Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:45:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Choose: Walk The Plank or Keelhaul  (Read 20445 times)
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 07:34:44 PM

Hunted it up back in April, wasn't hard
Why does everyone say that, but then never reveal anything?

Who exactly is "everyone"?

I would say that PatrickHarnett is one of the most respected and trusted members of this forum. If he says he has the information, it's more than enough for me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 07:37:48 PM

Is it normal to dox someone without them having provably committed a crime or tort?

EDIT: I should make it clear that I would support sharing relevant information among trusted investors, but I don't find it necessary to post everything publicly.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 07:42:45 PM

Is it normal to dox someone without them having provably committed a crime or tort?

I think it is a bare minimum expectation that one would try to do due diligence on an investment, no? Is it normal to give someone hundreds of dollars without knowing who they are?
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 08:18:27 PM

Well, do you know a lot of non-criminal/covert organizations that don't reveal personal information about their key personnel?

Today: "The shadowy CEO of Microsoft, previously only known to the public as "The Dancing Monkey" has been revealed to be Harvard dropout Steve Ballmer. Documents leaked on the internet conclusively proves his identity. Microsoft officially declined inquiries into the matter, stating only that the identity of "The Monkey" has long been known to insiders, and that people should mind their own damn business."

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 08:19:57 PM

Because I know how to hold confidential information confidential.  my business is built on trust, and the work I'm doing in the lending section means that I hold sensitive information about other lending operations.  I'm not about to blab a whole lot of private details about people.

However, to spell it out for you - I did a reverse phone number lookup from his domain registrations.  It was simple to link Trendon Shavers to the phone number, his family history, and his wife looks nice too.  But I wasn't about to spread that information around four months ago because I respect people's privacy (it is now public), and he made no secret of it.  Trendon provided a confirmation when I asked him, and that was all.

Edit: and yes, it was part of the due diligence I performed.  As a counter example, Ripper234 did a lot on me too.  He even published it.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92279.0
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 08:29:34 PM

AFAIK, they haven't slapped a scammer tag on Pirate nor the Bitcoinica people. So in terms of actual forum moderation they're on equal footing for now.

Really, Maged lost credibility when defending bitcoinica people despite mountains of evidence that they were deceitful, if not outright lying, stealing, and scamming.

Now, despite there is no evidence that pirate is lying, scamming, or stealing (only conjecture that those MIGHT happen) Maged is trying to suggest that a joke = a scam. That, in turn, invalidates most, if not all, of Maged's judgements.

By that logic, this forum is a scam, because it's certainly become a joke.

After watching all the mods not do shit while BitcoinExpress threatens attacks on litecoin, I seriously don't know how anyone can take anything that mods here say or do seriously.

Seems to come down to protecting friends, and letting enemies hang.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 08:59:38 PM

Because I know how to hold confidential information confidential.  my business is built on trust, and the work I'm doing in the lending section means that I hold sensitive information about other lending operations.  I'm not about to blab a whole lot of private details about people.

However, to spell it out for you - I did a reverse phone number lookup from his domain registrations.  It was simple to link Trendon Shavers to the phone number, his family history, and his wife looks nice too.  But I wasn't about to spread that information around four months ago because I respect people's privacy (it is now public), and he made no secret of it.  Trendon provided a confirmation when I asked him, and that was all.

Edit: and yes, it was part of the due diligence I performed.  As a counter example, Ripper234 did a lot on me too.  He even published it.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92279.0
Oh, good. I'm glad to hear it. I just hope that you weren't misled with planted information, of which there is potentially plenty. For example, did you know that you don't have to verify your identity to form a LLC in Texas?

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:07:41 PM

Oh, good. I'm glad to hear it. I just hope that you weren't misled with planted information, of which there is potentially plenty. For example, did you know that you don't have to verify your identity to form a LLC in Texas?

As I said to Ripper234, I am the fake patrickharnett.  (that was simply to prove the point you couldn't prove the point)
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:33:01 PM

I doubt he "planted" those traffic violations on his record, not to mention other regulatory infractions back in the 80s and 90s all in an elaborate plot that leads up to BCTST.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:34:33 PM

As I said to Ripper234, I am the fake patrickharnett.  (that was simply to prove the point you couldn't prove the point)
Either way, we'll know how this will play out shortly. If you think you have proof that you know that he is who we think he is, that's enough for me. I'm glad that at least one person checked into Pirate, even though you're one of very few people that have.

I'll also get the chance to finally apologize to Pirate pretty soon, too, since he claims that he can prove that he's won the bet. Honestly, I really do hope that Pirate is legitimate, from the bottom of my heart. I'm just afraid of what will happen if there's a million dollar heist pulled by Pirate.

I doubt he "planted" those traffic violations on his record, not to mention other regulatory infractions back in the 80s and 90s all in an elaborate plot that leads up to BCTST.
I've never doubted that Trendon Shavers existed - that much was clear.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:37:53 PM

While we are on the subject: who the hell is Art Taylor? http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x067508A49BBE0E8216A61A94614DB74CFA5B357E (Pirate's OTC PGP fingerprint). ARt Taylor is a real person too btw ...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:58:55 PM

While we are on the subject: who the hell is Art Taylor? http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x067508A49BBE0E8216A61A94614DB74CFA5B357E (Pirate's OTC PGP fingerprint). ARt Taylor is a real person too btw ...

He signed Pirate key as valid.  Technically this should only be done by someone who absolutely knows Pirate and knows the key presented as Pirate's key IS pirate's key.   That being said many people sign other people's keys for just about any reason including "it keeps warning me the key is unsigned so I signed it to make the warning go away".

It doesn't really mean or prove anything.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:22:27 PM

Yeah right after my post I got a PM it's you Reese (kinda stupid of me, so tell me: did you change your Twitter name or am I just blind? Tongue)

Which brings up the question: Do you know Trendon Shavers personally?
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:19:40 PM

After the dumbass threats regarding copumpkin joking about, umm, pumping pirate kin, I choose neither to confirm nor to deny anything related to that topic.
Again, it's only a problem if you clearly lie. If you were misled into believing something, that's fine. Just don't lie about facts.

Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 10:31:40 PM

Maged is the one that needs to clarify, but I read it as found to be lying in relations to backing a scam operation. Of course the scam has to be exposed first.

After the dumbass threats regarding copumpkin joking about, umm, pumping pirate kin, I choose neither to confirm nor to deny anything related to that topic.
Again, it's only a problem if you clearly lie. If you were misled into believing something, that's fine. Just don't lie about facts.

Bullshit.  You'd have scammer tags on 90% of the people on any forum.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 08:00:12 AM

Maged is the one that needs to clarify, but I read it as found to be lying in relations to backing a scam operation. Of course the scam has to be exposed first.

Bullshit.  You'd have scammer tags on 90% of the people on any forum.
Yup, the scam has to be exposed AND you had to clearly *lie* about a fact (opinions are fine no matter what) that could cause a reasonable person to think something is safer than it really was AND said people need to make a specific claim that they thought that they could trust what you said AND your statement was a deciding factor in investing (or whatever the situation is) AND the investigator believes the person when they said that your false fact was an important deciding factor.

For example:

What you can do:
If you've traded with a person, you can publicly vouch for them saying that you never had any problems with them. You can also provide your analysis of a person by saying something like "I think x is a pretty good guy based on their post history". If you've been given someone's address, you can say "I know where he lives, don't worry about it", even if the address is false. If you've truly met someone, you can say "I've met him, he's a pretty upstanding guy".

What you can't do:
If you've never traded with someone, you can't publicly say that you've traded with them before. Again, if you've never traded with someone, you also can't say that someone scammed you (specifically, not anyone in general - you can still claim that someone is a scammer, just not that they scammed you). If you don't have any information AT ALL about who they are or where they live (not even a lie that they provided you, but actually nothing at all), you can't claim to personally know that information (but if you think you know someone who might know that information, you can absolutely say that you think you know someone who knows that information). If you've never met someone/slept with their sister, you can't claim to have done those things.

As you can see, this is really quite reasonable.

Frankie

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 04:56:20 PM

So the deadline for, uh, something passed last night at 5 PM CST.

Wait a second, "CST"? This is a clue that Pirate is posting from the Central time zone... From the FUTURE, when CST applies. I've figured out how he does it! Pirate is engaging in temporal arbitrage by sending his coins to the future when they are more valuable and sending fiat back in time. He finally slipped up!
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 05:21:17 PM

Yup. I suppose I might as well tell you guys what that is.

There's something called the "Vegas Bonus" going on this weekend. All account holders with over 5k BTC as of Wednesday at 6 PM CT qualify. Any amount you add between Wednesday at 6 PM CT and Sunday at same time will be given a 1% bonus.

You can guess what my thoughts are on this, so I won't bother.

Frankie

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 05:32:41 PM

I assume that means th Pirate is very generous. In spite of running a putatively profitable business for nine months, he's not gotten greedy and in fact wants to give even more to most loyal customers. I'm sure that they will be handsomely rewarded for it.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 06:33:36 PM

Yup. I suppose I might as well tell you guys what that is.

There's something called the "Vegas Bonus" going on this weekend. All account holders with over 5k BTC as of Wednesday at 6 PM CT qualify. Any amount you add between Wednesday at 6 PM CT and Sunday at same time will be given a 1% bonus.

You can guess what my thoughts are on this, so I won't bother.

I think Frankie was referring to this deadline:

Vandroiy has the following (2) options to choose from:

• Concede the wager to me (pirateat40) per the details below.
    • Vandroiy: Signed document confirming the action to concede the wager.
    • pirateat40: Signed document accepting Vandroiy’s action.
    • pirateat40: Will donate the entire wager balance (10,000 BTC) to a charity of the forums choosing.

• Don’t concede the wager and chance the outcome of Aug 14th.
    • pirateat40: Nothing changes and pirateat40’s winnings (5,000 BTC) go to the charity of the forums choosing.

Vandroiy has until Thursday at 5:00PM CST to make his decision.

I don't see how that is connected to a 1% bonus for BS&T lenders, since Vandroiy isn't a lender.

And I think he ended up selecting special secret option three (3):

• Wait for BS&T to default and collect your winnings

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████