Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:55:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica MtGox account compromised  (Read 155938 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:38:52 PM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jointops420

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:39:25 PM

It all seems to convenient to me. After the previous hacks to allow this to happen is b/s.
Another cluster fuck that dirties the Bitcoin name again. I cant wait for the day when inept companies like this are a thing of the past and are stories to be told to scare children.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:40:11 PM

[12] Limitation of Liability

IN NO EVENT SHALL BITCOINICA, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH OUR WEB SITE, OUR SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT (HOWEVER ARISING, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) EXCEPT AS STATED IN THIS AGREEMENT. THE LIABILITY OF BITCOINICA, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR EMPLOYEES, TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTIES IN ANY PROVEN CIRCUMSTANCE IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU TRANSFERRED OR DEPOSITED IN YOUR ACCOUNT AT BITCOINICA IN RELATION TO THE TRANSACTION GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY. In the case where you make funds available for trading via a voucher, "coupon code", or similar from another financial service, banking institution or exchange, you acknolwedge that you are providing Bitcoinica access to those funds for trading purposes only and that the originating financial institution is the holder of such deposits. Bitcoinica is not liable for any loss if such institutions fail in honoring withdrawal of customer funds.

Shouldn't you have put this part in bold:
IN NO EVENT SHALL BITCOINICA, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH OUR WEB SITE, OUR SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT (HOWEVER ARISING, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE)

Face it people. You agreed to use a service without even a promise that they'll be liable to you if they are negligent. So if you're looking for the guilty you need only look in the mirror.
You're reading it wrong. That statement you posted is not undoing the first in bold. First is to do with 'deposits' and the second with your 'earnings' or lack thereof.

Whoops you are right. I made mistake and I decided to delete my post.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:40:56 PM

No, this is not the users' fault. Why should the bitcoinica users eat all the loss?

+1

It makes no sense to make us eat the loss. That is their own fault. They need to all stop taking a paycheck like Zhou did and/or start eating muesli with even cheaper milk and cough up the money out of pocket.

Some of us have undeniable proof and we want our money back.

Actually they need to honor their terms of use their clients agreed to and if they didn't make any guarantees about security they're off the hook and it's the client's fault for putting money someplace where such guarantees weren't made.

From the Bitcoinica ToS:

[12] Limitation of Liability

IN NO EVENT SHALL BITCOINICA, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH OUR WEB SITE, OUR SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT (HOWEVER ARISING, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) EXCEPT AS STATED IN THIS AGREEMENT. THE LIABILITY OF BITCOINICA, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR EMPLOYEES, TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTIES IN ANY PROVEN CIRCUMSTANCE IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU TRANSFERRED OR DEPOSITED IN YOUR ACCOUNT AT BITCOINICA IN RELATION TO THE TRANSACTION GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY. In the case where you make funds available for trading via a voucher, "coupon code", or similar from another financial service, banking institution or exchange, you acknolwedge that you are providing Bitcoinica access to those funds for trading purposes only and that the originating financial institution is the holder of such deposits. Bitcoinica is not liable for any loss if such institutions fail in honoring withdrawal of customer funds.

Shouldn't you have put this part in bold:
IN NO EVENT SHALL BITCOINICA, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH OUR WEB SITE, OUR SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT (HOWEVER ARISING, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE)

Face it people. You agreed to use a service without even a promise that they'll be liable to you if they are negligent. So if you're looking for the guilty you need only look in the mirror.

This.  Can we just move on from this, please?  But this whole thing has been an absolute blight on this project for most of this year.  Let's move on, accept our losses, and agree not to use flashy looking bitcoin websites designed by 17 years olds.  The silver lining out of this is that a bunch of people, myself included, have been reminded of one of the most valuable things about bitcoin - that you can secure it yourself and make stealing it over the internet practically impossible.  Of course, that that can be done fairly simply highlights those working at bitcoinica's negligence.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3054

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:41:25 PM

It all seems to convenient to me. After the previous hacks to allow this to happen is b/s.
Another cluster fuck that dirties the Bitcoin name again. I cant wait for the day when inept companies like this are a thing of the past and are stories to be told to scare children.

You'll be waiting a long time.

As long as there are people who allow it to happen (see post right above mine - "move on, accept our losses"), scams like this will continue!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:41:49 PM

This.  

Actually I was wrong. Read above.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:43:05 PM

Hi peeps, I'm late to the party.

Jeebus almighty. 350K US$ this time?

LOL. Crooks must love Bitcoinica.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:44:27 PM

Bitcoins ok, but how 40k dollars disappear? how withdrawn? I do not know how mtgox codes work, but you can not really know where are redeemed? Other options dwolla? OKPAY? Bitinstant? LR? I really can't believe that you can move dollars without knowing where, how and to whom.

Could the thief buy BTC with 40k USD and transfer with the other BTC?
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:44:56 PM

Ok, so, class action lawsuit now?
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:45:17 PM

Bitcoins ok, but how 40k dollars disappear? how withdrawn? I do not know how mtgox codes work, but you can not really know where are redeemed? Other options dwolla? OKPAY? Bitinstant? LR? I really can't believe that you can move dollars without knowing where, how and to whom.

We know how and where the USD moved, but unfortunately those funds are not under our control anymore.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:46:50 PM

You'll be waiting a long time.

As long as there are people who allow it to happen (see post right above mine - "move on, accept our losses"), scams like this will continue!

Well, what do you propose?  There's nothing anyone can do at this point.  The solution is to not let this sort of thing happen again by using bitcoins more consistently with the way they were designed.  Again, we've already allowed it to happen.  It's over.  That's done.  Move on, and don't make the same mistake.  Learn how to securely store most of your bitcoins yourself.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Donator

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:46:58 PM

most likely going in to talk with a lawyer today, if you were another victim of bitcoinica and have information, forward it to j.sutton (at) ceresmg.com, and I'll get you included.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:48:01 PM

We know how and where the USD moved, but unfortunately those funds are not under our control anymore.

Well, no shit they're not under your control, but you do know to whose account they moved, right?

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:49:48 PM

dude.. inside job? you guys are fucking retarded.

he explained exactly what happened.

go loosen your tinfoil hats

If I remember correctly it's one of your colaborators that is the prime suspect of being the BitcoinicaHacker.
Was it also BitVPS that was hosting Patrick's email server?

No inside job indeed...

Huh?

No we dont host patricks email

Our collaborator? please explain
You must have missed where psy accused Ageis of being the Bitcoinica hacker.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:51:15 PM

Look what I found when googling "Bitcoinica source code" to try and find the hacker leak. I don't like the one genjix leaked himself Grin
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2011/09/12/4
11:44    phantomcircuit    who wants to see if i can hack them?
11:44    phantomcircuit    should be fun
12:00    phantomcircuit    so first im going to try and change my other users settings
12:00    phantomcircuit    and then im going to try something hilarious
12:02    cande    Smiley amusing
12:04    phantomcircuit    rofl
12:04    phantomcircuit    i can change arbitrary users emails
12:05    phantomcircuit    yup
12:05    phantomcircuit    i can change anybodies email
12:05    phantomcircuit    and then reset their password
12:05    phantomcircuit    now for the hilarious part!
12:06    zamgo    you make bitcoinica go boom?
12:06    phantomcircuit    yes
12:06    phantomcircuit    AMATEUR HOUR ALL AROUND!
12:06    phantomcircuit    it's like a bad fucking joke

Look how happy he was hacking Bitcoinica and bragging about it. I wonder if he had that much fun when it was him the cause of the fuck up.

See, kids, this is what happens when you have a dirty mouth... your enemy grabs you by the balls!
Maria

Activity: 832

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:52:36 PM

Well, no shit they're not under your control, but you do know to whose account they moved, right?

Last thing I heard was it took weeks to transfer 1000.00 dwolla, weeks for SEPA transfers.. When did you start processing INSTANT 40K USD withdrawals? That is a hell of a nice feature to announce!

Roberto, keep your eyes open amigo, I think they are going to drop the shitbag on you.

Maria.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:53:50 PM

aye, this we must know...

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Donator

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:54:13 PM

also pming me as well, works.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3054

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:54:50 PM

Last thing I heard was it took weeks to transfer 1000.00 dwolla, weeks for SEPA transfers.. When did you start processing INSTANT 40K USD withdrawals? 

Very good point. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:55:58 PM

Look what I found when googling "Bitcoinica source code" to try and find the hacker leak. I don't like the one genjix leaked himself Grin
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2011/09/12/4
11:44    phantomcircuit    who wants to see if i can hack them?
11:44    phantomcircuit    should be fun
12:00    phantomcircuit    so first im going to try and change my other users settings
12:00    phantomcircuit    and then im going to try something hilarious
12:02    cande    Smiley amusing
12:04    phantomcircuit    rofl
12:04    phantomcircuit    i can change arbitrary users emails
12:05    phantomcircuit    yup
12:05    phantomcircuit    i can change anybodies email
12:05    phantomcircuit    and then reset their password
12:05    phantomcircuit    now for the hilarious part!
12:06    zamgo    you make bitcoinica go boom?
12:06    phantomcircuit    yes
12:06    phantomcircuit    AMATEUR HOUR ALL AROUND!
12:06    phantomcircuit    it's like a bad fucking joke

Look how happy he was hacking Bitcoinica and bragging about it. I wonder if he had that much fun when it was him the cause of the fuck up.

See, kids, this is what happens when you have a dirty mouth... your enemy grabs you by the balls!

So this is what they thought of/think of their clients. It's all one big mother fucking joke.

JOKE TIME IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: