Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:04:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have made a 25% return this week trading *against* the pirate  (Read 12594 times)
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:07:38 AM

how does pirate make money if he buys high and sells low Huh

How does a ponzi make money? Smiley

Ooooooo... It's game on now.  Good luck!

Pirate-Pay on the horizon? :p

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:19:37 AM

Pirate likes to buy high and sell low, with other people's money.

if you buy at 8.00 or below, and sell at 9.00 or above, you can make money trading against pirate too.  I've done that x6000 coins this week, earning me about a 25% return on my investment trading against pirate.

EDIT: if anyone wants to buy some goxUSD from me to take advantage of the buying opportunities, email me at tony@bitpay.com

I thought the idea was that he sells bitcoins low on MtGox, so he can keep prices low for his clients that he sells coin to for a high premium?

Whether this is a ponzi scheme or not, I don't see why someone would buy high and sell low... just to buy high and sell low.

I suppose the question here is, are you infact trading against pirate?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 08:55:25 AM

Will you also come and brag about it when you lose 25%? lol
This

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 10:08:46 AM

how does pirate make money if he buys high and sells low Huh

How does a ponzi make money? Smiley

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 11:56:22 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 01:37:09 PM by molecular

If that address is SR escrow + savings, since escrow should be <100K, did the SilkRoad EARN ~400 kBTC???

If so, the silkroad is definitely the second-most-profitable bitcoin business, if not the most profitable one.

I somehow doubt it's SR's address. Gox?

EDIT: sorry guys, wrong thread. thanks for pointing it out, myself

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 12:29:14 PM

Ooooooo... It's game on now.  Good luck!

I just like that no matter how much we chatter, he takes it all in stride and with a sense of humor.  Good on ya Pirate!

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 12:29:51 PM

Will you also come and brag about it when you lose 25%? lol
This

I love how nobody's learned to keep their damn trading secret...

(BFL)^2 < 0
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 12:31:39 PM

Two giants, fighting against each other.
Who will win the battle and has the last laugh in the end ?
Only forum post will tell.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 02:04:32 PM

Two giants, fighting against each other.
Who will win the battle and has the last laugh in the end ?
Only forum post will tell.

It's the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 04:13:54 PM

This looks like Bit-pay Merchant Solutions (bull) just caught pirateat40 (bear) in a short squeeze. Very nicely done.
Short squeeze?

There's no Bitcoinica. Where would pirate have been shorting?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:30:53 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 05:42:51 PM by elux

This looks like Bit-pay Merchant Solutions (bull) just caught pirateat40 (bear) in a short squeeze. Very nicely done.
Short squeeze?

Quote from: Wikipedia
In finance, short selling (also known as shorting or going short) is the practice of selling assets,
usually securities, that have been borrowed from a third party (usually a broker)
with the intention of buying identical assets back at a later date to return to that third party.

BTCST, obviously. He is hundreds of thousands of Bitcoins in debt to his creditors, at ~3000% yearly, Bitcoin denominated interest.

But! He can short sell the Bitcoin borrowed from his lenders, "with the intention of buying identical assets back at a later date to return to that third party".

What can go wrong?

(Or he can short sell their assets without any such intention, for that matter. He's got a pretty cool setup.)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:43:58 PM

Short squeeze?

Selling borrowed stuff == shorting

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 05:28:26 PM

Looks like pirate needs more money.  He has lifted the referral requirement so now anyone can invest again in this BCTST.  I am speculating this usually happens when business goes bad so more capital is require to remain "profitable."
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

Looks like pirate needs more money.  He has lifted the referral requirement so now anyone can invest again in this BCTST.  I am speculating this usually happens when business goes bad so more capital is require to remain "profitable."

He needs more BTC in order to keep shorting. He has plenty of USD. The way to squeeze a short is to simply take delivery of the asset being shorted and then sit on it.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 05:54:09 PM

He needs more BTC in order to keep shorting. He has plenty of USD. The way to squeeze a short is to simply take delivery of the asset being shorted and then sit on it.

So you are saying he sold the BTC he was holding for other members and now he has a lot of USD.  pirate wants BTC to drop so he can buy more BTC than he started with.  But, the way to make BTC drop without Bitcoinica is to sell BTC, and since he has little or no BTC he needs more BTC to do so.  That is why he is asking for more BTC from members.

And you are suggesting that the way to beat pirate is to sit on our coins and keep the price stable and/or continue to buy BTC so the price goes up?

Right?  Interesting theory.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:00:12 PM

...Nope, can't see any reason why he'd want to pull in as many people as possible right now  Wink
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:05:16 PM

So you are saying he sold the BTC he was holding for other members and now he has a lot of USD.  pirate wants BTC to drop so he can buy more BTC than he started with.  But, the way to make BTC drop without Bitcoinica is to sell BTC, and since he has little or no BTC he needs more BTC to do so.  That is why he is asking for more BTC from members.

And you are suggesting that the way to beat pirate is to sit on our coins and keep the price stable and/or continue to buy BTC so the price goes up?

Correct, he is suggesting to hold / buy and hold.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:11:56 PM

Yes that is exactly what I am suggesting. Also if those invested with pirate withdraw and insist on settlement in BTC and not in USD this can force pirate to have to buy BTC at market. The latter could easily set off a buying panic in this market. So yes I consider pirate in a short squeeze to be very bullish for the BTC price.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:42:14 PM

Sure, it would be bullish but I've seen no evidence he is in a short squeeze.  Just a bunch of wild imaginations.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:28:18 PM

Sure, it would be bullish but I've seen no evidence he is in a short squeeze.  Just a bunch of wild imaginations.

Okay okay how much do you have invested with pirate currently?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: