Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:41:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitstamp 18,000 bitcoins stolen? -confirmed  (Read 14986 times)
mike81

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:57:07 PM

No, that still has the old statement. The coindesk article contains a new one from Bitstamps CEO admitting the 19000 BTC are lost.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:58:31 PM

No, that still has the old statement. The coindesk article contains a new one from Bitstamps CEO admitting the 19000 BTC are lost.

Maybe through email , try to check because I'm not registered on bitstamp.
mike81

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:00:36 PM

Impossible to login on their homepage, you can check that yourself :-)
lay785

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:02:32 PM

so if bitstamp is going to refund the stolen bitcoins arent they going to have to repurchase 19k bitcoins from somewhere #slippage #rally
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:16:34 PM

An huge dump will start very soon , people are very tired....
bitcodo

Activity: 509
Merit: 500

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:20:03 PM

24-year-old Nejc Kodrič and only a few years older Damijan Merlak the young man who will be next year probably landed on a scale richest Slovenes Manager magazine. In the past month have earned what is around 5.5 million....

They have enough money to cover this loss.

I just hope they don't spend it all. In this case, I claim this car.  Cool

PS.: They have each one car, so second one is still unclaimed.  Wink
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:23:44 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

timestamp of the last trascaction -> 10:12.

bitstamp down from 10:12.

so they sent the funds to cold storage. And there is no issue I am hoping.  Smiley

the question here is whose cold storage is that.

They stopped with deposits 3h before last transaction...

doesnt mean anything really, because someone could have sent his coins to the stamp's hacked hot wallet addresses.

in fact, I will send 1 satoshie to my old stamp address right about now just for fun.

To tarmi : Some new transactions can be seen on the "Hack" address. Could you see if some of these satoshis come from your address?

aaand its gone.

my satoshis are gone.

confirmed.
celebreze32

Activity: 296

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:40:25 PM

Impossible to login on their homepage, you can check that yourself :-)

I can view a statement on their site. It just shows a maintenance page at present with a short statement about the compromised wallet. It's the original statement released, with less information in it than the one in the coindesk article.

https://www.bitstamp.net/
lay785

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:43:34 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

timestamp of the last trascaction -> 10:12.

bitstamp down from 10:12.

so they sent the funds to cold storage. And there is no issue I am hoping.  Smiley

the question here is whose cold storage is that.

They stopped with deposits 3h before last transaction...

doesnt mean anything really, because someone could have sent his coins to the stamp's hacked hot wallet addresses.

in fact, I will send 1 satoshie to my old stamp address right about now just for fun.

To tarmi : Some new transactions can be seen on the "Hack" address. Could you see if some of these satoshis come from your address?

aaand its gone.

my satoshis are gone.

confirmed.

Miners raking it in on these fees dang...
mike81

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:49:06 PM

I can view a statement on their site. It just shows a maintenance page at present with a short statement about the compromised wallet. It's the original statement released, with less information in it than the one in the coindesk article.

Right, i did notice that. That statement hasn't been changed since this morning. The statement on the coindesk article is (according to coindesk) an official statement from the CEO of Bitstamp. My original question was where coindesk got this statement from. It has no source but does contain new information which i cannot find anywhere else. My guess is Coindesk has spoken with him at CES but if so that, imo, should be added to the article.
celebreze32

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:04:14 AM

Right, i did notice that. That statement hasn't been changed since this morning. The statement on the coindesk article is (according to coindesk) an official statement from the CEO of Bitstamp. My original question was where coindesk got this statement from. It has no source but does contain new information which i cannot find anywhere else. My guess is Coindesk has spoken with him at CES but if so that, imo, should be added to the article.

This site says they were given the statement directly. I assume they mean by Bitstamp.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/241432

"In a statement to Entrepreneur late Monday, Bitstamp said that less than 19,000 BTC, or about $5.1 million at today's pricing, was lost and assured that all customers will be able to recover the balances they held before service was halted."

Bitstamp might have been issuing the same statement to a few Bitcoin news sites.
tyrexs

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:09:49 AM

the question is real stolen or just statement they got stolen?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:20:51 AM

I will be open here and say that a few days before this hack happened I was tinkering with the idea of cashing out a hefty sum of my Bitcoins to speculate with and I would have sold at a good price but would be stuck with " fiat" stuck in bitstamp while they recover from said hack.

Glad I didn't follow through on this. Dodged a bullet there.

Small transfers over time are better risk management than sending one large chunk of BTC to cash out.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:21:56 AM

Coins are safe in cold storage in my possession.   Smiley

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:22:40 AM

If they got robbed, you would think they have some form of insurance covering the losses.
Fees they get per trade should IMO cover any flaw or hack that gets exploited.

If they have learned anything from GOX they will give people their money without fuss and bite the bullet.
If they do that trust in Bitcoin will remain and they will be a trusted and respected exchange.

For now they are taking the only valid approach and that is shutting it down to stop any secondary hacks and scan for forensics.

I have no money in Bitstamp but I am looking how Bitstamp resolves this problem.  Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
mike81

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:24:20 AM

I will be open here and say that a few days before this hack happened I was tinkering with the idea of cashing out a hefty sum of my Bitcoins to speculate with and I would have sold at a good price but would be stuck with " fiat" stuck in bitstamp while they recover from said hack.

Small transfers over time are better risk management than sending one large chunk of BTC to cash out.

Thanks, thats exactly what i did do...  Roll Eyes
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:37:39 AM

If they got robbed, you would think they have some form of insurance covering the losses.

If they have learned anything from GOX they will give people their money without fuss and bite the bullet.
If they do that trust in Bitcoin will remain and they will be a trusted and respected exchange.

For now they are taking the only valid approach and that is shutting it down to stop any secondary hacks and scan for forensics.

I have no money in Bitstamp but I am looking how Bitstamp resolves this problem.  Smiley

I would imagine there would be a run on coins and fiat to get out of bitstamp as soon as f*cking possible.

If I had a hefty sum of BTC and/or fiat I would want 100% of each out of there as soon as possible

If bitstamp doesn't have enough of their own stash to cover the losses and a run on coins and fiat withdraws they will be mtgox 2.

Biting the bullet would be ideal for trust of their customers.

If they don't bite the bullet and cover the losses and allow full BTC and fiat withdrawals with no unnecessary delays... I will never use them again and will do the same as I did with mtgox and post all over this forum how they are hiding their insolvency.

Let us hope they step up to the plate and take the loss from their own funds and let people get their money out.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:41:28 AM

Thanks, thats exactly what i did do...  Roll Eyes

Are you saying you were considering cashing out a nice chunk about the same time I was?

Just to not follow through?

For me it was the holidays spending time with family and being busy making coins that stopped me from sending BTC to bitstamp.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

celebreze32

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:07:16 AM

I would imagine there would be a run on coins and fiat to get out of bitstamp as soon as f*cking possible.

If I had a hefty sum of BTC and/or fiat I would want 100% of each out of there as soon as possible

If bitstamp doesn't have enough of their own stash to cover the losses and a run on coins and fiat withdraws they will be mtgox 2.

Biting the bullet would be ideal for trust of their customers.

If they don't bite the bullet and cover the losses and allow full BTC and fiat withdrawals with no unnecessary delays... I will never use them again and will do the same as I did with mtgox and post all over this forum how they are hiding their insolvency.

Let us hope they step up to the plate and take the loss from their own funds and let people get their money out.

This article says Bitstamp got $10m investment from Pantera Capital in 2013. That alone's enough to cover a $5m loss.

http://www.coindesk.com/paypal-bitstamp-chief-compliance-officer/

celebreze32

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:11:48 AM

The new statement appeared on https://www.bitstamp.net/ at 12:34am UTC.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: