Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:21:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [KOBO] Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa  (Read 127489 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 08:53:45 PM

Thanks guys. I could do with some help on those fronts but so far the offers of help haven't materialized. I've also had some other major personal issues that I won't go into here that really took me off the project, so yes, the SWOT analysis was spot on there. The kobo community is small but loyal. I'll keep the updates coming, and keep things moving forward.

@b1007 What do you mean by online wallet trading?

I want to integrate kobo into African webshops. It only take one site to jump on to make a difference but getting that one site is a real challenge. Webshops aren't there to be friends with new projects. They wants their money for their products. Some devs have bought products and sold them for their currency. I'll look into that. Noblecoin was very good with gift vouchers, and at one time, users in Australia could pay bills using NOBL (but look at NOBL price now - it can get disheartening).

I'll look into selling kobo direct from the website. My only concern is making sure I don't fall foul of the authorities.

One thing I've been wondering about is alts having a committee of some sort. We could help move each other forward, but sometimes I think the alts industry is just too cutthroat for that to happen.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bram_vnl
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

what i see this a really good coin!

@dev if you need help i can help you with some things!
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 09:26:56 PM

Thanks guys. I could do with some help on those fronts but so far the offers of help haven't materialized. I've also had some other major personal issues that I won't go into here that really took me off the project, so yes, the SWOT analysis was spot on there. The kobo community is small but loyal. I'll keep the updates coming, and keep things moving forward.

@b1007 What do you mean by online wallet trading?

I want to integrate kobo into African webshops. It only take one site to jump on to make a difference but getting that one site is a real challenge. Webshops aren't there to be friends with new projects. They wants their money for their products. Some devs have bought products and sold them for their currency. I'll look into that. Noblecoin was very good with gift vouchers, and at one time, users in Australia could pay bills using NOBL (but look at NOBL price now - it can get disheartening).

I'll look into selling kobo direct from the website. My only concern is making sure I don't fall foul of the authorities.

One thing I've been wondering about is alts having a committee of some sort. We could help move each other forward, but sometimes I think the alts industry is just too cutthroat for that to happen.
What I meant by online wallet trading I was actually referring to the option of just using Kobocoin to shop online on webshops. I don't know anything about webshops in Africa though, but perhaps you can specialize in selling smartphones with an extra discount in Nigeria or something like that where Africans can pay using Kobocoin. You can offer them free Kobocoins for every purchase and ofcourse you'd also need a Kobocoin exchange in order to make mass adoption easier. Please take a look here at the post of LTEX to see what such an exchange looks like;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554412.12160

I think such an exchange is absolutely necessary, it gives investors, consumers and merchants the convenient option of trading Kobocoin for fiat and vice versa and makes Kobocoin independent of the fluctuations of the Bitcoin. Selling Kobocoin from your website is also a very good idea.

Once your own webshop is starting to sell then perhaps you can approach other webshops in the area to start accepting Kobocoin.

I also have the tendency to look for potential problems when there ain't none, but I think it's better to focus on your goals and do whatever you can and whatever happens happens, you learn, evolve and adjust, that's how evolution works. We came from literally nothing and here we are living, breathing, creating, inspiring etc. Life is a journey, without hardships you wouldn't be able to enjoy the good moments so much. I am glad you made the decision to push this project forwards, though I must say you do a lot on your own. Perhaps you can consider yourself a CEO but perhaps you should also start making some chain of command structure to succesfully run your project as I am sure you already have a lot on your hands. Finally, I would suggest to stop focussing on other altcoins and bitcoin like they don't even exist, 95 percent of coins are BS scams anywayz, you have a vision, do anything to realize that vision, the feeling you feel when you have succeed can't be bought.

Sorry about your personal problems, life often knows no mercy, it's short however, us human beings we often feel like we live in a secure bubble but life from a cosmic view is just a split second, YOLO do anything you can while you still can, even during the hardships. I wish you all the luck and strenght you need  Wink

Thanks. Good ideas and advice there. I think you're right in that I need to forget about how other coins are doing (though sometimes I think it helps to gauge where you are).

Let me mull over some of the points you've raised there. I'm happy to delegate, but I have to make sure I know what direction kobo's heading before doing that. Getting interest back up is important. As you said, updates and successes will do that. Getting on cointopay was good but with low exchange volume it was hard to start offering it to merchants.

I'm on it. As for life showing no mercy, it's never shown me any mercy, anyways. I've fought for every scrap I've ever had. I'm that alley-cat wailing into the night because it's leg's been caught in a trap (but it still won't let go of the chicken leg in it's mouth). We'll prevail. It's a long game and we're still in it. We also have great infrastructure to build on.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 09:27:20 PM

what i see this a really good coin!

@dev if you need help i can help you with some things!
Thanks! I'll PM you.

KidCrypto

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 09:30:10 PM

Awesome active dev, whats the market cap?
KidCrypto

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 09:33:26 PM

Do you guys know you are about to be delisted on bittrex tomorrow? Not enough volume yet
KidCrypto

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:49:03 PM

Do you guys know you are about to be delisted on bittrex tomorrow? Not enough volume yet

Yeah we are aware of that problem but it would not be disastrous since there are different aspects of the Kobocoin project that need to expand first anywayz before we can realise a take-off of the Kobocoin eco-system.  Wink

All you have to do is spend less than $2 to fake some volume. Geez I guess no one cares
Jacksp

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:53:43 PM

Bittrex alert:
This market is in danger of de-listing due to low trade volume and lack of user interest. It may be removed on Sept 18th unless the average daily trade volume for the last 7 days exceeds 0.2 BTC.
KidCrypto

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:01:24 PM

I saved us this time. I'm very surprised no one else did this since I hold barely any coins...
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 04:19:03 PM

I saved us this time. I'm very surprised no one else did this since I hold barely any coins...
Thanks!
The Bittrex delisting comment has been there for a very long time (and it seems to be getting updated each time one date passes). It seems to have been on permanently since July. I've been buying to stop delisting for a very long time. I'm in danger of holding too much kobo.

I'm in the process of updating the ABE server which is supplying validhashes to the mobile wallets. The Kobocoind on that server crashes every few days and it takes half a day to rebuild the ABE database. It has to be resolved.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 04:19:45 PM

Yeah we are aware of that problem but it would not be disastrous since there are different aspects of the Kobocoin project that need to expand first anywayz before we can realise a take-off of the Kobocoin eco-system.  Wink

All you have to do is spend less than $2 to fake some volume. Geez I guess no one cares
Also, when needed, I do this (more than $2) on Yobit as well.

b1007

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:32:26 PM

Thanks!
The Bittrex delisting comment has been there for a very long time (and it seems to be getting updated each time one date passes). It seems to have been on permanently since July. I've been buying to stop delisting for a very long time. I'm in danger of holding too much kobo.

I'm in the process of updating the ABE server which is supplying validhashes to the mobile wallets. The Kobocoind on that server crashes every few days and it takes half a day to rebuild the ABE database. It has to be resolved.

Good to see you still manage the time to controll this project  Smiley. Glad to own my stash of Kobocoin.  Wink

I like to speculate
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 12:28:28 AM

I've been spending the last few weeks thinking of how we can move things forward with Kobo. I was trying to find some way of evolving Kobo without it being dependent on user/merchant acceptance of the principles of crypto technology (in the short term - I believe this will change over time). I think I have a solution for the short term. Your feedback is appreciated.

I'm going to develop the kobo mobile wallet to double up as a news aggregator, with an emphasis on crypto and mobile money news stories (maybe even a crypto prices function as well). This will mean the evolution of the existing mobile wallet to include a splash screen and a default news feed function. I'll also look into what's required for adding a news feed to the desktop wallets. I'll also setup the twitter account to pull news and price info from feeds so the account is more dynamic.

This doesn't mean that other merchant acceptance plans are being forgotten or shelved. This just allows for further development of the kobo infrastructure while public perception of cryptocurrencies grows. It will mean that we have a constantly updating mobile wallet with a lot of relevant news features. Over time this will be added to. I'm also going to look into pulling online items for sale into the feed as well. Initially, people will still have to use FIAT to buy any items pulled into the feeds from online merchants, but kobo will have that association with news and mobile shopping. It may also open up doors to other new ways to evolve e.g. the beginnings of kobo micropayments and subscriptions.

It's a platform to move into other areas of commerce without, initially, being wholly dependent on exchange volume. If the platform is developed then hopefully exchange volume will grow with it as well.

This is not going to happen overnight but I'm hoping there will be something tangible to show by the end of the year. I will be farming out this development work.
 Smiley

b1007

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 12:37:56 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2019, 11:41:42 PM by b1007

I've been spending the last few weeks thinking of how we can move things forward with Kobo. I was trying to find some way of evolving Kobo without it being dependent on user/merchant acceptance of the principles of crypto technology (in the short term - I believe this will change over time). I think I have a solution for the short term. Your feedback is appreciated.

I'm going to develop the kobo mobile wallet to double up as a news aggregator, with an emphasis on crypto and mobile money news stories (maybe even a crypto prices function as well). This will mean the evolution of the existing mobile wallet to include a splash screen and a default news feed function. I'll also look into what's required for adding a news feed to the desktop wallets. I'll also setup the twitter account to pull news and price info from feeds so the account is more dynamic.

This doesn't mean that other merchant acceptance plans are being forgotten or shelved. This just allows for further development of the kobo infrastructure while public perception of cryptocurrencies grows. It will mean that we have a constantly updating mobile wallet with a lot of relevant news features. Over time this will be added to. I'm also going to look into pulling online items for sale into the feed as well. Initially, people will still have to use FIAT to buy any items pulled into the feeds from online merchants, but kobo will have that association with news and mobile shopping. It may also open up doors to other new ways to evolve e.g. micropayment subscriptions.

It's a platform to move into other areas of commerce without, initially, being wholly dependent on exchange volume. If the platform is developed then hopefully exchange volume will grow with it as well.

This is not going to happen overnight but I'm hoping there will be something tangible to show by the end of the year. I will be farming out this development work.
 Smiley

Sounds great! I am confident sometime soon in the future the fiat-Kobocoin exchange issue will be resolved because almost all coins face this same problem,

I like to speculate
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 09:01:41 PM

Sounds great! I am sure sometime soon in the future the fiat-Kobocoin exchange issue will be resolved because almost all coins face this same problem, I am sure it's only a matter of time before a universal Fiat-coin exchange is launched. Meanwhile you are doing a great job. I wonder though, since Kobo is tarageted at Africa, perhaps it's best to finetune the kobocoin mobile wallet to crypto and mobile money news stories in the region, perhaps you could sometimes edit some articles or upload your own articles in which you mention why Kobocoin provides great solutions when it comes to issues raised in those articles. That way you are building and educating a market which makes mass adoption easier in the long run. Just my two satoshis, I think it's a great idea, will definitely download the mobile wallet once you have got it going. Also maybe a chatroom on your website where Kobo users can help each other out and share ideas etc. might also be a good idea.  Smiley  Wink
Thanks! That's the plan (the news being fine tuned for crypto and Africa, though not only). I'll also write some pieces, and I will get some proper marketing out there. I'll look into getting a kobo forum on the website once the new wallet is released.

There's a lot going on in finance, especially now that Apple Pay is out hoping to take over the world. A lot of banks are getting into crypto as well, but the systems they're looking into building seem to be so intrusive that I believe they'll end up being worse than the current credit system. The principles behind what they're trying to achieve sound promising, but just wait and see what happens when you try to transfer money abroad with these new blockchain (cashless) systems. Their restrictive practices will encourage/push people to find an alternative. We need to make sure we're still here with good reliable systems when that time comes.

EBK1000
Legendary

Activity: 1148

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:38:32 PM

The volume is near zero now and it appears that the block explorer is down? Is there a working block explorer?

Soooooooon...............
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 07:43:52 AM

Thanks. There's a few issues. The block explorer is down (as you pointed out). I'm working to resolve the issues.

Bitr8er

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:02:37 PM

Kobo Coin Faucet:

http://freecoinfaucet.com/kobo/

Enjoy  Cheesy
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 12:39:53 PM

Kobo Coin Faucet:

http://freecoinfaucet.com/kobo/

Enjoy  Cheesy
This is excellent. Thanks!  Smiley

LionOfNarnia

Activity: 938

Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 12:29:05 PM

Just popped by to say that I'm still holding everything I have, and happily minting like a boss Wink

I'm kinda up to my neck in matters Elite: Dangerous, having been made both a moderator of the 'Order of Mobius' forum & a flight leader for one of our wings, in addition to my many hours in the cockpit. Only reason I even have the time to post this missive is, the game server is down for a major upgrade atm.

I'm still confident in your ability to make a HUGE success of Kobo, Tribesman, and I'd say don't worry too much about 'features' as they haven't done any other coins much good in the short-term anyway. The most important attribute of an alt is it's simple ability to SURVIVE, and with this fine community & your dedication to 'getting it right' I have no worries for the long-term.

My best to all Grin

Member of the UK Digital Currency Association * Bitrated user: LionOfNarnia. * Member of the ZeitKnights * Member of the Bytecent Community Team

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: