Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:48:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: deleted  (Read 22083 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:51:32 AM

So is this possible? And if so what will happen to the ltc block chain?

Sure it's possible, it's only between 400-600 gpus required. And thats not impossible to get ahold of. What will happen? People won't trust it anymore so they will sell and abandon it. Thats what will happen.

more or less retired.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:55:24 AM

51%ing is not a challenge. It's undermining the safety of the network. Cryptocurrencies have enough trouble catching on as it is, and here comes an asshole who has nothing better to do than to challenge to fuck it up. In cyrptocircles this is a serious crime. It's the ultimate crime. Scammer tag should be applied just for this statement.Of course I hope you fail and lose tons of money.

Not too familiar with my success rates on hitting alt chains are you?

I would be a scammer if I made a promise and didn't deliver, I will.

Sadly I actually protected LTC in the early days with a huge amount of hash power to fend off 51% attacks by the Solidcoin crew. Over the course of the last year I've bought a couple thousand BTC of LTC to bump it up ahead of SC and keep prices stable.

But hey, looks like the LTC community needs an attitude adjustment.

~BCX~

What happened over in btc-e that set you off? I've been trying to keep the peace for days Undecided
SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 07:55:31 AM

It is possible to fork the chain temporary with power from amazon EC2, that would cost alot of USD to do, and it could not be sustained for a long amount of time.

The practical response would be to roll back the block chain to before the fork, resulting in all transactions and block rewards to be negated which happened after/during the event.

That said I doubt it would be worth it even if there are enough funds.

Well it sounds pretty interesting, and even a bit impressive if one person can truly pull it off. I have no vested
interest in ltc and it would be a shame to see people lose out, but as an experiment I am genuinely intrigued.

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:00:34 AM

@Coblee

This isn't personal at all but your fellow miners over at BTC-E are taking on some serious Solidcoin type attitudes.

The challenge has a been made and apparently support over there was with them on it, in making a challenge that I couldn't 51% LTC.

Nothing like that to give me reason to resurrect some serious GPU hashpower, build up some EC2's (keep in mind even Coinhunter verfied I had over 700 EC2's running at the SC2 launch), connect up with some botnetter friends and bring some BTC out of USB deep freeze for fees... LOL....

This is fair warning to all.

Challenge accepted.

~BCX~

Seriously? Most of the guys chatting on BTC-E have been in Cryto like a week, tops. They are kids mouthing off asking questions like, "Can I get BFL ASIC to mine LTC?" or other such nonsense. Although it once was a good place to talk about the market, it's recently been inundated with a bunch of amateurs whining about how they can't get rich off of .002 BTC.

I understand you're angry but there are a lot of us in LTC that aren't the whinny bitches from the BTC-E chatroom who are working hard at LTC and trying to make something valuable. Don't let a buch of jerks push you over the edge, because really the same kids who are pissing you off, don't have anything to lose by the destruction of LTC. You 51% it, they'll lose their $1 shrug their shoulders and go outside to play in the backyard.

I think if you have that much GPU power it would be a more effective to add to the network, blow the difficulty through the roof and kick all the kids out. That way you have the best of both worlds- you screw the noobs from the chatroom by making it impossible for them to mine on their Asus EEE PC's, you support a real project that people really do care about (you say it's not personal at Coblee, but then why destroy something he, and many others, have worked so hard on?) and you can then mine a crapload of coins, dump them on the market, crash the price and walk away with a little treasure chest of BTC. It's really the best of all worlds, you'll screw the difficulty, crash the price, f*ck the noobs, prove that you have access to the power, and you don't have to destroy all our hard work all in one go.
Please?

+1

BCX, those "fellow miners" on BTC-e are probably SC cultists trying to rile you up. I'm surprised you let them get to you. If you are really going to attack Litecoin because of that, then I will lose all respect for you. You did help me fend off some attacks when Litecoin launched. IIRC, you told me that you thought Litecoin was a fair currency and you didn't want to see it destroyed by those SC scumbags. Has that changed? Why would you try to destroy something you helped protect early on?

But whatever. Do what you feel like you must do. If you didn't do it, someone else might come along and try it. At least you gave us fair warning.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 08:01:20 AM

It is possible to fork the chain temporary with power from amazon EC2, that would cost alot of USD to do, and it could not be sustained for a long amount of time.

The practical response would be to roll back the block chain to before the fork, resulting in all transactions and block rewards to be negated which happened after/during the event.

Well it sounds pretty interesting, and even a bit impressive if one person can truly pull it off. I have no vested
interest in ltc and it would be a shame to see people lose out, but as an experiment I am genuinely intrigued.

You are right.

On a metalevel yes. If it is profitable to bring down alternate blockchains using attack BTC could remain the only cryptocurrency of its kind.
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:03:21 AM

Well I guess the last thing we have to do is switch to solo/private pools and hope for the best.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:04:40 AM

Not one person, I'll have to coordinate a few things with others. Coordination is my strength as well as having some pretty deep resources myself.

~BCX~

i.e. luke-jr

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:05:27 AM

You are right.

On a metalevel yes. If it is profitable to bring down alternate blockchains using attack BTC could remain the only cryptocurrency of its kind.

Luckily, BTC is convertible into fiat, too and can be left alone if one is bored of it. No 51% attack necessary.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 08:05:50 AM

... having some pretty deep resources myself.
Unless you come up with some sort of business model to profit from it you wouldn't have them afterwards.
i_rape_bitcoins

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:07:03 AM

@Coblee

This isn't personal at all but your fellow miners over at BTC-E are taking on some serious Solidcoin type attitudes.

The challenge has a been made and apparently support over there was with them on it, in making a challenge that I couldn't 51% LTC.

Nothing like that to give me reason to resurrect some serious GPU hashpower, build up some EC2's (keep in mind even Coinhunter verfied I had over 700 EC2's running at the SC2 launch), connect up with some botnetter friends and bring some BTC out of USB deep freeze for fees... LOL....

This is fair warning to all.

Challenge accepted.

~BCX~

Seriously? Most of the guys chatting on BTC-E have been in Cryto like a week, tops. They are kids mouthing off asking questions like, "Can I get BFL ASIC to mine LTC?" or other such nonsense. Although it once was a good place to talk about the market, it's recently been inundated with a bunch of amateurs whining about how they can't get rich off of .002 BTC.

I understand you're angry but there are a lot of us in LTC that aren't the whinny bitches from the BTC-E chatroom who are working hard at LTC and trying to make something valuable. Don't let a buch of jerks push you over the edge, because really the same kids who are pissing you off, don't have anything to lose by the destruction of LTC. You 51% it, they'll lose their $1 shrug their shoulders and go outside to play in the backyard.

I think if you have that much GPU power it would be a more effective to add to the network, blow the difficulty through the roof and kick all the kids out. That way you have the best of both worlds- you screw the noobs from the chatroom by making it impossible for them to mine on their Asus EEE PC's, you support a real project that people really do care about (you say it's not personal at Coblee, but then why destroy something he, and many others, have worked so hard on?) and you can then mine a crapload of coins, dump them on the market, crash the price and walk away with a little treasure chest of BTC. It's really the best of all worlds, you'll screw the difficulty, crash the price, f*ck the noobs, prove that you have access to the power, and you don't have to destroy all our hard work all in one go.
Please?

+1

BCX, those "fellow miners" on BTC-e are probably SC cultists trying to rile you up. I'm surprised you let them get to you. If you are really going to attack Litecoin because of that, then I will lose all respect for you. You did help me fend off some attacks when Litecoin launched. IIRC, you told me that you thought Litecoin was a fair currency and you didn't want to see it destroyed by those SC scumbags. Has that changed? Why would you try to destroy something you helped protect early on?

But whatever. Do what you feel like you must do. If you didn't do it, someone else might come along and try it. At least you gave us fair warning.

You clearly haven't been following the BTC-E chat. You go state one thing about SolidCoin, then they show their hatred towards it.

The "attitude" is typical teenage behavior. Since most of the Litecoin demographic are mostly teens (who didn't catch the Bitcoin train), you can expect the attitude. Also, its not a good idea to let teenagers run your Litecoin economy.

It's Bitcoin-website-cracking amateur hour all over again.

~I_RAPE_BITCOINS~
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:08:06 AM

Unless you come up with some sort of business model to profit from it you wouldn't have them afterwards.

Deep resources can be quite deep. There are lots of people out there with more resources then the market cap of BTC, FYI.

more or less retired.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 08:10:34 AM

Deep resources can be quite deep. There are lots of people out there with more resources then the market cap of BTC, FYI.
Yeah but that's not the point.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 08:10:42 AM

wow what a fucking hero "someone in a shoutbox pissed me off, so now I am going out of my way to fuck over peoples good work"

some "community" we have.....

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:13:30 AM

Not one person, I'll have to coordinate a few things with others. Coordination is my strength as well as having some pretty deep resources myself.

~BCX~

woman, you is crazy.

lol.

i_rape_bitcoins

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:15:11 AM

wow what a fucking hero "someone in a shoutbox pissed me off, so now I am going out of my way to fuck over peoples good work"

Yeah, funny how his shenanigans don't work on Bitcoin. I wonder why...

~I_RAPE_BITCOINS~
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:18:01 AM

Sure it's possible, it's only between 400-600 gpus required. And thats not impossible to get ahold of. What will happen? People won't trust it anymore so they will sell and abandon it. Thats what will happen.

Yes, it's possible. Not even bitcoin is immune from 51% attacks. Though with bitcoin it's much harder, but then someone with an ASIC can attack it if they wanted to. Satoshi did say that people would not try to 51% bitcoin, because if they had that much hash power, they would earn more money by mining it normally than by attacking it. This is true with Litecoin right now. If BCX used his hashpower to mine Litecoin, he would make more money than to try to do a double spend with a 51% attack.

If BCX is just going to fork the chain for 24 hours. Then what would happen is that all transactions within that 24 hours period would be reverted. And those transactions will then be replayed on the new forked chain if they are still applicable. If they cannot be replayed, then a double spend will happen. (Reminds me when I did a "git rebase" on the litecoin code just a few days ago and ran into a ton of merge conflicts.) Normally, only the attacker would be able to double spend his coins. Since no one else is aware of the attack and would be able to muck with his transactions to double spend them. But the double spend by the attacker will have ripple effects that would potentially invalidate a lot of other transactions.

disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:18:30 AM

I have way too many BTC and have been mining BTC since August of 2010, that's why.

I knew it must be an early adopter behind this. But it's one who's unfortunately fucked up in the head. BTC and LTC are in trouble.
i_rape_bitcoins

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:19:21 AM

I have way too many BTC and have been mining BTC since August of 2010, that's why.

You must have made your parents proud. You didn't have to become a doctor to bring in big bucks.

Grin Grin Grin

~I_RAPE_BITCOINS~
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 08:21:13 AM

August 2010 is not early enough to finance this endeavor. Even I found out about BTC at the time, to bad I didn't think much of it back then....

The point is: difficulty was already significant.
i_rape_bitcoins

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:22:08 AM

Yes, it's possible. Not even bitcoin is immune from 51% attacks. Though with bitcoin it's much harder, but then someone with an ASIC can attack it if they wanted to. Satoshi did say that people would not try to 51% bitcoin, because if they had that much hash power, they would earn more money by mining it normally than by attacking it. This is true with Litecoin right now. If BCX used his hashpower to mine Litecoin, he would make more money than to try to do a double spend with a 51% attack.

If BCX is just going to fork the chain for 24 hours. Then what would happen is that all transactions within that 24 hours period would be reverted. And those transactions will then be replayed on the new forked chain if they are still applicable. If they cannot be replayed, then a double spend will happen. (Reminds me when I did a "git rebase" on the litecoin code just a few days ago and ran into a ton of merge conflicts.) Normally, only the attacker would be able to double spend his coins. Since no one else is aware of the attack and would be able to muck with his transactions to double spend them. But the double spend by the attacker will have ripple effects that would potentially invalidate a lot of other transactions.

I think Litecoin needs some 51% protection right now. Oh wait...

Grin Grin Grin

~I_RAPE_BITCOINS~
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: