looking and can be used for anything.  The coin-icon is nice but as you've said, you can't print it well, it won't monochrome great, it's hard to see at low-size etc.

I'll work at it some more..people have said they like option-4 with the dots...I might develop that further.  Someone wanted me to put the "veritas in numeris" on it as well, I think it would clutter, what do you all think?

Coinabul (OP)

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 01:35:17 AM

Send me an email, Jon [at] Coinabul.com

I'll get you sorted Smiley

MathCampbell

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:52:32 AM

Added some new logo designs to this thread here
Eli

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 07:43:10 PM

Adding 10BTC to the pledge.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 08:30:20 PM

Rock on...

@coinabul -- can you update everyone on the status of the fund and how the funds will be paid out? Things have slowed down a bit as I think perhaps people believe your designer is the winner.

Coinabul (OP)

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 08:50:13 PM

Rock on...

@coinabul -- can you update everyone on the status of the fund and how the funds will be paid out? Things have slowed down a bit as I think perhaps people believe your designer is the winner.
I'm letting people submit whatever they want. I was planning on having people just do sketches, but some have submitted full designs, which I don't mind. I don't think any of the designs yet have gotten a lot of community support, but if a new one comes along which the community likes, they'll get compensation.

My designer will have something to show in a week.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 02:13:32 AM

Rock on...

I'm letting people submit whatever they want. I was planning on having people just do sketches, but some have submitted full designs, which I don't mind. I don't think any of the designs yet have gotten a lot of community support, but if a new one comes along which the community likes, they'll get compensation.

My designer will have something to show in a week.

Can't wait to see it!

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 09:44:40 PM

I'd have to agree...the current logo is ok...a little cute and unserious looking, but friendly and unthreatening. I'd like to see something better. I'll throw in BTC10 for a set of vector format public domain logos. I'd like to see a three colors (or less) version, a full color version, one that looks good in grayscale and in binary black and white. That set should all be "the same logo," so to speak (clearly each will be slightly different to accommodate the constraints). We need at least two logo sets with different aspect ratios: a square logo and a rectangular logo...not the same as each other, although one might contain the other.
Thank you so much for your pledge!

I'll make sure to forward your specifications to the designer.

Cheers,
-Jon

To clarify -- the two aspect ratios stuff above...I think we need a square-ish graphic logo and a rectangular graphic logo + slogan/text. Many web/mobile uses need square shapes (favicons/app icons) while website front pages often have a rectangular logo/slogan combo in the upper right corner.

At any rate, I'm more generous than picky, so good luck!  I hope we see something great; we've already seen some great starts. I appreciate your foresight on this issue...Bitcoin needs to look as cool as it is, or people won't spend the time to learn how cool it is. 

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 11:02:39 PM

I will not go into much detail, but I'm working on a new logo+slogan with my designer.
FOR FREE!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 11:11:47 PM

We need a new video to introduce the new logo. Maybe this time a Kinetic Typography style video.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MathCampbell

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:39:59 PM

I'd have to agree...the current logo is ok...a little cute and unserious looking, but friendly and unthreatening. I'd like to see something better. I'll throw in BTC10 for a set of vector format public domain logos. I'd like to see a three colors (or less) version, a full color version, one that looks good in grayscale and in binary black and white. That set should all be "the same logo," so to speak (clearly each will be slightly different to accommodate the constraints). We need at least two logo sets with different aspect ratios: a square logo and a rectangular logo...not the same as each other, although one might contain the other.

Cheers,
-Jon

To clarify -- the two aspect ratios stuff above...I think we need a square-ish graphic logo and a rectangular graphic logo + slogan/text. Many web/mobile uses need square shapes (favicons/app icons) while website front pages often have a rectangular logo/slogan combo in the upper right corner.

At any rate, I'm more generous than picky, so good luck!  I hope we see something great; we've already seen some great starts. I appreciate your foresight on this issue...Bitcoin needs to look as cool as it is, or people won't spend the time to learn how cool it is. 

I disagree on the square/rectangular idea.
A good logo should be able to be presented IN a square etc.  But look at the Apple logo - it is neither square nor rectangular, closer to a circle, but can be presented in any way you choose.  A circular logo, based on the coin is fine for usage anywhere, as long as it is well designed.  As for use in icons etc. a logo is NOT an icon.  An application icon (my speciality, actually), can include a logo, but would be more specific to the app itself, rather than the brand it uses
For instance, say someone writes a wallet-app for iOS.  Square (ok, rounded square) icon required, but it wouldn't just be the logo, be it coin, square or otherwise in the square. It would probably be a wallet, with a bitcoin poking out etc, using the space well to emphasise not only that the app is bitcoin related but also that it is a wallet...

Obviously I like my design or else I wouldn't have done it, but regardless of which logo you use, it has to A) sum up bitcoin well, and B) be usable in all colours/mediums (which is why I kept my version very simple; small size won't kill it, nor will low-gamut or even single-gamut printing etc.).  If those two factors are not the overriding objectives here, then you don't need and shouldn't use a new logo, since the old one has very good brand recognition (hence why I tried to stay as close as possible to it)
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 07:25:55 PM

Cheers,
-Jon

I disagree on the square/rectangular idea.
A good logo should be able to be presented IN a square etc.  But look at the Apple logo - it is neither square nor rectangular, closer to a circle, but can be presented in any way you choose.  A circular logo, based on the coin is fine for usage anywhere, as long as it is well designed.  As for use in icons etc. a logo is NOT an icon.  An application icon (my speciality, actually), can include a logo, but would be more specific to the app itself, rather than the brand it uses
For instance, say someone writes a wallet-app for iOS.  Square (ok, rounded square) icon required, but it wouldn't just be the logo, be it coin, square or otherwise in the square. It would probably be a wallet, with a bitcoin poking out etc, using the space well to emphasise not only that the app is bitcoin related but also that it is a wallet...

Obviously I like my design or else I wouldn't have done it, but regardless of which logo you use, it has to A) sum up bitcoin well, and B) be usable in all colours/mediums (which is why I kept my version very simple; small size won't kill it, nor will low-gamut or even single-gamut printing etc.).  If those two factors are not the overriding objectives here, then you don't need and shouldn't use a new logo, since the old one has very good brand recognition (hence why I tried to stay as close as possible to it)

Ahh...I see the confusion. I mean the bounding box...not the actual logo shape (eg, a circle has a square bounding box, an oval would be a rectangle).

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 02:16:35 AM

@Coinabul -- What's the good word?

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 04:53:30 AM

Bump

Coinabul (OP)

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 07:52:51 PM

Bump

Sorry, been traveling.
I haven't heard anything from my designer yet. I might have to look for another one Sad

Oinsane1

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:27:40 AM

i live the small bar horizontal.. 2/3 o the way down

the double vertical bars.. looks like jail
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: