Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:50:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Strato's Antminer S5 Vertical Mounting Setup Guide - Updated Photo/Video  (Read 17231 times)
judypug1956

Activity: 355
Merit: 276

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 07:39:28 PM

Well back to topic.  (I am philipma1957 on a second pc)

After much testing of my  single s-5 .

I can get it to do freq 412 gh= 1331  with 99.965  good  lots of fans 2 delta and one nuctua

I can get it to do freq 387 gh = 1272  with 99.999 good  one delta fan

A  full case does not help cooling of the temp chip

a top does not help cooling of the temp chip

point up works better with a bottom only.

Since I have 1 s-5 it has 1 delta fan in the blow position I wired it to be a 4 wire pwm fan ,  It is on a solid surface. no top.

If I ran a lot I would do strato's method.  If you have 2 just get some delta fans you drop the sound from 75db to 60db and run at freq 387

1956jUdYPFwiBSzt9AECdWj3KE4WV7taiM I can't do 1957philma.. for btc address the i are not allowed This is a secondary account for Philipma1957, don't do business with this account deal with philipma1957

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 07:51:48 PM

HOWEVER - I think it goes without saying that when you buy a miner from Bitmain or any miner manufacturer - they are first used to mine then sold as they roll in their newest generation miners for themselves. Their business model depends on that.

This is not true of every manufacturer. I've seen no evidence of Spondoolies-Tech pre-mining with the equipment they sell. If you check their thread I'm pretty sure there is no mention of dusty fans or cases full of dust. Perhaps its a first, I too had some bitmain kit with dusty fans. Also a couple of Dragon miners with dusty fans.

Also the Oct/Nov KNC Jupiters I purchased new were not pre-mined on either.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:30:19 PM

Who the fuck is encouraging the overclocking!?!?!?!?!?!??!

look at this thread title:

ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.25/GH & 0.51W/GH

by BITMAIN
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 09:07:40 PM

Because I put it there to be 100% clear, as I said 5 days ago. I don't really care if you believe overclocking voids the warranty or not - that's your prerogative to do what you want with your warranty. Just don't encourage others to void theirs with false claims that it doesn't unless you want to create a bond. Then those who's units fail under warranty but listened to your 'mod' voided their warranties with incorrect information can be paid.

You are such a fool to antagonise bitmain in such a manner. You posting that on the wiki page linked from the main site does not make it a term of purchase. A more appropriate place would be the user-manual ..... and do that knowing pretty well it can not be applied retrospectively, and you should make that clear in the "advice posts" you make on this forum (to the people that are naive enough to take your advice).

Just to clarify, how does positioning your S5 vertically void the warranty, or are you just being off-topic for the sake of it?

And by the way, this is NOT a bitmain forum where you as the self appointed bitmain representative can dictate what is posted or not, be it about bitmain products or not.

You've advised people to upgrade their S3 firmware to your corrupted, self hosted firmware and the same persons have reported failed chips on their rigs from installing your firmware download, how many of those have you recompensed?

I've tried being nice to you but everything I post you object to even when you know its right. Like you claiming that my mega link for 12/16 firmware with an identical MD5 is a corrupted version with injected bad things. Literally I can make a post in any antminer thread, and oh look you randomly wander in and 100% refute everything I've said.

You clearly have an ulterior agenda here, care to share? I would also insist that you make a scam accusation thread as you're conviction appears so strong.

pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 09:14:04 PM

I've tried being nice to you but everything I post you object to even when you know its right. Like you claiming that my mega link for 12/16 firmware with an identical MD5 is a corrupted version with injected bad things. Literally I can make a post in any antminer thread, and oh look you randomly wander in and 100% refute everything I've said.

You clearly have an ulterior agenda here, care to share? I would also insist that you make a scam accusation thread as you're conviction appears so strong.

Keep it on topic please ..... and DO NOT try to be nice to me, just state and respond to (the) facts. Ulterior agenda against you ....? Come off it and do not flatter yourself, honestly, why would anyone have an axe to grind with you ..... ?

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 09:37:55 PM

Keep it on topic please ..... and DO NOT try to be nice to me, just state and respond to (the) facts. Ulterior agenda against you ....? Come off it and do not flatter yourself, honestly, why would anyone have an axe to grind with you ..... ?

That's the thing though, it doesn't matter WHAT I post - you 100% refute anything I say. And more so than any normal person would...

Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 10:17:31 AM

That's the thing though, it doesn't matter WHAT I post - you 100% refute anything I say. And more so than any normal person would...

I am going to lock this thread if it continues to go astray. The point of this thread had nothing to do with overclocking AT ALL. It had to do with the fact that I came to find that positioning the S5 units in a vertical position allowed for better cooling. Better cooling means higher frequencies "could" be possible.

The wiki post is in my opinion not credible. Bitmain advertises the product in their own thread - written BY Bitmain - as a product with Overclock Potential.

No where does it state on the site, in the manual, within the user console under Frequency, to do so at your own risk. NO WHERE.

Dogie also completely "Dodged" my question to prove if he was not just some robot app.

I take anything he says as, and would recommend to others to consider doing the same- as opinion only. This is not to say that he does not provide information which may, or may not be valid. I am just saying from what I can gather, there is no evidence to support he is a representative of Bitmain, and Bitmain has yet to comment on the Warranty issue themselves.

Let's stay on topic guys.

Strato
toptekk

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:07:19 AM

I am going to lock this thread if it continues to go astray. The point of this thread had nothing to do with overclocking AT ALL. It had to do with the fact that I came to find that positioning the S5 units in a vertical position allowed for better cooling. Better cooling means higher frequencies "could" be possible.

The wiki post is in my opinion not credible. Bitmain advertises the product in their own thread - written BY Bitmain - as a product with Overclock Potential.

No where does it state on the site, in the manual, within the user console under Frequency, to do so at your own risk. NO WHERE.

Dogie also completely "Dodged" my question to prove if he was not just some robot app.

I take anything he says as, and would recommend to others to consider doing the same- as opinion only. This is not to say that he does not provide information which may, or may not be valid. I am just saying from what I can gather, there is no evidence to support he is a representative of Bitmain, and Bitmain has yet to comment on the Warranty issue themselves.

Let's stay on topic guys.

Strato

ON topic when does the Software  part of this come out so far standing it up, exhaust facing up works wonders, i even put a bottom on mine and it seemed to help.  
cathoderay

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 07:21:50 PM

RE: dogie spam - Use the ignore button & report him to moderators for spamming, like he does to everyone else.

Great thread Stratobitz - thank you  Smiley

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 02:05:47 AM

@Stratobitz,

any goodie photos of the setup?  Hope Ants are still hashing away stable!

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
cathoderay

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:22:55 AM

@Stratobitz,

any goodie photos of the setup?  Hope Ants are still hashing away stable!

Yeah, good idea. Photos would be great!  Smiley

For the record:

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:16:06 AM

I'll be posting, as requested, images of our clusters later today.

We're in the process of moving a bunch of our S3+ units out, and moving all of our S5 units onto 240v PDUs 60 Amp Circuits.

Is it possible to embed a youtube video inside of a forum thread? Please let me know if anyone knows the code to do so.

Thanks,

Strato
gemstone

Activity: 56
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:21:21 AM

Stand the Miner Vertical.  Set it up like I drafted it out in my Op Post. See the heat difference. See the OC capability difference.

I have 24 of these. Im not making this up.

Yes the S5 is easilly a 1300 Ghash miner. All it takes is a 90 Degree Rotation of the unit.

Strato
Was not disputing any of your claims, just dogie's waffle responses.
I know the S5 is easily a 1300Gh/s + miner (mine is at 1350 albeit at a higher freq), but now you got me thinking of the S3 variants too .... aka the vertical position.

As the S3 is fully enclosed it doesn't seem to be of any major advantage compared to the S5.
Maybe a slight increase of thermal discharge ...

I have 9 of the S3's and those are so far the finest miners I ever owned. The 3 S5's however, I would really like to tame... Rabid howler monkey's in my opinion. Specifically having them in the basement and sleeping not 20 feet away is mind numbing (ears I lost yesterday...). And as there are no S5's to have right now, the mind numbing culminated in me getting a S4... rabid monkey x 4 squared !!!  Grin
gemstone

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:27:54 AM

My only issue is Dogie; he was helpful with the wiring diagram for using two PSUs with 3 miners; but more often then not he seems misinformed on a lot of different topics. I am not even 100% convinced he actually works for Bitmain or just self appointed himself.  But that's a whole other issue.

So for me Bitmain has been great. Just wanted to throw in my experience there.

Strato
[/quote]

What is that magic trick 2 for 3?? This would be for the S5? Can you share the diagram possibly?
thanks
gemstone

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:53:14 AM

I would very much find out what the CFM is for the stock fan of the S5, and while all the great minds are assembled here, possibly the same answer to the stock fan of the A S4.

I got my hands on some Delta AFB1212SHE, which are about 20 cfm less than stratos' Delta's.
Philipma was kind enough to assure me that they should work in another thread where there was talk about Noctua/skythe push/pull arrangement, which seem to have helped to lower the noise.

Less noise / better cooling / higher hash is for sure the more desirable option. I'm looking forward to the write up / script / software from stratos....

I'm also going to test this vertical idea on that maddening loud S4 once I figure out how to go about the fans in that one. There was somewhere a suggestion to replace the intakes with Corsair 120SP and leave the rear stock, but I can't imagine making much difference to the high pitch whine in my ears or head. (oh, and at this time there is no option to get away from the machines or move to a new house) I must co-exist with S1, S3, S4 and S5's; the first 2 are acceptable the last two are torture. Hopefully shipping the S1's out soon :-)
btcminer021

Activity: 98

Mine hard!

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:57:51 AM

Are the units located in your bedroom? How do you sleep at night!?!?

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
ZymurBits

Activity: 89

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:28:39 PM

What is that magic trick 2 for 3?? This would be for the S5? Can you share the diagram possibly?
thanks

The "trick" is the same regardless of S3 or S5.  Just make sure you only use 1 PSU per blade.  In other words, don't use 2 PSU's to power the same blade.

gemstone

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:51:53 PM

thanks

The "trick" is the same regardless of S3 or S5.  Just make sure you only use 1 PSU per blade.  In other words, don't use 2 PSU's to power the same blade.

Thank you so much for putting this in a picture.

I did something similar with S1 / S3, but S5's require 4 PCI-E per unit and the PSU's I own only have 4. I guess I need to check out 'pricier'
psu's... If I get rid of all the S1's and S3's it might be a substantial reduction in power consumption to have 2 PSU's per 3 miners, but can I afford to
buy several 150-200 dollar psu's .... NO, not at this time.

I appreciate your reply very much and will 'file' for future expansion plans...
gemstone

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:05:43 PM

Are the units located in your bedroom? How do you sleep at night!?!?

Sleep is a foreign word since S5 / S4, unless crashing at friends.

No they are not 'directly' in my bedroom. I reside in a partially finished basement with one 15x12 room that has a door where my bed is in.
The walls of course are 1/2 inch max drywall with no insulation of course.
The S4 is about 8 feet 'outside' one of the walls, the S5's about 20 feet opposite, when closing my door the S4 is taking over and I freeze my a$$ off
at this time of year ... Door open the S5's take over ... Can't stand ear plugs!
I thought the 10 S1's where loud after receiving my first S3's, but sleeping comfortably was possible. Whoever is considering S4 / S5 miners for home mining - THINK twice about it and then some more. Since I sank a lot of money into these already, I'll need to find a way to remedy the noise pollution. Hopefully the fans I ordered are going to help some. I read a review about the S5's before ordering and whoever wrote it must have been deaf, as he described it as slightly louder than S3. (The S4 I just ordered because I was tired and sloshed)
Never order miners when intoxicated :-)
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:17:32 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2015, 01:15:52 AM by dunand

The "trick" is the same regardless of S3 or S5.  Just make sure you only use 1 PSU per blade.  In other words, don't use 2 PSU's to power the same blade.

Thanks! What happen if you close the PSU who power the blade that power the controller? My guess is that all blades in that miner will stop hashing. But do you need to close the PSU that power the other blade?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: