Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:30:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is HUGE: WIKISPEED, first car-maker in the world to accept Bitcoin  (Read 19622 times)
rockyleal (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:26:54 PM

WIKISPEED + Bitcoin

www.wikispeed.com

If you haven't heard about WIKISPEED before, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jdx-lf2Dw

Or read this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2012/05/10/wikispeed-how-a-100-mpg-car-was-developed-in-3-months/

Quotes from the WIKISPEED + Bitcoin press release (http://wikispeed.com/wikispeed-team-blog/wikispeed-first-car-maker-in-the-world-to-accept-bitcoin-press-release):

"For the first time in history, it is now possible to purchase a car manufactured by a distributed, collaborative corporation using currency issued by no bank."

"Because Bitcoin transfer fees are dramatically lower than those of conventional systems, we are offering a 3% discount in all our prices when payed in Bitcoin."

Full text of the press release:

July 24, 2012, Seattle, WA, USA. For Immediate Release:

WIKISPEED, first car-maker in the world to accept Bitcoin

http://wikispeed.com/Media/WIKISPEEDCAR/Bitcoin/Wikispeetcoin.jpg

WIKISPEED is excited to announce that starting today, it is possible to purchase WIKISPEED cars and car parts or to support our projects with Bitcoin. We believe the decentralised, open and internet-native nature of Bitcoin resonates deeply with the essence of the WIKISPEED project.

Our name, WIKISPEED, not only reflects the network origin of our project but more importantly, how the network itself is the core of our methodology. Like a Wikipedia article, our cars are designed and built by teams of collaborative volunteer teams distributed around the world. Similarly, our design and knowledge is open and available for anyone to use and improve. The ‘Wiki’ approach to physical manufacturing allows WIKISPEED teams to perform complex tasks in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost of industry norms.

The networked and open nature of the Bitcoin monetary system allows its users to perform transactions at substantially cheaper cost and at substantially faster speed, worldwide. WIKISPEED and Bitcoin have in common that they enable freely-assembled teams and individuals to perform activities that previously required bureaucracies, companies, or even nations.

For the first time in history, it is now possible to purchase a car manufactured by a distributed, collaborative corporation using currency issued by no bank. We see this as a landmark in the maturation of the web: a step forward in the convergence of activities driven by networking logics in all fields of human life. This convergence of network culture, network manufacturing and network economics holds the promise to fundamentally change the world, bringing back power to the people. A world where an open source car can be purchased with open source money is already a new world with new and exciting potential.

Bitcoin can now be used to purchase the limited edition WIKISPEED SGT01, a replica of our X-Prize winning prototype for $25.000 USD. A comfortable commuter car, the WIKISPEED C3, is in development and will be Bitcoin-compatible at launch. We aim to deliver the C3 as a complete car for $17,995 USD and as a kit for $10,000 USD. All WIKISPEED cars are ultra-efficient, modular, safety-tested, and deliver 100mpg or more. He have also opened an online store where WIKISPEED car parts are available at http://wikispeed.com/Store. Because Bitcoin transfer fees are dramatically lower than those of conventional systems, we are offering a 3% discount in all our prices when payed in Bitcoin.

Funding for the development of the WIKISPEED C3 commuter car is currently being conducted through a crowdfunding campaing at Indiegogo.com. The costs the C3 development include crash test fees, fuel-efficiency testing, materials for prototyping and testing, expert reviews and fabrication, and additional tools. While the Indiegogo platform does not support Bitcoin contributions, these can be sent to the following Bitcoin address: 12JiynsQcfNLbeWnM7cdnYGo3axPXDcwCV

Support WIKISPEED and make the future of automotive transportation happen right now.

WIKISPEED, a Seattle, WA–based automotive-prototyping and manufacturing startup, is a registered automotive manufacturer able to sell complete vehicles in the United States and kit-built vehicles all over the world. WIKISPEED currently has collaborative operations in fifteen countries worldwide.

Our Bitcoin address for donations is 12JiynsQcfNLbeWnM7cdnYGo3axPXDcwCV

We are in the process of implementing an automated shopping cart solution. However, customers who wish to purchase from us using Bitcoin can contact us at info@WIKISPEED.com for detailed instructions.

Press Photos: http://www.wikispeed.com/press, http://www.jigsawrenaissance.org/.

Media Contact: WIKISPEED: info@WIKISPEED.com, 425-312-3996
Jigsaw Renaissance: Hello@jigsawrenaissance.org, 206-659-5260

http://wikispeed.com/wikispeed-team-blog/wikispeed-first-car-maker-in-the-world-to-accept-bitcoin-press-release

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 06:29:53 PM

It's the first time I've heard of Wikispeed but by the looks of it this is pretty big news. Nice!

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
btcinstant

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:32:06 PM

Serious progress when you can now get your car purchase through bitcoins ...

edit: good TED talk also ...
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 06:32:24 PM

Wow!

This is amazing! Both Wikispeed and their acceptance of Bitcoin!

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Pretty cool...

"You guys are awesome".

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:41:08 PM

Huge news, awesome. The bitcoin address is shown in the press release, but doesn't accompany the "bitcoin accepted here" logo elsewhere on the site, as far as I can tell.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:42:10 PM

Site store kinda messy. Could be done better.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:44:08 PM

hopefully they don't pull BFL on MPG
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:07:07 PM

Wow!

I've first checked wikispeed few months ago and thought they will need at least year or two for a finished product... and now this... and Bitcoin... AWESOME!
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:12:32 PM

Big news.  I imagine this is the most expensive product you can buy with Bitcoins outside of mining rigs from BFL.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:18:35 PM

OMFG THIS IS HUGE!!

Pirateat40, you going to pick one of these up with your profits from yesterday?
rockyleal (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:34:21 PM

OP here.

We are very excited about this. And we really hope this will be greatly rewarding for Bitcoin and for WIKISPEED alike.

Finally, some competition for Lazslo's pizzas! Who will make history and be the first Bitcoin WIKISPEED car buyer?

Personally I see this as the moment when tunnel-drilling machines meet in the middle after years of working on their own: WIKISPEED and Bitcoin share a vision of a world that is made by us, for us. WIKISPEED on how to make complex stuff collaboratively, Bitcoin on solving the riddles of decentralized money.

I will be glad to answer any questions, just go ahead and ask.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:35:34 PM

Huge news, awesome. The bitcoin address is shown in the press release, but doesn't accompany the "bitcoin accepted here" logo elsewhere on the site, as far as I can tell.

The home page has a bitcoin graphic, but no click on it yields the address.

The press release is hosted on their site:
 - http://www.wikispeed.com/wikispeed-team-blog/wikispeed-first-car-maker-in-the-world-to-accept-bitcoin-press-release

The page isn't protected with SSL ( https:// ) though, which makes it vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack (in which the attacker replaces the bitcoin address and nothing else, and pockets the free bitcoins).

Looks like a few bitcoins contributions have occurred:
 - http://www.blockchain.info/address/12JiynsQcfNLbeWnM7cdnYGo3axPXDcwCV

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:57:19 PM

OP here.

We are very excited about this. And we really hope this will be greatly rewarding for Bitcoin and for WIKISPEED alike.

Finally, some competition for Lazslo's pizzas! Who will make history and be the first Bitcoin WIKISPEED car buyer?

Personally I see this as the moment when tunnel-drilling machines meet in the middle after years of working on their own: WIKISPEED and Bitcoin share a vision of a world that is made by us, for us. WIKISPEED on how to make complex stuff collaboratively, Bitcoin on solving the riddles of decentralized money.

You work for wikispeed?

This is an awesome project, good job. You should work with bitcoincard to create a mesh network to get stats on the car use, as well as help out the bitcoin network. I checked the site, might have missed it, but how much will one of these cost?

hi
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:01:05 PM

I have some questions.

It looks like only 5k out of 50 was raised on the crowdfunding website linked in the article. (It appears closed/deadline over?)
What now? Are you guys still working on ways to raise money?

What engine is being used in the demo vehicle ? Why isn't it mentioned anywhere? Is there going to be a different one used in production?

Will there be a kit available for the X-prize car?

minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:03:54 PM

This is awesome. I particularly like the following qoutes from their blog post:

For the first time in history, it is now possible to purchase a car manufactured by a distributed, collaborative corporation using currency issued by no bank.

and
A world where an open source car can be purchased with open source money is already a new world with new and exciting potential.

I want one of them cars!

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 08:04:49 PM

It shows that you can purchase a $25,000 car which is a replica of the Project X vehicle.

But everywhere else on the page it shows how Wikispeed's strength is in its agile development and the fact that the car gets better each week.

So, will the $25k car be the same as the Project X vehicle or will it be an updated version based upon all of the new development?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 08:08:58 PM

Pretty soon you'll be able to buy a Moller SkyCar for bitcoins!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:17:35 PM

Pretty soon you'll be able to buy a Moller SkyCar for bitcoins!
LOL.
I'll sell you one. You send me 100k Bitcoins and I'll buy you a Moller car just as soon as they are in production.
rockyleal (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:27:02 PM

Oh god, I'm regretting having offered to answer all questions.

I was thinking more about Bitcoin related questions, not technical details about the cars .I am in charge of Bitcoin-related aspects. I don't know the answers to these technical questions. But, I will get WIKISPEED founder Joe Justice to the forum as soon as possible to do an AMA, he will answer technical questions for everyone interested.

Sorry about this, and thanks for the patience -all the answers will come soon!

Still, I'll continue to answer all questions I can.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: