Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:44:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Look at a pirate, eye to eye if you dare.  (Read 60650 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 10:23:31 AM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 10:24:58 AM

My point with my post was not primarily to have Pirate identity outed. It was more that the impression from this thread that an in-group of people was playing with an out-group of people was beginning to annoy me - with small hints and the giving out of small dots requiring each and everyone to spend time connecting all the dots (i.e. who is pirate on this picture). It is this kind of behaviour that I don't find particularly professional.

Now imagine a group of people claiming that anyone that did meet pirate will somehow be responsible for pirate's actions, simply because the  person(s) met him and now you can understand why some people are intentionally vague as to their meeting of pirate.  They don't want to deal with the BS.

Wow, you are taking those idiots seriously? Just let me state that in no way would make you responsible for any of Pirate his actions. Was that actually unclear for anyone? People that state such things have completely lost any connection to the actual world.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 10:39:19 AM

My point with my post was not primarily to have Pirate identity outed. It was more that the impression from this thread that an in-group of people was playing with an out-group of people was beginning to annoy me - with small hints and the giving out of small dots requiring each and everyone to spend time connecting all the dots (i.e. who is pirate on this picture). It is this kind of behaviour that I don't find particularly professional.

Now imagine a group of people claiming that anyone that did meet pirate will somehow be responsible for pirate's actions, simply because the  person(s) met him and now you can understand why some people are intentionally vague as to their meeting of pirate.  They don't want to deal with the BS.

Wow, you are taking those idiots seriously? Just let me state that in no way would make you responsible for any of Pirate his actions. Was that actually unclear for anyone? People that state such things have completely lost any connection to the actual world.

I get that, the important bit is the "They don't want to deal with the BS."  Regardless if its even remotely accurate or not, people continue to spew tons of crap, completely unrestrained.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:24:38 AM

True, but if you do not want to deal with the bullshit completely disregard their comments and see it as white noise. Please, do not let it influence your decisions.
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:45:20 AM

I don't believe any of this (except for a small subset of this that I do believe but can't quite remember).

Tendon Shivers isn't a real person just a front for GNUMAX.

My own research has shown that pirate is really Mary Read, the notorious 18th century pirate.  Check it out for yourself on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Read,  It say's "pirate" right there in the first sentence.

Of course most of the Wikipedia article is lies.  So I just make up the rest of the truth.   Read is really about 400 years old.  Among her pre-pirating accomplishments were the writing of several, but not all, of Shakespeare's plays.  Well more accurately she stole several of Shakespeare's plays and improved them to the point that she is for the most part is the real author.

Her father was an interesting character too.  Among other things he coined the name "Netherlands".
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:48:00 AM

I don't believe any of this (except for a small subset of this that I do believe but can't quite remember).

Tendon Shivers isn't a real person just a front for GNUMAX.

My own research has shown that pirate is really Mary Read, the notorious 18th century pirate.  Check it out for yourself on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Read,  It say's "pirate" right there in the first sentence.

Of course most of the Wikipedia article is lies.  So I just make up the rest of the truth.   Read is really about 400 years old.  Among her pre-pirating accomplishments were the writing of several, but not all, of Shakespeare's plays.  Well more accurately she stole several of Shakespeare's plays and improved them to the point that she is for the most part is the real author.

Her father was an interesting character too.  Among other things he coined the name "Netherlands".
LIES! I have met this "Netherlands" and it is nothing like what you describe!

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Just out of curiosity... how was defcon ? Anyone know when the presentations usually make it online ?

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:03:21 PM

So, just to reiterate, Bitcoiners were meeting right beside DefCon and not going in.

Yeah, it's everyone's own choice and a matter of taste so What is this I don't even
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:05:08 PM

So, just to reiterate, Bitcoiners were meeting right beside DefCon and not going in.

Yeah, it's everyone's own choice and a matter of taste so What is this I don't even
Zomg my brainwallet might get hax

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:11:59 PM

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 03:05:45 PM

Just out of curiosity... how was defcon ? Anyone know when the presentations usually make it online ?

All video presentations, including mine, should be available around december. Some talk about my experience on this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96434.0

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:55:39 PM

I can to a point understand why people are being vague about this, it's more the impression of people being playfully vague that got to me.

That's just it... we have two options: be playful about it or get annoyed.  Every single thread that remotely mentions pirate gets inundated with crap by people asking questions with easy to find answers and spreading accusations with no evidence.

As you can see, being honest doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Everyone invested in pirate has an interest in finding out about him, just in case..
Even people which are not invested with may have an interest in Pirate being legitimate and honest in his business practices, as it is directly linked to the reputation of bitcoin and the whole community. I would not like bitcoin to be labeled as an unsecure scam ridden project, doomed to fail for its vulnerabilities to hacking and scam schemes. I know better, but it is hard to explain to the rest of the world if all they get from the media is the catastophes.

Also, pls digg some more into the seeming information you found on Pirate, it is hard for me to believe, that someone with a couple of million of borrowed dollars sitting in his chest lets such information laying around for everyone else easily to find. Especially, because he is so secretive with all his business in general. Maybe try to meet him at his home address, call his phone number and see who answers, or seek some confirmation on his birth in local registers, because it would be highly naive to believe anything you happened to find on Google.

True.  You shouldn't just blindly trust google.  However, I'm only willing to share what is obviously public information.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:56:40 PM

Yes, I flew around the world to go to Vegas. I went to play craps with Pirate and it was epic.

I did go to the Rio to have lunch with Mike Caldwell of Casasius coins. He was a cool guy as well. But other than that yeah, no defcon. Too much fun was to be had!

What?!??! How could you possibly have different ideas about how to spend your time?

You must be a scammer Roll Eyes.

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:16:03 PM

From a legal standpoint, you'd be partially liable in the event of a default if you were found to be knowingly advertising a ponzi.

That said, it'd be damn-near impossible to prove and I'm sure the case wouldn't even come up unless someone sued you directly...
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:23:25 PM

Having met Pirate != Knowing how he runs his business
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 04:57:30 PM

That might be in a court of law, but not so much in the court of Bitcoiners.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:58:47 PM

That might be in a court of law, but not so much in the court of Bitcoiners.

There is no such court.  You sure have a strong imagination.

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 05:02:06 PM

And you have none. We are all the court of bitcoiners. And when the ponzi falls apart, we'll all look back at the people in the top tier that supported it and pass judgement.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:04:51 PM

And you have none. We are all the court of bitcoiners. And when the ponzi falls apart, we'll all look back at the people in the top tier that supported it and pass judgement.

And that judgement will be done on an individual basis... not by some imaginary collective.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:11:30 PM

But saying to have met Pirate (when in fact this was true) can never, by any rational fair person, be considered the same as being an accomplice. Whether this is according to any law is secondary, the very derivation is a non sequitur.

of course there are many actions that will lead to condemnation (actually being an accomplice to a Ponzi scam would be one of them for me personally).

I would just like people to speak their minds on these forums as opposed to hiding is small private groups and hiding behind jokes in fear of being condemned for doing nothings wrong. (Of course, if people are in fact are committing wrongdoings its a different story altogether).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: