Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:23:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Videos of WoodCollector Hand Carving: Care of MOB  (Read 21465 times)
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:30:35 PM

Using a Dremel (and BTW burning the surface of the wood because you didn't even get the speed right), clearly shows that you don't know how to cut shapes into wood.
Power carving tools?
Those power carving tools are not what he used in the video.
The Dremel has a spinning head. Power carvers have a reciprocating head.
See the tooltips in the picture, they don't look anything like Dremel tooltips:

Using a Dremel is not the same as Hand Carving.
The methods are completely different (I lack the English vocabulary for the differences, sorry), one produces flakes, the other produces dust. Also, the outcome of the surface is completely different, with the Dremel producing a (microscopically) "torn" surface, carving producing an "intact" one. The Dremel will also change the wood and close tiny pores in the surface, carving won't. Unfortunately, I really can't explain this very well in English, but both methods are definitely not considered anywhere near equal.
That doesn't mean that one is necessarily superior to the other (although carving is definitely considered more challenging and much more time consuming).
They're just not the same and a professional wood worker would know the difference and never, ever claim to be carving when he's in fact doing a milling job.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:33:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BghA6ngN54U

this video clearly shows a seasoned artist at his wood turning craft......Please take notice of the tool he is using ... take notes of the large handle for maximum leverage because he has been doing this for many years... also take note to the color of the chisel it self. the metal is a seasoned patina and a handle that has been held many hours... a true artist...

clearly a brand new set of the wrong size....a seasoned wood turner would know this.....these look like the were purchased at harbor freight on a budget....at around the same time that the lathe was purchased in december.....   clearly a noob wood worker.....
SodaWarz

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:40:21 PM

You were right WC, Not a single one of them was many enough to give you the apology that you CLEARLY deserve, and they are grabbing for any straw they can. Guess they should have watched the whole video before opening their mouths. But i will take the courtesy of making some screen shots for you to kindly tell them to @#$% off.
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:46:06 PM

Woolcollector sockpuppet list

-------Terrahasher

-------ukcrypto

-------SodaWarz

Ludi

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:49:23 PM

Looking forward to part two with the chisels then I'll be sold.

You were right WC, Not a single one of them was many enough to give you the apology that you CLEARLY deserve, and they are grabbing for any straw they can. Guess they should have watched the whole video before opening their mouths. But i will take the courtesy of making some screen shots for you to kindly tell them to @#$% off.

But he hasn't demonstrated something that proves anything yet. Pretty sure any teenager in woodclass can do what he did in the video. Compare this to his other detailed and intricate coins and you can see there's a big difference. I'm sue people will apologize once there is sufficient proof, but this isn't it.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 02:56:02 PM

Here's some images from the video,
at about 20 minutes in, 42 minutes,
56 minutes, 1:06, and 1:16 (the end)

Judge for yourself people.

My opinion:

1. Biggest issue is the fact that the lines
were already burned into the wood BEFORE
THE VIDEO STARTED, and not just drawn on,
but actually BURNED IN... all
he is doing is tracing around the pre-burnt
lines.

Big deal!

2. Certainly nothing near the detail shown
on those other coins.

3. Even the work he did do seems a bit sloppy to me.
(Does this even count as "carving")?

4. Notice the sockpuppets (ukcrypto and sodawarz)
commenting within minutes of the OP.

CONCLUSION:

I am utterly unconvinced, but readers can judge for
themselves.

Like Morpheus said, "Believe whatever you want to believe."

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:04:40 PM

But he hasn't demonstrated something that proves anything yet. Pretty sure any teenager in woodclass can do what he did in the video. Compare this to his other detailed and intricate coins and you can see there's a big difference. I'm sue people will apologize once there is sufficient proof, but this isn't it.
Actually, this video is proof, but proof of his false claims of being a wood carver.
He clearly doesn't even know the difference between carving and milling, he clearly doesn't possess the tools any professional would have, the way he produces his "art" in the video would result in something with different levels of height which his other works seemingly don't have.

The only remaining question there is for me:
did he use a laser etching or a CNC machine?
I would guess laser because the edges of the lines on his works don't seem to have a rounded slope, as they would have with a CNC Dremel.

BTW, some of you who posses one of his pieces of work could easily check if the height level of the depressed areas in his reliefs is exactly the same over the whole surface. If it is, it's almost definitely machine-made.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:07:15 PM

That video was enough to convince me. Congrats WC, you've managed to settle the debate.

As BG4 said, everyone if free to make up their own mind on this, but at least we know the caliber of WC's ability.
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:07:57 PM

Actually, this video is proof, but proof of his false claims of being a wood carver.
He clearly doesn't even know the difference between carving and milling, he clearly doesn't possess the tools any professional would have, the way he produces his "art" in the video would result in something with different levels of height which his other works seemingly don't have.

The only remaining question there is for me:
did he use a laser etching or a CNC machine?
I would guess laser because the edges of the lines on his works don't seem to have a rounded slope, as they would have with a CNC Dremel.

BTW, some of you who posses one of his pieces of work could easily check if the height level of the depressed areas in his reliefs is exactly the same over the whole surface. If it is, it's almost definitely machine-made.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=877143.0

this is proof that its a laser..... which would run on a CNC machine... So your question is both , laser and cnc
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:11:00 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902576.msg9916747#msg9916747

clearly this raffle is over ......Was the 2 people's coins returned to them...Huh?    does "Feed the Children" know that BONGs are used for advertizing  their charity???
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:12:51 PM

Video sealed the deal for me. Very obvious this guy is using a laser, and grossly misrepresenting his skills. Even the simple things like smoking and wearing rings while producing the video clearly shows a disconnect.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:22:49 PM

Even the simple things like smoking and wearing rings while producing the video clearly shows a disconnect.

I lel'd. Somewhat related, came across this in a book recently:

"Workers in the shop should be cautioned against smoking while at work, especially those whose work calls for repeated physical motions, such as are entailed in manual printing. The nature of such physical activity does not permit the leisurely demeanor of the habitual smoker. Puffing on a cigarette, then carefully balancing it on the edge of a the table to keep an eye on it, then removing the ashes with the gesture of a country squire - these actions are definitely out of place in a busy shop. Not only does smoking tend to retard production, but it is an infringement of the law in the immediate proximity of inflammables. It endangers the life of all"
-Complete Book of Screen Printing Production By: J.I. Biegeleisen, 1963.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Rawted

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:38:47 PM

I just do not get what that video is supposed to prove? I can go do the same thing, this very morning, with a $40 investment at walmart (i actually have been meaning to get a new Dremel kit), and I have the artistic skills of a paw-less sloth.

Was he really making this video thinking "Yeah! This will shut them up!". The guy is so far removed from what an actual woodworker would do and think.

EDIT: Just realized I cannot do this same thing, as I do not have a laser...

EDIT 2: The 'finished product' looks worse than before he started. He is not a skilled woodworker like he portrays himself here.
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:40:06 PM

In this video, take note , this man is clearly proud of his work... willing to show his face and speak through out the entire process also see how the stencil is transfered to the wood. also take note that he shows off other work he has done .... even tho he is using a dremel type devise, all his work is up to a stencil lines that is on top of the wood.... also note the extreamly fine tips of his tool tips.....take note to the tool marking left by his bits ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWd28WnS6hI

unlike woodcollectors video which plays out like a hostage video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=Jgn4K4WN6KU&x-yt-cl=84503534

In this video...I would say that this is "HAND CARVED"
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 03:45:06 PM

Good show, looks like he's on the way of doing actual woodcarving for the first time, not that he's any talented. But that hasn't stopped anyone having a dream!

I'm sure the "fuck you nubbins" masterpiece will fetch a decent price at the next art fair.
Please continue the good work, I can't wait for what's next, perhaps he'll take a course.  Cheesy

On a serious note, perhaps we should DOX this fucker and tell the people at his fablab what he's upto, as a non-profit I'm sure they don't mind being associated with this, right?
Rawted

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:48:01 PM

In this video, take note , this man is clearly proud of his work... willing to show his face and speak through out the entire process also see how the stencil is transfered to the wood. also take note that he shows off other work he has done .... even tho he is using a dremel type devise, all his work is up to a stencil lines that is on top of the wood.... also note the extreamly fine tips of his tool tips.....take note to the tool marking left by his bits ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWd28WnS6hI

unlike woodcollectors video which plays out like a hostage video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=Jgn4K4WN6KU&x-yt-cl=84503534

In this video...I would say that this is "HAND CARVED"
That plate carving video is amazing.
btcshiner

Activity: 478
Merit: 125

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:50:57 PM

I watched part of the video.  Skimmed through it to the end.  Two questions.

1. Has he ever not paid for the wood he is soliciting in his WTB thread?

2. Are the people who have purchased his wood and have items in hand happy?
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 03:56:04 PM

beside Blazedout ,   it seems to be , that ever one who has bought pieced are sock puppets.... except a few that think they are being scammed, and they have not recieved there pieces
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 04:02:38 PM

beside Blazedout ,   it seems to be , that ever one who has bought pieced are sock puppets.... except a few that think they are being scammed, and they have not recieved there pieces

I wonder what was the price of the last person that got out bid.....on the early coins.........

Can anyone confirm that they were the last to be out bid in any of his auctions.... only to have a sock puppet win the coin...
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 04:05:40 PM

On a serious note, perhaps we should DOX this fucker

Somewhat related, I'd like to ask people to please stop PMing me WoodCollector's name and home address.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: