Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:45:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [KOBO] Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa  (Read 127489 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 08:46:41 AM

- Research Multipools and how we can use them - I'll talk to devs who've set this up for PoS coins Not yet done

You can contact with Starin about multipool and ICM for PoS coins.
Thanks. Will do.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 12:27:48 AM

UPDATE

I've been researching what it would take to get a multipool online. I'm not sure it's something required at this time, but once I've got all the details and pricing I'll make a decision on that one. I really want to see how other PoS coins have performed after adding a multipool. There's a few empty multipools out there. I don't want us to join that list.

We're now looking for a partner in Africa. There's many possibilities. We're also still looking for a partner in China. I did find an outfit but their service wasn't really compatible with ours. I'm still waiting to hear back from BTC38 (if anyone knows their usernames on here it might help - getting a reply in crypto is a lottery sometimes.

This week I'll start looking at kobo paper wallets (and cards as a possible future way of purchasing kobo from local stores). There's many ways of doing it. I'm thinking of a simple foldover type of paper wallet. It's needed.

The mobile wallet is now having the exchange rate feature added. Once that's finished I'll get the update released on all the necessary repositories.

I'll keep on with trying to get communications going with the services identified.

opticoin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:02:35 AM

thank you for the updates...  I hope Kobo can get into shapeshift.io soon.

@b1007... it only needs at least one African-based entity (particularly, an NGO engaged in projects in the region) to embrace KOBO and it will jumpstart the use of Kobo in Africa...    big sell volume is drying  up..  you can't get 50000 or 100000s unless you buy  up or someone dumps...

-- maybe someone can set up an online exchange (for  legit African products & services) that  exclusively uses kobocoin? .. It does not need to be a big one, something to jumpstart the use of kobo... kobomarket, anyone? ... and the online exchange should have shapeshift API so holders of other cryptos can  seamlessly convert to Kobos when using the online market.

opticoin

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:24:21 AM

was thinking of something similar to these sites, but will only use kobo for payment/fund transfer

http://www.africaheartwoodproject.org
https://www.outofafricatrading.com/
http://shop.indegoafrica.org/

or,  maybe if any of these sites would adopt Kobocoin as alternative payment system for its Africa-based suppliers, cheaper than credit card or Paypal.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 08:31:21 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2015, 08:57:02 AM by TheTribesman

was thinking of something similar to these sites, but will only use kobo for payment/fund transfer

http://www.africaheartwoodproject.org
https://www.outofafricatrading.com/
http://shop.indegoafrica.org/

or,  maybe if any of these sites would adopt Kobocoin as alternative payment system for its Africa-based suppliers, cheaper than credit card or Paypal.
I'm in the process of setting us up on a payment gateway (http://Cointopay.com). Once this is done we have a payment gateway that we can encourage merchants to integrate with their sites. People can then purchase products/services with kobo.
(their website seems flaky right now but they are a good service to get onto).

Products from any supplier can then be added to their markets page where people can buy them directly in kobo.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 11:16:53 AM

The exchange rate functionality is halfway there. Send/Receive is working, now it's the main page and exchange rate listings that need to be done. I prefer the rates list supplied on the Bitcoin wallet. It includes a lot of African currencies. There is a short version (used by other mobile wallets) which only deals with the major world currencies. This is acceptable but I'm going for the full list (until told otherwise).

Taken from https://www.cryptonator.com/api/ticker/kobo-gbp

I now have an android developer helping with ad hoc work (so no more late nights for me!). He's now working on getting those rates added.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 11:47:28 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated dev.

I think it's very important that Africans are able to buy Kobocoin easily. Perhaps it's possible to somehow sell Kobocoin on the Kobocoin website where you sell against exchange prices asking only a small commission? Or perhaps build in a fiat to Kobocoin exchange in the wallet? I know I am just suggesting things from the sidelines and that is very easy and I know there is much regulation, technology etc. involved so I know that in the short run it's perhaps not possible to sell Kobocoin in any other way than via crypto exchanges, but are steps going to be taken towards implementing a feasible distribution model for Kobocoin in Africa?
Yes, buying kobo from the exchange is only for advanced users. We are looking at ways to allow people to buy kobo direct using credit cards, PayPal, paper wallets, and cards. We have a distribution model that we're working towards, but I don't want to give away too much detail at the moment.

The biggest problem is not really people buying it though. People want to buy kobo from us, but their first questions are always:

1. What can I buy with it?
2. How do I cash out?

I really want to address those two questions asap. I'm hoping we can start here: http://cointopay.com/M_MarketOverview.jsp

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 08:25:25 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 11:50:56 PM by TheTribesman

btw I don't know whether it's a helpfull suggestion but Guldencoin, which is a Dutch national crypto currency, has created an app with which people can pay with Guldencoin and the merchants can either choose to receive fiat currency or Guldencoin. Perhaps such an app where merchants can instantly receive fiat currency when they receive Kobocoin or vice versa can make it easier to get merchants to accept Kobocoin. That way receiving Kobocoin as a payment is riskless and once Kobocoin is integrated into the African economy those worries will pass away naturally introducing a period that marks the transition from hesitant adoption to a new confident monetary/micro-economic system Smiley
Very good point. It's what's we're trying to achieve with the remittance and other services we're getting up and running. The hope is that if the remittance service is up and running, and some marketplaces are also available, then kobo users will feel more confident to hold onto them, and also start using kobo for purchases rather than immediately cashing out to local FIAT. Then we'll be moving towards a full currency model.

It will take some time as people need to get used to the concept of cryptocurrency and blockchain, but it will get there in the end in one form or another. I think it's a hard sell to try to introduce any crypto as a mature currency (even bitcoin). Consumer trust isn't fully there yet. I personally believe that once bitcoin is generally accepted and trusted (trust is very important) that it will generate trust in other altcoins as well.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 03:36:33 AM

UPDATE (Quick one)

- We are being added to http://www.cointopay.com/ - I'll post update when it's operational.
- I've been in contact with https://www.edigicash.co/ - They require extra info.
- I've been in contact with BTC38. We are being considered but it may take some time.

olcaytu2005
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:11:44 AM

UPDATE (Quick one)

- We are being added to http://www.cointopay.com/ - I'll post update when it's operational.
- I've been in contact with https://www.edigicash.co/ - They require extra info.
- I've been in contact with BTC38. We are being considered but it may take some time.

İ appriciate your works. You are still eager to update this coin. İ wish you succeed in west africa.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 10:49:28 AM

UPDATE (Quick one)

İ appriciate your works. You are still eager to update this coin. İ wish you succeed in west africa.
Thanks. Once we're on a payment gateway we can integrate it into merchant sites. There are a few new online African shopping sites that could benefit from getting involved with cryptos.

opticoin

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 11:01:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrRXP1tp6Kw&feature=player_embedded

I imagine this is how it will work once the remittance service is online... just replace bitcoin with kobocoin in the dialogue.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:01:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrRXP1tp6Kw&feature=player_embedded

I imagine this is how it will work once the remittance service is online... just replace bitcoin with kobocoin in the dialogue.

+1000, therefore it's essential to accentuate the advantages of Kobocoin over Bitcoin!
Thanks Guys. That's a great video and exactly how I'd like it to work. I've been thinking about a special webpage etc, but this video shows exactly how I'd like it to work for kobo. Buy from anywhere and send it to whoever and then they cash out. It's a lot simpler than building a full remittance website.

The challenge is getting it recognised and valued. This is why I've been going for the payment gateways. Once we're on a payment gateway I can go to merchants and push Kobocoin. I'm even prepared to help integrate it into any website that's interested.

Keeping up with competition, http://bitx.co has just opened a Nigeria office. Bitcoin companies are taking note of Africa now so I'd best get my skates on!

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:47:07 PM

QUICK UPDATE (Plus a silly question)

We now have an opportunity to be listed on Poloniex. Do we go for this, bearing in mind the low volume we experienced on CCEX? There's no point being listed only to be delisted in a few weeks/months. There is a cost involved. I don't want to waste money.

This may sound like a stupid question but I'd like to know what you think?

Also, do we go for BTC only, or BTC and LTC (if we go for it). Both options are now possible.

opticoin

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 02:51:57 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2015, 03:03:46 PM by opticoin

I vote for concentrating and saving resources: stay on Bittrex & Yobit only..

.. can we get the community's comments/input re: kobocoin's advantage over bitcoin?

why use kobocoin instead of bitcoin:

-one of the possible use of kobocoin is in transportation -  buses, vans, taxis or uber-like transpo in Africa.

- I think kobo is getting traction now...  when regional cryptocurrency gets momentum , I'm positive that when Africa is discussed, kobocoin will be mentioned with it/   this is like the early days of bitcoin  ... exciting days ahead for early investors.
penoze
Legendary

Activity: 1235

https://minepi.com/cryptomeneer

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:37:16 PM

QUICK UPDATE (Plus a silly question)

We now have an opportunity to be listed on Poloniex. Do we go for this, bearing in mind the low volume we experienced on CCEX? There's no point being listed only to be delisted in a few weeks/months. There is a cost involved. I don't want to waste money.

This may sound like a stupid question but I'd like to know what you think?

Also, do we go for BTC only, or BTC and LTC (if we go for it). Both options are now possible.

I think if kobo is listed on poloniex is a step forward.
I don't think KOBO needs LTC pairs.

Gumbork

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:20:06 PM

I vote for concentrating and saving resources: stay on Bittrex & Yobit only..

.. can we get the community's comments/input re: kobocoin's advantage over bitcoin?

why use kobocoin instead of bitcoin:

-one of the possible use of kobocoin is in transportation -  buses, vans, taxis or uber-like transpo in Africa.

- I think kobo is getting traction now...  when regional cryptocurrency gets momentum , I'm positive that when Africa is discussed, kobocoin will be mentioned with it/   this is like the early days of bitcoin  ... exciting days ahead for early investors.

how is kobo being promoted in the African region ?

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 08:57:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. So far it's 2-1 to stay with Bittrex.

How are we promoting this in Africa?

1. We've already had many enquiries and new users from Africa, but as said earlier, the 2 questions we're always getting asked are "what can I buy or do with them?" and "How do I cash out?".
2. We've been getting pricing for billboard advertising. We're thinking about intercity expressways and strategic placements at city road junctions. We want kobocoin to feel like part of the infrastructure.
3. We've also been getting pricing for ads in traditional press

I've started looking for suitable partners all over the continent. It's a challenge because many companies aren't aware of how to get started in crypto. This is why I'm pushing for KOBO to be part of payment gateways. Then I can speak to a number of online stores about accepting KOBO but being paid in FIAT (this is how some of the gateways work - how?? I need to investigate!).

On that front, I've just confirmed with Cointopay that we shall be part of their gateway from 20th July. Once we're on, I will start speaking to all the online retailers. I'm prepared to integrate the payment gateway myself if need be. This will mean that it's possible for the sites that do integrate the gateway to accept a number of cryptos, not just KOBO. I'm not too worried about that. It will be a step forward for every crypto involved, but at least KOBO will be there. I've also heard back from eDigicash. I have to provide API documentation for inclusion there so it may be some time for that to happen.

Once we have one site on board I believe I'll be able to convince other retailers to join up. If it costs them nothing, but increases their reach into the market I'm hoping they may be favourable to the proposal.

Then we can show users where their kobo can be used. At the moment there's people holding kobo with nowhere to use it. Not the best. That's why I'm making sure the exchange rate function is working. It would be nice for them to see how much the kobo they're holding is worth. At the moment new users are asking how much they're worth, and in some cases, what are they?? The price detail will help users see it as having a real value other than just being 'a new internet thing' or remittance token.

It might seem slow with the publicity, but I'd really like to have something solid to publicise. We are getting there. I've started looking at comparing KOBO with other African currencies e.g https://twitter.com/kobocoindev/status/618359316085669888/ -  I'll be doing a lot more of these to show how KOBO is doing against local FIAT.

It's still a long road. Kobocoin is 5 months old today (feels like 5 years in dev time!). At the risk of having you all run away, I see Skype and UBER as role models for Kobocoin. They've been around for ages building their brand, having ups and downs, and making moves. And look at them today. As long as we stay steadfast and keep putting one foot in front of the other so that each week we're a step forward from the previous week, then I'm sure we'll get there.

I'm looking forward to kobo being on a payment gateway.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 10:11:12 PM

Dang dev, sounds like you are a one-man-army in cryptoland Cheesy awesome updates! Make it happen, YOLO!
LOL! My daughter gets upset when I use YOLO. I'm too old for smh, kmt, etc etc

I've been banging on about cryptos having to be more than just 'a coin', and usage needing to be a priority for years now. I hope kobo can make it happen!
 Smiley

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 10:16:09 PM

Dang dev, sounds like you are a one-man-army in cryptoland

Some might say I'm Johnny no mates!!
 Cheesy

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: