Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:09:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Strato's Antminer S5 Vertical Mounting Setup Guide - Updated Photo/Video  (Read 17231 times)
gemstone

Activity: 56
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 01:03:20 AM

Speaking of PSU's .... (pardon a bit off-topic)
( at one point I was considering putting those on the S5's )

cheap a$$ 750W Thermaltake's, 2 of them hooked to 1 S3 each.

While messing around with the vertical arrangement and noise reduction, I wanted to re-arrange my miners to different locations in the basement and different outlets.
I guess I have to thank all of the tinkerers on this forum for helping me not to burn my house down...

Thank you Stratos, Philipma1957, klondike_bar, Rabinovitch et al.

The broken off post plastic was stuck in the miners. Touching any of the plastic and it just crumbled to pieces.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 01:14:25 AM

Wow gemstone. How many amps was running in that cable.

I feel like ordering pcie connectors and making my own 16 awg cables.
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 03:17:58 AM

Woah gemstone, pretty lucky man, while not being so at the same time.  Shocked
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 03:39:23 AM

I would very much find out what the CFM is for the stock fan of the S5, and while all the great minds are assembled here, possibly the same answer to the stock fan of the A S4.

It's about 140 CFMWink

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
ZymurBits

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 02:03:11 PM

Thanks! What happen if you close the PSU who power the blade that power the controller? My guess is that all blades in that miner will stop hashing. But do you need to close the PSU that power the other blade?

IMO you should probably power on the controller side last since it may need to see the other board when it comes up.  I don't think it would matter when shutting down though so long as you are shutting the entire unit down.
HolgerDansk

Activity: 68

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:45:31 AM

While messing around with the vertical arrangement and noise reduction, I wanted to re-arrange my miners to different locations in the basement and different outlets.
I guess I have to thank all of the tinkerers on this forum for helping me not to burn my house down...

The broken off post plastic was stuck in the miners. Touching any of the plastic and it just crumbled to pieces.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  

Now I'm concerned about my Thermaltake 750w Gold PSU's.  My S3's were of course happy with those, but you're making me concerned that I'm running my S5's with them.  (1 psu per S5).

Advice anyone?
dimke_yu

Activity: 461
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 12:00:07 PM

I think that it is enough for one S5 without OC... It depends how hot are those pcie cables that are connected to miner...

gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:42:45 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  

Now I'm concerned about my Thermaltake 750w Gold PSU's.  My S3's were of course happy with those, but you're making me concerned that I'm running my S5's with them.  (1 psu per S5).

Advice anyone?

I think you might be alright... the ones in the picture are Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supplies.

I just removed a third one because the wires were freakishly hot to the touch.

At this time I have the S5's on Corsair RM750's and the wires are just barley warm to the touch. No comparison to the Thermaltake...
I am going to shop for Rosewill Lightning 1300's because 1 of those will power 2 S5's (got 8 x PCIe)

Now I have to find some replacement for the Fans ... the Delta's 1212HHE (used Mac case fans, 4 wire) are not working at all! By the time I get my 55 year old rear end all situated it's time to sell these and find others...BIGGER, BETTER
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:54:16 AM

In case Strato is reading this....

you are mentioning in your write up that you are using a single Delta AFB1212SHE-PWM for cooling.

Is this a plug and go solution? Any modifications needed, wire cutting, extra fan controller or any other fancy foot/handiwork?

Would this be a viable second choice?

SILVERSTONE FHP-141 140mm (120mm mounting holes) Case Fan
500~2000rpm 42.8~171 CFM

Thank you for your guide!
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:00:33 AM

Woah gemstone, pretty lucky man, while not being so at the same time.  Shocked

I consider myself VERY lucky!
I still got a house and none of the miners seems to have suffered or got damaged.... ;-)
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:05:29 AM

I think that it is enough for one S5 without OC... It depends how hot are those pcie cables that are connected to miner...

Discolored one connector on the miner to a lovely 'caramel' ... (the S3 I took off the Thermaltake today after not being able to touch for more than 3 seconds)
This one didn't have any crumbling wires or PCIe's (yet)

Got this one licked and am going to stay with Corsair/EVGA/Rosewill's ... NOW the infernal howling of these fans needs to stop ;-)
HolgerDansk

Activity: 68

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:13:40 PM

I think you might be alright... the ones in the picture are Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supplies.

Thanks again for sharing.  The  pictures make a vivid point to all of us to watch the heat.

My PCI cables almost, sometimes feel a hint warm.  Yeah, a good sign. 

Just by turning mine vertical, dropped a few degrees.  Thank you Strato!
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:06:00 PM

Thanks again for sharing.  The  pictures make a vivid point to all of us to watch the heat.

My PCI cables almost, sometimes feel a hint warm.  Yeah, a good sign.  

Just by turning mine vertical, dropped a few degrees.  Thank you Strato!

My pleasure. Still going to try a vertical setup with my S3s. Just not enough hours in the day.

Our farm found a block two weeks ago on Slush's Pool. If I go any bigger I may jump over to Con's CK PrivateSolo Pool.

Strato
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:57:34 PM

My PCI cables almost, sometimes feel a hint warm.  Yeah, a good sign. 

Just by turning mine vertical, dropped a few degrees.  Thank you Strato!
[/quote]

Did you arrange like Strato with box fan underneath or just turned them upright with enough air to breathe?
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:12:19 AM

The box fan; which is only a $20 cost- is critical. It provides constant airflow over every part of the rig, cables; power supply units; the miner cases. It keeps all air moving upwards and away from the units.

Strato
kminer

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:03:43 PM

This is a simple outline / guide on how we are running our Antminer S5 Units in clusters of 6 with no overheating issues and a decent overclock.  

Our setup consists of (6) S5 Units per Cluster - all within the small space of a 30" small wire shelving unit.

Our Miners are set at frequency 393.75.

We are achieving 1300+ GHash per Miner; no "X"s; and with only a single Delta AFB1212SHE Replacement Fan.  

We are not using any sort of water cooling or push pull; just a single fan.  Temps are constant at 52-56 C in a 69-72 F Room.

We've been grouping 6 units together on a 24x30x14 Small Wire Shelving Unit which can be purchased at HomeDepot / Target for roughly $20.00.

The config illustrated here uses (3) EVGA 1300 G2 PSUs, with (2) S5 Units on each PSU. This particular setup will limit your overclocking ability due to the PSUs power limit. With this setup I would not recommend going over 362.50.  

However, this same setup can be used with a total of (4) 1000w PSUs running 393.75 - simply by running (3) S5 Units on (2) PSUs each X 2.  Simply Mount all 4 PSUs on the outside of the shelving unit - rather than the 3rd 1300w in the middle.  Please note that the Pink Circles and Lines note Zip Tie Points.

http://s26.postimg.org/fymk0uiyh/Antminer_S5_Setup_Config_Stratobitz_Coin_Rocket.jpg

We'll be publishing our additional guide on maximizing your mining hashpower; and improving your mining power by up to 15% by simply running an additional script and light weight software package. That guide will be posted later this month!

Cheers!

Strato

Statos, could you elaborate on the wiring required to power two S5s on one EVGA 1300 G2? I see you have two red lines and two blue lines running to each S5. I assume the red are straight PCIe 6 pin cables and the blues that a red port and split them into two. What cable do you recommend?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that each S5 PCI-e connectors required +12V DC input / 15 amp, or 60 amp for each S5. That would be 120a to power two S5s, but the EVGA 1300 list a max output of 108.3a on the  +12v line. Is that right?

Thanks
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2015, 10:28:09 PM by Stratobitz

This is a simple outline / guide on how we are running our Antminer S5 Units in clusters of 6 with no overheating issues and a decent overclock.  

Our setup consists of (6) S5 Units per Cluster - all within the small space of a 30" small wire shelving unit.

Our Miners are set at frequency 393.75.

We are achieving 1300+ GHash per Miner; no "X"s; and with only a single Delta AFB1212SHE Replacement Fan.  

We are not using any sort of water cooling or push pull; just a single fan.  Temps are constant at 52-56 C in a 69-72 F Room.

We've been grouping 6 units together on a 24x30x14 Small Wire Shelving Unit which can be purchased at HomeDepot / Target for roughly $20.00.

The config illustrated here uses (3) EVGA 1300 G2 PSUs, with (2) S5 Units on each PSU. This particular setup will limit your overclocking ability due to the PSUs power limit. With this setup I would not recommend going over 362.50.  

However, this same setup can be used with a total of (4) 1000w PSUs running 393.75 - simply by running (3) S5 Units on (2) PSUs each X 2.  Simply Mount all 4 PSUs on the outside of the shelving unit - rather than the 3rd 1300w in the middle.  Please note that the Pink Circles and Lines note Zip Tie Points.

We'll be publishing our additional guide on maximizing your mining hashpower; and improving your mining power by up to 15% by simply running an additional script and light weight software package. That guide will be posted later this month!

Cheers!

Strato

Statos, could you elaborate on the wiring required to power two S5s on one EVGA 1300 G2? I see you have two red lines and two blue lines running to each S5. I assume the red are straight PCIe 6 pin cables and the blues that a red port and split them into two. What cable do you recommend?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that each S5 PCI-e connectors required +12V DC input / 15 amp, or 60 amp for each S5. That would be 120a to power two S5s, but the EVGA 1300 list a max output of 108.3a on the  +12v line. Is that right?

Thanks

The EVGA 1300 G2 comes provided with (6) Red 8 Pin to 6+2 Pin PCIe Cables.

Our units are configured so you use all 6 of the cables for (2) AntMiner S5 units by using this cable path per miner:

- Use (2) dedicated 8 Pin to 6 Pin PCIe cables - running one to each blade (left and right side) - total 2.

- Use (1) shared 8 pin to dual 6 pin PCIe cable - running one end to the left and one to the right.

This is working well for us; with the box fan configuration the cables do not even get a hint warm.

Unless I am mistaken; this provides the best power configuration as it allows a full load on 1 cable, and a shared load split between the two blades on the other.  My thought is running 1 blade on a single cable (split) puts the full load of that blade on a single cable (might overheat).

So as for my diagram; PLEASE NOTE it's a single blue line that splits - denoting a cable that is using both heads of the output end split across the blades; and the 2 reds are dedicated wires - one to each blade.

As for the amperage; I'm a little bit of a neophyte when it comes to power calculations. The PSU outputs 12v; and running (2) S5 units on (1) 1300 G2 PSU - at a frequency of 350 or 362.50 will not overload the PSU or a 20 AMP Breaker (15 is likely ok as well but all my breakers are 20AMPs). Going off memory... I believe my Kill-A-Watt showed roughly 1190 Watts off the Wall running 362.50.  (Again off memory).  They've been running for weeks just fine.

I did initially try to set the miners at 392.50 but the PSU would click off and take a while to reset. Factoring the ROI on simply not overclocking as high - I decided to go this route rather than add more PSUs which would never re-coup the costs.

We also run our own Proxy Servers; so these units work great. Literally I go weeks without really doing anything to them... except seeing the BTC add up in our wallets.

Hope that helps!

Strato
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:26:03 PM

I know I've promised pictures; I'm actually headed in soon to our facility; I'll see if I can take a few shots of the configs. I'm behind on a bunch of things right now and just haven't gotten to it.

Cheers!

Strato
gemstone

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 02:18:34 AM

We also run our own Proxy Servers; so these units work great. Literally I go weeks without really doing anything to them... except seeing the BTC add up in our wallets.

Strato

I would really like to catch up on this... I've done running blades on proxy, but never could figure out how to get the other miner hardware to get with it.

Could you show and tell a bit more?

Received a 1212SHE today and must say that these are great... miffed at myself for not ordering enough for all S5's, but will outfit all of them with this fan.
For anybody else following the thread here: The connector has 2 ridges that prevent the connector to slip on the pins. I took a nail clipper and trimmed the 2 ridges down, with the result that it fit right away just fine and it works great. Dropped the most 'whiny' machine by ~20db.

Does anybody know if the S4 fans are the same as S5?

I also decided to slightly deviate from Stratobiz's strategy and test to 'hang' the S5's instead of zip-tie to the metal rack. I have some miners sitting on Metro Racks and the vibrations sometimes resonate the metal. Found a good length of 12 gauge insulated copper wire and it should suspend a miner securely.

I don't have the luxury of a 'facility', so I might not overclock right away and decide later if it is feasible with noise/heat in my basement.
I also don't have the PSU capabilities yet. Those 1300 watters are pricey... I was actually looking into getting Rosewills Lightning 1300's as they seem to have
8 PCI-e connectors, which would allow me to run 2xS5's at least at default settings.

Thoughts of course welcome ;-)
gemstone

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 02:32:12 AM

with only a single Delta AFB1212SHE Replacement Fan.  

Strato

Could you please specify which one exactly?

Delta AFB1212SHE-F00
or
Delta AFB1212SHE-CF00

there is a bit of a difference, ~40cfm and ~400rpm

I went with the F-00 (because I was unaware of the other) and it seems to be quite alright.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: